Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:50
I'm just about quarter of my way through Hans Joahim Storich's "Kleine Weltgeschichte der Philosophie". I've read Jostein Gaarder's "Sophie's World" earlier, but this is one is a more serious (and non-fiction) description of the history of philosophy. Worth a thread or two in non-music related probably later on...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:37
^I haven't read that one, but I found Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy" quite amusing.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:39
the one where he says all the modern western philosophy is but a footnote to Plato's work? LOL gotta read that one.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:43
Thanks for bringing up Bertrand Russell, as I plan to get something by him, but don't know where to start.  I think I may grab a copy of the one you mention.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 02:38
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

the one where he says all the modern western philosophy is but a footnote to Plato's work? LOL gotta read that one.

Sounds familiar, Storich is a bit less direct (so far), but Plato is pretty much the 'root of all evil'. Wink
In more recent times Kant is very influential, but he summarized a lot of Plato and Plato followers material. a thread already? Big smile
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 02:40
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

^I haven't read that one, but I found Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy" quite amusing.
I had to read that for a Philosophy classLOL
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 10:54
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Sounds familiar, Storich is a bit less direct (so far), but Plato is pretty much the 'root of all evil'. Wink
In more recent times Kant is very influential, but he summarized a lot of Plato and Plato followers material. a thread already? Big smile

well actually the quote belongs to Alfred Whitehead, shame on me! Embarrassed
the connection i made was not aleatory as he was a contemporary of Bertrand Russel with whom he shared the strong interest in maths and with whom he co-wrote a book ("Principia Mathematica"). still his fame comes from that certain quote. myself i haven't read anything by him.

i don't think there's a need of a philosophy thread on the PA forums. Geek we are geeky and snobby enough with prog alone LOL

you did mention my two favourite philosophers - plato and kant. i'm strongly in love with epistemology (i don't know if that's the correct word in english) and they both debated on the possibility of knowledge and cognition - at least that's the side of their work that turns me on. my favourite plato dialogue is "Phaedrus".
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 10:57
I still have to strongly enter the philosophy dignity of this earth's art and history.

I'll probably start with Nietzsche.

any recommendations btw, andu?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 10:57
Currently, AMERICA (the Book).
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuncuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 11:06
Cuban writter Alejo Carpentier: "War of time". Impressive. One of the stories, "Journey to the seed" (I'm not sure if this is the title used in English version) has to be the most perfect story I've ever read. Overall, his use of language is beyond perfection.

Edited by cuncuna - January 04 2007 at 11:08
¡Beware of the Bee!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 11:10
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I still have to strongly enter the philosophy dignity of this earth's art and history.

I've yet to read it, but "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Nietzsche (not Jack Nietzsche!) could be a good place to start.  You can find it for free on the Internet, or you could get yourself a Romanian translation, I suspect (unless you can understand German).

Edited by Geck0 - January 04 2007 at 11:10
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 11:18
^I've read Thus Spake Zarathustra, but hardly understood anything in it. Confused Has that Zarathustra got anything to do with the Persian prophet?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 11:21
I've no idea, I've not read it. LOL

I do have it on my computer though, so one day I will read it.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 11:39

well i reccomend you to keep away from Nietzsche for a while and also i would suggest a slow and easy introduction with some of the books of Constantin NOICA.

Douăzeci şi şapte de trepte ale realului - this one is about the way philosophers have tried in history to come up with conceptual explanations of the world by using the famous "cathegories" (Plato, Aristotle, Kant, the modern science). it's short, easy readable, an enjoyable afternoon worth of reading.

Şase maladii ale spiritului contemporan  - this is also a short and synthetic survey on the european culture's ages (regarding arts, philosophy, religious thinking). he uses his own criteria to show a certain kind of evolution, which is both instructive and captivating.

