FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeda modern classic prog album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:54
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Otherworldly in a beautiful way, both artwork and music: Yes and Roger Dean's music. 
They are related to each other.  That is why there has been such a long relationship
between the two. 

Roger Dean said in an article that the bands often took him to the studios during recording sessions, just to catch the atmosphere of a new album and to put that atmosphere in his artwork. As he said, he avoid that as much as he could, because it was impossible to catch it at recording sessions, and yet he was boring to listen to a band's member who is to repeat his part to infinity.
Roger Dean wasnt skillful with airbrushing as some others airbrushing painters and illustrators [it was pretty dilatory technique]. However, his airbrushing skies at Yes albums are the music, and it really seems that the band and Roger Dean were / are "connected in mind".

Edited by Komandant Shamal - May 02 2015 at 03:19
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 03:18
The word 'classic' often refers to something that has been around for whatever (lengthy) amount of time.
'Instant' classics may fade into the mass of 'lesser' works over time.
For me, a 'modern classic Prog album' would be Magenta's 27 Club. It is easily up there with the bona fide 70's classics, as far as my perception goes. Magma's Emehntehtt Re is another. But they are few and far between.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 04:26
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Radiohead's OK Computer is often mentioned as a prog album. I wouldn't call them a prog band, but I might see the argument for that album and maybe Kid A being prog. It's not prog like we're used to, but obviously Radiohead is one of the most popular and revered bands since the 90s and those albums top the charts of best albums everywhere. They sound like Can and Pink Floyd so why not. Again, we can't be expecting the exact same kind of sound that will be labeled as prog, it has to be something relatively new. 

OK Computer is probably one of the best possible answers if there has to be one. Pretty much universally acclaimed, appears on every best-of list imaginable, a combination of both musical ambition and popularity through perfectly capturing the zeitgeist.
Though, of course, the prog community (and Radiohead themselves) probably don't see Radiohead as typically prog enough to call it a modern prog classic, or a new CttE, or whatever. But as others have said, I don't think 'a new CttE' is a meaningful idea, so this'll do.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 04:47
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Deloused in the Comatorium
Yea, De-Loused in the Comatorium, released in June 2003, already is a classic album par excellence with such strong influence on numberous contamporary prog bands.

By the way, aside of great music what the classic album ought to contain, and to be well sold, and to get many serious reviews, and yet to be influential on newcomers, and so on, I think that an album artwork also must be great in the case of an album which we called classic. That's very important thing, that an artwork is somehow following the music ideas that are presented on an album. And The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium album artwork is just another nice example of that (nothing less than in the OP mentioned CttE with Roger Dean's masterpiece artwork painted with an ancient air-brush, though very modern technique at that time).

Well, you have to open up your copy of CttE to behold true masterpieces of art, IMO. The "art" on that front cover is nothing more than atrocious as far as I'm concerned.
I mentioned that CttE artwork album jacket as a whole, and as an Applied Art masterpiece as well, where the artwork at front page that is great as a part of the whole Applied Art great work, i.e. CttE album jackett. For example, that's like some cover of the book of gorgeous illustrations where the illustrations are inside of the book, and where the cover is only slightly hint of what's inside.
Furthermore, the front cover of CttE is a great example of album covers that design was made (almost) only by letters, and using that legendary Yes logo for the first time.
Last but not least, Roger Dean's choice of colours at the front cover of CttE is so wonderful and also testify of the true artist.

From Wiki: 

Quote The album's sleeve was designed and illustrated by English artist Roger Dean, who had also designed the cover for Fragile (1971). It marks the first use of the Yes "bubble" logo. Some of the photography used was shot by Martyn Adelman who had played in The Syn with Squire. On reflection of its artwork, Dean said: "There were a couple of ideas that merged there. It was of a waterfall constantly refreshing itself, pouring from all sides of the lake, but where was the water coming from? I was looking for an image to portray that"
You didn't mention the CttE album jacket as a whole, but I understood that's what you meant, and I acknowledged that by praising the art inside of the album jacket even though I don't like the front cover, didn't I?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 05:32
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Otherworldly in a beautiful way, both artwork and music: Yes and Roger Dean's music. 
They are related to each other.  That is why there has been such a long relationship
between the two. 

