Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 13:25
Wow! An original copy of the L'uovo Di Colombo album just went on ebay for Ģ847!
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 13:26

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Wow! An original copy of the L'uovo Di Colombo album just went on ebay for Ģ847!

I hope to do a review sometimes next month.... Wink

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 06:34
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I hope to do a review sometimes next month.... Wink

ClapLOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 07:46
^^Iīve been looking for that particular album myselfBig smile

Just got into Arti e Mestieri through The Trip. I thought the drummer was excellent, and I am such a sucker for meaty drummers, - and sure thing found out he had gone on to play for a fusion group. Got the one with the ballet shoes, and was totally blown away! Many fusion groups lack melody, but got loads of chops IMO - these guys got both. A jazzy version of PFM?

BTW - Chris, I canīt believe you rated my favorite Battiato album 3*. Might have to fix up a doctorīs appointment for you...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:04
Vault Pick: This is a fantastic album.  Gets less attention than their first three, but in my opinion is of the same quality level.  Beautiful.  Pretty much secures Banco as my favorite of the big 3.
If you enjoy Banco's more popular titles, do not miss this one.  It's a grower, it takes a little more time to reveal its beauty, but it will.  Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:12
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Vault Pick: This is a fantastic album.  Gets less attention than their first three, but in my opinion is of the same quality level.  Beautiful.  Pretty much secures Banco as my favorite of the big 3.
If you enjoy Banco's more popular titles, do not miss this one.  It's a grower, it takes a little more time to reveal its beauty, but it will.  Smile

I love his voice on this album! Either they recorded it better, or he finally reached his full potential. Iīm inclined to think the former myself. 
Great review you did on Grand Turismo Veloce! Iīm really looking forward to that release.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 13:17
Jim, I'm with you.  That album is in my view as good as the first three, though not as accessible.  In my book, their first four are five star masterpieces.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 14:36

Thanks Guldbam.  I hope more people write about that one.

Todd, I think its a 5 for me too.  I wish the sound were better though.  It's OK but sounds muffled to me.  If there's a Japan mini on that one, I might have to splurge. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 15:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Just got into Arti e Mestieri through The Trip. I thought the drummer was excellent, and I am such a sucker for meaty drummers, - and sure thing found out he had gone on to play for a fusion group. Got the one with the ballet shoes, and was totally blown away! Many fusion groups lack melody, but got loads of chops IMO - these guys got both. A jazzy version of PFM?

BTW - Chris, I canīt believe you rated my favorite Battiato album 3*. Might have to fix up a doctorīs appointment for you...

Sorry, there's no known cure for my bad taste! Just kidding, I know you're only pulling my chain. Smile I don't put too much emphasis on ratings these days (I guess you don't either) and I'd actually be happy to post reviews without ratings. I only gave the Cervello album 3* as well, and the L'Uovo di Colombo a mere 2*.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 15:53
I'm a bit late with this but thanks to everyone for the nice comments re Ianva.

@Lizzy - have you heard L'Oblio by Amanita? I think you'd enjoy that one, lots of great flute.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 07:02
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Sorry, there's no known cure for my bad taste! Just kidding, I know you're only pulling my chain. Smile I don't put too much emphasis on ratings these days (I guess you don't either) and I'd actually be happy to post reviews without ratings. I only gave the Cervello album 3* as well, and the L'Uovo di Colombo a mere 2*.

Iīm with you regarding the whole rating system. How could one ever put a price tag/value/currency on something you love so dearly? Iīve got a truckload of albums Iīd probably rate 2*, but each of them contains one or two pieces of music that I would trade my life in for. 
Melos is actually one of the few RPI albums, where I totally agree with JimLOL   

- Douglas Adams
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 16:23

Todd, I think its a 5 for me too.  I wish the sound were better though.  It's OK but sounds muffled to me.  If there's a Japan mini on that one, I might have to splurge. 

Actually Jim, the sounds great on the Esoteric remaster. Only problem is you'll have to put up with the English version. Wink
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 16:35

Iīm with you regarding the whole rating system. How could one ever put a price tag/value/currency on something you love so dearly? Iīve got a truckload of albums Iīd probably rate 2*, but each of them contains one or two pieces of music that I would trade my life in for. 

