Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 19:26
Alright I'm off to listen to Octave. See how this goes.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:29
Well that was good. I basically enjoyed it but certainly no great album. I can see why it's not a 'core 7' but far from being a bad album.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 20:51
Octave was the last album with Mike Pinder, who contributed only one song "One Step into the Light", that has a reference to playing the mellotron (even though at that point he had switched over to the Chamberlain.

Yesesis, can you share a little more your thoughts on "The Present"?
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 21:03
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Octave was the last album with Mike Pinder, who contributed only one song "One Step into the Light", that has a reference to playing the mellotron (even though at that point he had switched over to the Chamberlain.

Gosh that was a few albums ago now. I just remember liking most of the songs. I remember being pleasantly surprised with the whole album, for sure. I definitely liked it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 21:22
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Gosh that was a few albums ago now. I just remember liking most of the songs. I remember being pleasantly surprised with the whole album, for sure. I definitely liked it.

Tongue  If I had to pick a favorite from the post magnificent 7 it would probably be the Present.  Least commercial sounding and most consistent.  But I don't think it's as good as any of those 7, well, maybe "On the Threshold".  I don't listen much to DOFP but acknowledge its significance and influence.  It also spurred some less capable artists onto recording with an orchestra, but we probably shouldn't hold that against them
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 21:31

Tongue  If I had to pick a favorite from the post magnificent 7 it would probably be the Present.  Least commercial sounding and most consistent.  But I don't think it's as good as any of those 7, well, maybe "On the Threshold".  I don't listen much to DOFP but acknowledge its significance and influence.  It also spurred some less capable artists onto recording with an orchestra, but we probably shouldn't hold that against them

Ok, I wondered why you were asking about that specific album lol. Yeah I really liked it. Maybe just a tad less than TOSOL, but definitely more than Sur la Mer. DOFP is my favorite from them, I think it's darn near a masterpiece. All of those 'Great 7' or whatever they're called are great(obviously), but that one is special imo.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 22:45
This weekend IŽll promise to start listen Octave and those other later Moody-albums! BTW are those albums after Other Side that kind you need to listen them?

Edit: Watched earlier thread and some recommend them and some not. So I guess I will listen them all.

Edited by Mortte - April 03 2020 at 22:48
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 01:17
Just listened Octave and it was much better than I remembered! I remembered it was much more modern sounding. Anyway it will not rise into level of their greatest albums, but to me into same level as "Every Good Boy" and "Seventh Sojourn".

Hey Yesesis, when you have started to like Moodies, have you already tried also Procol Harum? If not then recommended albums are Shine on Brightly (my fav), a Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel & Exotic Bird and Fruit.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened Octave and it was much better than I remembered! I remembered it was much more modern sounding. Anyway it will not rise into level of their greatest albums, but to me into same level as "Every Good Boy" and "Seventh Sojourn".

Hey Yesesis, when you have started to like Moodies, have you already tried also Procol Harum? If not then recommended albums are Shine on Brightly (my fav), a Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel & Exotic Bird and Fruit.

I'd second that!Clap

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:12
Ok, I'm listening to the Magnificent Moodies right now(right in the middle of it). Well, it doesn't really scream 60's for me like it does for you(Yesesis) but maybe that's because I usually associate the sixties with psychedelia and hippy kind of stuff which this is definitely not. 

Anyway, this doesn't really do a lot for me to be honest but it's not really bad. Just not what I'm used to I guess. It's sort of like white guys doing mo-town really which is why they chose their name. Unlike the later stuff this music sure fits their name. Maybe they should have changed their name after this? ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 04 2020 at 08:13
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, I'm listening to the Magnificent Moodies right now(right in the middle of it). Well, it doesn't really scream 60's for me like it does for you(Yesesis) but maybe that's because I usually associate the sixties with psychedelia and hippy kind of stuff which this is definitely not. 

Anyway, this doesn't really do a lot for me to be honest but it's not really bad. Just not what I'm used to I guess. It's sort of like white guys doing mo-town really which is why they chose their name. Unlike the later stuff this music sure fits their name. Maybe they should have changed their name after this? ;)
I have had quite the same thoughts about their debut. Not bad but really not the greatest sixties album. I think I have listened it only few times (maybe have to listen that after listened those newer albums) but what I remembered B-side was better than A (I think it was also recorded little bit later).

