Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 05:44
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

I liked Shinji as a character. Maybe because, sadly, I could relate to him. He's a surprising character in and inherently unrealistic genre, which, I think, is why he's as polarizing as he is.

one of the main reasons why I'm so scared of watching this bloody series
Just jump into it. It's a classic, even though it is definitely not perfect. There's a lot to enjoy about it even if you don't end up liking it.

I will also have to be aware of the incoming "opposition" comments that'll think I'm full of bullsh*t (or something like that...just look at Ben the Sage's Evangelion reviews lol)
Progrockdude
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 06:08

Welp, after finishing all the Monogatari series out right now (though a series of shorts, Koyomimonogatari, is airing now), I hopped over to another show based on a Nisi Oisin light novel series, Katanagatari. So far it's a well executed, fun, colorful, if unoriginal shonen show. 

I've watched Katanagatari and it didn't leave a particualrly good impression on me, it's far too wordy for it's own good, has a tendency for the action to be off screen and the final twist felt really out of character.

I'd started watching the more recent Durarara!! series and realised I'd forgotten too much of what had happened previously so I've gone back to the start to watch it all again.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 06:09
I finished Soul Eater the other day and I thought the ending was dumb, even for that anime's standards. I really enjoyed the first 40 or so episodes though.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 08:56
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Welp, after finishing all the Monogatari series out right now (though a series of shorts, Koyomimonogatari, is airing now), I hopped over to another show based on a Nisi Oisin light novel series, Katanagatari. So far it's a well executed, fun, colorful, if unoriginal shonen show. 

I've watched Katanagatari and it didn't leave a particualrly good impression on me, it's far too wordy for it's own good, has a tendency for the action to be off screen and the final twist felt really out of character.
To me, the wordiness is one of it's main strengths actually. The tangents, the questions asked, the character traits revealed make it feel a bit more realistic, or novel-like. The action is rather underwhelming, though, and sometimes the art style can be too "cartoon-y." As well, it occasionally pulls in shonen tropes I didn't really want to see. It's not a hugely memorable series, to be honest, even though I'm enjoying it. There's not been much that's intrigued or moved me, yet. My reaction to the show is summed up this way: "Nice." 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 02:36
Just watched the first episode of Attack On Titan for the first time and man, it doesn't waste any time getting right into the effed up territory as you see this kid's mom get eaten while their town is overrun with giants. 

Edited by MillsLayne - February 04 2016 at 02:37
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 20:22
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Just watched the first episode of Attack On Titan for the first time and man, it doesn't waste any time getting right into the effed up territory as you see this kid's mom get eaten while their town is overrun with giants. 

you're in for a great ride, especially considering that the second season's hopefully coming out this year.
Progrockdude
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 00:10
Watching ERASED currently. I'm liking it a lot. The first episode tries to condense way too much information, but after that it's a "next episode"-clicker. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 02:51
Just started Durarara!!  I'll keep watching because it's pretty interesting, although I'm not entirely sure as to what's going on.  Also, I'm still in the middle of the Patlabor TV series and just finished Robotech: The Macross Saga.  The further I got into Robotech, the better it got and it reminded me a lot of the original Mobile Suit Gundam (still prefer Gundam, though). 

I'll probably be ordering the Attack On Titan blu rays soon, too, as they're both $20 on Funimation's website right now.  Way cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 03:44
I've been binge watching anime like crazy lately.  In the last couple of weeks, I managed to finish Durarara!! (loved it, sequel series to follow), Noir (it was okay) and Terror In Resonance (I'll be coming back to this one again, so good).  Now, Attack On Titan is on deck and I'm having a bit of nostalgia from the Toonami days with The Big O.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 05:55
attack on titan gets pretty boring after a few episodes imo.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 09:22
As far as I remember Attack on Titan, it gets better and better towards the end. I can't wait to see the next season.

I'm currently watching Gundam Seed, which is not bad, but too slow-paced for my taste.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - March 03 2016 at 09:23
"4/4 - That's 5/4 minus one." - Don Ellis (1934-1978)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 22:22
AoT has slowed a little bit, but it's damn good.  Definitely can't wait to see the next season!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 21:28
Since the winter season is coming to an end, and I'm still trying to catch up on the shows from it, I'll talk on the shows I'm able to finish thus far:

Erased - Probably among my favorites this season. Unfortunately, the ending seems to bring up disappointment from many people, I really don't see it overall. I thought that the killer, though rather predictable on whom he really was, and his backstory was done rather nicely, despite being rather short in showing his backstory (as the manga I've heard was better executed, not to mention that despite news reports the manga was actually different), but I felt satisfied with the anime overall, big time. Very interested in the manga, of course.

KonoSuba - This is the obligatory comedy of the season, and well-deserving of it. Dear god, it's hammered so much on the "RPG game" genre of anime, that even maybe its haters will find something charming of it. From the rather average animation and art (which actually works in its favor, even with the budget being implanted when needed), all of the cliches shown are just put to great effect while also making fun of it (with lots of breaking the fourth wall as well). If you want to get a huge laugh, go watch this series because it's worth it.

So yeah, on another note, can't wait for that MHA greatness coming next week!!! EEEEEKKKKK!!!!! Big smile
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 07:57
Update on the anime from this season:

God Eater - remember this one from the Summer 2015 season, where numerous delays made it to not finish the 13 episodes planned (and only released 9 of said episodes), well, the final four episodes finally came out throughout the month of March, and overall I thought this was an enjoyable anime. The animation and art were probably better (obviously) than the previous episodes, the action was on point, music.....well, not my taste (as we're on this site, lol), but still! The story was still engaging to me, though definitely flawed at some points (especially in regards to Alisa, which is even worse because she's best girl Wink) and totally cliched. Overall, this is a fine anime if you ask me.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 20:04
Okay, definitely going to the side right now, trying to start the Monogatari series during spring break (the last couple of days of it anyway). So far, I finished Bake- and Nisemonogatari, and I really enjoyed it for obvious reasons. The art and animation were beautiful and definitely not of the usual anime, and of f**king course the dialogue and the characters were the main driving force behind it all. Laughing my ass off as well as really being enthralled with the action (when it actually comes lol), Hitagi = bae, her and Araragi being one hell of a couple, I can't wait to see what else comes next whenever I resume my adventure with this series. The pausing to try and read the subtitles (especially with on-screen dialogue) was a pain in the ass, however (especially the first couple of minutes of the first episode of Bake, dear God (also heard it was all in Kizumonogatari as well)).
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 00:59
^I never thought I'd enjoy comedy in anime until I watched GTO and more recently, Golden Boy (borderline soft core LOL).  Not that I don't enjoy comedy, but with anime, it wasn't what I was looking for. 

I recently picked up the Psycho-Pass series (both seasons) and am going through the first season over again before starting season 2 for the first time.  I forgot how much I enjoyed this series.  Almost GitS-lite.
Greys0n View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greys0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 03:40
I like Volleyball, Ajin, Titans Attack
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbonson04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 14:43
I just got into Ajin and it has really turned my negative opinion of cg anime around. They did it very well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 01:39
I'm re-watching Steins Gate and started watching the Rebuild of Eva movies.  I love (so far) how the first movie stays pretty close to the series before veering off in it's own direction with the second and third movies. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 16:35
I dropped Gurren Lagann after eight episodes, it bored me so much I could not watch another episode of it.
A friend of mine recommended me Monster and I really liked the first two episodes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243>