Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 01:35
Halo Season 1

I originally watched the first episode back when it first came out as it was available as a promotion on mainstream TV. I wasn't impressed. In those days I had a smaller 50in TV. I eventually got a bigger 65in TV and decided to go back and binge the whole first season in 2 sittings. With a more cinematic experience this is so much more enjoyable. I guess Showtime have thrown some serious money at this. Never been a video game player so the main criticism coming out that it's not staying true to the core of the Halo universe matters little to me. I enjoyed the characters, story and visually its very impressive. Natasha McElhone's character is a very convincing 'baddie' having no conscience about doing anything in the name of science. He daughter accuses her of trying to save humanity at the cost of losing her own. Pablo Schreiber is also amazingly good as 'Masterchief' (the army commander type not a cooking show contestant lol), both looking the part and showing some acting chops. In terms of it being video gamey then only the last episode seems like that and maybe more of a homage to the source material. Overall this is stand up sci-fi. Looking forward to getting stuck into Season 2 shortly.
9/10

Edited by richardh - February 24 2024 at 01:37
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2024 at 15:54
Annika Season 2

Nichola Walker's eponimous Norwegian detective balances being a single mum to her teenage daughter while investigating crimes around the coastal waters of Scotland. They take an interesting risk with this as she occasionally talks to the camera. That could be off putting but Walker does this with sufficient humour to pull it off. 7.5/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 05:28
Started on a couple of movies last night, but both were crap so sacked them off and instead started on a TV show called Mrs Davis. It's really hard to sum up but this is the spiel from IMDb: "Sister Simone partners with her ex-boyfriend Wiley on a globe-spanning journey to destroy Mrs. Davis, a powerful artificial intelligence." It's as mad as a box of frogs but quite compelling too. Who comes up with this stuff? No idea, but I'm glad there are people out there willing to make bonkers stuff like this.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 19:17
1923: A Yellowstone origin story.
This series continues in the style of the Yellowstone series but I found it relentlessly brutal and quite an uncomfortable watch even though it is well acted and produced. 7/10

At the other end of the spectrum is "The Gilded Age" a sumptuously presented show about the conflict between old money and new money in the late 19th century New York, an age of unpaved streets and silly hats. Excellently acted and written, it is very much in the style of "Downton Abbey", which is hardly surprising considering it is created and written by the same person who created "Downton Abbey".

Don't expect any gunfights or horse and carriage chases. 9/10

Edited by Hugh Manatee - February 27 2024 at 19:17
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 21:14
^ I may give the Yellowstone origin stories a go. The main series is finishing with Season 5 Part 2 scheduled for November this year. There is talk of a spin off not involving Costner who has other irons in the fire it seems.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 23:03
Yellowstone Seasons 1-5

Season 5 is only partly finished at 8 episodes with Paramount intending to put out the remaining episodes last year but it ended up being delayed due to the Hollywood writers and actors strike.
This show certainly vies with Succession in my mind exploring similar themes. Perhaps it goes a but darker with the attack on Beth in her office around Season 2 being a case in point. The superb ensemble cast includes Costner, Kelly Reilly, Luke Grimes and Wes Bentley. Overall this is 10/10 and capping it to 5 Seasons should maintain that (as was the case with Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad, other 5 star shows). Succession only did 4 seasons but 4 or 5 is usually the right number. The likes of GOT and Lost got dragged out which eventually diluted the quality as a result.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 18:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yellowstone Seasons 1-5

Season 5 is only partly finished at 8 episodes with Paramount intending to put out the remaining episodes last year but it ended up being delayed due to the Hollywood writers and actors strike.
This show certainly vies with Succession in my mind exploring similar themes. Perhaps it goes a but darker with the attack on Beth in her office around Season 2 being a case in point. The superb ensemble cast includes Costner, Kelly Reilly, Luke Grimes and Wes Bentley. Overall this is 10/10 and capping it to 5 Seasons should maintain that (as was the case with Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad, other 5 star shows). Succession only did 4 seasons but 4 or 5 is usually the right number. The likes of GOT and Lost got dragged out which eventually diluted the quality as a result.

Certainly there are similarities. The main difference for me is that "Succession" has a lot more sex and not so much violence whereas Yellowstone has a lot more violence and not so much sex.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 00:10
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yellowstone Seasons 1-5

Certainly there are similarities. The main difference for me is that "Succession" has a lot more sex and not so much violence whereas Yellowstone has a lot more violence and not so much sex.

