Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:32

Well, my Hungarian PA friend, you mean this band Wink :

YESTERDAYS%20Holdfénykert%20progressive%20rock%20album%20and%20reviews Symphonic Prog
(Studio Album, 2006)
3.00/5
(1 ratings)
YESTERDAYS — Holdfénykert
Review by erik neuteboom (erik neuteboom)
Special Collaborator Symphonic Prog Expert

— First review of this album —

3%20stars Yesterdays is a Hungarian band with mainly Romanian musicians, the current line-up features 10 band members including 3 women. Yesterdays is rooted in early 2000 and has already made a demo tape (entitled Come Dream With Me from 2002), a serie of CD’s and even a DVD. During the first part of this CD their sound is pleasant and folky inspired featuring lots of acoustic guitar and flute along a wonderful female voice with echoes from Annie Haslam. I am delighted about an acoustic guitar duet (twanging and solo) and the omnipresent violin-Mellotron waves. The second part of Holdenfenykert delivers a way more symphonic rock sound featuring fluent Moog runs and again beautiful Mellotron work. But we can also enjou pure folk and I was very pleased with a duet from acoustic guitar and harpsichord, that distinctive vintage keyboard. My highlight is the long and alternating song entitled Seven: it starts with a fluent rhythm, Moog flights and Mellotron waves and mellow parts with warm female vocals, then a compelling piece with sensitive guitar and lush Mellotron. The final part begins with a flute solo and howling guitar runs and finally a sumptuous eruption with a swirling Hammond solo. To me this sounds as a wonderful blend of folk and symphonic rock, very tasteful, this band will please both the prog-folk – as the symphonic prog fans. Two years ago we talked about adding this band to Prog Archives, I am sure the band members (a salut to Zsolt from here) are very glad that in the end they are part of PA! My rating: 3,5 stars.

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 15 2008 at 14:41
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 20:23
bumping this from the bottom of the previous page.

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Update from Syrinx:

NEW ALBUM RELEASE : OCTOBER 2008

Hi !

After the release of "REIFICATION", 5 years ago, we're proud to present you our new work : "QUALIA"
We'll give a lot more updates and we'll upload new extracts from this album in the following weeks.
Thanks for your support.

Listen to the beautiful new track they've put on their Myspace.

Highly anticipating this album!!!

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 22:13

Erik, its so good to have you back, seeing someone with similar tastes drool over Trion, Willowglass, Believe, Hostsonaten, etc..... What a relief, not to many people blasting this music from their car stereos!

I was stunned to see the Alma review! I bought that a while ago and surprised it wasn' t -still isn't included.

i am still hooked solid on the Simon Says , can't shake the thrill.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 07:23
^Thumbs%20Up I also love that Simon Says album, very solid all around. Hostsonaten is great as all Zuffanti's work is. Haven't listened to Winterthrough  (played Springsong a lot the last months) and Alma yet, since i've got both albums  i hope to get around to them i the near future.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 11:55

Avestin: thanks but what a pity I don't like brass and woodwind instruments.

Thomas: thanks for your pleasant words and good to share our taste, especially to read about Alma, what a wonderful music but still not added to PA. The new Simon Says album is great, I love that lush vintage keyboard sound Approve

Dirk: I asked Hans for the new Mostly Autumn album because of your recomendation to me, he will send it to me before his holiday in Spain tomorrow Cool

Here is good news from my USA PA friend John:

MIKROMIDAS — Brennende Drommer
Review by sinkadotentree (john davie)
Prog Reviewer

