Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 09:54
My opinion is that it's okay or I don't care if it works in the context of the thread. For example, discussion is on favorite prog albums from a particular year or location, and someone mentions a non-prog album as a favorite, I am okay with it because it could be saying as much as I like prog, there was this. Or I have no problem with people making a case for an artist or album being prog even if I disagree because there is a lot of personal opinion about prog. The only time it does bother me if it had nothing to do with the thread. I don't have an example but, for example, mentioning Abba in a Porcupine Tree appreciation thread might seem like someone is trolling or has some other agenda. On the other hand, threads go off topic from time to time and that's just the nature of these things.

So, long rambling aside, I'm generally okay with listing non-prog in prog threads.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 10:10
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I won't complain for that either, even I wouldn't mind to hear some more opinions about listing non-Prog bands in Prog threads. 

Oh my God, someone list non-prog bands in a prog thread ! Call the prog police LOL

I hope you're joking like this current thread was a joke from the onset...erh, at least I hope so Confused
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 13:50

To avoid misunderstandings, I'd like to repeat that my current opinion is:

Personally, I think it's okay to list non-Prog bands in Prog threads, as long it's clearly stated, they are non-Prog, for not to risk confuse the Prog term.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 15:04
PA becoming all-music would be silly, but on the topic of prog (progrock?) definitions I’m all for be inclusive rather than exclusive. In the end, I’m looking for good music, and don’t care if the universe, wikipedia and it’s mother define it as prog or not. I’m more fan of the term “progressive” and moving the music in the new directions, which is how all of this began. It does feel a bit ironic to limit the music when it’s called “progressive rock”.

Not that all music on PA has to fit into a set of definitions, you can find so much varied music here. Partly because bands are entered rather than albums, which means a band starting with death metal, moving through prog and ending up with pop has all the albums included. Just there is a reason to be inclusive rather than exclusive about bands.

[QUOTE=David_D]Personally, I think it's okay to list non-Prog bands in Prog threads, as long it's clearly stated, they are non-Prog, for not to risk confuse the Prog term.

As if the term hasn’t been confusing and the topic of discussions for decades.

Edited by Zeph - August 06 2022 at 15:06
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:12
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

My opinion is that it's okay or I don't care if it works in the context of the thread. For example, discussion is on favorite prog albums from a particular year or location, and someone mentions a non-prog album as a favorite, I am okay with it because it could be saying as much as I like prog, there was this.

Do you here assume that the someone has told, the album in question is not considered Prog?

Edited by David_D - August 07 2022 at 06:18
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:37
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Personally, I think it's okay to list non-Prog bands in Prog threads, as long it's clearly stated, they are non-Prog, for not to risk confuse the Prog term.

As if the term hasn’t been confusing and the topic of discussions for decades.

You've got a point there, but for whatever reason, I'd surely prefer telling if albums listed in Prog threads are not considered to be Prog - actually, I feel pretty bad if not doing it. Unhappy

Edited by David_D - August 07 2022 at 06:42
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:50
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 07:05
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've been guilty in the past of adding non-prog bands to my prog blogs, but you usually manage to keep me in line. Remember Deacon Blue & Prefab Sprout? Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 08:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've been guilty in the past of adding non-prog bands to my prog blogs, but you usually manage to keep me in line. Remember Deacon Blue & Prefab Sprout? Tongue

I remember many of such cases, even you now usually state what genre they are, and thanks, Paul. Smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 09:14

But Cristi, would you advice me to try say to myself: Archives are for Prog (and related), but ALL the forums are kind of for all music.
Because whatever you think about it there's still this question for me what I can and can't live with.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 09:20

But Cristi, would you advice me to try say to myself: Archives are for Prog (and related), but ALL the forums are kind of for all music.
Because whatever you think about it there's still this question for me what I can and can't live with.

Like many others have already pointed out, your conclusions here are far fetched too put it mildly. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:04
David, there is a Dutch expression that seems quite appropriate to me here: I think you see too many bears on the road. Meaning: you make a problem of something that actually isn't a problem at all. It is your fixation on genre definitions that maybe makes that "you can't live with" people suggesting non-prog bands/albums in prog threads, but the PA forumers are generally coping quite well with it. Why? Probably because they're less interested in the genre labels we can stick on something than the music we are talking about.
Now, the PA database has an awkward inconvenience in that it can only stick one genre label to a band, and not several genre labels, and it cannot even differentiate genres between albums... This already leads to many discussions on the PA forums.

Your meta-discussions can be interesting, but you seem to have a tendency to turn things into something very normative that maybe suits you, but that are not meeting with much interest from the PA folks. So, at some point it might be good to just "let it go". I'm a kind of a "theoretical" guy too, but here on PA I prefer to talk about music.

Edited by suitkees - August 07 2022 at 10:05

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:54

But sorry for not really appreciating that you were talking about the past. Embarrassed

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:02

But sorry for not really appreciating that you were talking about the past. Embarrassed

That's probably why YouTube deleted my prog channel, because I was violating the Prog Descriptions Act, or something like that. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:04

That's probably why YouTube deleted my prog channel, because I was violating the Prog Descriptions Act, or something like that. Tongue

you probably broke some copyright rule they got. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you probably broke some copyright rule they got. 
I wondered about that too, but I only added music playlists made up of existing videos to my channels. I've never uploaded any music videos. The only way I can think of where I may have violated copyright is with the channel name "Prog Britannia" when the BBC has a similarly named documentary series titled "Prog Rock Britannia". Confused
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 12:08

That's really good to know, while I can tell that I'm getting more and more fond of Turkish Delight. Tongue

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 12:30
I have moved this topic to the "I Have a Question For You?" forum where one can ask any question because this topic would show on the front home page of the site (www.progarchives.com) and it might confuse and concern some visitors thinking there was some news that a change may be in the works, and it was already answered by page one that no plans have been presented for this to become an all music site. Some might argue that that ship had already sailed long ago with some of the additions to PA. :P That said, this seemed to be moving in a just for fun direction after Kee's post.   
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 12:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have moved this topic to the "I Have a Question For You?" forum where one can ask any question because this topic would show on the front home page of the site (www.progarchives.com) and it might confuse and concern some visitors thinking there was some news that a change may be in the works, and it was already answered by page one that no plans have been presented for this to become an all music site. Some might argue that that ship had already sailed long ago with some of the additions to PA. :P That said, this seemed to be moving in a just for fun direction after Kee's post.   

Perhaps PA should move to a Country & Western format. It may be more interesting to have a discussion about Merle Haggard rather than the 532nd poll about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 13:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Perhaps PA should move to a Country & Western format. It may be more interesting to have a discussion about Merle Haggard rather than the 532nd poll about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

This is why I love and spend much time in the General Music Discussions forum. Not for Merle Haggard per se, but for Dick Black and Ken.

Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>