Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:30
... just be grateful ...

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:36
... are we running out of time? ...

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 17:51
Rivertree. Always putting things in proper perspective.   
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 18:49
^ True that--  you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 02:00
You guys are also forgetting we survived the great "CAPTCHA" war of mid 2018.

If we can make it through that, we can make it through anything!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 04:56
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I, for one, still like the site and will continue to use it every time I'm revisiting some glorious piece of music and wish to see what "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" prog reviewer said about it. We are lucky to have been blessed with some gifted writers over the years, and I will always love seeing what various peeps said about album X, as I revisit the album over drinks in the basement.

Me too and it’s also very helpful to read what some people love about particular albums, try and see it and appreciate them myself.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 05:04
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

If we can make it through that, we can make it through anything!

Word !

(I would like you folks contributing more and whining less)

Edited by Quinino - August 01 2019 at 05:07
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 06:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The wounds are still fresh......
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 06:58
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Bingo! Yes! If PA could develop that idea ... and especially extending to Indie artists developing their sound. What's needed specifically is PA sponsored through a site like IndieShuffle.

Another decline was: "I personally don't like flute sounds over guitar." Them's fightin' words!!

AND, that's where all admins would/could/should either lock the thread or remove it ... mostly it states that the person is not even listening to the music anyway ... not even close to a "progressive" listener or fan.

And this is also the part that hurts ... Guru Guru, or Incredible String Band, are not "progressive" compared to the cookie cutters in half of the subdivisions! AND THAT, IS NOT, the way to protect, and present what we consider "PROGRESSIVE MUSIC" ... 

Progressive is in ALL subdivisions, and has nothing to do with a flute or a guitar alone ... has to do with the development and content of the music and how it is presented. And, sadly, for me, is the book that is most offensive to the "progressive" music ... about the instruments ... EVERY SINGLE INSTRUMENT MENTIONED WAS USED EVERYWHERE ELSE ... except that some folks are into the "flowers you wear in your hair in SF", and a blue guitar is more important than all the other basses available ... like the most generic of all basses in someone like Pastorius' hands, or Glen Moore's ... the whole thing is an insult to the definition of the music, and something that will hurt in the end more than it will help ... no one gets into "progressive music" because of a huge monster synthesizer, and no one gets into "progressive music" because the guitar looks like your limp ___ ... and many of the "mod's" here not standing up for the music, was crazy and hurtful. Any new kid trying to get into it, will look at what is in his nearest music shop, and give up ... why bother ... you can't find nothing to do it with ... AND THAT IS NOT WHAT PROGRESSIVE MUSIC IS ABOUT!

Our conceptualization of it all has to improve ... I know I write these things that come off as weird, but they are a huge plea ... that some of the things that we do are not helpful to a dialogue of "progressive" and instead, many folks prefer to say that Mosh is screwed up and drunk (he has not done drink or drugs for 35 years since a RReagan comment ... which is more than true today!).

I am not a psychic (gawd ... folks here would hate me even more!!! by disclosing the color of their underwear!) ... and I don't do Crystal Balls ... but honestly ... a little more care and attention to how we look at Progressive Music and what it ALL means, instead of just one's favorite 5 bands ... would really help ... like telling ALL ADMINS that they should not vote on top polls and keep the opinions more OPEN to other bands and ideas of progressive music ... weirdest thing is seeing yet another ADMIN spend his time defending a GENESIS or YES song, and trash the rest of their complete catalog ... that is not music appreciation, or a definition of a good ADMIN ... you don't like Wagner because of an opera in the midst of 15 ... you don't like Beethoven because of one section of the 9th ... you don't like Boldpuckymeritorium because of its hit song and the rest of their work is not even considered. YOU EITHER LIKE THE ARTIST, OR IT IS NOT ONE OF YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

It's like asking me which TD, Vangelis, or MO, album is my favorite ... I can't answer that question, because for me it is not about the album ... it's the fact that the artist is so creative and enjoyable and has been for so many years ... to me that's an artist ... not just a pop song, that PA thinks belongs in the top ten ... the worst example of it all is people voting for CTTE and hating the rest of YES ... that is just bad. AND EVEN WORSE for PA and PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, which has no future without new composers and other folks working it!

