Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 11:56
Okay, whatever. I spent so long trying to fix those issues on more than one occasion (managed to fix some), explained again above, and frankly I am less inclined to try again now.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 14:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Okay, whatever. I spent so long trying to fix those issues on more than one occasion (managed to fix some), explained again above, and frankly I am less inclined to try again now.

I don't blame you, Logan.  You did your best.  You can only do so much.  

Logan interceded for me.  Because of  Logan, I can vote on polls again. Before Logan...no polls for this girl.Wink

Thank you so much, Logan!  You're a good guy! 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 15:25
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Logan interceded for me.  Because of  Logan, I can vote on polls again. Before Logan...no polls for this girl.Wink
Damn, I guess your on the naughty list and Santa isn't bringing you any presents. Wink 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 16:18
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Damn, I guess your on the naughty list and Santa isn't bringing you any presents. Wink 

I'm on PA's naughty list.  However, Santa came early...prematurely, my hubby gave me an early Christmas present that I have been desiring for 12 years.  I'm so excited/happy. Smile 

I don't care if I'm on PA's naughty list.  I like poking fun at the mods because the reason I was punished was for misinformation.  I claimed that "natural immunity" was superior to RNA gene therapy. I've been a biologist for 25 years and an RN for 20. My studies and experience biased my opinion.   Two years later,  history and facts prove me correct...and the Mods wrong.  Yet, punishment lingers...As Kurt Vonnegut said, " And so it goes..."LOL

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 07 2023 at 16:51
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 16:45
^I'm on PA'S naughty list also. Many of my posts have been deleted, when I did nothing wrong.

Enjoy your present.
Tales from the sky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tales from the sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 20:39
Hello friends our group is waiting to be on the site it is only missing a yes on the Suggest New Bands and Artists forum in the name of: Tales from the sky and we can have our chance to make ourselves known on your site you You can listen to our album Tales from the sky - In the world of Krimus available on Youtube, Spotify, Deezer etc and on bandcamp. Enjoy listening and thank you in advance to whoever will help us to be on the site! https://talesfromthesky.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-world-of-krimus
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 00:15

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ similar to what I ended up using at AP. I word it differently though these days and try to avoid conflating the highest ratings with concepts like “classic” and “masterpiece”.

At AP we now have tiers - G through A (Awesome) and then the extra S tier (Stellar). I’d say that for these lists usually only A and S are appropriate, but the occasional B release could also fit, for example if it is a really interesting debut album by a young band.

Ultimately I’d say that anything is ALLOWED 😊

I would have included Nospun- "Opus" in my top 20 if it had been included in Progachives.  Nospun plans to release the CD "Opus" any day now...with vinyl to follow.  The download of Opus has been available for half a year. 

I'd suggest Nospun to be included in PA, but alas the moderators won't let me suggest new bands.Wink 

I thought I had, but maybe I had not explained this particular issue before. Many of your privileges were removed years ago (at a time when I was taking a break from the site, incidentally). I was able to restore some of those (you might remember that I was having technical issues, spent a long time on it) and I tried to restore you being able to post topics in more forums, but it was not sticking. I will try again, but it's not that we are not allowing you, it's now a technical issue (you might try PMing M&x). If worst comes to worst, I can post the suggestion topic in lieu of you (of course making it clear that you prepared it) but I would hope that it includes a bio, links to hear music etc.   

On another note, I have never liked the descriptions for the stars at this site, which are 5 stars Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music, 4 stars an Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection, 3 stars being Good, but non-essential, 2 stars being Collectors/fans only and one star being Poor. Only for completionists (or completists as I would term it). I understand that it's to highlight favouring Prog music in part, but not only would I feel uncomfortable rating an album lower because I don't feel it's that Prog despite being excellent at what it does, but also different people have variances in perspectives when it comes to the boundaries of Prog and progressive music (and what can go under the rock umbrella). For rock, I kind of think of it as genre-bending non-canonical rock and rock without limits.

Partially I don't care for it because I would just prefer the phrasing to indicate more subjectivity. It depends on the collector, it depends on the collection, what is essential to one and a masterpiece to another might not be to another etc.

