Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 23:00
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, I'm listening to the Magnificent Moodies right now(right in the middle of it). Well, it doesn't really scream 60's for me like it does for you(Yesesis) but maybe that's because I usually associate the sixties with psychedelia and hippy kind of stuff which this is definitely not. 

Anyway, this doesn't really do a lot for me to be honest but it's not really bad. Just not what I'm used to I guess. It's sort of like white guys doing mo-town really which is why they chose their name. Unlike the later stuff this music sure fits their name. Maybe they should have changed their name after this? ;)

Yeah it doesn't even sound like the same band to me at all. To me it sounds like just a very generic 60's album. Really uninspired. But the next one..
Well, you can almost say it was a different band. Denny Lane was a kind of frontman of the first version and did a lot of songwriting, also in the second version both new members contribution to music were really huge. BTW have you heard their single "Boulevard De La Madeleine" that come quite soon after the first album? I have always really loved that song!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 23:06

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened Octave and it was much better than I remembered! I remembered it was much more modern sounding. Anyway it will not rise into level of their greatest albums, but to me into same level as "Every Good Boy" and "Seventh Sojourn".

Hey Yesesis, when you have started to like Moodies, have you already tried also Procol Harum? If not then recommended albums are Shine on Brightly (my fav), a Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel & Exotic Bird and Fruit.

Procol Harum? They sing that Pale song from the 60's I know. Good song but I always thought they were a one hit wonder. But yeah I guess I could maybe listen to something by them after I finish all these Moody Blues albums here lol.

So now off to listen to... Keys of the Kingdom. Uh oh. This is an album I've been warned not to listen to by a couple different people now. Well going in with lowest possible expectations here. I mean, how bad can it be?
I know youīre not serious, but still I think itīs sad many thinks about Procol that way. Also, I asked about it from one younger musiclover, who knew artists like Captain Beefheart and Tim Buckley and she said me "never heard". I hummed her the intro of "Whiter" and she of course said aaah I have heard that but didnīt know whoīs song it is. Itīs really sad when Procol is as great as Moodies and they both are not far away from the greatest stuff of Genesis & Yes (although both are much more easy listening stuff).

And...Procol has also that other "hat" (Homburg).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 19:06
I know A Whiter Shade of Pale is a great all time classic song. And I have seen the band mentioned on here a few times. But other than that I really know next to nothing about them, but I will plan to listen to some of those albums you mentioned right after I finish with these here.

Alright next up, Strange Times. Off to listen to it now.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 20:15
The best one yet! I can't believe how good that was.. every single song was awesomeeee!

Kidding. That was very iffy. Probably my least favorite of all of these so far. Some of the songs were pretty good, like 3, 5, 6, 11. But REALLY soft lol. Didn't get a song that was even close to energetic until 12. I kept wanting to like it, but no it just wasn't good I'm sorry.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 20:54
Did you listen to prelude yet? I liked that better than the first one. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 21:12

Oh come on lol. All these 'extra albums' will be neverending. Tomorrow night I'm going to listen to December, and then that will finish their whole discography. Then ok.. Tuesday night I'll listen to either Blue Jays or this Prelude(you can decide). And then Wednesday night I need to get on to Shine on Brightly like I promised Mortte.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 22:04

Oh come on lol. All these 'extra albums' will be neverending. Tomorrow night I'm going to listen to December, and then that will finish their whole discography. Then ok.. Tuesday night I'll listen to either Blue Jays or this Prelude(you can decide). And then Wednesday night I need to get on to Shine on Brightly like I promised Mortte.

No, I don't get to decide what you listen to. Lol. I can only make suggestions. No hurry just get to it when you get to it. Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 22:24
Alright bud, thanks for understanding. I will get to it eventually though.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:04

I know A Whiter Shade of Pale is a great all time classic song. And I have seen the band mentioned on here a few times. But other than that I really know next to nothing about them, but I will plan to listen to some of those albums you mentioned right after I finish with these here.

Alright next up, Strange Times. Off to listen to it now.
If you donīt like Shine On Brightly, then give Grand Hotel try. Grand Hotel is more seventies sounding, although Shine On is not typical sixties sounding (not as much echo as in many 1968 albums).
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:17
my personal favourite is their very first, I think just s/t.  Lots of great piano/organ ballads.  I don't think they ever equaled that.  I know most like Shine on Brightly for the side long suite but to me it is too bloated.  I did like several of the shorter pieces like the title track and Quite Rightly so.

Other Procol albums that I like (though they all have flaws) are Salty Dog, Home and Grand Hotel.  Of course, the Live version of Conquistador is great (which makes them a 2 hit wonder in NA) but I'm not a fan of the live album overall
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 09:39
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

my personal favourite is their very first, I think just s/t.  Lots of great piano/organ ballads.  I don't think they ever equaled that.  I know most like Shine on Brightly for the side long suite but to me it is too bloated.  I did like several of the shorter pieces like the title track and Quite Rightly so.

Other Procol albums that I like (though they all have flaws) are Salty Dog, Home and Grand Hotel.  Of course, the Live version of Conquistador is great (which makes them a 2 hit wonder in NA) but I'm not a fan of the live album overall
Hi Ken. The last I looked, about a week ago, this thread was about the Moody Blues. It now seems to have morphed into a Procol discussion. To me, PH's albums are so distinct from each other, that I have to be in the mood for a certain set of them. The debut and Shine On Brightly go well together but not with A Salty Dog, which to me, goes well only with Grand Hotel. Funny, huh? And Exotic Birds and Fruit goes well with Porcol's Ninth and no others. And Home only goes well with Broken Barracades...

