Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424425426427428 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 14:31
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Yup those are the three options.

You're all leaving out the mass-suicide-by-contract option

Confused er....what is that exactly?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 11:06
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 12:33
^ f**king rich coming from him. ha.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 01:47
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 03:56
"Terrorism" comes from the French word terrorisme, and originally referred specifically to state terrorism as practiced by the French government during the 1793–1794 Reign of terror.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 04:06
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

"Terrorism" comes from the French word terrorisme, and originally referred specifically to state terrorism as practiced by the French government during the 1793–1794 Reign of terror.
It comes from the latin word Terror, used first by the Romans later adopted by the French.  Wink
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 04:45
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

It comes from the latin word Terror, used first by the Romans later adopted by the French.  Wink

From Proto-Indo-European *tres-, extended form of Proto-Indo-European *ter-. Cognate with Avestan [script needed] ‎(trərəsaiti), Ancient Greek τρέω ‎(tréō), Old Irish tarrach, Lithuanian trišu, Latvian trisēt, Old Church Slavonic трѧсти ‎(tręsti), Sanskrit त्रसति ‎(trasati) Beer
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 04:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well we aren't Paris.. we've shown more than enough capacity for senseless and large scale violence and for allowing wackos access to guns. Perhaps I'm just jaded. Sandy Hook finally woke me up. This country don't give a f**k about who and how many die. If that tragedy didn't wake this country up to the cancer within it. NOTHING will. Really though I think the only people that care 'who' did it are the press. The people are dead no matter who did it. Terrorists make more for better headlines.  I woudn't think they'd waste the time with such a small potatoes operation here. Let us kill ourselves off.. we are much better at it than they are hah.

It isn't like next week, or next month.. some one will just say f**k it all and take a bunch of people with them. Will our country being 'safe' from terrorists make it better.  Pfffff.  Isn't the reality of our life today..unlike my stupid days of youth where I thought we could actually do something about it. We can't. Guns are simply far too ingrained in our culture.. sh*t Pat.. our national zeigeist. Our nation was formed in blood, expanded in blood, and defended in blood. We are simply a country and society of violence.   It is simply the way life is today as I see it.  You always have to have eyes in the back of your head. Not for terrorists... 

As a life-long amateur military historian, I just don’t understand. The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”. The intent was to prevent the colonial power Great Britain and its armed forces to put down the revolt (The American Revolution) by having each citizen bear arms and fight as a Militia (a citizen army) to defend its constitution.  

In modern terms, 319 million US citizens can be armed to the teeth, making it BY FAR the largest military machine on the planet as China (owner of the largest conventional armed force) can field nearly 4.5 million soldiers (that include reserves). Who in their right mind would want to invade the USA? So I ask this simple question: if you can field 319 million well-armed citizens, why have an army, air force, marines and navy, as well as enough nukes to blow the universe sideways? Answer: to police and protect the world! Really, how convenient!  This is the definition of OVERKILL, an American pastime. “I need an AK-47 to go hunting” one idiot once told me. Hunting quail, I answered. He was not amused, told me to go back to communist Canada! Oppsy….  

Sandy Hook, Columbine, Newtown, San Ysidro, Virginia Tech, etc….

Since august 1, 1966, shooters brought an average of three weapons to each shooting; one carried seven guns. We don’t know how all the guns were acquired, but of the ones we know, 141 were obtained legally and 37 were obtained illegally.

ITS A BUSINESS........Confused

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 07:27
 Clap join the crowd Thomas.  I can just relate my personal experiences with guns and the gun culture here. This country still has a strong 'frontier ethos' a century long past it being having any real validity. The second ammendment is the product of a life and times that no longer exists.  What is also a part of the national identity is a strong fear of the government, which well...ALWAYS has validity LOL With that comes a strong sense of indepence and self reliance and ..yes... guns are seen by some as obviously the means to protect ones personal independence and self reliance.

It was a part of my upbringing, my father was a Vietnam vet, loved guns and had a sh*tload of them. I was shooting and hunting before I kissed my first girl. I damn sure am not the only one as child of the 70's.. or even today.

perhaps that is the root of the problem here LOL  Just as they say it is easier to destroy than to create... it is much easier to fear and hate than to trust and love.  Oh well.  It is life today, ask me later if I am blown away in a public place if it made a damn if it was terrorist or someone who just lost their marbles.  Of course politicians of a certain...ideology are clamoring all over the threat of radical Islam here.. but you are FAR FAR FAR more likely to get wasted by one of their supporters.  Is it just me.. or is that totally f**ked up man.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 08:00
wow...  so where do I buy my vacation home there...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35013190

Edited by micky - December 05 2015 at 08:02
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 08:08
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 08:38
^ What a whiner! Cry Putin is all talk and a bully to smaller countries, and the sooner everyone understands that, the better off everyone will be. Do they have electricity in Crimea yet? LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

As a life-long amateur military historian, I just don’t understand. The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”. The intent was to prevent the colonial power Great Britain and its armed forces to put down the revolt (The American Revolution) by having each citizen bear arms and fight as a Militia (a citizen army) to defend its constitution.  

Sandy Hook, Columbine, Newtown, San Ysidro, Virginia Tech, etc….

ITS A BUSINESS........Confused

That's what I've been thinking for a long time. All of that. Sometimes I just get the impression that these people want to lay their hands on guns just because they can. I got this impression because I never really understood this obsession with weapons (and this is coming from a guy who thinks that at-home stun gun is a good idea for personal security).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 05 2015 at 09:24
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 09:24
Beer
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ What a whiner! Cry Putin is all talk and a bully to smaller countries, and the sooner everyone understands that, the better off everyone will be. Do they have electricity in Crimea yet? LOL
Ukraine is another story. I support the teritorial integrity of Ukraine, as same as official Belgrade, and I said what I think about that conflict at the thread entitled "Ukraine" posted at this sub-forum. Though, regards Syria, I can only to support Russia because Putin makes good things in Syria. And I wish to see an international coalition against IS.
Sadly, NATO destroyed almost all of our MIGs in that agression against Serbia in 1999, and following corrupted goverments in Belgrade didn't care to buy new ones, and now we don't have bombarders to send them to bomb IS. That's a shame.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:02
a shame? What world are you living in Svetty. You all should be lucky you all just lost your toy air force and we didn't make Belgrade a giant hole in the ground. LOL

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:04
^ What a terrible thing to say Micky Confused
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:18
of course it is... but the point still stands. LOLWink
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:19
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Sadly, NATO destroyed almost all of our MIGs in that agression against Serbia in 1999...

Aggression? LOL Serbia never gets bombed if it doesn't commit genocide. Isn't it amazing how that works?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

a shame? What world are you living in Svetty. You all should be lucky you all just lost your toy air force and we didn't make Belgrade a giant hole in the ground. LOL

It is true that NATO wasn't dropped an A-bomb on Belgrade, but your war criminals Tony Blair and Clinton were bombing a lot of strictly civilian targets:

Trains full of civilians....

Hospital "Dr Dragisa Mišović" in Belgrade...

Television building in Belgrade...

Television building in Novi Sad (80km north of Belgrade)...

Embassy of People Republic of China in Belgrade...

Many bridges....

Well, all that infrastructure, we were already repaired, but there's is something else, much more important...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424425426427428 446>