Roger Dean said in an article that the bands often took him to the studios during recording sessions, just to catch the atmosphere of a new album and to put that atmosphere in his artwork. As he said, he avoid that as much as he could, because it was impossible to catch it at recording sessions, and yet he was boring to listen to a band's member who is to repeat his part to infinity.
Roger Dean wasnt skillful with airbrushing as some others airbrushing painters and illustrators [it was pretty dilatory technique]. However, his airbrushing skies at Yes albums are the music, and it really seems that the band and Roger Dean were / are "connected in mind".
Confused I'm getting confused as to which Serbian is responding to which post. This post seems to be replying to my replies to Svetonio and Robert. I know Svetonio has decreed never to respond to my posts but I wasn't expecting Pjer to answer on his behalf. Hey-ho.

Yes, I also read that article and in his book Views, when asked about the relationship between his pictures and the music, he says that he rarely heard the music before doing an album cover. "I cannot say that the music was ever a direct inspiration for my work."

Roger Dean was (and still is) skilful with an airbrush, but as I said - Close To The Edge is not a piece of airbrushed artwork. There are marked differences between artwork made with an airbrush and one made using cans of aerosol paint, firstly his airbrush art is done in water colour whereas the aerosol can is cellulose car enamel (acrylic aerosols that graffiti artists use are a modern invention) which is why the marbling effect you see in a lot of his early work stops once he moved over to using the airbrush. Cans are extremely difficult to control especially when working on small-scale pieces of work and that shows in the finished pieces, compare CttE with the incredible fine-touch he achieved on the Tales cover and the difference in technique is glaringly obvious.

So when you look at his actual airbrush works starting with the massive four-picture set he did for Yessongs the skill and control is as good as any other illustrator, his work doesn't show quite the same level of fine-art touch that H R Giger had but only because his style does not require it. For your information it is not a dilatory technique (aside from painstakingly cutting sheets of Frisket™ Film to mask out areas) it is actually a pretty immediate technique especially when working free-hand, therefore skies are a doddle and can be knocked out in a few minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My opinions here are not just stuff I've read in a book - as a teenager in the 1970s I learnt and copied Roger Dean's methods and techniques and have produced artworks in both aerosol car enamel and airbrush. I'm not claiming to be anywhere near even approaching his skill and brilliance, (I'm actually a crap painter but I don't do it for acclaim, it is merely a hobby), but I have experience in the methods he used.

Edited by Dean - May 02 2015 at 06:03
What?
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Close To The Edge is not a piece of airbrushed artwork. There are marked differences between artwork made with an airbrush and one made using cans of aerosol paint, firstly his airbrush art is done in water colour whereas the aerosol can is cellulose car enamel (acrylic aerosols that graffiti artists use are a modern invention) which is why the marbling effect you see in a lot of his early work
I believe you but it's not some special revelation that someone would be flattered by amazement as you probably expected, and i will explain you why. If you said that Roger Dean did do CttE front cover with aerosol car paints, it's ok, why not, but If i say that an aibrush was used at this cover of an album by Smak released in 1980.....

.....then everybody can see that effectivelly it's the same thing on that kind of covers ie that "big" difference in used technique is invisible on the final product. 

Edited by Komandant Shamal - May 02 2015 at 07:22
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 07:42

I believe you but it's not some special revelation that someone would be flattered by amazement as you probably expected, and i will explain you why. If you said that Roger Dean did do CttE front cover with aerosol car paints, it's ok, why not, but If i say that an aibrush was used at this cover of an album by Smak released in 1980.....

:: insert pointless cover image here ::

.....then everybody can see that effectivelly it's the same thing on that kind of covers ie that "big" difference in used technique is invisible on the final product. 