But when talking about white guys doing motown stuff I think the Young Rascals/the Rascals has been the band that has succeeded that the best.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:27

can't agree there...I think the last few of the magnificent 7 are the best.  But I liked Octave quite a bit at the time.  I don't think it has held up in my esteem as much over the years.  I'll have to listen again. 

BTW, does anyone listen to the Ric Edelman show in US?  He is a financial advisor who does a weekly show that different stations pickup.  As he goes to break, a lot of 70s and 80s music is played and I'm sure, based on his ego, that he is choosing the songs.  One of them is "You and Me" by the Moodys, from "Seventh Sojourn", the first 20 seconds or so.  

Edited by kenethlevine - April 04 2020 at 09:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:28

I have had quite the same thoughts about their debut. Not bad but really not the greatest sixties album. I think I have listened it only few times (maybe have to listen that after listened those newer albums) but what I remembered B-side was better than A (I think it was also recorded little bit later).

But when talking about white guys doing motown stuff I think the Young Rascals/the Rascals has been the band that has succeeded that the best.

Could be. I'm sure there were others too. Sometimes it's referred to as "blue eyed soul." Anyway, I sometimes get the Rascals mixed up with the Loving Spoonful but I'm really not quite sure why. I guess maybe because they were similar sounding(imo). The early Moodies stuff was in that same ballpark no doubt. 

I remember my brother's friend had a friend who I went with to get tickets to see them(actually wound up going with my mom since my brother's friend(not his friend)couldn't make it due to being sick)wasn't a prog rock fan but liked the Moody Blues because he was a fan of British Invasion bands so he wasn't into Yes, Genesis, PF, ELP, etc but was into The Rolling Stones, Kinks, DC5, Beatles, etc. He apparently lumped the Moodies in with those bands.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:31
in the right mood, I can enjoy 80s Moodies.
I've never liked Octave though, I found it quite boring, uninteresting (a better description).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 11:29

can't agree there...I think the last few of the magnificent 7 are the best.  But I liked Octave quite a bit at the time.  I don't think it has held up in my esteem as much over the years.  I'll have to listen again. 

BTW, does anyone listen to the Ric Edelman show in US?  He is a financial advisor who does a weekly show that different stations pickup.  As he goes to break, a lot of 70s and 80s music is played and I'm sure, based on his ego, that he is choosing the songs.  One of them is "You and Me" by the Moodys, from "Seventh Sojourn", the first 20 seconds or so.  
Well, I think songs are not as great in "Every Good Boy" & "Seventh Sojourn" as in "Days of Future" - "Question of Balance" -albums.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 11:31

Could be. I'm sure there were others too. Sometimes it's referred to as "blue eyed soul." Anyway, I sometimes get the Rascals mixed up with the Loving Spoonful but I'm really not quite sure why. I guess maybe because they were similar sounding(imo). The early Moodies stuff was in that same ballpark no doubt. 

I remember my brother's friend had a friend who I went with to get tickets to see them(actually wound up going with my mom since my brother's friend(not his friend)couldn't make it due to being sick)wasn't a prog rock fan but liked the Moody Blues because he was a fan of British Invasion bands so he wasn't into Yes, Genesis, PF, ELP, etc but was into The Rolling Stones, Kinks, DC5, Beatles, etc. He apparently lumped the Moodies in with those bands.
My brother has also always liked the Moody Blues & Procol (also some Floyd, but not really before Dark Side-albums), he liked much classic 60-70 rock, but never been into Yes, Genesis (well like eighties stuff), ELP or KC.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 11:49
There's only a handful of studio albums that I never heard or owned and Octave is one of them. I'm in no hurry to get it though. Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 19:08

Yeah it doesn't even sound like the same band to me at all. To me it sounds like just a very generic 60's album. Really uninspired. But the next one..
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 19:14

Procol Harum? They sing that Pale song from the 60's I know. Good song but I always thought they were a one hit wonder. But yeah I guess I could maybe listen to something by them after I finish all these Moody Blues albums here lol.

So now off to listen to... Keys of the Kingdom. Uh oh. This is an album I've been warned not to listen to by a couple different people now. Well going in with lowest possible expectations here. I mean, how bad can it be?
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 20:21
Well that wasn't bad at all. I actually liked all those song, but didn't love them. Seemed far from the glory day of the 'Magnificent 7' but still.. really not bad. I'd even say I liked it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>