Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 503504505506507 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 00:29
Iggy Pop - "The Idiot"
The Birthday Party - "Prayers on Fire"
The Stooges - "1970: The Complete Fun House Sessions" disc 1
The Stooges - "Fun House"
Hot Dad - "Webs"
The Gotobeds - "Blood // Sugar // Secs // Traffic"
Sex Pistols - "Spunk"
Iggy Pop & James Williamson - "Kill City"
Josef K - "The Only Fun in Town"
Yes - "Close to the Edge"
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 03:14
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hey Sam! Right on, Man! That Symphony X album ( V-Mythology) is one of my beloved.
Really love the Keyboards by Pinella. I think he is a god among insects. He plays so beautifully on that album. What a great listen. ;) 
Yeah, really great keyboards. The vocals are some of the best I heard on a Metal album too, in my opinion. It made me think of how great DT could be with that singer Tongue

The Astroboy - Flow My Tears (While finishing the bio)
Spelljammer - Ancient of Days
Electric Orange - Volume 10 (I really... really need this Cool)
Ingranaggi Della Valle - In Hoc Signo (Third listen, I'm starting to get into it. Great album Clap Unfortunately the vinyl has one less song than the CD and it's a really cool instrumental from what I read. Well, at least I have this Tongue

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 05:29
More today. Day off.

Tangerine dream-- riding on the ray ( the blue years- disc 2 only.)
FW-- Theories of flight (disc 1&2)
David Bowie-- Blackstar
Linken Park-- Meteora
Eden House-- Timeflows
Delain-- Lunar prelude (EP)
FW-- The Spectre Within
FW-- No Exit
Arena-- Welcome To the stage. ( love the live performance of 'the healer'. Wrightston nails it. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 06:01
Just one today, not at work so not as much listening:

Heard it years ago but just caught up on an original with the latest CD reissue now, so some long overdue catch-up listening is on the menu!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 07:21
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Just one today, not at work so not as much listening:

Heard it years ago but just caught up on an original with the latest CD reissue now, so some long overdue catch-up listening is on the menu!

Nice album! I liked it. But that "Just one today, not at work so not as much listening" is the polar opposite of my case. LOL
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 07:52
^ Enjoy your work day, Michael! And don't get caught talkin' away to me on Facebook. Lol.

Sneaking one more in for the day.

A Chinese Firedrill-- Circles.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 10:48
Yesterday: 
Hopper/Dean/Tippett/Gallivan - Cruel But Fair
Quiet Sun - Mainstream Ermm
Isotope - Illusion Clap
Egg - Egg (Classic Thumbs Up)
Soft Machine - Jet-Propelled Photographs (Classic Thumbs Up)
Soft Machine - Seven Clap
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
ELP - Masters from the Vaults (DVD)
GG - Giant on the Box (DVD) Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 13:37
Hatfield and the North - The Rotters' Club. This is an album that I did not like at the first few listens, but started enjoying it immensly today. So much that I'm even considering if I don't happen to like it more than HatN's debut album. This is frigging fantastic! It has something that their first album lacked - the dynamics and variety. Wow! And I even like Richard Sinclair's sung parts, which did not appeal to me at first. The instrumental jams are awesome, top class Canterbury music, up there with Egg, Henry Cow or National Health.
German Oak - German Oak. This is quite a discovery to me. I read about this group a few times and Nico (Modrigue) once recommended it to me as a great example of jam-based, guitar-driven krautrock. I listened to it, but I even forgot it. Today, I discovered how great German Oak is. It sort of reminds me of Tago Mago-era Can, early Ash Ra Tempel, and maybe the first two albums from Tangerine Dream. The jamming is out of this world, while allusions to Hitler and the Third Reich just make the music seem powerful and majestic. There are even some Wagnerian touches in there! Plus, the album was recorded in a bunker, which supplies it with a very different type of resonance. Great!
Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht. Going to gradually listen to the whole discography of Klaus Schulze. This is obviously his first effort, soon after he sold his drums and bought a roomful of synths. And one is definitely able to detect that. It's just pure experimentation, that does not seem to have a destination. Fun, but nothing to admire really. I did enjoy it very much, though.
Klaus Schulze - Cyborg. This was much better! In fact, I love this album. I have heard it before, but only once or twice, which really proves how good albums need a few listens to be fully comprehended. What a journey this one was! This is such an improvement from Irrlicht - everything sounds in-place, well thought, and just organized, putting Klaus among the greats of classical electronic music, if you will. Love Cyborg!
Khan - Space Shanty. If I try to take a break from a) sophisticated beauties of the diminished chord in 23/8 time signature or b) complex RIO arrangements or c) lengthy krautrock jams or d) electronic workouts, and happen to want to listen to something ear-friendly, Space Shanty is something that has become somewhat of a holy grail in that respect. I absolutely love this album from the beggining to the end. Perfect mix of Caravanish songwriting and Canterburian passages.

This was my day! Smile A really good one, I might add!
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 22:12
Over the last few days:

Love And Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven.
Richard Pinhas - Events And Repetitions.
The Pop Group - Citizen Zombie.
Tangerine Dream - The Keep.
The Brilliant Green - Terra 2001.
Andy Summers - The Golden Wire.
Gang Of Four - Content.
Wire - Nocturnal Koreans.
Bailter Space - Thermos.
Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes.

