Topic ClosedCheesy Prog is....??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 22:20
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

I consider cheese to be the musical equivalent of emoting.

Asia was mentioned earlier, which is who I immediately thought of. The common component is Geoff Downes, and nothing demonstrated fermented curd more than the John Payne-era days.

Great point!   When Prog collides with Arena Rock, well, get cheese knife!  

I'm STILL hacked at Downes with his blog, attacking Yes fans as "Yuppets"!  The nerve!!  He seems to have a hold on cheesy synth sounds from various reviews I've read about the latest Yes incarnations. 

Rick Wakeman he ain't!  
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 06:42
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Other genres are probably more guilty of the "cheese" label than prog is. 

Here's Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, displaying a rather excessive and quite cheesy stage axe!  I think this one ended up stolen.  Oh well.  Made by Hamer, who make some damn nice guitars!  

It shouldn't have been too difficult to track down the culprit!
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 06:47
When I think of dairy products, Cream spring to mind. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 06:53
I would say Tormato is the cheesiest prog album ever.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 08:50
Closely followed by Big Generator and 'Jacaranda'.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 09:12
^I find neither "cheesy"

(Tomato or Big Gen)

I do like cheese and Tomato though.

Edited by Snow Dog - July 21 2012 at 09:13
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 10:05
I've thought long and hard about this, no really, cheesy prog is feta. Tongue

Might be a Capresi though, dammit on second thought I need to go back to the thinking table...

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 21 2012 at 10:06
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 10:07
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^I find neither "cheesy"

(Tomato or Big Gen)

I do like cheese and Tomato though.

Never said I didn't like Tormato (gave it three stars here), but come on: "Arriving UFO?"  "Circus of Heaven?"  "Don't Kill the Whale?"  LOL

Add to this Wakeman's worst keyboard tones in the history of Yes, and you could put this album on a bed of nachos!
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 10:18
BG isn't all cheesy - Shoot High, Aim Low is a crunchy biscuit.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 19:21
I've thought the only two that really deserved it were Almost Like Love and the title cut.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 19:57
Maybe it's a stupid question, but how exactly do you define cheesy? I never understood what exactly it means.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 19:58
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Maybe it's a stupid question, but how exactly do you define cheesy? I never understood what exactly it means.

From what i read in this thread everyone dfines it differently  anyway.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 21:07

From what i read in this thread everyone defines it differently  anyway.

Yeah, like a lot of words it has various connotations, and hopefully the meaning one person is using comes through in the context of the post.  It can mean having cheese-like qualities (say with food), of course, but it also means inauthentic, cheap, chintzy,  tacky, show-offy, and/or nasty.  Rick Wakeman in a gold cape comes close to describing my feelings towards the word cheesy -- gaudy. Cheesy is not in good taste, but it sure can be fun for lamoes (j/k).  Chintzy is how I usually use it, and to mean lame or corny in a chintzy (extravagantly showy and lowbrow) manner...  To me Emerson sticking daggers in his organ (ouch!) is cheesy.  It's extravagantly showy and decidedly low (I think ) performance art.  To me that is really tacky, and I actually found the damaging of instruments quite offensive.  I wonder if a really well respected musician who isn't trying to act like a crude rock star would destroy his Stradivarius (or lesser instrument) on stage? Sacrilege! I recall reading about a violin star with mass appeal who would destroy his violin is some cheesy parody of certain rock stars.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2012 at 21:23
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 16:26

From what i read in this thread everyone dfines it differently  anyway.

I tend to favor the definition here: "Trying too hard, unsubtle, and inauthentic."

Much of the Yes catalog featuring Rabin had the scent of cheese to it IMHO, there WERE some good songs, but others felt forced, contrived, and formulated to sell singles vs. emoting a true progressive compositional attitude.  "Big Generator" bugs me especially badly, can't stand it.  

"Tormato" was a cheese pizza, with "Circus of Heaven" and "Whale"....however, I've come to enjoy "Whale" as a live performance piece, where the band was able to kick up the tempo and energy level.  