Music never stopped after Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky, Beatles, Miles and who ever else ... but we seem to be LOCKED into the past ... and way too hard! THIS is the area I would love to see PA get better on, but they are mostly kids smoking their first joint (couldn't help it!) and have no idea what THE DOORS OF PERCEPTION OF PROGRESSIVE MUSIC is all about ... to them it's just another song ... just like the chair. The point disappeared after that moment!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:01

Edited by Jaketejas - August 01 2019 at 15:41
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The way I remember it, 2008 was the start of the major fights

and quite hilarious to think that some are still pissed-off after 10 years...une joyeuse bande d'attardés de 50 ans avec la belle maturité d'un kid de 12 ans, si tu veux mon avis.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 15:42
My bad!  I was getting a bit carried away there.  Confused
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:01
^ not directed towards you I suspect LOL
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

and quite hilarious to think that some are still pissed-off after 10 years...une joyeuse bande d'attardés de 50 ans avec la belle maturité d'un kid de 12 ans, si tu veux mon avis.

pissed off...  no way man.   Trust me brother.. I have a smile on my face, a big old stiffie, and a cold beer about to be inhaled. 

and the best part... today was my last day in a field that I loved even as it tried many times unsuccessfully to kill me.  So life is good..

but that doesn't change the fact that M@X is a motherf**ker an a****le and a piece of sh*t.  No anger LOL  He never did anything to me, however he f**k over some people I really liked and respected, and has in large part ruined what was once a great site.  One that I am heavily invested in for I gave much of myself and my time to help build it. So in that .. yeah it is a bit personal.. but I save getting pissed off for important things.  Not pieces of amoebic dysentery scum! Hah!! LOLBeer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:04
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:12

oh no man..  2006..  it was later it started getting nasty but early on it was them against us. Usually unpopular additions.. Iron Maiden anyone.. where the forum would go apesh*t and start hurling insults and claims of ruining the site. 

the funny thing was.. the forum grew up.. the forum itself more accepting but in return the collab zone and relations between some of teh collabs got progressiely worse until it culiminated in the murder death kill of one paritcular addition that was pure gore man..  I've blown some people away before.. but never like that. Mainly for never have been attacked like that. Brutal .and the best part.. for all the bloodshed about that particular addition..  not a peep out of the forum.

in fact.. got multiple PM's from members here thanking me for the addition..  saying my bio..and my reviews helped them look at that band differently and in a new light.  For that.. it was in a funny way worth the price of what that addition cost.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:17
I've got popcorn now and am enjoying this.  Iron Maiden was a huge influence on my local scene.  Which band?  Which band? 

I think this moment is very cathartic.  What a great topic for PA!

You see?  PA has to keep going, especially for folks like Micky who have sacrificed much time and effort into it.

I've just received word that the disco version of what was originally prog has been accepted by 2 bloggers.  Frosty mug!

Edited by Jaketejas - August 01 2019 at 17:29
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 18:52
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

LOL Svetonio is currently spamming the Steve Hoffman forum with youtube links.

Edit; I've forgotten how to reply, obviously. This was meant to be a in response to Dark Elf's post.

He is at SHF as you say, we have "shared" a few posts together. LOL
He hangs out in the prog threads there......
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 19:44

The future of anything? Better unknown to me. I can hope for the best, at best (for the things I care about like PA).

