Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 15:12
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Out of Focus – Not Too Late<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">I can honestly say I love this band but this is due to mainly because of one album, the self titled one.</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">I also have the debut and Four letter Monday Afternoon and while I think they're decent they've never came close to the excellent S/T album.</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Never heard the one you mentioned here, any good?
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">

</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire (soooooo much better than the debut album)</span><span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Oh and I'm with you about this one Thumbs Up</span>

`Not Too Late' is very sax driven, but it was the first Out of Focus album that I heard, Sagi, and I thought it was (and still is) a total knockout. I think it was unreleased until the 90's, but it's a real deal 70's recorded album.

For years I've been trying to learn to love that Mahavishnu debut,and it still ain't happening. I find it really repetitive and unengaging...that follow-up though wipes the floor with it, and I definitely pick up a noisy Crimson-like quality on it too.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - January 26 2016 at 15:12
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 15:34

Sam, I had to dig out my CD, turns out that is a very diferent track from the fifteen minute `mix' piece that came with the download version. The one you're referring to is a very cold electronic drone. I certainly wouldn't call it boring (although some people cannot find much merit in the more drone-based electronic music), but it's definitely not considered part of the proper album. Just do what I do with most bonus/extra tracks - ignore them altogether, or listen once, appreciate and then banish!
I thought it was boring because he never stays a lot of time in the same place, the music has a lot of movement and detail. The sound quality of that track is also not really good. If it's an hidden track I think it's part of the album, but if it's not I'll ignore it then.

Porcupine Tree – The Incident

Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire (soooooo much better than the debut album)

Jethro Tull – Too Old to Rock N Roll…
How was it this time?

I should listen to them more, I heard one of the tracks the other day and really liked it Smile

Was it Dull? Tongue

Today:
Harmonium - Si on Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison (I heard this album so many times and still don't understand a half of the lyrics LOL)
Soft Machine - Six
Acid Mess - II (Michael (if you remember them Tongue), it looks like they'll release this album on vinyl soon. They also announced a concert here and I sure want to go Big smile)
My Home On Trees - How I Reached Home
NOFX - So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 15:39
^ Thanks Michael I'll check it out on utube.

Birds Of Fire remains the only MO album that I like, I'm not into Mclaughlin's playing really, but this one is awesome. I remember the first time I heard MO was when I was studying in sound school, and we had to play something we like to the whole class and this dude played the 10 minute One Word. I was just getting into prog and I don't think I've ever heard anything that intense and tight before, and I remember everyone thinking What the f**k was that??
Of course later I asked him if he'd like to be my best friend...LOL

I played Zappa Peaches En Regalia and the only one who liked it was my teacher, he winked at me and went like this Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 18:25
^ Nice story Sagi

Tonight's choices:
Kari Ikonen Trio - Bright
Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - alieNatura (I has to turn the volume up on this one. It's incredible from one end to the other )
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 22:00
^ ...that is a great story Sagi. ;)

Niadem's Ghost-- In Sheltering winds ( this is an awesome album. God, anything Peter Nicholls is a part of is gold. ;)
Arena---Smoke and mirrors (DVD )
Rick w**kman-- Out There
Tangerine Dream-- Legend: motion picture score
Lacuna Coil-- broken Crown Halo
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 00:59
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I thought it was boring because he never stays a lot of time in the same place, the music has a lot of movement and detail. The sound quality of that track is also not really good. If it's an hidden track I think it's part of the album, but if it's not I'll ignore it then.

Well it's not even listed on the CD spine, no mention of it in the CD booklet/sleeve, and I wouldn't even have a clue what the title is! Just think of it as a fleeting experiment he probably threw on there with no real motive. It's certainly THE most drone based work I've ever heard from him, even those two albums I mentioned above that are slightly more `drone'y' from him are still full of colour and floating sounds.

Porcupine Tree – The Incident

Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire (soooooo much better than the debut album)

Jethro Tull – Too Old to Rock N Roll…

How was it this time?

I should listen to them more, I heard one of the tracks the other day and really liked it Smile

Was it Dull? Tongue

Today:
Harmonium - Si on Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison (I heard this album so many times and still don't understand a half of the lyrics LOL)
Soft Machine - Six
Acid Mess - II (Michael (if you remember them Tongue), it looks like they'll release this album on vinyl soon. They also announced a concert here and I sure want to go Big smile)
NOFX - So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes

Perhaps check out Youtube and listen to the Mahavishnu Orchestra debut first, then the follow-up? I don't know...the debut (for me personally, and perhaps Sagi feels the same way?) seems overly technical to the point of having not a trace of genuine emotion in it, and the pieces are relentless, overlong and become very monotonous. To be honest, it's held me back from trying to explore the band more, because I always find it very unengaging, and trying to force myself to like it hasn't worked so far! The second album instantly sounded more interesting to my ears. Let us know your thoughts if you hear the debut, it's mostly considered a total classic of jazz-fusion, so maybe I'm the lone lunatic?!

