Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 407408409410411 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 14:52
Caravan – Blind Dog at Saint Dunstans
Renaissance – Novella
Magma - Kohntarkosz
Camel – Pressure Points Live
Camel – A Live Record
Cousin Silas – Foreshore
Cousin Silas - Ballard Landscapes 5
Cosmic Ground – s/t
Cosmic Ground - 2
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 19:37
Comus - First Utterance
Ramones - s/t
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 22:40
Monday...

Phil Manzanera - The Sound Of Blue
Eric Burdon & The Animals  - Winds Of Change
Sabicas with Joe Beck - Rock Encounter
Colour Haze - To The Highest Gods We Know
Naxatras - self titled
Papir Meets Electric Moon - Papermoon Sessions

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 05:01
Yesterday:
Vostok Programme - s/t
Safiyya - s/t
Herbcraft - Wot Oz
Sanhedrin - Ever After
Not A Good Sign - s/t (Much better than the new one Audun Thumbs Up I didn't noticed before it's the same singer from Coscienza Di Zeno, he sounds so different when he sings in English Ermm)
Yes - Tormato (Good album Michael, it has some really nice tracks, others are listenable... and then there's "Don't Kill The Whale" DeadLOL Not that good on the keyboard department, unfortunately Wakeman decided to use the Byrotron and the Polymoog and these keyboards don't sound really good Confused I love Squire's bass work throughout the album though Thumbs Up)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:15
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Yesterday:
Vostok Programme - s/t
Safiyya - s/t
Herbcraft - Wot Oz
Sanhedrin - Ever After
Not A Good Sign - s/t (Much better than the new one Audun Thumbs Up I didn't noticed before it's the same singer from Coscienza Di Zeno, he sounds so different when he sings in English Ermm)
Yes - Tormato (Good album Michael, it has some really nice tracks, others are listenable... and then there's "Don't Kill The Whale" DeadLOL Not that good on the keyboard department, unfortunately Wakeman decided to use the Byrotron and the Polymoog and these keyboards don't sound really good Confused I love Squire's bass work throughout the album though Thumbs Up)

WHaaaaatttt?! I will NOT hear a bad word about `Don't Kill The Whale', especially not w**kman's `whale' solo in the middle! Yeah, sadly Wakeman really pours on the schmaltz on many parts of that album, but the only really awful bit for me personally is `Circus of Heaven', seriously turns my stomach. So whimsical and `wonderous', and don't get me started on the bit where Anderson got his son to `cameo' near the end - urgh!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

WHaaaaatttt?! I will NOT hear a bad word about `Don't Kill The Whale', especially not w**kman's `whale' solo in the middle! Yeah, sadly Wakeman really pours on the schmaltz on many parts of that album, but the only really awful bit for me personally is `Circus of Heaven', seriously turns my stomach. So whimsical and `wonderous', and don't get me started on the bit where Anderson got his son to `cameo' near the end - urgh!
Yeah, "Circus Of Heaven" wasn't much pleasant to hear either, but "Don't Kill The Whale was the initial shock Dead

Today:
Calibro 35 - s/t
Sparks - Indiscreet
Petrus Castrus - Mestre
Rui Veloso - Fora de Moda
(Music in Portuguese during the afternoon, something I do when I'm incredibly bored Ermm)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:32

Yeah, "Circus Of Heaven" wasn't much pleasant to hear either, but "Don't Kill The Whale was the initial shock Dead

What about it doesn't `do it' for you, mate? I think it's a catchy tune, had plenty of cool soloing throughout (espeically from Skeletor), and I love the outtro as well!

`Release Release' is quite a great rocking tracks, I just hate the lyric that goes `rock is the medium of our generation'!

I forget, have you heard the `Drama' album before?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:54
^ I'll have to give it another spin, to see if it gets better. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the album, but I didn't know what to expect (I only knew Madrigal which is a great track) and it's quite a change of direction.

I really liked Squire's relentless bass on "Release Release". The middle section didn't do it for me though (I didn't mean to be rude before, thanks for correcting me)

I did, but I don't remember anything about it. I'll have to get that one but I should get "Going For The One" first.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 13:13
Oh, no, man, didn't think you were being rude at all, and I certainly wasn't correcting you about anything!

I don't think `Tormato' is flawless by any means, but for some reason it's frequently lumped in alonsgide ELP's `Love Beach' as a major turning point straight down for the golden period of prog, and I really don't think it's anywhere near as bad as `LB' (even though that is an album that does have a few redeeming aspects here and there too anyway).

Oh, so you haven't heard `Going for the One' then?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 13:50
I never heard Love Beach, unlike Yes, I don't think I'm fan enough to give it a try Tongue

I don't have a copy of it but I recently gave it an attentive listen and I really liked it.

