Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 11:33
Awesome lap from Lewis to take poll, and as predicted that's a new lap record as well. Amzing job from Vandoorne to end up 12th and Pascal Wehrlein to put the Manor 16th ahead of both Saubers and Renault's and a Force India, and to hilight just how much faster the times are this year his 1:32.8 would have put him on the front row last year.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 12:53
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yep, going to Baku for it's first ever race, though I refuse to call it the European GP, it's further east than Baghdad! 

Well, I always thought Azerbaijan was/usually see it put under "Europe" (it is on the correct side of the Ural Mountains) but I grant, it is on the very edge of what could be considered 
Looks like a simple though interesting circuit. 

Yup, good result for Lewis, another Mercedes 1-2. Can we expect another year of utter dominance? If so, this team has to go on the mantle for best ever, 3 straight years of untouchable status. 
Indeed some surprising results in this qualifying. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 12:55

Baku will be like any race, it'll keep going as long as the promotor keeps throwing silly money at it, and the promotor here is govenrment backed.

ShockerLOL

Also I always felt the European GP should go to a new track every year, since ya know...it'd be truly European in that case, and could host some one time/specialty ones, go to an older track, test some new places. 
It was later I realized the European GP was actually just a vehicle to capitalize on Schumacher, then Alonso, maniaLOL
That said, cool they are going to Baku, and I would like it to be a one timer so they can try new venues in the future but as you say, all about that $$ especially if gov backed

Edited by JJLehto - April 02 2016 at 12:56
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 18:40
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Baku will be like any race, it'll keep going as long as the promotor keeps throwing silly money at it, and the promotor here is govenrment backed.

ShockerLOL

Also I always felt the European GP should go to a new track every year, since ya know...it'd be truly European in that case, and could host some one time/specialty ones, go to an older track, test some new places. 
It was later I realized the European GP was actually just a vehicle to capitalize on Schumacher, then Alonso, maniaLOL
That said, cool they are going to Baku, and I would like it to be a one timer so they can try new venues in the future but as you say, all about that $$ especially if gov backed

Actually I think the European GP goes back to the 80's, first run at Brands Hatch in 85 (Mansell's first win) if I remember right. I agree with you about having the European GP movign around every year, would actually be quite cool.

I would be very surprised if Merc don't win both titles this year but Ferrari certainly seem to be very close to them on performance, certainly in race trim at least.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 12:19
good race k
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 12:51
Missed it :(
I really need to find a way to live stream the races.

Woo Nico! Time to build way overly optimistic and naive hope this is the year he can best Lewis for the titleLOL
Kimi 2nd, kind of forgot he exists Cry

Looks like a rough day for Vettel who apparently never got started and Lewis being contacted. 

Edited by JJLehto - April 03 2016 at 12:55
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:38
Could have been an amazing fight for the win but Vettel's engine blew on the warm up lap, Raikkonen had a bad start and Hamitlon got nerffed by Botas at turn 1, leaving Rosberg to cruise and collect. Some great racing behin, particularly impressed with Vandoorne and Wehrlein.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:48
Yeah, seems Ferrari isn't too far off at all, but will they consistently be able to battle for wins, or simply occupy a close yet solid 2nd only? We shall see, I wont assume they can compete until I see it. 

Indeed, I wonder if the Vandoorne result is a good sign for McLaren, or just a randomly crazy good race. I have to hope McLaren will be better this year, at least consistently scoring points, but the field seems yet again VERY competitive from top to bottom. 

Never heard of this Wehrlein but seems he is off to a hot start. Looks like he is from DTM, seems that series is always producing quality drivers!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 16:45
Missed the race as well (and no replay it seems) but glad it hear it wasn't a bust and good for Nico!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 05:59
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yeah, seems Ferrari isn't too far off at all, but will they consistently be able to battle for wins, or simply occupy a close yet solid 2nd only? We shall see, I wont assume they can compete until I see it. 

Indeed, I wonder if the Vandoorne result is a good sign for McLaren, or just a randomly crazy good race. I have to hope McLaren will be better this year, at least consistently scoring points, but the field seems yet again VERY competitive from top to bottom. 

Never heard of this Wehrlein but seems he is off to a hot start. Looks like he is from DTM, seems that series is always producing quality drivers!

Yeah, here's hoping we get a more straightforward run from them in China so we can see how they really stack up. Mind you, China has always been a Merc track so....

The McLaren was definitely good this weekend, Button reckons he would have been fighting for a top 6 if his ERS hadn't packed up, he was just cruising behind Grosjean in the early laps.

As the reigning DTM champion Wehrlein was always going to be one to keep an eye on, I loved the way he just got stuck into the Saubers yesterday, and nearly beat them both (and he did beat both Force India's, who had arguably the worst race I've seen from them for years).

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 15:57
Yeah, basically until I see otherwise I assume Merc has this season on lockdown again. Seems we keep thinking a team is on the verge of threatening but Merc just jumps another hurdle higher to maintain the gap. Really has been something else. Hoping beyond hope Nico can pull it off this yearLOL

No doubt DTM produces some good drivers 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 05:46
looks like it might be an interesting F1 tomorrow k
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 14:04
It should be on early/late enough for me to watch it. Thumbs Up
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 01:21
Nico on pole. Hmmm interesting!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 09:31
At this rate Nico is going to get the title handed to him on a plate. Vettel ruined Ferrari's race, he had no need to dodge Kvyat as there was plenty of space between them and then he hits his team mate! Hamilton seems to have loads of bad luck this year. Bottas runs into him in Bahrain, gearbox penalty for China, ERS failure in qualifying and then gets collected by Nasr who was dodging Raikkonen as he came back onto the circuit. All made for a very entertaining race at least.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 09:52
Vettel should have taken the inside line so there wouldn't have been a space for Kvyat to try and overtake.

At least it wasn't a complete disaster for Kimi, it looked a lot worse before the safety car.

Edited by Vompatti - April 17 2016 at 10:09
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 15:16
I enjoyed that one, and am glad to see Nico's winning streak!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 01:52
Oh sh*t, I know this is a 21 race season but this is a pretty great start for Nico, helped out by Hamilton's not so great luck. Long way to go, but I'm very excited by this start! IF he can maintain his usual form, he may have a realistic shot at the title for once. Obviously Lewis can go on some 8 win streak at any time and a falter from Nico wipes it out, but this is a good start. 

Forgot about Indycar, Simon Pagenaud is off to a good start himself

Edited by JJLehto - April 18 2016 at 02:17
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 06:25
I'll say, 2 seconds and now victory at Long Beach.

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 19:29
Kind of a questionable finish to yesterday's Long Beach GP, as Simon was only issued a warning, which was pretty much a 'good to go' sign, but hey, if it kept Dixy from winning, I'm fine with that. 

And Nico IS off to an amazing start, although I still feel like if Lewis' luck turns around, Nico's in trouble.  I don't really care for either driver, but Nico is just fast, while Lewis is fast AND can overtake like no one else.  If Nico has to actually race anyone, he starts to struggle a bit.  At least Ferrari is trying to make it interesting this year, while McLaren is still kind of embarrassing themselves. Ugh.

And I have to say, the racing in ALL series has been pretty good so far this year.  F1 has been interesting, Indy is still doing their thing and NASCAR's low downforce package has made for some great racing so far!  Hope it keeps up!

Edited by MillsLayne - April 18 2016 at 19:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>