For me, it would be something like:
5 stars: Yowza!!!
4 stars: Hurray!
3 stars: Good stuff.
2 stars: Meh.
1 star: Yuck!

By the way, any albums that people would recommend to me (especially if knowing a little of my tastes, and happy for it to be of any of the categories at PA). I am craving a bit of post-metal today, or anything edgy, some loungey extreme metal might be nice.    I will be looking at peoples lists and trying this and that.

Although no one seems to remember but me it was actually my suggestion for the ratings that were adopted at the time (probably around 2005). Before then it was just blank. What you are suggesting is not really that different. I think at the time we were trying to give pause to those that wanted to give 5 stars to everything. 4 star ratings are always a strong recommendation for me and 5 stars should be a rarity not the norm. IMO
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 10:08
^ It made sense to do something like that, Richard. The thing is, of course, while lost of people complain that people are too generous with 5 and 4 stars, alot of people only like to rate that which they really like. And I would be way, way more likely to review and album that is five stars for me (essential to my collection/ listening) than one that is just good for me.

--------------------------------------

^^^ Cindy was taken off the naughty list quite some time ago. Let's not get into it here, or again, but that COVID talk was considered potentially harmful. I just got over COVID and we should still be cautious. One of the mods here was a medical Doctor well versed in this and another an RN. As for me, I'm more of a general layabout which makes me an expert on all things (j/k). As for Will's issue with having posts deleted, I don't know about that, but sometimes when things got heated, then many posts would be hidden regardless of whether one was in the wrong or not. That said, of course interpretations of intent can happen. Like some recent posts of mine that got complaints, I thought I did nothing wrong, was intended as friendly humour/ banter, but it was taken in a way that I did not intend. It happens. I was told by on of the most articulate writers at the forum that he could barely understand a word I say...

Cindy's was a technical issue to reinstate privileges, which is why I could not update the setting (I was not the one to take action before as I was on hiatus). It seems to have taken now, maybe due to a forum update. So please try it out.

-------------------------

I got so much listening to do; it's like this every year.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 12:23

^ It made sense to do something like that, Richard. The thing is, of course, while lost of people complain that people are too generous with 5 and 4 stars, alot of people only like to rate that which they really like. And I would be way, way more likely to review and album that is five stars for me (essential to my collection/ listening) than one that is just good for me.

--------------------------------------

^^^ Cindy was taken off the naughty list quite some time ago. Let's not get into it here, or again, but that COVID talk was considered potentially harmful. I just got over COVID and we should still be cautious. One of the mods here was a medical Doctor well versed in this and another an RN. As for me, I'm more of a general layabout which makes me an expert on all things (j/k). As for Will's issue with having posts deleted, I don't know about that, but sometimes when things got heated, then many posts would be hidden regardless of whether one was in the wrong or not. That said, of course interpretations of intent can happen. Like some recent posts of mine that got complaints, I thought I did nothing wrong, was intended as friendly humour/ banter, but it was taken in a way that I did not intend. It happens. I was told by on of the most articulate writers at the forum that he could barely understand a word I say...

Cindy's was a technical issue to reinstate privileges, which is why I could not update the setting (I was not the one to take action before as I was on hiatus). It seems to have taken now, maybe due to a forum update. So please try it out.

-------------------------

I got so much listening to do; it's like this every year.

Thank you Logan. It works.  I can actually start a thread. Wink 

I'm not a doctor. But, I worked as a biologist in an epidemology lab for seven years.  I didn't know that PA sported  doctor and RN moderators.  That said, this isn't the place/time/thread to belabor such issues.  Logan solved my issue.

Back to the MUSICWink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 08 2023 at 16:20
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 12:51
"That said, this isn't the place/time/thread to belabor such issues. " - yet still here you are doing just that.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 07:35
Any new participants? Make yourself heard (and counted!). Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Hereby my updated and completed list. This one will only be modified if/when ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT will be added to PA before the end of proceedings for the AotY (they would end up somewhere halfway my list and thus kick out the current #20...)...

And that will be on my list too. I just added it to Prog Archives: All Hands_Make Light Note: Added without the "_" because it was not taking.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 06:30
^ Linked and available for voting Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 07:21

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Hereby my updated and completed list. This one will only be modified if/when ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT will be added to PA before the end of proceedings for the AotY (they would end up somewhere halfway my list and thus kick out the current #20...)...