Another late 70's turning point I listened today:
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door (Keyboard driven LZ, but I don't find it as bad as most reviewers think. I guess I'm a big fan of JPJ Wink)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 14:46
Focus – Hamburger Concerto
Focus – Moving Waves
The Gentle Storm – The Diary (Renaissance fans would really dig this)
Pallas – XXV
Glass Hammer – Double Live
P.F.M – Per un Amico
Scapa Flow – Uuteen Aikaan
Finch – Glory of the Inner Force
Alpha Wave Movement – Architexture of Silence
Jethro Tull – The Broadsword and the Beast (Hmm, Sam, do you know this one from the 80’s? )
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 15:44

I never heard Love Beach, unlike Yes, I don't think I'm fan enough to give it a try Tongue

I don't have a copy of it but I recently gave it an attentive listen and I really liked it.

Another late 70's turning point I listened today:
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door (Keyboard driven LZ, but I don't find it as bad as most reviewers think. I guess I'm a big fan of JPJ Wink)

The album cover is enough to make most people run away!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:19
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.56px;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 14.56px;">

</span><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">Progres 2 - Dialog s vesmirem</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
What did you think of it?
Symphonic Space Jazz Rock, what's not to love about it? Big smile
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
Yeah, you got a point. Well, as I mentioned in the other thread, I think it's good, borderline very good, but I think there's a bit too many straightforward rock moments on it where not much interesting happens, and where it therefore loses my attention. But it's an interesting example of prog from behind the Iron Curtain, and what they had to do to play their rock music there. I especially find the humming, or should I say non-pronunciation of consonants, on "Planeta H. Bosche II" a creative way of getting around the censorship it was put under for containing the word "heroin". In that respect it's also interesting to hear the song performed live, on the live "Dialog s vesmírem" album, where they sing the actual lyrics (not that I understand any of it LOL). Surprised they had the nerve to do that, and were allowed to. They performed the full album live before the studio album was released (recorded?), so (and I'm only speculating here, but) those performances were perhaps the reason they had to censor it on the studio album.
<span style="line-height: 14.56px;">
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Well my friend. I've experienced quite a few flagship headphones paired with top level amps and I realize that what I have at home in living room is that of very good. When you get to a certain tier in quality there really is no such thing as 'better' only 'different.' </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> however the trick is finding that 'difference' that agrees with you the most. It's hard to do, but that's the beautiful adventure that lies with in the audio world. </span><div style="line-height: 14.56px;">
That's the thing, I don't know on which tier of quality my headphones are, so I'm reluctant to go to a store and check out others, at least expensive ones, in fear of being disappointed with what I've already got. So I'm gonna stick with the ones I have, for now. At least I'm happy with what I've got now, though I suspect they're not of the highest quality. They're much better than my previous headphones, but those were a few years old, so I suspect the difference in quality between the two are just the technological advances done in that field over those few years, i.e. I think my newest ones aren't that much better than my old ones, but they sound better. And in the end, how they sound, and that I'm happy with it, is what's important, right?

Anyway, since my last update:

Wednesday:

Syd Arthur - On an On
Syd Arthur - Sound Mirror
Høst - På sterke vinger
The Esoteric Circle - s/t
Undertakers Circus - Ragnarock (Saw them live for the first time that night. Fun concert, but they played a bit too many Curtis Mayfield covers, and not enough stuff from "Ragnarock", for my taste. I didn't know when I bought the tickets that Jono EL Grande was playing a release concert for his new album the same night. If I'd known I'd probably go see him instead, but UC are an important band in Norwegian rock history, so I'm glad I got to see them live after all. Another one to tick off that long list of bands I want to see live someday. Smile)

Thursday:

Möbius Project - Ra Me Nivar
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Il Balletto di Bronzo - Ys
Rocky's Filj - Storie di uomini e non

Friday:

Weidorje - s/t
Jaga Jazzist - Starfire
Møster! - When You Cut Into the Present
Elephant9 with Reine Fiske - Silver Mountain (The top 3 albums of the year so far for me: JJ, M! and E9. Good company for Weidorje. Smile)

Saturday:

Dungen - Dungen: 1999 - 2001
Dungen - Stadsvandringar
Dungen - Ta det Lugnt
Dungen - Tio bitar
Dungen - 4
Dungen - Skit i alt
Dungen - Allas sak

Sunday:

Huntsville - Pond
Ozric Tentacles - Technicians of the Sacred
Vespero - Droga
Vespero - Fitful Slumber Until 5 A.M
Naxatras - s/t
Nemrud - Journey of the Shamal
Nemrud - Ritual

Monday:

Anathema - Judgement
Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
Vanden Plas - Spirit of Live
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
Vangough - Between the Madness

Yesterday:

Bushman's Revenge - Thou Shalt Boogie!
Yes - Relayer
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Gentle Knife - s/t

Today:

