Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGene Simmons insults Radiohead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 16:40
^If I were to do poo in bags and sell them and make poo popular, it's still poo isn't it?Wink
Enjoy the turd all you want, poke it, throw it in someone's eye, but that turd cannot be turned into gold or polished for that matter.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

^If I were to do poo in bags and sell them and make poo popular, it's still poo isn't it?Wink
Enjoy the turd all you want, poke it, throw it in someone's eye, but that turd cannot be turned into gold or polished for that matter.

hahahhaha Clap

give me a Rolls Royce .. and I'll abuse the hell out of it like my old '78 Chevy Monza and blow the f**ker up racing a Corvette...

one man's poo is another's gold.. and vice versa... 

the thing is brother.. calling it poo here in a prog forum will make your opinion sound better.. but calling it so does not make it so.  Some here turn their noses up at groups like AC/DC and Kiss simply because.. it is simple.. or appeals to the lowest denominator... but what you call poo.. is exactly what the rest of the rock population might say of our  music here .. in large part due to the fans.. who are too egg-headed to appreciate anything less than 5 minutes or with lyrics you don't need to be on drugs.. or have a college degree to interpret LOLWink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 18:44
I hate Kiss because I find their music uninspired and Gene Simmons is one of the few humans on the planet Earth whom I truly want to die very very soon

edit: I would have said this if he insulted any other band as well, I just dislike the man intensely

Edited by heyitsthatguy - June 15 2008 at 18:47

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahhaha Clap

give me a Rolls Royce .. and I'll abuse the hell out of it like my old '78 Chevy Monza and blow the f**ker up racing a Corvette...

the thing is brother.. calling it poo here in a prog forum will make your opinion sound better.. but calling it so does not make it so.  Some here turn their noses up at groups like AC/DC and Kiss simply because.. it is simple.. or appeals to the lowest denominator... but what you call poo.. is exactly what the rest of the rock population might say of our  music here .. in large part due to the fans.. who are too egg-headed to appreciate anything less than 5 minutes or with lyrics you don't need to be on drugs.. or have a college degree to interpret LOLWink

AMEN Clap

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 12:12
It's true guys!  music is allowed to be fun!
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 14:58
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

You know guys, I'm with Gene on this one. I don't shell out anywhere from 25-100 bucks for a ticket to basically watch 5 guys stand around like I'm watching footage of them in the studio. It's why I'd kill for Bruce Springsteen, King's X, and Peter Gabriel tickets but didn't really get excited when Porcupine Tree came to town. PT's live DVD is one of the best live prog DVDs, but only because of the music. Visually, there is no reason for me to watch my TV screen while it's on. While Gene is certainly just doing this to be Gene, he's got a point and if you look at the more commercially successful prog/related groups (Rush, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, etc.), the majority of them put on a killer show. Now, commercial gain shouldn't be the reason for doing it, but perhaps if more artists brought an energy to their live shows prog would have been or would be bigger.

Right on!!! A stage show is especially critical to the success of a show! No stage show? Just buy the album, and save yourself some cash!
 It doesn't have to be all flash pots and blood. Iggy Pop put on the most compelling shows, all without the aid of special effects.
 It doesn't surprise me at all that a boring band, puts out a boring show.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

It's true guys!  music is allowed to be fun!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo..! Angry Geek Shocked
Valdez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 16:29
Kind of like being insulted by Don Rickles. 
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/album/sleepers-2024

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 17:06
also, I understand Gene's point, it just kind of seems like he made the comment more to stir up controversy than anything
one of the best shows I've seen was The Mars Volta, because they really got into the music...also Cedric climbed on sh*t which was great in its own right

JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 17:26
Kiss Sucks... But i have to admit, what He said was funny...
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 19:12
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

hahahhaha Clap

AMEN Clap

Double Amen ClapClap
P.S. If you're looking down your nose at people, please remember what sight they are enjoying Big%20smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 19:20

Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

Yeah baby, let's blow sh*t up!! Who gives a stuff about music quality? Wink

and you imply KISS is NOT about musical quality...

' I hope the four guys who make up the group, whose names don't matter, are putting money away for the future.  The NEAR future, because KISS won't be around long'

Seattle Daily Times

May 27, 1974

what is quality... but for making music that people enjoy brother....

Funny how easy it is to prove how bad the music is that is made by groups who've managed to maintain their popularity ( I know that being popular is a bad thing in the eyes of many here) over a few decades.
Imagine if someone mentioned that the simple fact that some folks are still discovering & liking Faust's debut even after 3 decades is taken as proof of its' quality. Yet, Kiss, AC/DC, Zep, Elvis, Moody Blues and other such "mainstream" acts only serve as examples of the hoi polloi's inablilty to see through their lack of talent.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 03:52
I just saw KISS playing  in my backyard (Goffertpark in Nijmegen). I realy think mister Simmons has a point here. The Kiss show was spectaculair! Lots of light effects, fireworks and ofcourse the outfits of the bandmembers. This makes the show. I also like their Alive records and so a great concert was born.

In progressive rock, bands have the tendency to just play their music on stage and nothing more. This, being very contrary to the starters of the progscene like Velved Underground and Pink Floyd and many others who were the first to use visual effects on stage. I think there is really space for some progression on stage! So, Gene sounds a bit harsh, but he does have a point.

Edited by kingfriso - June 17 2008 at 03:54
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 06:52

Enjoy the turd all you want, poke it, throw it in someone's eye,

Saaay, you're not a chimpanzee by any chance? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

boostermeijer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 09:38

Why does a piece of a Jim Steinman lyric pop into my head??

"Dad, you know I love you...but you've got a hell of a lot to learn about rock and roll"

Wasn't Kiss' biggest US hit called Rock And Roll All Nite??

They earned their place and so did Radiohead, it's just on different planets!

You can in fact visit them both!

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 16:34
He's dead right. I walked out halfway through a Radiohead gig because they were so boring and so poor.

I have no particular love for Kiss but I suspect I'd rather watch them than Radiohead any day.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 16:49
Gene Simmons is the only thing on Earth that Chuck Noris is afraid of, so in my book he can say whatever he wants.

In this case, he also happens to be right - give me a KISS concert over any of that Radiohead drivel.

Edited by Kotro - June 17 2008 at 16:49
Bigger on the inside.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 17:16
I heard an amusing story on the radio today about a Kiss concert. Someone asked Gene the strangest thing anyone ever threw on stage, and he said that one time someone put a naked baby on stage. They stopped playing to avoid permanently damaging its hearing, but the parent refused to take the baby back until they all signed the baby.

Now, do you think a Radiohead concert was ever that interesting? ;-)
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

It's true guys! music is allowed to be fun!

No more fun! Fun is for people who cannot think of anything important to do!

Edited by Henry Plainview - June 17 2008 at 17:20
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 17:24
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I heard an amusing story on the radio today about a Kiss concert. Someone asked Gene the strangest thing anyone ever threw on stage, and he said that one time someone put a naked baby on stage. They stopped playing to avoid permanently damaging its hearing, but the parent refused to take the baby back until they all signed the baby.

Now, do you think a Radiohead concert was ever that interesting? ;-)

Probably that baby was actually Thom Yorke... hence his always fearful face and whiny lyrics...Tongue

To be honest, OK Computer destroys any KISS album, and HARD.... but for a live performance, I guess I'd also choose seeing fire blood and costumes over this: 

Edited by The T - June 17 2008 at 19:21
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 18:22
Haha, that might explain a lot.

I wouldn't go that far, since I really am not a fan of Kiss...but Thom does look extremely unpleasant in that picture.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>