FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg and the younger generation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 12:16
^ I've never heard of any of them or anything from them so I think I am one of the fortunate ones.
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I think the only solution is to have everybody stop talking about what prog is or is not. If you don't like the way things are here, nobody is forcing you to come anymore. ;-)

Yes but this site says it is "Your Ultimate Prog Rock Resource" and a lot of people get their idea of "what (P)rog is and what it is not" from this resource. Don't you feel this site has a moral obligation not to spread lies and misinformation (whether or not it originates with them) and let "True Prog" shine? This site was developed to promote "Prog" music and for a lot of reasons it does not. When I first came to this site the "adopt a genre" was very limited and I learned a lot about actual "Prog" even more than I already knew. Now it is so cluttered, for what? Popularity? How un-Prog like! This site should be a place for spreading the word about "Prog" and all its glory! Not hiding under a blanket of non related music. If Genesis and Yes are the only "Prog" bands (once again see post above) you can mention we need this place to be cleaned of the clutter!

Choice:

Step up and either clearly define "Prog" and non "Prog" or get rid of "adopt a genre" all together

or

Continue seeking popularity and keep on forsaking true "Prog" to the cluttered basement of the archives.

And notice the word "archives" it means preserving the one and only time period of the "Progressive Rock" movement for all to share in the rich history and the unique splendor of the time.

So all true "Prog" fans should be voting for the first choice and save the precious inheritance of "Prog".
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Katy Perry, Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Metro Station, Estelle, the Plies, Sugarland, Shwayze, Secondhand Serenade, V.I.C. ...
Without google-cheating, please tell me what these have in common.

I don't like them. Tongue

Let me play the kill-joy (looked the word up) here: Please, can you guys stop arguing about what is prog and what is not in really EVERY thread in which newer bands are mentioned? Those "I am right! - No I am!"-discussions kill the joy here. How can we have a thread about prog among today's youth and two pages later get arguing what prog is and what not? If you want to, please open a pinned thread for it to fill twenty sites every day with this problem and do not use any discussion to show you, you and yes, YOU! know what prog exactly is. After all, this site is for fun and not for nuisance.
Whoever feels addressed - it's your own fault.

Err.. where were we, I've somehow lost the thread..
popeyethecat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 09:47
ARGH prog and the younger generation...my experience hasn't been good so far! I'm 17 now, and have been into prog not ALL that long, but have liked certain bands for a fairly long time. None of my friends like it. NONE. They all think I'm weird.  Some people my age don't even know what the Hell prog is (of course what it truly is is an ongoing debate, but what I mean is, they haven't heard of it before).

So going to a few gigs I thought I'd meet so like-minded people! But NO. I asked other people at the Mars Volta show I went to if they liked other prog bands. Everyone I asked said no. What is this?! And at an Opeth gig, I found a few teens who claimed to like prog. However, the mention of King Crimson was lost on them. What do I do? I come here, I suppose, to feel a little more normal.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 13:01
Don't worry young guy you're normal but there are so many people being garrulous about music(but often
pointless),always looking for dancing or overtly optimistic songs.It's too easy,I often say one has to deserve music:I really suffered from listening to In the court of the crimson king but I tried and became a
King Crimson addict.I'm far from being an extremist(I still like Led Zep,Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Beatles's psychedelic stuff)but I think that prog is for true music lovers.If you come to a Magma concert I'm sure you will find like minded persons.Keep on proggin'!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 14:03
Originally posted by fusionfreak fusionfreak wrote:

Don't worry young guy you're normal but there are so many people being garrulous about music(but often
pointless),always looking for dancing or overtly optimistic songs.It's too easy,I often say one has to deserve music:I really suffered from listening to In the court of the crimson king but I tried and became a
King Crimson addict.I'm far from being an extremist(I still like Led Zep,Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Beatles's psychedelic stuff)but I think that prog is for true music lovers.If you come to a Magma concert I'm sure you will find like minded persons.Keep on proggin'!

It may surprise you, but I am not a "young guy", I am in fact a young girl. Yes, a teenage girl who loves prog. See why I don't feel all that normal? Embarrassed

I'm not an extremist either, people tell me I have broad taste (though not always meant particularly nicely!). I agree about deserving it. Some of my favourite things now I've had to really persevere with. I listened to In the Court several times thinking "hmm yeah Schizoid Man!!! er...the rest goes like what?!", but it eventually clicked, thankfully :)

Having bumped into a (or as they said, "the") Yes tribute act in an airport, I think when I do eventually go to one of their concerts, when they play a bit closer to where I live, I should find some like-minded people there! They will, of course, be at least twice my age LOL
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 16:54
Katy Perry, Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Metro Station, Estelle, the Plies, Sugarland, Shwayze, Secondhand Serenade, V.I.C. ...
Without google-cheating, please tell me what these have in common.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

^ I've never heard of any of them or anything from them so I think I am one of the fortunate ones.

These are all acts that have a song in Billboard's top 40 singles chart. NOW do you "young 'uns" feel better about most of your friends not knowing less commercially successful bands ?

Get over it ... it is not a problem unless your ego somehow needs to be boosted by your peer group loving all the same things you do. And if that's what you need, or if you're so insecure in your musical taste, well, again GET OVER IT.
In the early 80s I listened to Gary Numan. In my small village (Pop. 1500), no one else did, and only 2-3 knew him. More than a few knew the song "Cars", but had no clue who sang it ? Who cares ?

