Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 08:40
Testimony is an excellent read - especially after listening to the album hundreds of times. It pulls the story all together in a very satisfying way.

And you get a real insight into his writing process ("Stop everything! Neal heard a cello!")
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 12:31
 New Neal Morse band album out early next year!

THE NEAL MORSE BAND
INVITES FANS TO EXPERIENCE
‘THE GREAT ADVENTURE

WITH NEW ALBUM SET FOR RELEASE JANUARY 25, 2019
ON RADIANT RECORDS/METAL BLADE WORLDWIDE;

WORLDWIDE TOUR STARTS
FEBRUARY 2, 2019 IN NASHVILLE AT CITY WINERY

October 15, 2018 -- THE NEAL MORSE BAND—Neal Morse (lead vocals, guitars, keyboards), Mike Portnoy (drums, vocals), Randy George (bass), Bill Hubauer (keyboards, vocals), Eric Gillette (guitars, vocals)—will take fans on THE GREAT ADVENTURE with their latest double concept album due out January 25, 2019 on Radiant Records via Metal Blade Worldwide. It will be available in three formats: a two CD package, two CD/DVD Special Edition featuring behind-the-scenes video clips of the making of the album, and three vinyl LPs. Pre-orders begin December 4 on Radiant Records’ website.

The follow-up to 2016’s critically acclaimed THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM, which critics hailed as “a masterpiece,” will be the ninth studio album with Morse, Portnoy and George, and the third as a true collaboration with this current lineup. Together, Morse and Portnoy have launched four bands, but the one that has endured the longest and thus with the most musical output has been THE NEAL MORSE BAND.

“Let the great adventure now begin…” The closing line of THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM, has proved to be strangely prophetic. The new album is exactly that: a perfect companion piece to TSOAD’s partial retelling of John Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress. It has everything that fans would expect from an album by THE NEAL MORSE BAND, and more: rock, metal, classical and jazz elements appear throughout, as well as some killer melodies, all played faultlessly by some of the greatest rock musicians on the planet.

As Neal Morse explains, “This band continues to amaze me! I have to say it was a little daunting to follow up THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM as it was such a special album and it delivered every night at our concerts, but I believe that THE GREAT ADVENTURE will have a tremendous impact as well. This new double album is everything that I hoped it would be! I listened through last night and I was in tears at the end!“

Mike Portnoy emphatically agrees. He says, “How do you follow an epic double concept album??? Well, create another epic double concept album!! Hahaha. I always knew topping THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM was going to be difficult, if not impossible, as I held it in such high regard, but alas, I am absolutely blown away with what we achieved here! We’ve created what is the ultimate companion to TSOAD.”

“Sometimes there are things that you just can’t mess with,” Randy George continues. “On THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM we tapped into something special. I was sure that the follow up should be something quite different, but you have to follow your heart and follow the music where it wants to go. THE GREAT ADVENTURE is nothing short of a miracle. It’s similar to SIMILITUDE in concept and form, but yet it’s tougher and deeper in its tone! This is a powerful work and I look forward to playing it live!”

True to the album’s title, the creative process was indeed a “great adventure.” Unlike many previous Morse albums, which have often been written and arranged within weeks, this time around these prolific and world-class musicians spent almost a year working on the end result, producing an abundance of top quality material. This meant some ruthless decision-making: some already completed songs and characters had to go, and-–with studio time running out–new links and ideas were being composed and recorded up to the eleventh hour. “A lot of work and re-work has gone into this,” says Morse, “but I know that some of the most successful and far-reaching albums I’ve been involved with have been just like that. SOLA SCRIPTURA and Spock’s Beard’s SNOW album come to mind.”

Another key question that had to be addressed in the studio was how to pull all the ideas together into a coherent whole. In the end, what unlocked this “adventure” for Morse was the realization that THE GREAT ADVENTURE needed a new voice and perspective. This time, it is that of the Pilgrim’s abandoned son, a younger, perhaps angrier, voice than was heard on THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM.