4%20stars 4.5 stars.This band is from Norway and they sing in their native language.The album's title means "Burning Dreams".The music itself is filled with mellotron and hammond organ, and i think i'm in love.Haha.As Eric points out in his excellent bio of the band,this is vintage 70's sounding Scandanavian music that recalls the sounds of SINKADUS,LANDBERK and ANGLAGARD.More straightforward and less complex i'll admit,but so enjoyable.Most of this album was recorded live in the studio by the way.Mellotron on every track! "Incognito City" opens with a grinding guitar melody that is joined by the drums,organ then vocals.The organ before a minute is excellent.The vocals are quite passionate and the drums prominant.It's the guitar that i like on this one the best though. "Dvergenes Palass" opens with mellotron and vocals.It sounds great when the tempo picks up.The guitar and organ shine.The drumming is very upfront as usual. "Nostradamus" is for me the highlight of this record,an almost 10 minute ride.The mellotron is so strong to open.Gale force.The organ is wonderful too.Drums and guitar join in but the mellotron and organ are breathtaking.Vocals 2 minutes in as the mellotron comes and goes throughout.A darker,heavier sound 4 1/2 minutes in as he almost yells the lyrics.It settles down 6 minutes in with some nice guitar.More majestic mellotron and then some tasteful guitar 9 minutes in. "Pilegrim" is simply a feel good,mid-paced tune with lots of mellotron.The vocals,guitar and drums are prominant throughout.Very special music this is. "Jublende Rekker" is awesome to open with the mellotron floods with drums and guitar.Vocals a minute in that remind me of SINKADUS along with the overall sound.Organ 1 1/2 minutes in.A storm of mellotron before 4 minutes.Incredible sound 5 minutes in of mellotron,organ and drums. "Middelveis" opens with organ as the sound builds.Vocal melodies a minute in with vocals to follow.Mellotron floods after 2 minutes as tempo slows down.The tempo does pick back up with organ leading the way as themes are repeated. "Berg Og Dvale" is led by the organ and drums.Check out the guitar after 3 1/2 minutes as waves of mellotron blow through. "Doende Stein" opens with mellotron before we get some sinister sounding organ a minute in.Lots of mellotron in this one.Vocals are quite powerful at times. "I Taketimen" opens with mellotron and acoustic guitar as reserved vocals join in.Drums and a fuller sound follow. The organ and guitar before 3 minutes are fantastic.Mellotron to end it.What else? Highly recommended mellotron drenched Clapmusic from the north.

Did anybody say Mellotron? .... LOL                                     

Thumbs%20Up                                                

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 13:47
Incredible that you can find almost every something very promising in the Prog World.
I really admire bands who sing in their native language, especially featuring strong guitars, drums, and a little bitWink of Melllotrons.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:03

Norbert, I have had the luck that since the early Nineties I have worked for several progrock magazines where I received many, many interesting and rare progrock CD promos from all over the world, especially from Italy, Japan and Latin-America so I could build up my progrock knowledge. A few years ago I met Hans Galje, he had just started his progrock mailorder-service named Progwalhalla and immediately there was progrock chemistry between us: we both love early Genesis and Italian Seventies Prog and we both are interested in lesser known and unknown progrock. He was very pleased that I wanted to write for him and I am still very pleased that I am allowed to borrow every interesting progrock band/album that he orders, in fact Progwalhalla is an unique progrock effort and I am glad that you and all the posters in this thread are so positive about the lesser known and unknown new progrock bands Thumbs%20Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 16 2008 at 14:04
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:06

I was totally blown away by Paradise Square from Simon Says.  I have yet to hear the new album yet, but I am glad to see that it is getting some love here. 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:11

Rushfan4, good to read that you are also delighted about Simon Says their second effort entitled Paradise Square, a few years ago I got is as a promo and I was blown away by their dynamic music, especially the break with the sitar sound, unique progrock Thumbs%20Up

SIMON SAYS – Paradise Square

Here’s another gem from the amazing Mellotron-loaden Skandinavian progrock scene, this time a Swedish band including Mattias Jarlhed (percussion), Jonas Hallberg (guitar and backing vocals), Daniel Fäldt (lead – and backing vocals, sitar) and Stefan Renström (bass, keyboards, voices). Releases: album “Ceinwed” from ’95 and “Paradise square” from ‘02. Main influence: mid-Genesis.

The second album is superior to their debut, in my opinion “Paradise square”  is one of the best releases from 2002! Most of the 7 songs are long, alternating and elaborate pieces with lots of surprising ideas: classical guitar and piano, a jazzy intermezzo, sensitive Spanish guitar or sitar and tablas. The 24-carat symphonic sound is very inspired by mid-Genesis but has also echoes from Anglagard (sumptuous Mellotron waves), Spock’s Beard (shifting moods and fiery electric guitar), Marillion (keyboards) and Manferd Mann’s Earth Band (Minimoog flights with pitchbend). The vocals are at some momens a bit theatrical but in general strong and convincing. Funny self-mockery: Simon Says has integrated some musical moments from Genesis albums (“The lamb...” and “Foxtrot”) but the way they have done this, showcases the mature compositional skills. Recommended.

SIMON SAYS – Tardigrade

- After the release of their captivating debut CD entitled Paradise Square and splendid contribution to the 2-CD Odyssey : The Greatest Tale I have become a Simons Says fan so I was very curious to this new release.

