Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 2012 NFL thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 63>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 22:09
Yeah don't like the Giants pick at all. Pass on Glenn and Fleener? Me thinks TB shocked them and they panicked. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 22:31
Hmmm yeah I'm usually supportive of the Giants picks, or give botd, but I gotta call shenanigans on this one.
Tight End is certainly an urgent need but there were still good o linemen available...can't believe they passed up.
Especially for a back...just not a good move IMO.

They get good quality lower rounds though. I just hope they fix the o line needs.

Agreed, the Eagles and Cowboys made great picks. RG3 isn't so much the ? in my mind but if they can fix the things around him.

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:25

All the entertainment was sucked out of the draft when they spread it across 4 days.  Another example of GODell whiping his ass on the game.  Hour after hour of tedium between your teams picks wasn't enough for him.  No, had to make everyone wait day after day now.  Sucks all the life out of what used to be a condensed and somewhat interesting the weekend.

As for the Steelers first round pick: some o-lineman I've never heard of because... well, he's an o-lineman and I don't watch college ball.

Time always wins.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:42
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Hmmm yeah I'm usually supportive of the Giants picks, or give botd, but I gotta call shenanigans on this one.
Tight End is certainly an urgent need but there were still good o linemen available...can't believe they passed up.
Especially for a back...just not a good move IMO.

They get good quality lower rounds though. I just hope they fix the o line needs.

Agreed, the Eagles and Cowboys made great picks. RG3 isn't so much the ? in my mind but if they can fix the things around him.

I don't think the Skins are in that bad of a position with supporting cast. They have a good defense. Two nice edge rushers, Cofield I like as NT, Fletcher still plays like an absolute beast in the middle. The secondary needs work, but I think he's going to a better situation than people like Luck or Bradford did. They have one of the better TEs in the league with Davis, a bunch of number 2 receivers which isn't bad. I don't know. He could step in and make them good enough to beat some playoffs teams I think.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:44
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

All the entertainment was sucked out of the draft when they spread it across 4 days.  Another example of GODell whiping his ass on the game.  Hour after hour of tedium between your teams picks wasn't enough for him.  No, had to make everyone wait day after day now.  Sucks all the life out of what used to be a condensed and somewhat interesting the weekend.

As for the Steelers first round pick: some o-lineman I've never heard of because... well, he's an o-lineman and I don't watch college ball.

You've never heard of DeCastro? He's very good, especially where the Steelers got him. He's better than overrated Pouncy.

Like the format or not, this first round wasn't boring at all.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:53
Exciting but at the same time freaking BOOOOOOORING!!! The picks were pretty much a shoe in, no real surprises anywhere...other than probably Dallas going after Claiborne from LSU, probably one of the best def backs around.

But I am sure he will wish he had gone elsewhere once he meets "the owner".....what a krappy team...America's team..yea right
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 09:13
How can a first round with so many trades have shoe-in picks? I can think of a lot of surprises: Brown, Seattle, Giants, Bucs, 49ers. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 09:14
The Lions first two draft picks from 2011 were both arrested in the offseason for marijuana possession, and this year's 1st round draft pick's last name easily translated into the nickname of Reefer.  Wacko

Edited by rushfan4 - April 27 2012 at 09:14
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:50
I was really hoping the Ravens would select LB Dont'a Hightower in the 1st round but the Pats beat them to it after trading with the Broncos.We need LB's,offensive linemen and have to shore up our secondary.

I wasn't happy that we traded our first round pick to the Vikes for a 2nd and 4th.

Edited by TheProgtologist - April 27 2012 at 11:53

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:36
^Given the board at that time and the Raven's needs, I think it made sense. I think Glenn would have made sense for them at that point, but obviously they disagree with me. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:52
Well I can't vouch for you guys but I never really cared for the draft...I just checked Wiki afterwards.
Maybe part is I only know the "big" college names so I can't be like "oooooh damn G men picked up that guard from Central NW State" or "That obscure TE from Ontario College was a prime choice"LOL

I actually find the draft more exciting now because frankly, the first round is all that excites me.

Anywho, yeah Pat, Griffin is in a better spot then Bradford or Luck certainly. Not too high on the Skins but they have enough I guess.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 18:04
^Agree..... Again....its boring watching all the hoopla, post an excel sheet with the choices and call it done.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 02:26
I don't know the guys...but G men did pick up a WR and CB so they at least got the correct positions.

the wideout seems pretty  good according to Wiki

Am a bit upset at the lack of O line. I think they really should've taken Johnathan Martin from Stanford with the first round pick, but ah well....
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 02:40
I'm ok with the RB pick. Admittledly idk who he is (and I know the ranking things are very finicky, but we do have a paper that ranked this one #2 RB overall...so someone thought he was a goond one), but we do need a RB. Overall, I think the gmen have drafted at least decently (as many here don't really know the players). I thought the third pick would be something from the oline...but the experts on the tv didn't throw up at the CB pick so probably good enough. First pick in the 4th better be oline though.

Edited by Man With Hat - April 28 2012 at 02:46
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 03:19
Yeah I heard the name of the RB, I'm sure he's good just man..there were o linemen still available.
I'll keep the faith, they do pretty well with players, even when moves have been questionable.
Remember I, and others, while admitting the talent were a little miffed at the pick of JPP. IDK if the Giants can see into the future, but needless to say I take back anything I said!

Oh and with Tuck back healthy...he and JPP and both ends, gunna be epic.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:55

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:58
Wow
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 17:09
Sad news indeed.
Seau played largely before my time (I never heard the name until the 07 SB) but he seems to have certainly been a great player, and good person. Everyone regardless of team affiliation liked him and thought highly of him.

Had a wife and kids, very sad.

Guess eventually we'll see, common sense says he either was suffering (or thought he was) from concussion damage or maybe he had some issues going on.
Depression, or maybe just the weight of success and fame.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 17:30
Different news:

The Saints players penalties have come out. Only 4 after talks of 20 something potentially involved, and the expected 4 to 8 week penalties, though the full season for Vilma was a bit surprising.
Already the debate about his being too harsh, all of it being too harsh, or that it was too light...

All I know is the Saints will rally, and the offense is what it is. They may suffer a bit but, I don't think it'll be too bad, if at all. This is kind of like a pre season injury.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 17:41
Check out this article about the 1994 Chargers,who played and lost to SF in Super Bowl XXIX.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 63>