I didn't get to give `The Incident' my full attention, but it seemed even more unengaging than I recalled. The heavier elements seem really below them and kind of basic, and it doesn't convince even slightly as a `55 extended concept piece' (it's really just a bunch of fragments thrown together). It holds some terrific pieces - `I Drive the Hearse', `Time Flies' etc are all superb, but it's not a patch on the amazing `Fear of a Blank Planet' album before it, which still holds up immensely well.

That Tull album...Do you know it's often considered by JT fans as one of their poorest? Well, maybe because I don't really care about JT, I find it perfectly listenable, and if anything the punchier tracks and more concise arrangements make it easier to enjoy! Maybe have a listen and see if you can stand it more as well?!

Thanks for the tip-off, will you please keep me updated on the Acid Mess vinyl?! I'll likely forget!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - January 27 2016 at 01:00
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 01:02
Tame Impala - "Live Versions"
Lightning Bolt - "Hypermagic Mountain"
Material - "Hallucination Engine"
of Montreal - "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?"
Grandaddy - "The Sophtware Slump"
v/a - "Smithsonian Collection Of Classic Jazz: Volume I"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 01:12

^ Thanks Michael I'll check it out on utube.

Birds Of Fire remains the only MO album that I like, I'm not into Mclaughlin's playing really, but this one is awesome. I remember the first time I heard MO was when I was studying in sound school, and we had to play something we like to the whole class and this dude played the 10 minute One Word. I was just getting into prog and I don't think I've ever heard anything that intense and tight before, and I remember everyone thinking What the f**k was that??
Of course later I asked him if he'd like to be my best friend...LOL

I played Zappa Peaches En Regalia and the only one who liked it was my teacher, he winked at me and went like this Thumbs Up

Hilarious, my friend!

I had my first exposure to the Mahavishnu Orchestra when I was dating my second girlfriend, something like about 18-20 years ago. Her Dad had a big vinyl collection, full of prog and jazz fusion, but he eventually got won over by the punk, new wave, indie stuff a few years later and moved on fully to that. He was astonished that a younger fella was so completely obsessed in the early 70's/prog stuff, and he pretty much started going through his LP's, digging out record after record, saying `here, take all this'. One of them was Mahavishnu Orchestra's live disc `Between Nothingness and Eternity'. I have to admit, had he known of the sort of sexual debauchery and naughtiness his daughter and I were getting up to, he probably would have been pretty reluctant to give me much of anything besides a shotgun pointed in the face!

About a year back I bought a cheapo CD box-set from a local music chain that had the first four studio and first live album of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. It cost roughly $15 Australian, and I thought that would be the least expensive and least risky way to get their most highly-regarded works. Only the second album has made much of an impression on me so far...I'll keep at it. I certainly don't connect with it in even close to the same way as the first seven or eight Santana band albums (although that's probably a very clichéd and lazy comparison), I pretty much adore all of their albums.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 01:30
Funny you mentioned Santana, do you know the collaboration album of McLaughlin and Santana? I forget the name now.
I certainly prefer it to MO's debut, it doesn't sound that technical like you said (although it does contain a certain level of technical playing) but still not as interesting as Birds Of Fire
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 04:14

Funny you mentioned Santana, do you know the collaboration album of McLaughlin and Santana? I forget the name now.
I certainly prefer it to MO's debut, it doesn't sound that technical like you said (although it does contain a certain level of technical playing) but still not as interesting as Birds Of Fire

Sagi, I do have that Collab album, I just haven't listened to it very much yet. I have a friend who rates in amongst her absolute top 10 favourite albums of all time, so I promised her that I'd actually get onto listening to it. I think my `ho-hum' response to the first Mahavishnu Orchestra album kind of disinterested me from the Collab album so far.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 05:31

Well it's not even listed on the CD spine, no mention of it in the CD booklet/sleeve, and I wouldn't even have a clue what the title is! Just think of it as a fleeting experiment he probably threw on there with no real motive. It's certainly THE most drone based work I've ever heard from him, even those two albums I mentioned above that are slightly more `drone'y' from him are still full of colour and floating sounds. 

Perhaps check out Youtube and listen to the Mahavishnu Orchestra debut first, then the follow-up? I don't know...the debut (for me personally, and perhaps Sagi feels the same way?) seems overly technical to the point of having not a trace of genuine emotion in it, and the pieces are relentless, overlong and become very monotonous. To be honest, it's held me back from trying to explore the band more, because I always find it very unengaging, and trying to force myself to like it hasn't worked so far! The second album instantly sounded more interesting to my ears. Let us know your thoughts if you hear the debut, it's mostly considered a total classic of jazz-fusion, so maybe I'm the lone lunatic?!