:: insert pointless cover image here :: 

Ermm

The Close to the Edge cover was not painted with an airbrush. Roger Dean didn't even own an airbrush at that time, his first airbrushed cover was Yessongs. The CttE inner cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint (See Views by Roger Dean page 105) - he wasn't happy with the final picture and you don't have to look that closely at it to see that the masking and spraying wasn't that great. 
So, you were saying?...
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:11

Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Could you name any bands that have made a really strong impression that are outside of the Anglo-centric realm?
Of course I can. There were a number of 100%PROG bands and solo artists that were released in 70s some classic albums with a really strong impression as you said, and in the same time they were outside Anglo-centric realm, e.g. Santana, Can, Le Orme, Igra Staklenih Perli, to new a few.
However, when an Anglo-centric prog fan is to think about prog in the way that only English symphonic [and related] bands from 70s are prog then 90% material of those bands that were outside of mentioned Anglo-centric realm will not sound as a prog to the ears of an Anglo-centric fan, maybe they will sound to his/her ears "proggy" at best.
This is a straw man argument and not very good one at that. You are still peddling this unsubstantiated hypothesis and now, since no one has taken your bait, you are inventing answers to justify your unproven opinion.
What?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:52
It seems to me that things are too fractured today. Not producing a genuine classic out of this particular age may not be peculiar to Prog. It's probably true of every music genre. I don't see any wave of support for any artist/artists anywhere. Maybe I just don't get around enough.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 11:03
After thinking about it, I honestly think an album being a 'classic' is all a matter of opinion. For example, I don't like many so-called 'classics' of prog. I don't like CttE, Thick as a Brick gets boring after awhile, I only like 'Dancing With the Moonlit Knight' from SEBtP, and I don't like ITCOTCK. When you think about it, it's pretty difficult to call an album you don't like a classic so that's why I think it's a matter of opinion. For example, I find AC/DC's 'Let There be Rock' album to be one of the greatest hard rock albums ever made and believe it to be a classic, but many would say 'Highway to Hell' or 'Back in Black' are classics. While I love those albums too, they didn't leave as much of an impact on me as 'Let There be Rock' did.

CttE is seen as one of if not the greatest prog album ever made, however I disagree. As far as Yes goes, I think 'Fragile' is a much better album, and it's among my favorites, so of course it leaves more of an impact on me. While it would make sense for an album to be called a classic once it has a huge influence on bands to come or something like that, there will always be people who don't like the 'classic' album. I think it's logical for different people to all have their different list of classic albums.

Edited by Pastmaster - May 02 2015 at 11:24
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

After thinking about it, I honestly think an album being a 'classic' is all a matter of opinion. For example, I don't like many so-called 'classics' of prog. I don't like CttE, Thick as a Brick gets boring after awhile, I only like 'Dancing With the Moonlit Knight' from SEBtP, and I don't like ITCOTCK. When you think about it, it's pretty difficult to call an album you don't like a classic so that's why I think it's a matter of opinion. For example, I find AC/DC's 'Let There be Rock' album to be one of the greatest hard rock albums ever made and believe it to be a classic, but many would say 'Highway to Hell' or 'Back in Black' are classics. While I love those albums too, they didn't leave as much of an impact on me as 'Let There be Rock' did.

CttE is seen as one of if not the greatest prog album ever made, however I disagree. As far as Yes goes, I think 'Fragile' is a much better album, and it's among my favorites, so of course it leaves more of an impact on me. While it would make sense for an album to be called a classic once it has a huge influence on bands to come or something like that, there will always be people who don't like the 'classic' album. I think it's logical for different people to all have their different list of classic albums.

Differences in choices of classics, I've seen, can be reflected in different groups, where the vast majority of a group will believe that such and such album is a classic or the classic from a band, while another group would have a majority disagree. Speaking of Yes, most big time progheads of course cite Close To The Edge as the crowning achievement of the band, but outside of those circles I've seen most people instead root for Fragile. Some folks here might be stunned to see how many times musicians featured on Amoeba Music's "What's In My Bag?" series picked Fragile. Perhaps, taking into account both the opinions of various progheads and outsiders, it can be said that the most quintessentially classic Yes album is in fact Fragile
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 14:43

[So, no IQ The Road Of Bones is not such an album - if it achieves comparable status with Script for a Jester's Tear or Misplaced Childhood (which it won't) that still will not make it a classic album]

I see it ranked much higher than those albums on multiple lists, including ours.
Chart ranking (especially for a recently released album) does not make it a classic album.
As much as find most things you argue with to be strenuous, this is absolutely correct. Brain Salad Surgery is almost always considered a classic. Yet it is beat by very unknown albums like Modry Efekt and Boris. The only one that could possibly be considered a classic later in my mind is The Raven (although something is telling me that Swans - To Be Kind will also be one).
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Matthew _Gill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 14:50
Controlling Crowds Part IV is a class album if you do indeed class Archive as prog. 