- Well, halfway my first listening session I quickly concluded that Tardigrade is very worth listening and after two listening sessions it’s even on the brink of being superior to Paradise Square! I am delighted about the lush vintage keyboard sound, what a cascade of Mellotron waves, Moog sounds and Hammond organ runs, especially in the alternating opener Suddenly The Rain (fiery guitar, heavy Hammond, flashy Moog flights, the sound of a steel-guitar and a bombastic interlude with majestic choir-Mellotron), As The River Runs (spectaculare Moog sounds and wah-wah – and steel guitar blended with Hammond and Mellotron) and my absolute highlight, the epic (more than 25 minutes) Brother New Day that contains many instrumental parts including a sensational break with pleasant synthesizer work, wah-wah guitar and choir-Mellotron like Howe and Wakeman, sparkling piano, fat Moog runs like early Keith Emerson and frequently exciting interplay between guitar and keyboards. In some tracks you can enjoy the sound of the vocoder (like Mr. Blue Sky by ELO) and I love the song Moon Mountain with a wonderful blend of classical – and electric guitar, like a duet by Hackett and Howe. I would like to end this review with the remark that the distinctive, slightly theatrical vocals will not be everybody’s cup of tea but to me it’s not a problem and many parts on this CD are instrumental.

- I am glad that Simon Says have continued to make captivating progrock, this third studio albums deserves 4 solid stars, I hope you will share my enthousiasm!

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 16 2008 at 14:12
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:13
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

BRIGHTEYE%20BRISON%20Believers%20&%20Deceivers%20progressive%20rock%20album%20and%20reviews Prog Related
(Studio Album, 2008)
4.08/5
(3 ratings)
BRIGHTEYE BRISON — Believers & Deceivers
Review by erik neuteboom (erik neuteboom)
Special Collaborator Symphonic Prog Expert

4%20stars

FIRST REVIEW OF THIS ALBUM

Strange, this band was added by Krigsman but although he named Brighteye Brison a great prog band he didn't write a review. Also strange: despite Krigsman his words about Brighteye Brison their musical direction, this band has been put into the Prog-Related category. After listening to this new album I can only say: THIS NEW BRIGHTEYE BRISON ALBUM IS PURE SEVENTIES ORIENTED PROGROCK!!

Swedish formation Brighteye Brison was founded in 2000, after the release of the demo 4:am (2001) Brighteye Brison made the CD’s Brighteye Brison (2003), Stories (2006) and this brandnew album (2008). It contains 4 compositions (between 5 and 35 minutes!) with a total running time of almost 70 minutes. Along the five band members you can also listen to two guest musicians on trumpet and ‘spoken voice’. During my first listening session Brighteye Brison impressed me: what a wonderful, in general quite melodic Seventies progrock inspired music (evoking early Spock’s Beard) with obvious references to mainly Yes but also Gentle Giant and Genesis. Their sound is alternating and dynamic with lots of strong musical ideas and a varied instrumentation, from acoustic guitar and saxophone to a wide range of vintage keyboards and even the Theremin.

1. Pointless Living (5:13) : In a swinging rhythm with powerful bass runs the band showcases her appreciation for early Yes. We can enjoy sensitive guitar, varied pianoplay, some Mellotron waves and a flashy synthesizer solo, what a great start!

2. After The Storm (7:36) : After an intro with acoustic rhythm guitar and Hammond organ, a fiery guitar solo follows, accompanied by a Hammond organ sound that evokes Seventies Focus. Then exciting solos on synthesizer and guitar and captivating interplay between Hammond and synthesizer, I love this Seventies progrock oriented atmosphere.

3. The Harvest (20:27) : This long composition starts with a sumptuous church organ sound, then we can enjoy lots of changing moods, accellarations and breaks, the music shifts from mellow with acoustic rhythm guitar and vocal harmonies to heavy with powerful saxophone and bombastic eruptions, layered with the unsurpassed sound of the Mellotron, Hammond and Moog and supported by a strong rhythm-section. The final part contains a strongly build-up guitar solo, a splendid farewell.

