Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Mayhew on Trespass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:51
His drumming doesn't ruin the album
Trick of the lamb View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:50
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I know people who count it as the best Genesis release. Our dear pomodoro pal Jim from the Italian quarters wrote a fantastic 5 star review of it not too long ago.
It's been a while since I heard it last, but speaking as a drummer I don't recollect anything from it that would diminish the rest of the album though. Maybe I should give Genesis a spin one of these days...

A great review! He explained it perfectly. Just what I was trying to point out here.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:41
I think John Mayhew may have suffered the wrath of Tony Banks.....when actually he didn't do any worse than B.J. Wilson or any other drummer who is asked to play "Visions of Angels". I mean what on earth are you suppose to do with a song like that? You don't want to play during the verse....but when you do  ...what are you suppose to play? Play a straight beat or a straight beat with fills?...which was what Mayhew did. There was nothing wrong with the way Mayhew played "The Knife" unless he was the type of drummer who had technique but lacked in the area of power.....which Collins had force that only he controlled. He had power on "Return of the Giant Hogweed" Did you ever work with a drummer who could play a buzz roll, a round house, a jazz beat etc....but had no ability to give a "punch" to their playing or the band they were playing with? Maybe that was his deal or perhaps Banks was just being himself as usual. Or maybe when Rutherford attempted to accent bass notes ...he may have expected a tightness or a  "lock it in the pocket" sound within the songs of Trespass and maybe Mayhew was not giving him that option.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:28
I know people who count it as the best Genesis release. Our dear pomodoro pal Jim from the Italian quarters wrote a fantastic 5 star review of it not too long ago.
It's been a while since I heard it last, but speaking as a drummer I don't recollect anything from it that would diminish the rest of the album though. Maybe I should give Genesis a spin one of these days...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:20
I like the album and I like the drumming.

...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:19
Yep, Collins is probably a superior technician but the italicised does not a moving performance make (on its own)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:16
I agree with you. Collins is far better drummer then him, but I still think there is some exaggerated criticism over his drumming. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:11
I think he's a very fine drummer but unfortunately, like most of the early Genesis albums, the detail of each members individual contribution is hidden beneath the fog of some pretty dire production. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 07:09
It's hard being the shadow of Phil Collins.  His drumming didn't ruin the album for me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 06:59
Just wondering...
Am I the only guy here who thinks that Mayhew's drumming on Trespass is actually on par with the other members?
Basically every second review of Trespass says that his drumming ruined the album. I think that, considering the structure and arrangements of the songs themselves, he did a fine job. What do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345