De caelo  - this is an (again short and enjoyable) essay where he debates two contrasting types of thought: the one concerned with giving rational basis to the process of knowledge (plato, st. augustin, descartes, kant) and the one concerned giving conceptual basis to it's own vision of the world (aristotle, st. thomas). there's one thing that make me depressive when i think about this book - he wrote it when he was just a little older than me, why the hell can't i be that smart? CryLOL

Jurnal de idei  - you can browse through this posthumous release consisting of charming disparate thoughts that can get you acquainted with the philosophers' laboratory.

i'll have to praise him for his great clarity of expression and thought - it's so easy to follow and he makes you understand the way other philosophers think. also, he always puts his ideas in the context of the history of philosophy - thus reading his books is always instructive. however, keep away from his "heavier" books. they're still beyond my "powers", too. the ones i mentioned are easy to spot in libraries and in old-book shops, also.
if you agree on my proposals i'd be glad to exchange feedback with you. Smile

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuncuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 12:20
Im' useless regarding theoretical literature. From time to time, I try to focus on aspect of semiotics, but I found it to be unpleasant. this is highly irregular, off course, being, as I am, interested in artistic production.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I've yet to read it, but "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Nietzsche (not Jack Nietzsche!) could be a good place to start.  You can find it for free on the Internet, or you could get yourself a Romanian translation, I suspect (unless you can understand German).

I think there are romanian-translated philosophy in plenty forms, thanks.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 15:16

I still have to strongly enter the philosophy dignity of this earth's art and history.      [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif" align=middle> I'll probably start with Nietzsche. any recommendations btw, andu?

well i reccomend you to keep away from Nietzsche for a while and also i would suggest a slow and easy introduction with some of the books of Constantin NOICA.

Douăzeci şi şapte de trepte ale realului - this one is about the way philosophers have tried in history to come up with conceptual explanations of the world by using the famous "cathegories" (Plato, Aristotle, Kant, the modern science). it's short, easy readable, an enjoyable afternoon worth of reading.

Şase maladii ale spiritului contemporan  - this is also a short and synthetic survey on the european culture's ages (regarding arts, philosophy, religious thinking). he uses his own criteria to show a certain kind of evolution, which is both instructive and captivating.

De caelo  - this is an (again short and enjoyable) essay where he debates two contrasting types of thought: the one concerned with giving rational basis to the process of knowledge (plato, st. augustin, descartes, kant) and the one concerned giving conceptual basis to it's own vision of the world (aristotle, st. thomas). there's one thing that make me depressive when i think about this book - he wrote it when he was just a little older than me, why the hell can't i be that smart? [IMG]height=17 alt=Cry src="smileys/smiley19.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>[IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Jurnal de idei  - you can browse through this posthumous release consisting of charming disparate thoughts that can get you acquainted with the philosophers' laboratory.

i'll have to praise him for his great clarity of expression and thought - it's so easy to follow and he makes you understand the way other philosophers think. also, he always puts his ideas in the context of the history of philosophy - thus reading his books is always instructive. however, keep away from his "heavier" books. they're still beyond my "powers", too. the ones i mentioned are easy to spot in libraries and in old-book shops, also.

if you agree on my proposals i'd be glad to exchange feedback with you. [IMG]height=17 alt=Smile src="smileys/smiley1.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

okay, thanks.

I'll probably start on these much later, I still have to go through many reads and many tastes.

andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 15:46

okay, thanks.

I'll probably start on these much later, I still have to go through many reads and many tastes.

i know that feeling too, life is too short Ouch

anyway, keep up! Smile

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuncuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 16:07
mmm... my copy of "War of time" is not that cute as this one:

¡Beware of the Bee!

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 16:41

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

well actually the quote belongs to Alfred Whitehead, shame on me! Embarrassed
the connection i made was not aleatory as he was a contemporary of Bertrand Russel with whom he shared the strong interest in maths and with whom he co-wrote a book ("Principia Mathematica"). still his fame comes from that certain quote. myself i haven't read anything by him.

i don't think there's a need of a philosophy thread on the PA forums. Geek we are geeky and snobby enough with prog alone LOL

you did mention my two favourite philosophers - plato and kant. i'm strongly in love with epistemology (i don't know if that's the correct word in english) and they both debated on the possibility of knowledge and cognition - at least that's the side of their work that turns me on. my favourite plato dialogue is "Phaedrus".

I still have to read Phaedrus, but the name reminds me of that other fine couple of books, Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the art of motor cycle maintenance" and "Lila".

As far as geeky is concerned: we could start "PhilosophyArchives - the other PA" LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 320>