Rajaz and OK Computer are great albums made away from the Golden Age of Prog. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 20:00
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Differences in choices of classics, I've seen, can be reflected in different groups, where the vast majority of a group will believe that such and such album is a classic or the classic from a band, while another group would have a majority disagree. Speaking of Yes, most big time progheads of course cite Close To The Edge as the crowning achievement of the band, but outside of those circles I've seen most people instead root for Fragile. Some folks here might be stunned to see how many times musicians featured on Amoeba Music's "What's In My Bag?" series picked Fragile. Perhaps, taking into account both the opinions of various progheads and outsiders, it can be said that the most quintessentially classic Yes album is in fact Fragile
Well, on the side of the great epics like Close to the Edge  or Gates of DeliriumHeart of the Sunrise is their best song imo.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 21:28
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

It seems to me that things are too fractured today. Not producing a genuine classic out of this particular age may not be peculiar to Prog. It's probably true of every music genre. I don't see any wave of support for any artist/artists anywhere. Maybe I just don't get around enough.

Yup, for instance the popularity of Deloused has dipped greatly...to the extent that TMV got voted out against Heep on this forum.  There used to be Dream Theater threads left, right and centre on this forum; now they only get into the conversation (EVEN on the DT appreciation thread) when they have a new album.  Where are The Decemberists now; their albums were the toast of this forum at the time of their release.  My point being that the popularity of modern 'classics' peaks pretty early and they fade away from public memory rather quickly.  And it's not because they are bad vis-a-vis the classics of the 70s; it's simply that the music scene is too fragmented today and a small hardcore fanbase cannot prop up the popularity of an album for too long.  I would say Kid A was the last prog classic and something dramatic needs to happen in the prog world (and the music industry in general) for that feat to be repeated.  If Kid A is considered too weird and not 'inclusive' enough, then OK Computer but that's it.  The likes of Genesis or Yes have either not made albums in years or not made albums that enough people care about and yet they remain in the conversation practically all the time while even a band like Porcupine Tree is not much discussed any more after they stopped making new albums.  And PT did have crossover appeal; they pulled in fans who didn't otherwise care much for prog.

Edited by rogerthat - May 02 2015 at 21:54
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 22:31
 To answer your question--don't think there will be another prog album as note for note perfect as CTTE.Thumbs Up
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 02:21

Ermm

The Close to the Edge cover was not painted with an airbrush. Roger Dean didn't even own an airbrush at that time, his first airbrushed cover was Yessongs. The CttE inner cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint (See Views by Roger Dean page 105) - he wasn't happy with the final picture and you don't have to look that closely at it to see that the masking and spraying wasn't that great. 
So, you were saying?...
Roger Dean used cans of car enamel paints because he didnt own yet an airbrush at that time as you read or he didn't know yet how to use that instrument on the right way as i speculated [with an aerosol can of paint it couldnt happen that, like airbrush if you dont know to handle well, begin to bleed the paint unevenly and that sh*t, this is the most important thing, cannot be fixed anymore, and all work could be destroyed in a blink of eye] but it doesnt matter actually because of his intention.
His intention was to use aerosol can enamel paint just for an effect - to blending one color to another like a smoke, or as Italians would say, to make sfumato. 
Effectively, it's the same thing if he did it with an airbrush instead of the cans of aerosol enamel paint because the difference of those techniques is invisible at the final product ie CttE album jacket. Thats what i said.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:26

Ermm

So, you were saying?...
Roger Dean used cans of car enamel paints because he didnt own yet an airbrush at that time as you read or he didn't know yet how to use that instrument on the right way as i speculated [with an aerosol can of paint it couldnt happen that, like airbrush if you dont know to handle well, begin to bleed the paint unevenly and that sh*t, this is the most important thing, cannot be fixed anymore, and all work could be destroyed in a blink of eye] but it doesnt matter actually because of his intention.
His intention was to use aerosol can enamel paint just for an effect - to blending one color to another like a smoke, or as Italians would say, to make sfumato. 
Effectively, it's the same thing if he did it with an airbrush instead of the cans of aerosol enamel paint because the difference of those techniques is invisible at the final product ie CttE album jacket. Thats what i said.
Once again: Ermm 

I said the INNER cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint. Got that? Has that sunk into your skull yet? I'm not talking about the simple two-colour blend on the front cover - that is such an arse-numbingly simple effect to do that it's not worthy of being discussed - but if you insist - no I cannot tell that CttE front cover was painted with cans of aerosol or an airbrush HOWEVER I CAN tell that that Smak cover was NOT painted with cans of aerosol paint (I also think that it could have been done better, it seems a little sloppy to me but maybe that's the effect they were going for). If you cannot see this then that really does not concern me, you would not be my first or second choice as an expert on art.