I wasn't really going there as such, more the patriarchal family structure and the need to leave a legacy. Do the 'kids' get it and can they take on the family tradition. Costner's character is a lot less nasty than Cox's Logan Roy who is a complete c**t. Nevertherless the enduring theme is that they want to leave something of themselves behind and expect their children to help. Succession was always more ironic and perhaps ultimately less serious. You can laugh a lot with that one!
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 08:33
Finished Mrs Davis last night. It was mad from beginning to end and reminiscent of Preacher in it's oddity. Very well done though: acted and produced excellently 9/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 00:23
4 episodes into Halo Season 2. Still very strong with a bit more of the video game it seems as the fight is taken to the planet Reach. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 00:25
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Finished Mrs Davis last night. It was mad from beginning to end and reminiscent of Preacher in it's oddity. Very well done though: acted and produced excellently 9/10

never knew what to make of Preacher. Very strange indeed.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 23:42
The Killing.

Box set binge! This series ran for 4 years (2011 to 2014) and is long regarded as one of the best crime dramas of this century. Certainly strong writing and great acting in abundance with Joel Kinnaman's 'fake Eminem' ex undercover cop teaming up with Mireille Enos sometimes over zealous female detective to solve a particularly nasty murder of a young woman. The first story runs over 2 seasons before it concludes. Season 3 and 4 feature different cases that need solving but there is an overriding story thread that carries over from Season 3 into the final season. All is resolved allbeit a tad too neatly in the end but that's a small criticism of a show that it totally addictive and compelling. The cliche's are all present and correct but it is kind of reinventing the wheel with the depth of writing and respect afforded to it's main characters. 9/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 06:02
True Detective (Season 4)
(Jodie Foster, Kali Reis)
(9/10)

This show has extremely talented writers and they don't disappoint.
What can I say...just watch it !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 17:01
Sexy Beast 8 episodes
The back story to the cult film that starred Ray Winstone and Ben Kingsley, neither are in this fictional tale of London gangsters from the late seventies early eighties. Not many well known names, Stephen Moyer is heavily involved as both actor and director. Extremely well cast and written, I enjoyed it a lot. 8/10

Breathtaking 3 episodes
A short and very punchy dramatisation of how the NHS 'dealt' with the pandemic and the 3 lock downs that the UK were put into between March 2020 and January 2021. This would have been better if it hadn't felt then need to go for a political message in the final episode. Yep we know the government failed badly in so many ways but I would rather they had kept just to the human stories. 7/10

The Push 2 episodes
True crime story of a man accused of pushing his wife off the extinct volcano named 'Arthur's Seat' (located near Edinburgh) to her death a few years ago. This is mostly actual trial footage plus interviews with the victim's family and also with the barristers that repesented the accused and the prosection. Remarkable. 10/10

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 10:00
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I also watched that a few months back....bonkers indeed but entertaining and well done.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 19:11
Das Boot Season 4 2023
Feel a bit short changed by only 6 episodes. This is so good in depicting events surrounding the deployment of German U-boats in WWII (Churchill singled them out as the most important threat to the allied war effort). Sadly this may be the last season. In the end the message is clear , they are just pawns in the machinations of war. 9/10
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 20:00
I watched Seasons 1 and 2 of Resident Alien recently. I really enjoyed it. Great blending of drama, comedy, mystety, and sci-fi. Alan Tudyk is great as Harry the alien. Strong supporting cast.

Season 3 is in progress right now on SyFy. Smart move by the producers to get the first two seasons on Netflix to get a wider audience. 9 of 10 for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 17:21
^ Agreed. Glad to see there is a further season to look forward to.

Talking of shows that have migrated onto Netflix check out Loudermilk. Another excellent comedy drama.

Perhaps a bit left field by I am currently enjoying Ted, the TV series based on the films that were created and written by Seth McFarlane ( he also voices the animated teddy bear). Cleverly lampooning sexist/chauvinistic attitudes of the 90's while also being extremely funny albeit very rude at times.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2024 at 17:28
The Lazarus Project Season 2 2023 8 episodes 
Taking of 'bonkers' shows check out this time resetting/ travelling show from Sky. Mind bending and wildy entertaining. 8/10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 19:57
From Season 2 10 episodes.
Stephen King inspired horror (''aren't they all?'' I hear you say) as various families and groups find themselves trapped in a 'mini universe' with only some nasty creatures for company. It's clearly being delivered on a budget so don't expect great special effects like Stranger Things, this concentrates on trying to create a creeping tension but for the most part falls short. For me it works better as a Lost style mystery. Quite fun but could do with being scarier. 7/10

Edited by richardh - March 22 2024 at 19:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>