I didn't get to give `The Incident' my full attention, but it seemed even more unengaging than I recalled. The heavier elements seem really below them and kind of basic, and it doesn't convince even slightly as a `55 extended concept piece' (it's really just a bunch of fragments thrown together). It holds some terrific pieces - `I Drive the Hearse', `Time Flies' etc are all superb, but it's not a patch on the amazing `Fear of a Blank Planet' album before it, which still holds up immensely well.

That Tull album...Do you know it's often considered by JT fans as one of their poorest? Well, maybe because I don't really care about JT, I find it perfectly listenable, and if anything the punchier tracks and more concise arrangements make it easier to enjoy! Maybe have a listen and see if you can stand it more as well?!

Thanks for the tip-off, will you please keep me updated on the Acid Mess vinyl?! I'll likely forget!
It should probably be identified as a bonus track then Tongue

I heard the first four albums and Trident Sessions once, two or three years ago. The two albums after BoF seemed quite good too, softer and with classical music influences. I'll give them another listen after I finish revisiting Soft Machine.

I listened to a couple of tracks from it on a Prog radio a few weeks ago and I thought they were really nice. I'll try it then Smile

I will Thumbs Up I hope they already have them in two months, it would be another reason to see them Wink

Edited by Meltdowner - January 27 2016 at 05:31
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 07:06
Yesterday (Tuesday)...

El Circulo De Willis - CuadradO
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Echoes And Signals - V
Tides From Nebula - Eternal Movement
Hell Camino - Orange Lily
Twin Speak - Twin Speak
Volbeat - Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 14:26
Just a few yesterday:

Atomic Rooster – s/t
Atomic Rooster – Death Walks Behind You
Return to Forever – Where Have I Known You Before
Forrest Fang – The Sleepwalker’s Ocean
Alpha Wave Movement – Soniq Variants
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 16:01
^ I saw there's currently a AWM sale and I'm thinking about getting four CD's: Architexture, Horizons and two others. What do you recommend? Smile

Today:
Soft Machine - Seven
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life (What a trip! Cool I prefer this one to HCE and The Incident)
Saturnia - Muzak
Møster! - When You Cut Into the Present
Embryo - Opal
Counterpunch - Bruises
Push Kings - Far Places
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 16:28

^ I saw there's currently a AWM sale and I'm thinking about getting four CD's: Architexture, Horizons and two others. What do you recommend? Smile

Today:
Soft Machine - Seven
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life (What a trip! Cool I prefer this one to HCE and The Incident)
Saturnia - Muzak
Møster! - When You Cut Into the Present
Embryo - Opal
Counterpunch - Bruises
Push Kings - Far Places

Hmmmm...I would go for `Architexture', `Earthen', `System A' and possibly `Harmonic Currents' (if you want something like Steve Hillage's `Rainbow Dome Musick'....`Celestial Chronicles' is a nice chilled one, not as demanding or thoughtful, but a lovely easy-going disc.

That's always been a terrific PT disc...all those Delirium label discs are very precious in the PT catalogue...it annoys me how often some of them are ignored because `they're not metal yet'. sh*t, it wipes the floor with `The Incident'!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 16:48
^ Earthen and System A, then. Thanks Thumbs Up Curiously, I was thinking about buying some of his albums next month. Good timing Wink

It's a compilation of completely different tracks but I think the album flows surprisingly well. I totally agree with that Clap At SWilson's concert last year there was a group of fans listening to Jupiter Island and making fun of it... I wasn't mad since I was digging that track LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 18:12
Tonight:
Steve Hillage - Green (Fantastic! Did this album inspire Ozric Tentacles?)
Jonas Munk - Pan (This album gets better and better )
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 18:55

Tonight:
Steve Hillage - Green (Fantastic! Did this album inspire Ozric Tentacles?)
Jonas Munk - Pan (This album gets better and better )

Ummmm? I think you'd enjoy "Jarassic Shift" by the tentacles.
I could swear I hear Hillage on that album...i could be wrong.

Today and tonight's line up.

Niadem's Ghost-- In Sheltering winds
Gary Hughes- the once and future king Pt1
While Heaven Wept-- Vast Oceans of lachrymose .
Dream Theater-- 6 degrees of inner turbulence.
Charred walls of the Damned-- S/T
IQ-- Ever
Moonspell-- dark Eternal.
Savatage-- gutter Ballet
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 18:59
Sam, Hillage's `Green' definitely sounds like an influence on the Ozrics, but one ting I will say - Hillage's guitar sound is NOTHING like the Ozrics, not even close! I keep reading lazy comparisons between the two, but where Hillage's guitar is warm and fuzzy, the Ozrics electric guitar sound is metallic, shreddy and harsh in comparison!

Hey Nick, that new Dream Theater album must be due any day now?
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 00:30
Wolf Alice - "My Love Is Cool"
of Montreal - "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?"
Animal Collective - "Feels"
v/a - "Smithsonian Collection Of Classic Jazz: Volume II"
Rocketship - "A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness"
Foxygen - "Take the Kids Off Broadway"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 511>