Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 05:44
I can send you a couple of translations of Master and Margreta, of you want? Wink

Edited by Geck0 - November 26 2006 at 05:45
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 06:02
Cheers for that, James.

Also I did a quick little search for some Borges material and came up with two short stories, there was some poetry as well but I think I might leave that for later (I'm a little hit and miss with that kind of prose):

- The Library of Babel
- The Universe

Sound philosophical already Big smile I will have to print them off in the near future.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 06:04
The Library of Babel is interesting, but I've yet to read The Universe.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 10:29
Roger Osborne's 'Civilisation' a treatise of the rise of western civilisation from the earliest settlements, via Ancient Greece, the Black Death & the Protestant Reformation, through to Auchwitz and Sept 11th.....

as you might imagine, it's a very long book, and it doesn't cover us in glory...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Zepology101 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zepology101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 12:05

Not recently, but in August and September, I read Mostly Harmlessand the Wind in the Willows...

Both somewhat strange...
plodder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 12:09
Yes. I'm reading George R.R. Martin's Ice And Fire series. A very good, gripping and bloody fantasy. It involves various families, a bit similar to the Houses of old England fighting for Kingdoms with Knights, servants and back-stabbing around every corner.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 13:40
1984 by Orwell.... it's everything I DON'T want the world to become, but fear that it will... magnificent work.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 17:52
James, if you want more fantasie, I strongly suggest that you try Stephan Donaldson's Thomas Covonant series of books, very impressive, even if there was a lot of idea borrowing from Tolkien in the first three, though not with the characters, who can end up being rather complex.

As for Tolkien, always prefered his work in The Silmarillion.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scapler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 19:47
After reading Ender's Game,  I had to read more from this guy, so I just finished this:

http://www.sciencefiction.dk/Bog100/speak.jpg

Excellent book!Thumbs Up

Edited by Scapler - November 26 2006 at 19:47
Bassists are deadly
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 01:54
I'm now on R.A. Salvatore's Exile.  The second book in The Dark Elf Trilogy.  Homeland (the first book) was excellent.

After this is Sojourn (the final book in the trilogy) and then it's onto The Icewind Dale Trilogy, also by R.A. Salvatore.

Lots of reading ahead of me!

Edited by Geck0 - December 02 2006 at 03:10
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 12:10
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

1984 by Orwell.... it's everything I DON'T want the world to become, but fear that it will... magnificent work.

I studied 1984 for 'O' level.... back in er, 1984...Clap
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 12:57
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I studied 1984 for 'O' level.... back in er, 1984...

Either of you read 'Down & Out In Paris & London'? My favorite of his books.

Edited by Jim Garten - November 27 2006 at 12:57

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 13:32
^^^ I have read:

Animal Farm
Down & Out
Road to Wigan Pier
Homage to Catalonia
Keep The Aspidistra Flying
Burmese Days
The Clergyman's Daughter

&

Selected Writings

answer your question??Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 01:04
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I studied 1984 for 'O' level.... back in er, 1984...

Either of you read 'Down & Out In Paris & London'? My favorite of his books.

I'm halfway through it Jim, but I put it down a while back and haven't picked it up again yet.  It is excellent though.  I also have On the Road to Wigan Pier in the same book.  It's a thick hardback with a lot of his stories and essays in.  Very good so far.

Edited by Geck0 - December 02 2006 at 03:10
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 00:18
La Casa Verde by Mario Vargas Llosa
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 01:02
The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 02:18
I've read a few good essays this semester:

The Futile Pursuit Of Happiness- Jon Gertner
The Wreck Of Time: Taking Our Century's Measure (which is a small piece of a larger work)- Annie Dillard
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 02:31

Faust Stretch out time 1970-1975

Very interesting: the author makes a fine analysis of the band's music.

There's a short moment which concerns us, i quote:
(it's about "The Faust tapes" album)

"The review of The Faust tapes at the Prog Archives goes too far in this direction, awarding it "three stars out of five" and describing it as "good but not essential"."

Edited by oliverstoned - December 10 2006 at 02:42
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 00:25
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 00:33
I'm now on the first book (The Crystal Shard) of the Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore (who kind of resembles Rico in a weird way!).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 320>