Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 05:58
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Given that this is so, I'm rather relaxed about whatever the remaining gang comes up with. There may be new or returning participants or not, but let's listen to music rather than worry too much about marketing and how to appeal to those who currently do not take part. By the way, with fewer participants it's less time consuming anyway.

I may have not been precise enough. The point is that quite a few of us, the remaining participants said that this two-stage voting procedure was too time-consuming and I still thinks so. Besides, you can't turn things around in one or two editions. It takes a little time and patience.

I have changed the rules. No two steps vote.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 06:14

After I myself and JD tried out some "personal theories" on how to bring people in again with very limited success, I don't have much confidence left in any advice regarding what will lead to more or less participants.

We have lost people for various reasons and the odd one may have dropped out because occasionally things were too complicated and time-consuming, but it seems quite clear now that going easier again won't bring back most of them. Life goes on and people go on to do different things. One reason may simply also be that many have exhausted their list of non-prog artists that are at the same time great and unknown enough that they'd like to present them here, and don't want to nominate their same favourites again and again. I'm always wondering these days what's left on my list, and have repeated a few artists even though I try to avoid that (I'm pretty determined to continue to take part though).

Given that this is so, I'm rather relaxed about whatever the remaining gang comes up with. There may be new or returning participants or not, but let's listen to music rather than worry too much about marketing and how to appeal to those who currently do not take part. By the way, with fewer participants it's less time consuming anyway.

I am glad to read this comment, because sometimes I wondered if it was just me who had almost exhausted the list of my favourite non-prog artists, and was often repeating the same artists.

But apart from the fact that it is undeniable that the most important function performed by these polls is to make each other aware of artists we did not know before, let's not lose sight of the less 'lofty' goal either: it is always nice to introduce almost unknown good songs by well-known artists...

For example still had a Springsteen live song to play and now, by changing the rules, I have included it!Wink
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 06:23
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Now, this is total confusion, Lorenzo! I have only today to find a song and I have no idea what this new concept is about . . 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 06:35

Now, this is total confusion, Lorenzo! I have only today to find a song and I have no idea what this new concept is about . . 

Mila, why the confusion?

We have to choose three songs:

1) Two live songs of any kind, even prog, that don't last long, maximum 10 minutes in total (if it's 11 minutes that's fine too, I'm not fussy)

2) One non-prog live song lasting less than 15 minutes.

Why do you say you only have time today? There is no deadline, as you come up with these songs you will enter them, we certainly have up to 7-10 days to find them.

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 07:04
^ 2 short songs and 1 longer song (3 in total)? But I want to have the opportunity to submit only 1 longer song instead of 2 short ones because that is easier to find and it is less time-consuming. Now you want us to do double the work? You don't make sense.

Edited by Mila-13 - November 13 2022 at 09:35
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 07:22

^ 2 short songs and 1 longer song (3 in total)? But I want to have the opportunity to submit only 1 longer song instead of 2 short ones because that is easier to find and it is less time-consuming. Now you want us to do double the work? You don't make sense.

In my experience, there is almost everything on youtube. If you have a song you like, you will almost certainly find it live on youtube.

So, I feel like I've proposed one of the polls where it's easier to find songs: 
- There is no theme
- There is no geographic or temporal indication
- There is no genre, you can choose songs of any kind! I intentionally extended short songs to prog (which aren't so short: up to 5 minutes! Consider that in the past mathman did a poll for non-prog songs under 3 minutes long!) Only for the long song I asked to choose it from non-prog songs.

So frankly, I feel like I really gave a wide range of choices. And you don't have to submit all the songs today, you have time all week.

But if you can't find the songs under 5 minutes long (I hope not!), then you can participate with the non - prog long song.

It seems strange to me not to find prog or non-prog songs performed in concert that are less than 5 minutes long (I have even extended the possibility to a fairly long one and a short one--even a 7-minute one is fine! as long as the other is 3-4 minutes long--do you only know of live songs longer than 10 minutes? I don't think so...)

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 09:06
^ You're losing track. Your initial intention was to limit listening time. Now you have more than doubled it.

Edited by Mila-13 - November 13 2022 at 09:33
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 09:15

^ You're losing track. Your initial intention was to limit listening time. Now you have more than doubled it.

Give the guy a break LOL, I kinda feel sorry for him (I admire how straightforward you are though LOL)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 09:40
There's also something to be said for letting others do their polls how they want to do them, and then everyone of us can do our polls how we like them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 09:43

There's also something to be said for letting others do their polls how they want to do them, and then everyone of us can do our polls how we like them.

that's true as well. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 10:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

that's true as well. 

Cristi! Are you coming back with us?

If for the other forumists choosing 3 live songs (about 20 minutes in total) is not too many, I confirm the updated rules.

If three songs are too many, I go back to my initial idea (without the two-steps vote): 2 non-prog live songs for a total of 10 minutes.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 10:32

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

that's true as well. 

Cristi! Are you coming back with us?

If for the other forumists choosing 3 live songs (about 20 minutes in total) is not too many, I confirm the updated rules.

If three songs are too many, I go back to my initial idea (without the two-steps vote): 2 non-prog live songs for a total of 10 minutes.

If I find some great live songs, maybe, if not, then just lurking I guess. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 13:40

One reason may simply also be that many have exhausted their list of non-prog artists that are at the same time great and unknown enough that they'd like to present them here, and don't want to nominate their same favourites again and again.

Yes, I've pretty much decided to give up contributing to interactive polls with the non-PA rule imposed. I find this rule especially problematic when combined with some other restriction, for example, that it contains organ, which is fairly uncommon in non-prog, although I actually could have supplied two tracks.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 14:27
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

One reason may simply also be that many have exhausted their list of non-prog artists that are at the same time great and unknown enough that they'd like to present them here, and don't want to nominate their same favourites again and again.

Yes, I've pretty much decided to give up contributing to interactive polls with the non-PA rule imposed. I find this rule especially problematic when combined with some other restriction, for example, that it contains organ, which is fairly uncommon in non-prog, although I actually could have supplied two tracks.

But this time the rules are:

- 2 prog or non-prog songs live! Maximum 10 minutes

- 1 non-prog song lasting less than 15 minutes

Come on, join us!

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 14:48
^ I didn't realise you had changed the rules when I wrote this. However, I was speaking generally in reply to what Lewian had written. But given that you are now accepting prog, I may join in, depending on what live tracks I can contribute.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2022 at 18:55
Girls and boys, does anyone want to open the next poll?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2022 at 10:35
Is there anybody out there?Wink
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2022 at 16:05
I am just still too busy to devote the kind of time I like to when joining in on these.  May be so for many, this time of year, especially.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2022 at 02:19
Well, you're right, Nickie.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2022 at 02:22
The Interactive polls have stopped.

I hope they have temporarily stopped.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>