Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 23:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I need more Nektar on vinyl.........Love it!

Agree - this one is so ahead of its time, it's not funny. For me, they've never put out any weak albums. Even the latest, Time Machine, is excellent, despite the nay-sayers......so content to have caught their gig in NYC last year.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 13:10
Been spinning this album once a day since it arrived - probably be my fave of the year.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 13:26
Orphaned Land 2LP is waiting for me at the post office tomorow....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 13:59
Here is a nice view of the inner sleeve and the non-playing side 4 of the new Gong album

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 16:08
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Here is a nice view of the inner sleeve and the non-playing side 4 of the new Gong album

Pretty sweet.......Is it painted on or an etching?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 23:59
^ Just what I'd expect - veteran Daevid alone with half his age entourage....... ( which speaks for itself, really).
As popular as Allen and most his projects are, I still find him underrated as a guitarist, and well under appreciated as an artist in general. Childish approaches to some things just shows his, I guess, 'skewed' sense of humour, but he is/was/ will always be, a pioneer of kozmik music and social commentary.
Can't wait to get my hands on this latest vinyl offering.....
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 11:19
in my new house - my setup doesn't allow me to get my turntable close enough to the amp to plug it in.
this is probably a dumb question - but are RCA Jack extensions ok or do they introduce problems?
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 12:35
^ that would depend on how severe your case of audiophilia is Wink. I have never encountered this kind of a situation, because my stereo components are stacked in the a-la 1980s style, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if I had to use a longer cable, as long as it is of a decent quality

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 12:41
my ear isn't that insane - I just want to avoid a hum or buzz ..

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 13:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Pretty sweet.......Is it painted on or an etching?

It's an etching and stands out really well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 13:14
Playing the first in the trilogy have the other two also.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:57
^ Robot Woman - Part 1. Simply awesome. My fave of the trilogy, but love Fairy Tales more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

my ear isn't that insane - I just want to avoid a hum or buzz ..

It's really about sound quality and what you loose because the signal from your TT is so weak, so the longer the cable needed you start to suffer especially in the highs. Use cables with a very low capacitance and you should be fine, I would stay away from long lengths of regular inter connects with a high capacitance.

Hum as well as other noises may get picked up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 16:10
^ I don't know how these things work in the audio realm, but in the real world of automation Geek they use twisted pair shielded and grounded cables, which work normally even in fairly intense electromagnetic environment - up to 20 ft. of cable length, though. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ I don't know how these things work in the audio realm, but in the real world of automation Geek they use twisted pair shielded and grounded cables, which work normally even in fairly intense electromagnetic environment - up to 20 ft. of cable length, though. 

Phono cables have to be shielded or you will pick up hum, again because the signal from your cartridge is so tiny, it allows outside noises, distortion into the signal going to your amplifier. MC cartridges especially, since their output ranges 0.3mV to 0.7mV and a MM cartridge can run 4mV to 5mV...So for example the output of your CD player is probably in the range of 2 volts, so a main reason why the noise level will be minimal thru your cables, so you can use a cable with much higher capacitance.

It is best to go with shielded phono cables specific and with a lowest capacitance then the longer lengths should not be an issue.

At the end of the day, for all cables the shorter the better if you can.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 07:03
I bought the only extension cable I could find (6ft)
the cable from the turntable was about 2ft.

at first I did hear a hum but I just had to make sure the cables where they were connected - weren't near anything else - after that it was ok by my ears.

the thing that made me mad is that I had the Thorens sitting on my speaker, when I moved the speaker a tiny bit so that I could plug in the speaker wires, the whole thing fell over, smashing onto a table, almost busting a lamp and crushing the corner of my Clint Eastwood box set.
The heavy metal platter flew off, scraping the table.
Thank god I had the stylus arm taped down still from the move.

a lot of damn carnage for such a little movement.

(the turntable survived the ordeal)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 07:54
That movement probably made more hum and buzz Ouch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 08:04
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

That movement probably made more hum and buzz Ouch

it made a crash and a lot of f-bombs

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 08:25
^ Wow, you could make an avant-garde album, something like "Suite In One (Small) Movement For Crashing Thorens And Mad Vinylist", with Mary Halvorson's shop vac solo. 

Edited by Argonaught - December 04 2014 at 11:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 08:26
I just wont have anything to play it on

- SpongeBob Socrates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 312>