Many of the latest prog bands seem to be guilty of "cheese syndrome" in that they try TOO hard to be original & spectacular, playing faster & faster, with the ultimate product being something of a mess.  I consider Dream Theater guilty of this...amazing musicians, but they need someone in the band to help with the writing or something.  My favorite DT tunes are their covers of KC etc. 

So, cheese away!!  Bands who wear costumes onstage, utilize huge/outrageous instrumentation, and write clearly derivative prog qualify in my book, which is why I mentioned "Big Elf".  I can't stand 'em, but others seem to really like them.  

Prog is "to each their own," I quite enjoy some very cheesy prog like Flash' "Out of our Hands"!  VERY cheesy music & lyrics!   I knew Starcastle, and their "Fountains of Light" LP just DRIPPED with gooey, molten prog cheese!!  Ugh, worst lyrics ever!!  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 17:41
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Ayreon are the kings of cheese. And no, cheesiness is not good in music.

I totally agree! Thumbs Up
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

From what i read in this thread everyone defines it differently  anyway.

Yeah, like a lot of words it has various connotations, and hopefully the meaning one person is using comes through in the context of the post.  It can mean having cheese-like qualities (say with food), of course, but it also means inauthentic, cheap, chintzy,  tacky, show-offy, and/or nasty.  Rick Wakeman in a gold cape comes close to describing my feelings towards the word cheesy -- gaudy. Cheesy is not in good taste, but it sure can be fun for lamoes (j/k).  Chintzy is how I usually use it, and to mean lame or corny in a chintzy (extravagantly showy and lowbrow) manner...  To me Emerson sticking daggers in his organ (ouch!) is cheesy.  It's extravagantly showy and decidedly low (I think ) performance art.  To me that is really tacky, and I actually found the damaging of instruments quite offensive.  I wonder if a really well respected musician who isn't trying to act like a crude rock star would destroy his Stradivarius (or lesser instrument) on stage? Sacrilege! I recall reading about a violin star with mass appeal who would destroy his violin is some cheesy parody of certain rock stars.

As far as a useful definition goes, for me this is very close to the money re 'Cheesey'
I also think 'aged' or 'obsolete' are both implied and pretty much any phenomena that craves to be treated as high art but requires the postscript wots wrong with a bit of fun innit? on cessation must be toe curling embarrassing (cheesey)

BassoonAng View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 01:39
I've heard people call the melodramatic theatrics of Peter Gabriel Genesis and Ian Anderson JTull "cheesy" prog, but it's not cheesy in my opinion until someone really deviates from prog.  I'd tend to think that the Duke album is "cheesy" prog, but I'm not here to start a fire.  Wink
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 01:54
In my honest opinion ELP is a bit cheesy, although I do enjoy them when I'm in the right mood.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 03:00
The last track in Transatlantic's The Whirlwind 'Dancing With Eternal Glory' is cheesy.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 20:42
Originally posted by BassoonAng BassoonAng wrote:

I've heard people call the melodramatic theatrics of Peter Gabriel Genesis and Ian Anderson JTull "cheesy" prog, but it's not cheesy in my opinion until someone really deviates from prog.  I'd tend to think that the Duke album is "cheesy" prog, but I'm not here to start a fire.  Wink

Gabriel and Anderson were both experts at taking the stage to excess & making it a brilliant artistic statement!  

I'm sorry to have missed the "Passion Play" tour, some of that one ("The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles") seem to touch the cheddar, but overall, the quality of the musicianship more than makes up for any weak moments!  

Anderson threw cheese into the audiences' faces on the "War Child" tour, with the rather amazing stage costumes!  Jeffery Hammond-Hammond's matching zebra suit and zebra-painted bass (and Japanese electric guitar) were just incredible!!  On any other performer, I think the cheese word might have been used.  

Jeffery was one of the great, unsung bass heroes of prog, not mentioned very much on PA compared to Squire etc.  He was as good as any of the rest.  Onstage, the man never stopped moving.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>