Susanne Sundfør - Susanne Sundfør
Susanne Sundfør - Take One
Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel
Susanne Sundfør - The Silicone Veil
Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs

Hey my friend. You know it sounds like you may be second guessing yourself quite a bit in the audio end of things. I really urge you to try out some of the world class flagship headphones out there just to hear and feel what's out there with no buying attachment necessary!
Don't fear what your music should sound like to your tastes compared to what you own. Fearing disappointment will deprave you of experiencing superior audio quality right down to the final detail. I can tell ya with all my heart that bringing a few of your albums that are dear to you and running them through a very high-end headphone rig will have you in all smiles and possibly tears! The results are shocking but people like yourself who absolutely adore music should not allow an experience like that to go by.
The best part is it's all free!    . Also, if you end up loving the higher end headphone models out there that are made by the likes of AUDEZE, Sennheiser, STAX or HIFIMAN it's a very reasonable goal to shoot for.
It's expensive I know, but that's just the way it goes to experience high end audio. You gotta plan and budget to give your ears the best they deserve.
Anyhow, go give yourself a day or an afternoon with some unbelievable gear. You deserve it and so do your ears!
Imagine your rediscoveries. . I also very much understand or being content with your current set up or headphones, and you are pretty focused in buying or budgeting a lot of your extra cash on music, but don't let that stop you from exploring planet hi-fi audio. Remember again, it's free to try! I hope you do it!
Any major retailer near you that carry 1000$+ headphones will let you audition their demo models as long as you like. I just recommend bringing in your own music. ;)

Edited by progbethyname - October 20 2015 at 16:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:37
Busy busy lately but I got some downtime today and have been enjoying a new box set. :)

Fates warning-- a pleasant shade of gray (3cd 1 DVD edition) -- a must for any FW fan. This is by far their best special edition release. The demos and remixes are great. The audio quality is stellar and the concerts live Europe on the DVD is absolutely beautiful. This album really caps off just how amazing 2015 has been in Prog for me.

Locanda Delle Fate--- Forsi le lucciole non Si amano più ( my goodness. This album sounds as dreamy and beautiful as how the album cover looks! I love this album. RPI gold!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

The album cover is enough to make most people run away!!
LOL True, although I learned from Krautrock and RPI that I shouldn't judge an album by the cover Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 17:07
Sam, you should play this clip from it, called (yes, really) `Taste of my Love'

The sexual come-on's from Greg are hilarious and painful, but the track is really not that bad, just listen to how great the drumming is! The drums overall on the album are top-notch.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 17:38
^ The lyrics are indeed painful LOL It's not so bad, compared to Tarkus' bad tracks Ermm

By the way, I didn't see your previous post before. I don't know that Tull album, I probably only heard four from them. How's that one? And the new GH live album?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 17:45
The new Glass Hammer live disc is AMAZING! If you like the band, the performance is first rate, and all the musicians sound perfect on it, mixed nice, fat and upfront! Even the older pieces that I know back to front sound completely rejuvenated, as all the soloing sounds totally different and holds plenty of surprises. The DVD is sparse, but watching the group interacting with each-other, it's a real pleasure if you're a fan. The drummer especially is all over the place, so busy and energetic!

I picked up that Tull album for a few dollars at that Fair on the weekend, I had no idea the album was from the early 80's. It has a very modern, synth-heavy sound and the guitars are really tough and sleek on it. It sounded quite different, but was probably a little more interesting for me personally, although I still don't engage with Anderson and his words. I guess the production around him this time sustains interest a bit more for me? If you can, have a listen on Youtube and let us know what you think.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 22:42
Tuesday...

The Fusion Syndicate - self titled
John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 1
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Alas - Mimame Bandoneon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The new Glass Hammer live disc is AMAZING! If you like the band, the performance is first rate, and all the musicians sound perfect on it, mixed nice, fat and upfront! Even the older pieces that I know back to front sound completely rejuvenated, as all the soloing sounds totally different and holds plenty of surprises. The DVD is sparse, but watching the group interacting with each-other, it's a real pleasure if you're a fan. The drummer especially is all over the place, so busy and energetic!

I picked up that Tull album for a few dollars at that Fair on the weekend, I had no idea the album was from the early 80's. It has a very modern, synth-heavy sound and the guitars are really tough and sleek on it. It sounded quite different, but was probably a little more interesting for me personally, although I still don't engage with Anderson and his words. I guess the production around him this time sustains interest a bit more for me? If you can, have a listen on Youtube and let us know what you think.
I saw the video they posted today on Facebook and I was really impressed Clap I'll have to buy some of their albums eventually.

That does sound different. I'll give it a listen then.

Today:
Steve Roach - The Delicate Beyond
Weites Luftmeer - OST
Blue Phantom - Distortions
Jupi/ter - Oaks
Darrel Treece-Birch - Celestial
Trovante - Baile no Bosque
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 407408409410411 511>