4. The Grand Event (34:44) : This ‘magnum opus’ is a tribute to the Classic Prog, from Yes to Gentle Giant and I can tell you that Brighteye Brison didn’t fail to keep my attention during the more than 30 minutes, from dreamy parts with vocal harmonies and soaring flute – and violin-Mellotron or a ‘churchy’ Hammond organ to compelling with howling guitar and bombastic with vintage keyboards like a fat Moog solo and heavy Hammond waves (again Focus comes to my mind). You can hear that this Swedish formation plays together for many years, to me Brighteye Brison sounds tight and the interplay is fluent, especially the rhythm-section is a very strong foundation (like Alan White- Chris Squire in the Seventies Yes years).

After more than 40 years of progrock, Brighteye Brison is a dynamic and exciting example that this often nailed music style is alive, highly recommended!

This is a really nice review Erik.  I have trumpeted Brighteye Brison's cause a few times here on PA.  I have heard After the Storm and The Harvest and they are both excellent songs.  I have mentioned it too, but I definitely agree that they belong in a full-fledge prog category; most likely, symphonic in my opinion.  I haven't heard their first two albums, but I found Stories to be an excellent listen, and also worthy of the symphonic prog label. 

It is good to see you back and please keep up the great work!!!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:21
Erik, I certainly agree that the new Beardfish album is excellent. They're one of my favourite Prog discoveries of the last 5 years. Thumbs%20Up

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:24

Thanks Rushfan4, it's good to read that you are so pleased with the new Brighteye Brison (I also only know this album), I still don't understand that this exciting and dynamic music is hardly reviewed on the PA homepage, as other interesting new progrock bands Neverness, Senogul and R-U Kaiser.

Thanks Paul, indeed Beardfish is an exciting new band, they got quite a lot of support on the homepage, a kind of 'cult-band' here on PA Wink ?

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 16 2008 at 14:27
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:32
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Thanks Paul, indeed Beardfish is an exciting new band, they got quite a lot of support on the homepage, a kind of 'cult-band' here on PA Wink ?

They most certainly are Erik. Hopefully more success is just round the corner for them. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:38

Have you heard this one:

BOOTCUT – De Fluff (***1/2)

- As a huge Hammond freak I got more and more impressed during the Beardfish gig on the first Symforce Festival, that young guy Rikard Sjöblom (who also plays guitar and sings) knows how to play the Hammond organ (I was told by other Hammond freak ‘Herman The Mellotron Man’), what a wonderful sound and how enthousiastic he performs! When a friend told me that Rikard his other musical project Bootcut was planned to play later that day I was on the first row half an hour before the show! Well, that gig was great and halfway I decided to sneak quickly a Bootcut CD on the Beardfish merchandising stand.

Bootcut has released 3 albums and this one entitled De Fluff is the second (from 2004). The band is a duo featuring Rikard Sjöblom (Hammond B3 organ, Nord Electro2 and ARP Pro Solist synthesizer) and Petter Diamant (drums and percussion) with additional musicians on woodwind – and brass instruments, guitar and contrabass. In general the 12 melodic and accessible compositions sound fluent and swinging with strong echoes from jazz (Bootcut often played in jazz clubs) but also rock and blues. Their music often brings late Sixties and early Seventies bands to my mind like The Spencer Davis Group (after Eddie Hardin had replaced Stevie Windwood who had just founded Traffic), Hardin & York (also a Hammond/drums duo), Brian Auger and Trace. And of course late Sixties fellow Swedish band Hansson & Karlson but less complex, less soloing and more keyboard variation like the synthesizer in Quintus Quest, the clavinet in Funck The Living Dead and the Fender Rhodes electric piano in the bluesy Istället För Att Jag Kom Till Skogen Kom Skogen Till Mig. Although Rikard plays less self-indulgent, we can enjoy some swirling and propulsive work like in Fresh Free Fruit (funky sound), Funck the Living Dead, Hang Em High and especially in Crazy Cookie where he freaks out, goose bumps! The interplay between Rikard and Petter is strong and often dynamic. In some songs we can welcome guest musicians on guitar, flute, trombone and saxophone, it give the music a pleasant extra dimension. A funny track is the final song Mutta, a swinging blend of organ, guitar and Turntables (by D-Cuts), that sound of playing LP’s with the hand, quite original in prog!

This is a very tasteful CD that will please the Hammond organ freaks.

Thumbs%20Up 

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 14:47
Thanks Erik Thumbs%20Up I haven't heard it but I will certainly get it; that's a deffinite.