Edited by King Only - July 20 2016 at 22:17
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 23:53
Sex Pistols - "Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols"
The Faith / Void - Split LP
The Birthday Party - "Prayers on Fire"
Iggy Pop - "The Idiot"
The Stooges - s/t
Mayhem - "Deathcrush"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 02:53
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

that "Just one today, not at work so not as much listening" is the polar opposite of my case. LOL

I get to listen to music at my desk through my Ipod in the office at work, so pretty much get through a stack of music during those hours, as well as on the drive in and out! So most days it's at least ten hours straight a day filled with music! Works out pretty well...although I might be getting a promotion to another part over the next few weeks, so who knows if I'll be able to enjoy my music there as well, or (more worryingly!) if the Prog Archives will be blocked on our work computers!

Good choices with that `German Oak' album, a bit of a brooding Krautrock favourite of mine. I've got an LP reissue of it, but wish I had the CD version, which is one of the rare examples of a disc with plenty of bonus tracks that are actually worth listening to! Highly recommended!

I am literally overdosing on Schulze's `Cyborg' lately, definitely my personal favourite Schulze album alongside `Blackdance'. So atmospheric and heavy, quite intimidating in many parts!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 03:06
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Good choices with that `German Oak' album, a bit of a brooding Krautrock favourite of mine. I've got an LP reissue of it, but wish I had the CD version, which is one of the rare examples of a disc with plenty of bonus tracks that are actually worth listening to! Highly recommended!

Yeah, I've listened to it with the bonus tracks (which apparently appear before the pieces from the original album) and the whole work still seemed incredibly consistent and even. Really such a great album!

As to Schulze, I've got Blackdance and maybe Timewind on my list for today. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 03:19
I think Irrlicht it's pretty good, considering it's a debut album.
I also listen to more music during the week than the weekend. I didn't listen to a single album last Sunday.
I listened to that Gila album once on Youtube and it seemed really good Thumbs Up

Yesterday:
Air - Moon Safari (First time I listened to anything by them and I'm pleasantly surprised. Very accessible music but with lots of depth... and vintage keyboards Approve)
Pendragon - Believe (First listen. So underrated)
Equations - Hightower (While reading its comic book with more attention. It always gets better Thumbs Up)
Can - Monster Movie (Great debut. It seems to me there was some kind of creative tension that was released on this album... a crazy relief. Does it make sense? Tongue)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 03:31
`Moon Safari' is good, it's just sometimes the kitsch elements of it can get a little grating! At the time, along with the debut Portishead album `Dummy', it kind of got picked up by the yuppie/dinner party crowd, and, like Portishead, they've never tried to make anything like it ever again.

But most of the Air albums are pretty good, Sam. You'll probably go nuts for `The Virgin Suicides' soundtrack too (which is the follow-up to `Moon Safari'), it's only a little frustrating that many of the tracks are barely little fragments or interludes. Most of the albums onwards mix indie-rock into the synth-pop, but they're always interesting. `10000 Hertz Legend' was hugely controversial when it came out, quite unlikable, but they've defiantly done their own thing ever since as opposed to offering a lazy remake of `Moon Safari' (which they probably should have done for the masses!), which I think was pretty brave of them. My personal favourite from them is `Pocket Symphony', very icy and fragile.

`Believe' is great, and not too long either. It was a bit of a shock at first, being quite song-based for a Pendragon album, but it's grown to be a very good disc from them. Barrett sounds freed and relieved to be moving away from the Neo-prog standard sound on that one!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 21 2016 at 03:46
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 03:38
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

As to Schulze, I've got Blackdance and maybe Timewind on my list for today. Smile

Between these 2 albums, don't forget the lesser-known but surprising Picture Music Wink

Edited by Modrigue - July 21 2016 at 03:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 03:50
^^ I never heard Portishead either (we are evaluating Geoff Barrow for PE, though). Thanks for the recommendations, I'll listen to these albums later. I did hear something recent when I first heard of them, maybe in 2008, but I didn't find it interesting to check them out. I guess it's a matter of good timing, when getting into some bands.

I was going to ignore it, but Uwe's review changed my mind. It seems like a Pendragon album for Neo Prog haters Tongue I asked your opinion about it on FB before, you can ignore it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 03:58
I'd actually start with the third Portishead album called, well, `Third'! Nice dark electronics mixed in there, as well as quite a surprising light Can-like Krautrock sound in a few fleeting spots!

Many years ago (in the pre-FB days) I recall writing to Nick Barrett and telling him how impressive I thought `Believe' was, and I think he was really happy to hear some praise for it. It was getting knocked around with three verses and a chorus of `the tracks are too short/there's not enough keyboards/it's too singer-songwriter based/there's not enough instrumental passages' etc etc. If anything, it was a nice crossover release before they went heavier in the knockout `Pure', and even more so on `Passion'.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 04:11
Sounds cool, I'll give it a try Thumbs Up

You did well. Sometimes the proggers' rage is enough for a band to call it quits. If you see the reviews of it, you notice the more positive reviews were written later on. I think it has plenty of interesting instrumental moments.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 04:23
It's good that Barrett took the chance...you should hear the next album `Pure', he sounds so full of confidence and powerful, completely reinvigorated! The opening track `Indigo' has (in my little opinion) one of the greatest lengthy guitar solos of all time (pretty much the majority of the second half of the piece! ), and easily Nick's standout moment as a guitarist, full of variety and avoiding the widdly-diddly wailing kind of sound. It pretty much floors me every time I hear it (which was just now again, because I'm playing the album right now! ).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 04:26
Y'know, I have soooo much respect for these forum Proggars.........sure, I can be an ass, but I'm just amazed at the amount of folks that listen to such awesome music that I thought was just 'for me'. Sad, that we're all so divided by 1000's of miles............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 503504505506507 511>