And that will be on my list too. I just added it to Prog Archives: All Hands_Make Light Note: Added without the "_" because it was not taking.

It's making my list as well. In the 2.5 weeks since my initial list, I have a few other additions to make. Jack O the Clock's new album will be in my top 5.

I have suggested a couple of bands for PA that have albums that would make my list.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 10:08
So many awesome albums still to discover ... today I was really impressed by the Rubber Tea album. A really good mix of weirdness, depth and fun.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 15:25
Fun to read what everyone's been excited about this year, and to participate.  Nice to "see" so many of you from our Interactive Polls, too.  Thanks to everyone at PA for letting the regular folk chime in, and for all of the reviewers for their work all year long.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 18:25
Here is my list, but it's missing some of my favourites (the site, me, or both missed them).

I did not see:

Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter (aka Lingua Ignota) - SAVED!
Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World
World's End Girlfriend - Resistance & the Blessing
Witch - Zango
Beach House - Become (an EP).

I might have to add those to your site, not sure if EPs are applicable, but those would all rank high for me. Going though the list, i noticed several albums that were not listed in PA, and I added two of those:

Here is my 40 I got, definitely very subject to change and some need re-listenings:

1. Swans - The Beggar {ap:63656}
2. [Non-PA] Lingua Ignota - THE END : LIVE AT ISLINGTON ASSEMBLY HALL {ap:66662}
3. [Non-PA] PJ Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying {ap:64883}
4. [Non-PA] Depeche Mode - Memento Mori {ap:54558}
5. PoiL - Poil Ueda {ap:55644}
6. Squid - O Monolith {ap:55683}
7. Kosmischer Läufer - Volume 5 {ap:55138}
8. [Non-PA] Sufjan Stevens - Javelin {ap:66095}
9. Trees Speak - Mind Maze {ap:55034}
10. ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - "Darling the Dawn" {ap:66339}
11. Susanne Sundfør - blómi {ap:54691}
12. [Non-PA] Vanishing Twin - Afternoon X {ap:66547}
13. [Non-PA] Die Wilde Jagd - Ophio {ap:67353}
14. Oiapok - OisoL​ü​n {ap:54573}
15. Univers Zéro - Lueur {ap:66471}
16. Tim Hecker - No Highs {ap:55665}
17. Goat - Medicine {ap:66299}
18. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune {ap:65795}
19. The Holy Family - Go Zero {ap:65140}
20. Teeth Of The Sea - Hive {ap:65940}
21. Bob Drake - The Room in the Tower {ap:67570}
22. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse {ap:63750}
23. Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung (DAAU) - Musik Für Animierten Tonspurfilm {ap:66940}
24. Electric Orange - gap {ap:65210}
25. Explosions in the Sky - End {ap:65873}
26. [Non-PA] Held By Trees - Solace ~ Live At Real World {ap:62892}
27. Agusa - Prima Materia {ap:64672}
28. [Non-PA] Cosmic Ground - Entropy {ap:65646}
29. [Non-PA] Matt Berry - Simplicity {ap:67454}
30. Chromb! - Cinq {ap:65683}
31. SWRM - Salamander {ap:64574}
32. Thee Oh Sees - Intercepted Message {ap:65750}
33. Jack O' The Clock - The Warm, Dark Circus {ap:66311}
34. [Non-PA] Monika Roscher Bigband - Witchy Activities And The Maple Death {ap:64093}
35. Homunculus Res - Ecco l'impero Dei Doppi Sensi {ap:64076}
36. Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria {ap:54888}
37. Zopp - Dominion {ap:54131}
38. La Theorie Des Cordes - 4u-9525 {ap:63207}
39. Uboa - Empathy Shield {ap:67524}
40. Kilter - The Suspended Woman {ap:67558}

And I noteced a couple of album missing from PA so it's useful to go through those. I added Cosmic Ground - Entropy {ap:65646} and Held By Trees - Solace ~ Live At Real World to the bands' discography here.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 00:52
Interesting! Feel free to simply add missing albums to AP - if they are also on PA, after adding the album you can use the add link button to link them to their page at PA, making them available as PA albums on the poll.