Cheers. Beer

Edited by Odvin Draoi - August 01 2019 at 19:46
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 19:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ not directed towards you I suspect LOL

pissed off...  no way man. Trust me brother.. I have a smile on my face, a big old stiffie, and a cold beer about to be inhaled. 

and the best part... today was my last day in a field that I loved even as it tried many times unsuccessfully to kill me.  So life is good..

but that doesn't change the fact that M@X is a motherf**ker an a****le and a piece of sh*t.  No anger LOL  He never did anything to me, however he f**k over some people I really liked and respected, and has in large part ruined what was once a great site.  One that I am heavily invested in for I gave much of myself and my time to help build it. So in that .. yeah it is a bit personal.. but I save getting pissed off for important things.  Not pieces of amoebic dysentery scum! Hah!! LOLBeer

Good to hear, Micky.

It's quite obvious that this place is very important to you and yeah, I sometimes have the impression that you're taking it too much to heart. Look, I have only a vague idea of what happened in the collab zone during those years and you surely have your reasons to take it personal but honestly, I don't care since petty wars bores me to tears.

My views about PA are very different from yours and the reason I've never contributed much here is simple: I speak and think in French most of the time. Sgt. Tony R was always cracking me up when he was yelling at newbies, telling them to CON-TRI-BU-TE!!! , as if participation was not enough.

Cheers, man and keep playing them...Loud!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 22:18
@Jake.. thanks yes a lot of people did invest huge and long terms, years man, time into this site and though I suppose there was some ego involved, we are but human of course, it was done for the right reasons. We love the music and to be blunt, for most they didn't need this site, it was for the next men up.. thus the forum always was a sideshow.. entertaining for sure.. but always second fiddle to the database

and you have to wait for the movie for all the gory details. LOL 

It is sort of cathartic in a way I suppose.  This site lives.. and will die at the whim of a ...  bah.. been there and said that.  As I said earlier..  peace, love, chicks allergic to razors and good dope and hitting us with those positive waves Moriarty ..isn't going to save the site WHEN (not if) the owner gets tired of it or isn't making enough to make it worth the trouble for him...and insists on a ridiculous price for the site because it isn't more than a money making scheme for him so just shuts it down.  Anyhow... 

Good to hear, Micky.

It's quite obvious that this place is very important to you and yeah, I sometimes have the impression that you're taking it too much to heart. Look, I have only a vague idea of what happened in the collab zone during those years and you surely have your reasons to take it personal but honestly, I don't care since petty wars bores me to tears.

My views about PA are very different from yours and the reason I've never contributed much here is simple: I speak and think in French most of the time. Sgt. Tony R was always cracking me up when he was yelling at newbies, telling them to CON-TRI-BU-TE!!! , as if participation was not enough.

Cheers, man and keep playing them...Loud!

Hell yeah man. You are right.. and wrong. Yes the site is very important to me. We did invest a lot of time in it and I know not just me, but all of us are and should be quite proud of what we built here. Even more than that. .for to be honest.. prog is merely one of the forms of music I like.  It is the people I've met and gotten to know over the 15 years I've been here..  friends.. not just virtual friends.. but real friends. Good case in point. One of the bands we added.. Raff and I not only became huge fans.. but we became close friends. When they come to DC they look us up.. and we go out and paint the Old Town absolutely blood red hahah.. they invited us up to NYC to birthdays.. even to their wedding.. sh*t.. that was cool.. but they went over and above that.. . treated us like family.  Invited to rehearsal dinner..  honored place at the reception.  I mean wow man..  

then there is Raff and that whole story.. all because of this f**king site. So yeah man.. to say it is importantto me is a vast understatement.  But where you are wrong is taking this site too seriously. Dude.. those days are a decade past. I've been in retirement for almost 10 years.. (wow.. time flies).. the site really is on autopilot.  No one is really in charge.. no real chance of re-energizing the site or giving it a kick in the ass.. so I just enjoy it and troll it in my own unique style.  Part of why I quit my job and started the countdown to an early retirement is the stress man.. I kid not about how f**king dangerous that job was and how many times I've come to being f**king killed. Taking this site seriously? sh*t...  I had real life to worry about. .this site has been nothing but a destresser and a relief valve. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>