Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins Is Better than Peter Gabriel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:22
Both are great, just different.  As far as pop goes, I didn't really dig the mid 1980's Genesis stuff but many prog bands went pop for a while just to stay alive.  The 80's were a confusing time for us all. :)
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 20:56
I don't like any era of Genesis very much.  So I'm not in this wave of  recent "Gabriel hating". My dislike of the band has been existent as long as I can remember.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:22
Originally posted by Rush77 Rush77 wrote:

Im not hating on the Peter era tht wz AMAZIN songs and albums its just the Phil era mainly A Trick of the Tail Duke and the Mama album i lean more towards but i do love both but Phil wins by the thickness of 2 hairs 

Gee, are you about done, Rush77, on capping on this poor dude? We get it already. He's just wanting to know if people prefer Collins over Gabriel, that's all. Get over it. He did step into a mindfield of criticism though. As to the initial question, both singers represent their respective eras, and that's about the size of it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:37
The question will always have to be: at what? Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 11:10
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well, post W&W is Pop for me (and of the boring kind because there's great POP)...But again, it's my opinion.

Iván
I just don't get the whole "pop" thing with Genesis......I totally do not agree on the pop thinking, it makes no sense.....Please explain to me how it makes sense to call any Genesis material "pop".
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 23:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well, post W&W is Pop for me (and of the boring kind because there's great POP)...But again, it's my opinion.

Iván
I just don't get the whole "pop" thing with Genesis......I totally do not agree on the pop thinking, it makes no sense.....Please explain to me how it makes sense to call any Genesis material "pop".

After Hackett left, the band went for the commercial path, each album is poppier and simpler than it's predecessor until a point when Genesis became a band of sour-sweet repetitive and boring Pop ballads.

If you believe Invisible Touch and Shapes are examples of Progressive Rock, well I've been listening the wrong genre for 34 years.

Iván

Vince View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 08:18
It's a matter of opinion really...

I like both eras, both have their qualities. Even on albums like Invisible Touch, yes it has tracks that are very much pop/commercial, but tracks like Domino and The Brazilian have more composition depth than most pop music.

The only two albums I really had a hard time getting into, are the last two studio ones. I really like Ray Wilson on the last, but I just can't listen to the entire Calling All Stations album. Just 3-4 tracks, which I really like, but that's it. But I could put it on in a couple of years and like it. You never know...
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work until it's opened"... Frank Zappa.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:10

Iván

After Hackett left, the band went for the commercial path, each album is poppier and simpler than it's predecessor until a point when Genesis became a band of sour-sweet repetitive and boring Pop ballads.

If you believe Invisible Touch and Shapes are examples of Progressive Rock, well I've been listening the wrong genre for 34 years.

Iván

If you move away from the term "pop" and drop that from your vocabulary......I think you will appreciate the later Genesis recordings more. And its not all 100% progressive rock...correct, but I fear that you are listening to genre definitions rather than listening to music.
But at the end of the day its about personal choice.....Thanks Ivan!
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:30
Gabriel, Fripp and Hammill were, are and will be Prog music!!!

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - January 14 2011 at 09:30
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 09:35
^ For sure. Even their post classic-era stuff was cool. Cool
three dot, a trinity, a way to map the universe,
three dot
four dot, is what will make a square, a bed to build on, it's all there,
four dot
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 10:56
If, even on a prog forum Dead, it would make elitist to prefer the Gabriel era, so be it.  Gabriel Genesis is a step higher in depth and emotion. Only one thing improved, and briefly at that, after Gabriel left, that being Collins's drumming, which peaked on Brand X/ Trick of the tail.  This is not to say that Collins-Genesis is all bad though that is NOT where I'd be heading for some good pop but even the best of Trick/Wind can't hold a candle to umm....Cryme, Foxtrot, SEBTP, Lamb, masterpiece after masterpiece right there!
AllP0werToSlaves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 11:09
I've always enjoyed later Genesis (self titled, Invisible Touch, etc). Phil's voice is great; at least they didn't try and re-create the Gabriel magic over and over and kept it fresh by moving forward (or backwards depending on your perspective/opinion Wink)
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:41

If you move away from the term "pop" and drop that from your vocabulary......I think you will appreciate the later Genesis recordings more. And its not all 100% progressive rock...correct, but I fear that you are listening to genre definitions rather than listening to music.
But at the end of the day its about personal choice.....Thanks Ivan!

No, I won't drop POP from my vocabulary, because it's a valid style of music, I will never appreciate post W&W recordings because IMO they are bland, boring, repetitive, predictable and miles away from they days of glory when they were the best Prog band

Please don't come me with the nonsense that I listen genres not music as a fact I love such bands like Duran Duran, Fleetwood Mac (Not the artsy Peter Green but the full POP Buckinngham and Nicks era) Cranberries, America, etc, and I value them over many Prog bands,m, because they were doing amazing POP.

But post W&W is POP, they captured the POP audience, they went to POP festivals, they supported POP artists and they won Grammy's to the best POP band as well as American Musical Awards and even MTV awards to best POP video.

So please don't tell me they were not POP, if you believe they were great POP, it's OK with me, but don't change a genre they embraced voluntarily.

Iván 

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 13:45
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

What's with all the Gabriel era Genesis haters around here lately?

And, um, no.

Lyricaly quality, expressive breadth, and sheer otherworldliness...Gabriel hands down.

And of course during the classic era we have both doing what they each do best.

Watch youtube of Gabriel and Collins doing Suppers Ready. It's not even close except for the money put into the set. Even Dance on a Volcano, which is my favorite Phil song, is just lyrically pallid compared to Peter's best work.

word
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 14:01

Fully agree with the OP. Gabriel was the better drummer though, but he started doing the vocals because his costumes got in the way of the drumkit.

Edited by Bonnek - January 14 2011 at 14:05
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 16:09
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Fully agree with the OP. Gabriel was the better drummer though, but he started doing the vocals because his costumes got in the way of the drumkit.

You gotta' be kidding.
DaniMoon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 00:16
I think Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins were equally talented but they definitely had different styles. Peter's Genesis was classic prog rock at its best. After Peter left Genesis he continued to create music with an eccentric flair, while the remaining members became an 80's pop/soft rock sensation. As a lover of prog, I prefer the music of the Gabriel/Genesis era. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 02:14
Originally posted by esky esky wrote:

Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

You gotta' be kidding.

I don't agree with that, either.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 03:48
For me, it seems too difficult to make such a comparison. Collins is first and foremost a musician, then a singer second. Gabriel is first and foremost a writer, and a singer second. The only thing you can really compare is their singing style, and that's a matter of personal taste, nothing else.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 04:55
As singers, i love both, about music, i kept on loving Genesis until Duke, but further releases have some great times yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>