(funny how AP is PA reversed LOL)

BTW: The points calculation is currently not optimal, I'll make some adjustments today to fix that. So for your list for example the Poil Ueda release will currently only yield 16 points for the PA list, because there are three Non-PA releases above it. But the points should (and will) be calculated without these "gaps" for each list individually.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 23 2023 at 03:16
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 10:38
This is hardly my final PA and non-PA but all AP list or placement.

1. Swans - The Beggar {ap:63656}
2. [Non-PA] Lingua Ignota - THE END : LIVE AT ISLINGTON ASSEMBLY HALL {ap:66662}
3. [Non-PA] PJ Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying {ap:64883}
4. [Non-PA] Depeche Mode - Memento Mori {ap:54558}
5. PoiL - Poil Ueda {ap:55644}
6. [Non-PA] Sufjan Stevens - Javelin {ap:66095}
7. Squid - O Monolith {ap:55683}
8. [Non-PA] Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter - SAVED! {ap:67836}
9. Kosmischer Läufer - Volume 5 {ap:55138}
10. Trees Speak - Mind Maze {ap:55034}
11. ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - "Darling the Dawn" {ap:66339}
12. Susanne Sundfør - blómi {ap:54691}
13. [Non-PA] Vanishing Twin - Afternoon X {ap:66547}
14. [Non-PA] Die Wilde Jagd - Ophio {ap:67353}
15. Oiapok - OisoL​ü​n {ap:54573}
16. [Non-PA] Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World {ap:63054}
17. Univers Zéro - Lueur {ap:66471}
18. Tim Hecker - No Highs {ap:55665}
19. Goat - Medicine {ap:66299}
20. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune {ap:65795}
21. The Holy Family - Go Zero {ap:65140}
22. Teeth Of The Sea - Hive {ap:65940}
23. Bob Drake - The Room in the Tower {ap:67570}
24. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse {ap:63750}
25. Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung (DAAU) - Musik Für Animierten Tonspurfilm {ap:66940}
26. Electric Orange - gap {ap:65210}
27. Explosions in the Sky - End {ap:65873}
28. [Non-PA] World's End Girlfriend - Resistance & The Blessing {ap:66252}
29. [Non-PA] Held By Trees - Solace ~ Live At Real World {ap:62892}
30. Agusa - Prima Materia {ap:64672}
31. [Non-PA] Cosmic Ground - Entropy {ap:65646}
32. [Non-PA] Matt Berry - Simplicity {ap:67454}
33. Chromb! - Cinq {ap:65683}
34. SWRM - Salamander {ap:64574}
35. Thee Oh Sees - Intercepted Message {ap:65750}
36. Jack O' The Clock - The Warm, Dark Circus {ap:66311}
37. [Non-PA] Monika Roscher Bigband - Witchy Activities And The Maple Death {ap:64093}
38. Homunculus Res - Ecco l'impero Dei Doppi Sensi {ap:64076}
39. Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria {ap:54888}
40. Zopp - Dominion {ap:54131}
41. La Theorie Des Cordes - 4u-9525 {ap:63207}
42. Uboa - Empathy Shield {ap:67524}
43. Kilter - The Suspended Woman {ap:67558}

Honorable note to the Beach House EP Become. Love Beach House, and was happy to add that to AP with various of the releases, more to come (surprised that was not on anyone's radar enough to add it before).

Note: It may be difficult to seperate, but It would be beneficial if one had the option just to list in PA releases as that is not that onerous on people to go through the listings there for those applicable to the Prog AotY exercise. That said and as said I found going though it very useful because I saw releases that for acts in PA that were not added to the PA charts. As said, I added two of those albums to PA. PA is all too have to manually add everything, by the way.

Edited by Logan - December 23 2023 at 10:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 14:51
^ Yes, there will be a "PA only" mode again for those who prefer that, along with some other improvements in usability. I'll also split the non-pa chart into prog and non-prog. I noticed some non-prog releases in your list, and I really like that - most of us listen to non-prog music as well, and even those who care mostly about prog are perhaps interested in what non-prog releases their fellow prog afficionados find most enjoyable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>