I hear what you guys are saying on the ratings issue. Must admit I'm glad of them just for an at a glance idea on albums. All albums seem to get a few reviews that are less than complimentary, even the biggies but I think they kind of level themselves out generally speaking if you catch my drift and most seem to have a rating that's probably fairly consistent with the general consensus.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 17:25

Actually Jim, the sounds great on the Esoteric remaster. Only problem is you'll have to put up with the English version. Wink

Ha!  Not a chance.  English vocals totally kill the RPI experience for me.  While Italian vocals are not required for the sub genre definition, they are required for me to enjoy myselfLOL

Nothing worse than a hearing a good vocalist, with fluid access to the world's most beautiful language, using English.
Call me a purist!Big smile

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 23:00

Ha!  Not a chance.  English vocals totally kill the RPI experience for me.  While Italian vocals are not required for the sub genre definition, they are required for me to enjoy myselfLOL

Nothing worse than a hearing a good vocalist, with fluid access to the world's most beautiful language, using English.
Call me a purist!Big smile

Yeah, I found the same thing with say, Osanna's L'uomo and really wished it didn't have the English vocals. I still like the album, but I can't help feeling it would have been ace without.

It's a shame the European bands felt that pressure to use English in order gain more exposure (if that's what it was). I want to take a step back from blaming the closed-mind mentality of the general western music listening populace, but it seems like poor form from a listener who cannot accept a band singing in their native tongue. Now, I don't mean lyrics are unimportant, but language is and if anyone knows anything about the differences between languages re: syllables/sound units and thus rhythm and the vocal line etc, then native tongue is vital.

Ok, sorry about the rant. Calming down. Actually, speaking of Osanna - anyone here heard their 'Prog Family' release from a few years back? I'm interested but haven't shelled out yet. Any thoughts?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 00:53
^ Well, for me the original Osanna albums are the real deal.  The first three, even to a lesser extent the next two, are all just absolute killers.  Whenever I spin "Prog Family" it just makes me want to play the originals.  So I would say get the first three, then the next two, then if you're still hungry go for "Prog Family."
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 16:07

I hear what you guys are saying on the ratings issue. Must admit I'm glad of them just for an at a glance idea on albums. All albums seem to get a few reviews that are less than complimentary, even the biggies but I think they kind of level themselves out generally speaking if you catch my drift and most seem to have a rating that's probably fairly consistent with the general consensus.

I guess itīs my studies that soaks through in my way thinking. I also find ratings to be informative - well at least if the given record has been reviewed by a vast amount of people - including ones I really respect, - but what I mean to say is more, that when we try to cram something as vital and inexplicable as music into boxes - we might in the long run be spoiling some of the magic, because we all the time are trying to put something as finit as a number on what essentially is metaphysics - well the experience of listening that is... 
Actually reading Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben at the moment, who strongly urges people to let go of biometrics and all the boxes attached to it. Itīs not that we donīt need different names for things to differentiate, but sometimes we make up stuff where they arenīt needed at all. Itīs ok to use ratings - but maybe sometimes people get too caught up in the process of having to judge something - and totally and utterly forgets to listen to the music.

- Douglas Adams
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 16:41

@Lizzy - have you heard L'Oblio by Amanita? I think you'd enjoy that one, lots of great flute.

I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. :D Flute is always a big plus in my book (so is harpsichord Wink).

Three Monks was excellent. Unfortunately I only got to listen to Neogothic Progressive Toccatas once and couldn't focus on it as much as I would've wanted to, but I really do have to hear again.
Property of Queen Productions...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 22:03
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ Well, for me the original Osanna albums are the real deal.  The first three, even to a lesser extent the next two, are all just absolute killers.  Whenever I spin "Prog Family" it just makes me want to play the originals.  So I would say get the first three, then the next two, then if you're still hungry go for "Prog Family."

Awesome, thanks Todd! I'm only waiting on the soundtrack from Osanna to complete my collection of their first 3 albums, but it's good to hear that you reckon the 'Prog Family' is good too. I wondered how Gianni Leone would fit into the new line up (think I'd work really well) for instance.   And the two albums after their masterwork, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, think I should buy 'em any way? I kind of want to anyway, partly due to the obsessive/completionist side of me!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 05:12
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. :D Flute is always a big plus in my book (so is harpsichord Wink).

Three Monks was excellent. Unfortunately I only got to listen to Neogothic Progressive Toccatas once and couldn't focus on it as much as I would've wanted to, but I really do have to hear again.

Great to hear you enjoyed Three Monks Lizzy. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 358>