Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWell, I guess we can write off Porcupine Tree.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:58
Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

Originally posted by swilson swilson wrote:

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.

Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.

S

Hi steve

I just have to say

2. The guy who called you a "loudmouthed arrogant asshole" is probably

Compensating for something.Wink

That guy who called him a "loudmouthed arrogant asshole" (although that guy never said that exactly) probably just had a sh*tty day at work. Embarrassed
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:03

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.S

Again, if this is really you, SWEET! Thanks for the great music. I loved Deadwing.

Perhaps you might add a short review for "Thick As A Brick"?    (Don't yell at me for asking guys! Nothing ventured, nothing gained ya know.)
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:23

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.

Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.

S

Hi Steven, nice to see you here.

Forget about any remaks being made about personality from people on the internet. I am sure that people who have any credibility on that subject do not post on internet message boards. Don't let it bother you.

There could be a reason that you may be aware of though. I understand that you have made numerous interviews when the last album came out, and that you had to repeat things over and over and wouldn't remember what could offend the fans. I have read the one inty we have on our site/forums(see the Interviews section), and there people were quite disappointed with your views on progressive rock not as a genre of music but as a progressing force in rock music, although I can't see what can cause offense here. One thing I know for sure is that many PT fans are also fans of Flower Kings and Dream Theater - bands you did not cherish in the interview - which could be the reason of a little misunderstanding of some sort.

Welcome to the site and may you be forever inspired! Clap

-- Ivan
sig
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:31
That's not fair, Swilson shouldn't be able to review his own albums.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by Deadwing12 Deadwing12 wrote:

I will not write them off until I hear their next album. Simply because a band switches to a main label does not mean that their music will suffer (although this does prove true in some cases). Just look at Opeth; they switched to Roadrunner, and Ghost Reveries is considered by many to be the band's finest moment!

I, for one, am happy to hear of the change, and hope that Porcupine Tree's music will reach the broader audience it deserves, without losing the sound that makes PT who they are. If I were to venture a guess, I would expect the next album to be very similiar to Deadwing, a la the Stupid Dream - Lightbulb Sun duo.

Let's hope this starts a strong, new chapter in the life of Porcupine Tree rather than mark the end of a great era. I, however, will remian optomistic until proven otherwise.

P.S. NY, October 6th! Whose gonna be there?

Nicely said Clap!
Zweck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:24

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.S

I assume hoping for you to stop by in Norway in the near future would be getting my hopes up, no?

Edited by Zweck - August 09 2006 at 13:25
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:37
STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:39
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a fanboy in ye, Mr. Riviere?Wink
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:40
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a fanboy in ye, Mr. Riviere?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:42

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a fanboy in ye, Mr. Riviere?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful with your emotions, you wouldn't want to scare away Mr. Wilson, now would you?Wink

Personally, I'd actually like to ask him a question about the guitar effects on the album The Sky Moves Sideways, but it's not the end of the world if I don't know.Wink
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:54

It's great to have artists posting. It's rare to get that opportunity to connect. Guy Manning from Parallel or 90 Degrees, solo and the Tangent has posted before. Hopefully they have thick enough skin to take some of the negative responses and not get scared away. Tact is a good tool.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:57
Originally posted by Dan Bobrowski Dan Bobrowski wrote:

It's great to have artists posting. It's rare to get that opportunity to connect. Guy Manning from Parallel or 90 Degrees, solo and the Tangent has posted before. Hopefully they have thick enough skin to take some of the negative responses and not get scared away. Tact is a good tool.

HEY! I'm an artist.

N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 14:11
Good to see you posting here Steven, all I can really say is keep up the good work. Thumbs Up
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 14:16
Ahh, Mr. Wilson, what a pleasant suprise, maybe I will stick around this site for a while.

Are you still doing a project with Akerfeldt and Portnoy, and if so, what is the kind of sound you guys are trying to achieve?

Best of luck from OpethG. Hope to see you on tour soon.
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Schizoid Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 15:37
Hello Steven!

Thanks for all the great music. Personal fave is "The Sound of Muzak".

Stay well.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
alias10mr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 15:50
]Hi MichelAlas, not making it to Canada this time around, but next spring for sure.  Love the city - we played there at least 4 times between 2002-05 - and referring to our website I can tell you that the venues were Club Soda, La Tulipe, Medley, and Le Cabaret.  Guess you missed us at all those huh?S[/QUOTE]

Hi Steven,
                 you'll have to forgive me but I was testing to see if your presence on this site was the real deal... No I wasn't at the concerts BUT it is true that PT was at those venues notably Club Soda in November 2005 so this is the real deal! Good luck to you and hopefully you'll participate in these forums once in a while.
                                                                  Michel

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 16:28
Although it's good for the forums to have the actual musicians we know and love posting here, we must remember to keep to the topic. A welcome is always nice though. Welcome Mr. Wilson!

So, going back on-topic, my view on the subject. SW said earlier that PT won't change their sound because of the move to Roadrunner, I guess we have to trust him. I'm sure it will be good. It will also be interesting to see what Opeth comes up with next after moving.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 16:52
Damn....The man himself posted in this thread....AMAZING!!!!!

Welcome to Prog Archives Steven!!!!!!

How about some info on the proposed Wilson/Akerfeldt/Portnoy project??

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:30
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I doubt that will really effect their output. They seemed to be going to a more metal/mainstream direction by themselves.

metal? yes, in certain parts of songs the riffs are heavier than on pre-Absentia albums. Mainstream? I don't really see that. Even Lazarus is far from mainstream (I verified that statement by playing the track to mainstream listeners). It has a very conventional form (verse/chorus/bridge), true. But the song doesn't call for complex structure, and adding complexity for the sake of being prog would destroy the beauty.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - August 09 2006 at 17:32
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

How about some info on the proposed Wilson/Akerfeldt/Portnoy project??

Well myself and Mikael have been talking about doing it since the say we first met back in 2000.  The problem has always been time.  Since that time both bands have become more successful and the pressure to stay on the road and keep producing records has been high (not to mention I already have way too many extra-curricular activities already). I'm sure we'll get to it some day, but there will be at least one more PT studio record, and one more Opeth studio record before we do.  In the meantime there's actually a demo of one of the songs written for the project on my myspace site if you would like to get a flavor of how it might sound.

www.myspace.com/therealstevenwilson

S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>