THE NEAL MORSE BAND will bring THE GREAT ADVENTURE to fans worldwide with a new round of headlining tour dates, which begin February 3, 2019 in Nashville at City Winery. Check them out at any of the following stops, with more shows to be added in the coming months:

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 23:12
I'm actually hoping it's better than Similitude, not a huge fan of that effort, simply too long IMO. 3-LP set tells me it's as long, just hoping for more engaging total effort.
Need some music from Neal that will get me excited again.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 08:50
I love Similitude so this is excellent news to me. Hopefully they will keep the recurring themes to a minimum (like Neal did with Testimony 2.)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 08:46
The Great Adventure is better than Similitude Of A Dream.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 19:25
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 23:51
Great review Todd
I was never a fan of this man but reading through your wonderful writeup certainly made me curious about the new mix of veal and horse.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 14:18
^ Thanks, David! I don't review often--it takes a lot out of me.

There is a lot more under the hood in this one than in the typical symphonic fare. If you're willing to put in the effort, it can be rewarding for a someone like you who isn't usually drawn to straight symphonic prog. 

My Gnosis Ratings

foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 20:46
The Great Adventure seems to be what I hoped for when Neal Morse formed the NMB: a true musical nexus of five great musicians. This is still a Neal Morse album and all of his trademarks are here, but it incorporates a lot more musical styles, sounds, and ideas than previous works. (Even the obligatory overture is more awesome than usual!) I need to listen to TGA more, but it's shaping up to be one of his best albums--if not the best.
Kudos to everyone involved!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:49
TGA might be the best thing Neal has ever done - and that's saying something!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:54
Ordering the album today, 3-LP set in white vinyl....since it is "the best thing Neal has ever done". Big smile

Also saw they are playing Seattle, did not see this till now. Thinking about going but I have seen T1 and T2 and Transatlantic and the venue they picked is a dinner theater setup, not a fan. We'll see........
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 08:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ordering the album today, 3-LP set in white vinyl....since it is "the best thing Neal has ever done". Big smile

Also saw they are playing Seattle, did not see this till now. Thinking about going but I have seen T1 and T2 and Transatlantic and the venue they picked is a dinner theater setup, not a fan. We'll see........

You won't be sorry...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 09:01
Spoiler Alert: Neal Morse Encore.

The band is doing all of The Great Adventure followed by a 25 minute medley consisting of music from all nine previous Neal Morse/Neal Morse Band LP's (chronologically) finishing up with Similitude's big ending...
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 21:00
Hey check out the interview I just posted. Thumbs Up

My Gnosis Ratings

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 02:23
I will be seeing them on April 13th in Barcelona  Tongue
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 13:54
Neal has said in an interview that Transatlantic is planning on getting together at the end of the year to start work on LP5!!! I hope this is correct!!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 15:11
I'm probably going to get a ticket to see him in a couple of weeks since he's playing in my area. I've only seen him once and that was at Rosfest a couple of years ago. He was really great though and anyone into him even the slightest or old Spock's Beard(although I don't think he does much old SB if any)really owes it to themselves to go see him. 
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 01:19
I'm seeing them in San Francisco March 7, very excited!

My Gnosis Ratings

Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 07:42
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Spoiler Alert: Neal Morse Encore.

The band is doing all of The Great Adventure followed by a 25 minute medley consisting of music from all nine previous Neal Morse/Neal Morse Band LP's (chronologically) finishing up with Similitude's big ending...

Not counting the worship albums (which are kinda unofficial releases anyway), the medley has nothing from his first album, It's Not Too Late, Songs from November or Life & Times, so it is not accurate to say that every Neal and NMB album is being represented.  Just an FYI. ;) 

As for the new album, I like it, but I don't love it.  Definitely a big step down from Similitude. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 12:38
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Neal has said in an interview that Transatlantic is planning on getting together at the end of the year to start work on LP5!!! I hope this is correct!!!

He's certainly very busy if that's the case. I understand the third Flying Colors album is in progress too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445>