Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 05:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Clap
I listened to my CD copy two days ago through my headphones (the same way I listen to vinyl), and I really missed the analog quality, I even added a bit of bass to see if it got better and it didn't. I was also annoyed about how low Wright's tracks are (it's probably because of TER): is it also the case of last year's remaster?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 07:23
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

This IS an SL-D3... from 1981
Mine was made in 1979, I believe, and I hope it will last for another 35 years. I won't, so I guess I don't care all that much?

Buy the way, the position of the controls on the SL-D3 implies that the dust cover should be down while playing a record Geek .. but that's only Matsush*ta's opinion. 

Edited by Argonaught - January 03 2015 at 07:24
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 07:38
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

This IS an SL-D3... from 1981
Mine was made in 1979, I believe, and I hope it will last for another 35 years. I won't, so I guess I don't care all that much?

Buy the way, the position of the controls on the SL-D3 implies that the dust cover should be down while playing a record Geek .. but that's only Matsush*ta's opinion. 

How do you know you won't last 35 more years? I'm planning pretty hard to be around by then, my grand parents died way down in their 90s so I expect I can last another 55 years as well.

And opinions differ, but I'm pretty happy with the dust cover up or down - either way.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 07:41
Found a little gem in the attic this morning. Someone mentioned it earlier this week on Facebook and I remembered I had the LP once - turns out I still have it.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 12:02
I have a question for members in countries other than the US.
Are US pressings of classic prog LPs more common or less common at your local record stores?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 12:03
Fremer can be annoying sometimes, but he certainly has a ton of history with regard to analog gear and vinyl. He is the one who back in the early 80's fought the "vinyl is dead" movement, he is right....We all saved it and made it the future back then.
He reviews some albums here and talks vinyl for 2015......I certainly like reading his stuff more than hearing him talk, I still respect him.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 12:18
If nobody beat me to it, I made the deal of a life time on a second hand site just now.... Less than 120 euro for all this on original LPs:

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards
Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Brand X - Masques
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - TFTO
Yes - TYA
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Relayer
Yes - Close to the Edge
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the center of the earth
David Bowie - The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

Smile
ISKC Rock Radio
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 12:20
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Clap
I listened to my CD copy two days ago through my headphones (the same way I listen to vinyl), and I really missed the analog quality, I even added a bit of bass to see if it got better and it didn't. I was also annoyed about how low Wright's tracks are (it's probably because of TER): is it also the case of last year's remaster?

To be very honest, I only have a few CDs that have a full, big analog sound, it's a difficult thing to find on CD....I have maybe 200-300 CDs, I rarely play them anymore and much of them are just thin and clinical sounding. The only benefit is there is no surface noise in quiet passages, that's it.

The Division Bell 20yr anniversary vinyl issue is cut from the original analog masters, released by Parlaphone records but not sure who pressed it, there are no liner notes, not even sure who mastered it. It has a mix that simply creates a wonderful analog magic, it makes certain parts of your brain click differently than when I play the CD.
When I play TER right after the mix seems to be very comparable, not sure but I will guess TER was mastered to a 24bit file, which is perfectly fine, the mix has a wonderful analog feel/sound to it, I don't have this on CD so cannot compare.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 12:22

If nobody beat me to it, I made the deal of a life time on a second hand site just now.... Less than 120 euro for all this on original LPs:

Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Brand X - Masques
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - TFTO
Yes - TYA
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Relayer
Yes - Close to the Edge

Smile

Merry Christmas to you.......!! Nice haul..........ohh and I hate you for finding this for so cheap! Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 12:46
My original copy, pressed in Germany not sure by who, issued by Island Records. It's old and well played but still displays wonderful soundscapes and a low-end to die for, a big sound for sure.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 03 2015 at 12:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 13:09
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I have a question for members in countries other than the US.
Are US pressings of classic prog LPs more common or less common at your local record stores?
I don't have any on my collection: I have from Portugal, Spain, France, UK and Germany. It's also very rare, at least here, to find US or Canadian classic prog LPs, even from Kansas or Rush (this year's Rush vinyl re-releases also don't seem to be released here Unhappy)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 13:12

Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Brand X - Masques
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - TFTO
Yes - TYA
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Relayer
Yes - Close to the Edge

Smile
Damn, that's a sweet deal! Big smile
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 13:32
Thanks for your response. I've been trying to research the value of some of my 70s prog albums.
I've seen a lot of UK pressings listed but seldom see any US pressings for the same LP.
I've noticed that King Crimson and Gentle Giant LPs have very high prices but I never find prices on the US versions.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 14:04

Thanks for your response. I've been trying to research the value of some of my 70s prog albums.
I've seen a lot of UK pressings listed but seldom see any US pressings for the same LP.
I've noticed that King Crimson and Gentle Giant LPs have very high prices but I never find prices on the US versions.

Like anything else it depends.....Just because it was pressed in UK, Germany, Italy, Japan does not mean it has more value than the US counterpart pressing. What I find is the sound quality of those overseas pressing are better, the mastering overseas was/is pretty good. That has no $$ value, what has value is if the pressing was limited runs or something quirky or special about it.

Always check discogs for a range of prices, make sure you match all the spine codes, deadwax, UPC and such info.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 14:13

Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Brand X - Masques
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - TFTO
Yes - TYA
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Relayer
Yes - Close to the Edge

Smile

And confirmed as well, just now. Paid and all, now it's waiting for the mailman!
ISKC Rock Radio
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 14:26

Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Brand X - Masques
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - TFTO
Yes - TYA
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Relayer
Yes - Close to the Edge

Smile

And confirmed as well, just now. Paid and all, now it's waiting for the mailman!

We will be expecting 14 pictures of your treasure find.....Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 15:06
You'll get them, don't worry. Biggest dream is that David still got his balls on Diamond Dog, but that's a very small chance.
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 15:06

Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Brand X - Masques
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - TFTO
Yes - TYA
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Relayer
Yes - Close to the Edge

Smile

Merry Christmas to you.......!! Nice haul..........ohh and I hate you for finding this for so cheap! Wink

I love you too.... Or as Kati would say Hughugs to you!!!   LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Angelo - January 03 2015 at 15:07
ISKC Rock Radio
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 15:28

I dragged home no less that ten beat-up, 50+ year old records yesterday. One of the records, titled Hi-Fi Sampler, has a picture that rather vividly illustrates how the 1950s-1960s families went about methodically destroying their records:

"Here, Doris, grab this one with your greasy fingers and rub it .. attagirl! Now, Chuck, let's get a couple of them  piled on the floor, without jackets. That's my boy".

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 15:35

Like anything else it depends.....Just because it was pressed in UK, Germany, Italy, Japan does not mean it has more value than the US counterpart pressing. What I find is the sound quality of those overseas pressing are better, the mastering overseas was/is pretty good. That has no $$ value, what has value is if the pressing was limited runs or something quirky or special about it.

Always check discogs for a range of prices, make sure you match all the spine codes, deadwax, UPC and such info.
Thanks. I just started doing research because I'm considering selling off a lot of my collection. My grown children are not interested in inheriting them regardless of whether they are worth anything or not. I'm not sure where to or how best to sell them. Eighty per cent of them are from the seventies and are in excellent to near mint condition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 312>