HOWEVER - I was NOT talking about the front cover I was talking about the INNER cover...

The picture on the inside of the gatefold was painted using cans of aerosol paint - the sky - the lake - the rocks - the waterfalls - the clouds & mist - the islands - all painted using cans of aerosol paint, the fine-detail and outlining was done by over-painting in ink. Got that? He didn't use aerosol cans  for "effect"; he used them to make figurative art - the Octopus cover for Gentle Giant was car enamel, as were the first two Greenslade covers, the Mowtown Scarab and Osibisa Woyaya.

It is harder to do than using an airbrush because the nozzle and the airflow cannot be adjusted nor can they be regulated, it takes great technique and ability to make even the simplest composite images using them. Roger Dean perfected his technique over many years and was exceptionally good at it, however I can tell that CttE inner cover was not painted with an airbrush. If you cannot that does not concern me.

I repeat for the umpteenth time: His first airbrushed artwork was for Yessongs - the floating islands in space ("escape") was car enamel and the rest ("arrival", "awakening", "pathways") were all airbrush, his technique on those paintings shows that he knew how to use the instrument.

I present verifiable facts and the benefit of my experience with both techniques and you answer with speculation. All this reveals is how little you know of this subject.

/edit: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Switching from aerosol cans to airbrush is actually very easy. It does not surprise me that Roger Dean's first airbrushed artwork was of a high standard. Mastering airflow and nozzle setting takes but a few practice runs to perfect, as does mixing paint to the correct consistency. What takes a while getting use to is switching from one colour to another - with cans of paint you just put down one can and pick up another, the ambidextrous can even use one in each hand (that's not difficult either) but with an airbrush you have to clean the brush thoroughly first and that takes time. I partly resolved this by buying a second airbrush and you'll see many airbrush artists will have several brushes set-up with a broad palette of colours. 

Edited by Dean - May 03 2015 at 05:02
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Yup, for instance the popularity of Deloused has dipped greatly...to the extent that TMV got voted out against Heep on this forum.  There used to be Dream Theater threads left, right and centre on this forum; now they only get into the conversation (EVEN on the DT appreciation thread) when they have a new album.  Where are The Decemberists now; their albums were the toast of this forum at the time of their release.  My point being that the popularity of modern 'classics' peaks pretty early and they fade away from public memory rather quickly.  And it's not because they are bad vis-a-vis the classics of the 70s; it's simply that the music scene is too fragmented today and a small hardcore fanbase cannot prop up the popularity of an album for too long.  I would say Kid A was the last prog classic and something dramatic needs to happen in the prog world (and the music industry in general) for that feat to be repeated.  If Kid A is considered too weird and not 'inclusive' enough, then OK Computer but that's it.  The likes of Genesis or Yes have either not made albums in years or not made albums that enough people care about and yet they remain in the conversation practically all the time while even a band like Porcupine Tree is not much discussed any more after they stopped making new albums.  And PT did have crossover appeal; they pulled in fans who didn't otherwise care much for prog.
I agree. I think outside the rarefied atmosphere of Prog OK Computer has achieved general Classic status, (Kid A less so perhaps), but it managed that in spite of being seen as Progressive Rock even in the loose sense of the word... it was probably regarded as being a "Classic" long before it was accepted as being "Prog" here.  But within the confines of what we view as being Progressive Rock the fragmentation of sub-subgenres and tastes means that the chances of finding modern albums that have wide appeal within the genre as a whole are pretty slim.
What?
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:55
I suspect one would find a lot more dissent against modern proposed classics than against the usual '70s suspects. I would only go as far as allowing for classics to be raised for particular sub-genres of prog; I really can't think of anything so fundamentally and widely acclaimed to count as a modern "prog" classic in the completely unqualified sense. In a way that's depressing, I suppose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>