I forgot where I was going with this post, but I'll think I'll listen to a couple of Procol albums to refresh my memory. Or not, but I'll enjoy them anyway.

Edited by SteveG - April 06 2020 at 09:40
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 11:55
It seems everyone's an expert on every artist except me lol. That's interesting. Anyway, so some are saying the debut is the best, and some are saying Shine on Brightly. But ultimately I will be the one who decides that lol. No I'm kidding. I'll get started on those albums at least by Wednesday. Looks like today I may be able to get 2 albums in, my cup runneth over lol.

Alright off now to listen to December and that will FINALLY finish the Moody Blues studio albums.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 12:52
Wow, I actually really enjoyed that. I can definitely see why they left off on that note. That was legitimately good, weakened a little in the last few songs but still overall quite good.

So ok, overall.. really good band obviously. My favorites were those 'Magnificent 7' albums(obviously) plus Long Distance Voyager, The Present, The Other Side of Life, and.. December!

So my plan now is to listen to this 'Prelude' tonight, then tomorrow night Blue Jays, then.. Wednesday night Shine On Brightly(and the debut Thursday night).

Edited by YESESIS - April 06 2020 at 12:54
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 13:31
You've certainly explored far more of The Moody Blues than I have (I have heard a few albums, but not in ages).

As for Procol Harum, the "In Held Twas in I" suite off Shine on Brightly is, I think, terrific, and is very important to me additionally from an early Progressive Rock perspective. For another interesting band to check out from the 60s if you haven;t already (and sorry if it's already been mentioned as I haven't read the thread), there is Family.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 14:51
Well I went ahead and listened to Prelude, and boy FlowerKC you were on the money with that one. That was great! I think I liked December so much largely because I was comparing it to their other post 80's albums. And then you here something like this lol. Really reminds you how good this band can be. Obviously I agree with you it's way better than that debut album. Man, thank you really for recommending that. A bunch of great MB stuff that I never would have otherwise heard. 'Long Summer Days' was totally kick butt and worth it just for that track alone. Whole thing was great though, so glad you recommended it to me. 

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You've certainly explored far more of The Moody Blues than I have (I have heard a few albums, but not in ages).
As for Procol Harum, the "In Held Twas in I" suite off Shine on Brightly is, I think, terrific, and is very important to me additionally from an early Progressive Rock perspective. For another interesting band to check out from the 60s if you haven;t already (and sorry if it's already been mentioned as I haven't read the thread), there is Family.

Family, ok. Thanks for the recommendation. When I get through these Procol Harum albums I'll go to that deal next lol. I try to listen to one new album a day(or at least average that). So good, lot's of new stuff for me now. Right on.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:30

Well I went ahead and listened to Prelude, and boy FlowerKC you were on the money with that one. That was great! I think I liked December so much largely because I was comparing it to their other post 80's albums. And then you here something like this lol. Really reminds you how good this band can be. Obviously I agree with you it's way better than that debut album. Man, thank you really for recommending that. A bunch of great MB stuff that I never would have otherwise heard. 'Long Summer Days' was totally kick butt and worth it just for that track alone. Whole thing was great though, so glad you recommended it to me. 

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Family, ok. Thanks for the recommendation. When I get through these Procol Harum albums I'll go to that deal next lol. I try to listen to one new album a day(or at least average that). So good, lot's of new stuff for me now. Right on.

If you do try Family, a word of warning, you might not like Roger Chapman’s vocals which to me rather sound like the love child of Peter Gabriel of Genesis, Roger Wootton of Comus, and Demis Roussos of Aphrodite's Child (Peter Gabriel being the most obvious to my ears).

Edited by Logan - April 06 2020 at 15:31
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:41
^Roger Chapman also kind of sounds like a goat. 

Family, Barclay James Harvest and Strawbs are all worthy bands to check out next. Also, the war of the worlds album(which doesn't really sound like MB but has Justin Hayward on it). ;) Also, the Alan Parsons Project and ELO.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:40
That's true. I was going to call it an unholy union of those three (having watched the Omen recently), but decided not to. Now that you mention a goat, that would have been really appropriate terminology.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 18:57
What lol. And I'm supposed to be excited about listening to this band?

Barclay James Harvest I'm already a fan of, they're great. And now.. the Alan Parsons Project I am excited about listening to because I certainly remember Games People Play and, of course, Eye in the Sky from the 80's. Really good stuff. But I did promise at least 1 Family album. So the plan now is to listen to those best like 3 or 4 Procol Harum albums, then 1 family album(obviously if I really like it then I'll listen to more), then onto Alan Parsons!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 19:38
Well, if you want to hear an album that sort of got the prog ball rolling before most then you could do a lot worse than the first Family album called "music from a doll's house." There's a lot of experimentation on it. You'll hear violins, saxophones, mellotron, cool musical interludes, bluesy jams, psychy guitar and yes a singer who sort of resembles a horny goat at times. Enjoy! Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 06 2020 at 19:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>