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

I think the only solution is to have everybody stop talking about what prog is or is not. If you don't like the way things are here, nobody is forcing you to come anymore. ;-)

Yes but this site says it is "Your Ultimate Prog Rock Resource" and a lot of people get their idea of "what (P)rog is and what it is not" from this resource. Don't you feel this site has a moral obligation not to spread lies and misinformation (whether or not it originates with them) and let "True Prog" shine? This site was developed to promote "Prog" music and for a lot of reasons it does not. When I first came to this site the "adopt a genre" was very limited and I learned a lot about actual "Prog" even more than I already knew. Now it is so cluttered, for what? Popularity? How un-Prog like! This site should be a place for spreading the word about "Prog" and all its glory! Not hiding under a blanket of non related music. If Genesis and Yes are the only "Prog" bands (once again see post above) you can mention we need this place to be cleaned of the clutter!

Choice:

Step up and either clearly define "Prog" and non "Prog" or get rid of "adopt a genre" all together

or

Continue seeking popularity and keep on forsaking true "Prog" to the cluttered basement of the archives.

And notice the word "archives" it means preserving the one and only time period of the "Progressive Rock" movement for all to share in the rich history and the unique splendor of the time.

So all true "Prog" fans should be voting for the first choice and save the precious inheritance of "Prog".

This is not a zero sum game. Sleepytime Gorrilla Museum do not "hurt" Yes and vice versa. Fans of each can go into their respective threads and never even have to talk to each other!

P.S. If you want to be taken seriously, using such ridiculous language does not help. When you say something like "a moral obligation not to spread lies and misinformation (whether or not it originates with them) and let "True Prog" shine", you sound like a religious zealout angrily preaching on the television.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 02:08

Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

Choice:

or

This is not a zero sum game. Sleepytime Gorrilla Museum do not "hurt" Yes and vice versa. Fans of each can go into their respective threads and never even have to talk to each other!

P.S. If you want to be taken seriously, using such ridiculous language does not help. When you say something like "a moral obligation not to spread lies and misinformation (whether or not it originates with them) and let "True Prog" shine", you sound like a religious zealout angrily preaching on the television.

oh jeez, not this again. Turbo facepalm for prog definition

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
........................../...............................................”:,
......................./......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
............../.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 07:20
If you're going to resort to memes, at least use a real picture instead of that ACSII art crap. :P
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 12:57
When I was 14 and 15 I knew about Yes, King Crimson, John McLaughlin, and other prog and prog related artists. As did many of my fellow peers. To this day I know the same is true if not more so as I work at a rock and roll camp and high schools and talk to kids about music. Plenty of them have Dream Theater shirts, the Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, and other great bands that aren't necessarily prog. Its pretty easy for people to find music now that its basically anywhere you could think of.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 01:57
Originally posted by popeyethecat popeyethecat wrote:

It may surprise you, but I am not a "young guy", I am in fact a young girl. Yes, a teenage girl who loves prog. See why I don't feel all that normal? Embarrassed

I'm not an extremist either, people tell me I have broad taste (though not always meant particularly nicely!). I agree about deserving it. Some of my favourite things now I've had to really persevere with. I listened to In the Court several times thinking "hmm yeah Schizoid Man!!! er...the rest goes like what?!", but it eventually clicked, thankfully :)

Having bumped into a (or as they said, "the") Yes tribute act in an airport, I think when I do eventually go to one of their concerts, when they play a bit closer to where I live, I should find some like-minded people there! They will, of course, be at least twice my age LOL

Hang in there, prog is something that you can appreciate all by yourself and anyone you meet along the way who enjoys the same music you do is a bonus, even if they are twice your age Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 05:46
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

Hang in there, prog is something that you can appreciate all by yourself and anyone you meet along the way who enjoys the same music you do is a bonus, even if they are twice your age Smile

True true. I SHALL find friends, damn it!
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 16:23

or die alone lol (just kidding). If you want i can be your friend o:)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 17:30
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

You guys do realize that you can be friends with people for reasons other than shared music taste, right...?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 10:17

You guys do realize that you can be friends with people for reasons other than shared music taste, right...?

Of course! I'm not being entirely serious. But my age group is rubbish.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 12:17

you do realize that i was kidding right? RIGHT? Tongue
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 20:05

you do realize that i was kidding right? RIGHT? Tongue

Hey, don't kid Kids, O.K. . LOL
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 14:27
I'm a teen ager and my best friends listen to prog.

Tipicreeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:45

I think I understand where the OP is coming from but, I don’t think that is a youth issue. 

I feel that there was never a tremendous amount of people ever interested in progressive music.  It has always required a taste.  I find that the people that I come in contact with that enjoy progressive music are people that are generally bored with mainstream music and its lack of inspiration and diversity. 

Coming from an engineering background, I have come to know many designers and educated types that just love Prog, including myself.  This is not to say that one must be educated but, more so have the natural desire to seek out something more. 

There are many people that are into Britney.  That’s OK but it makes my mind numb.

Let’s face it guys, we Progressive Heads are a minority in the world.  We always have been.  Radio goes where the money is, even though most of it is utter crap.

-David
As we try and consider,
We receive all we venture to give
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>