I see Beardfish will also play on the next album from The Tangent. I wasn't blown away by their last album but now Beardfish are involved I'll have to get it whenever it may surface.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 11:56
I love Beardfish, i made a serious mistake   missing a concert they gave together with Tangent  here. Last year at Symforce the stage where they performed was too crowded, definitely going to see them next time they're here.

Listened to Winterthrough and Alma today, Winterthrough has some direct echoes from Springsong and sounds very promising. I'm not totally convinced by the Alma album as yet. Pleasant female vocals, pleasant melodies but nothing that really strikes me yet, i have to give it some more chance but i don't believe this band reaches the level of  Nexus's Perpetuum karma or Metanoia.

Nice to see Simon says is so loved here, i'll get their other albums too.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 12:21
Not on the archives, but a local band that I really like is : Reckoning Day..it's pretty much tech/extreme prog metal

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 13:41

Dirk: Alma their album contains more mellow and romantic music with warm guitarwork, hard to compare with Nexus because that is more bombastic symphonic prog, loaded with Hammond Approve Today I received the new Mostly Autumn album from Hans (now in Spain Cool ), I hope to share your positive words.

MisterProg2112: thanks for your contribution but to me Reckoning Day sounds a bit too heavy Shocked ... Wink

This evening I hope to have time to listen to The D Project with the CD
                     The Sagarmatha Dilemma (strong Pink Floyd inspired album featuring
                     Derek Sherinan on one track) and the new Mostly Autumn CD entitled
                     Glass Shadows, recommended by fellow Dutchman Dirk.

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 17 2008 at 13:43
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 00:17
The problem with me checking out this thread Eric is that it's going to cost me money.LOL I've only been here 5 minutes and i've already put Brighteye Brison,Willow Glass and Bootcut on my want list. Thanks for putting up my Mikromidas review,did i mention they use a mellotron on that album.LOL Anyway it was your review in the first place that led me to buying it. Hey i've been enjoying Galleon a lot this week,they may not be that unknown, but these Swedes are well worth a listen to those who haven't checked them out yet.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 05:12

Hahaha John, thanks for the compliments but it's always the same when fellow progheads/symphomaniacs check out or discover this thread: I am hailed because of my recommendations Clap and I am nailed because of the money it costs Unhappy .... Wink !

Anyway , I am sure you will like Bootcut, Willowglass and Brighteye Brison and indeed, the new Galleon is wonderful, I was very surprised about their progress!

Yesterday evening I have listened to the new Mostly Autumn CD (wonderful, great dynamics between folky and rock moments) and The D Project (very pleasant modern Pink Floyd inspired prog), I hope to review these albums very soon.

By the way, here's my Mikromidas review .... Trons Thumbs%20Up

MIKROMIDAS - Brennende drommer (****)

This band is from Norway, the Western part of Skandinavia, known for its ‘fjords’ and ‘Vikings’. They consists of Atle Bye (bass, vocals), Rune Forselv (drums), Halvard Jakobsen (guitar and vocals), Oystein Larsen (Hammond organ, piano, mellotron and vocals) and Stale Roar Leirtro (guitar and vocals). On the info sheet the band “wants to emphasize that the text of their songs deal mainly with a light philosophical view of life and the human existence and that the music is a symbiosis of the musical preferences of each sinlge member of the band. The intention is of course to reach an audience, but without letting this wish result in big adjustments in the music tp please the rather single-tracked nowadays market. Mikromidas hopes that there are still people who have an interest in honest and genuine music”. Well, beautiful and sincere words, in my opinion it’s good to have musicians who express them this way and I’m glad that their music on the debut-CD “Brennende drommer” (2004) fits to these honest words because it’s simply wonderful, 24-carat symphonic rock with strong echoes from Barclay James Harvest and elements from Landberk, Anglagard, Kerss Pink and Rousseau.

- The sound on the debut-CD “Brennende drommer” is loaded with Hammond and Mellotron, often the early Barclay James Harvest comes to my mind. But the emotional Norwegian vocals and the layers of violin-Mellotron also evokes the work of fellow Skandinavians  Landberk and Anglagard. The music is rather simple and accesible but the emotional impact is very great, it invites you to dream away from the daily stress and problems! The guitarwork is beautiful and very sensitive with some awesome interplay with the keyboards. The compositions contain alternating climates, from mellow with organ and twanging guitar to sumptuous outbursts with floods of Hammond and Mellotron. Simply wonderful 24-carat progrock!

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 18 2008 at 05:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>