FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPascal's Prog Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 05:31
I had the same problem with H to He. I really didn't get it. Still don't really.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 05:54
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

An album I can't really get into is VDGG's H To He... Maybe time will make it better, but I have yet not succeeded in listening to the whole in one time. It's not even Peter Hammil's vocals, because I can appreciate what he does and like (not love as I do with other singers) his singing, but the music just really bores me, think I'll try it later on again.
Having read most of your prog journey I wouldn't give up on VdGG just yet. Try any one of their to most popular albums = either Pawn Hearts (their most sonically extreme, but still very recognizable as classic UK-prog) of the more structured Godbluff. Both should fit nicely along with your King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Genesis albums. I can't guarantee instant love but I would be surprised if you'll find them boring. 

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 09:35
I also thought of trying other albums, thanks for the recommendations!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 02:04

Another 2 great GG albums. I find Three Friends to be a little boring at times but has its outstanding moments just like the preceeding two, which makes it a 8.5 for me. It also appears as a little less eclectic to me.
Now the follow-up is a whole lot better, I like the (sort of) new direction with short songs which aren't very extended but very complicated and compact. So many layers and things to pay attention to that you can listen to it endlessly, a 9.5; just beats out Acquiring The Taste IMO.

An album I can't really get into is VDGG's H To He... Maybe time will make it better, but I have yet not succeeded in listening to the whole in one time. It's not even Peter Hammil's vocals, because I can appreciate what he does and like (not love as I do with other singers) his singing, but the music just really bores me, think I'll try it later on again.

H to He is very hard to get into. Not for starters. I put it aside for a number of years before I could get into it, but now it is my third favourite VdGG album, after Still Life and Godbluff.

Edited by someone_else - August 22 2016 at 02:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 13:24
As I'm listening to An Inmates Lullaby I realise my musical preference has developed over the last couple of weeks in the sense that I'm really enjoying songs with a very specific mood/ambience. I have this experience a lot with Gentle Giant, very thematic music with unique textures which take you to a sort of dreamworld which I appreciate a lot.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 18:42
Gentle Giant is one of the most unique bands out there. Won't find another like them.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
dinesha4n View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

spam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 03:40
It should not be kept for the so long time as it to be working in a good site
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 04:38
^I'm not sure I understand what you mean with that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 01:50
As I'm going further with the band which is currently my most played probably, Gentle Giant, I find that I prefer their older work to the later. In A Glass House and The Power And The Glory are truly sophisticated and creative albums, I can't feel the music the way I did with earlier songs. They both are a little less atmospherical. There still are moments which are really moving. Both are worth 8.5.

Another album I listened to quite some times lately is Awake, which also feels slightly like "just another album". Which I understand is also part of the prog metal sub-genre. Still a nice album, with awesome moments that stand out. I'd regard to the album as comparable to Black Clouds & Silver Linings but overall it offers slightly less for me to really enjoy; 7.

Edited by DDPascalDD - September 22 2016 at 01:51
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 01:57
^ Awake was a quite unique album when it came out, many forget that. I & W and Awake were an influence on a lot of progressive metal bands soon after.
BC&SL is just another DT album to me, I thought it was better than the previous one, but bellow albums like Train of Thought and Octavarium.
Their last album is astonishingly bad. DT needs a break, hope they take one.

Edited by Cristi - September 22 2016 at 02:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 02:34
The difference is that I listened to BC&SL before I heard Awake. Awake may indeed be more original/unique which defenitely has value, but still BC&SL is an album I like better.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 02:38
Both "In a Glass House" and "The Power and the Glory" were issued in Septembers, thus I am listening to them this month on occasions. Now, I am not that excited by them, if you want me to be honest with you. It's not like I do not have any favourite Gentle Giant's albums of mine, because I have - "Gentle Giant" and "Acquiring the Taste" to name two, but "In a Glass House" and "The Power and the Glory"? I rather find them uninspiring and when it comes to creativity, in a sense, yes, they might be creative - as if the band was looking for ways to express themselves, but in the end didn't find much. In case of "The Power and the Glory", I believe the title, suggesting something powerful and famous, could add psychologically to overall ratings of the album, and a picture of some king on it too
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 03:19

The difference is that I listened to BC&SL before I heard Awake. Awake may indeed be more original/unique which defenitely has value, but still BC&SL is an album I like better.

I understand your preference.
Although I'll admit that I am often surprised how some love later day DT more than the Kevin Moore DT albums. As someone who has been listening to DT since the Moore era, I just don't get it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 05:07
I love his creative way of playing, he really has a unique style which is melodic in an interesting way which I think he developed by experenting with baroque lines. A very clear example of this is his solo at the beginning of One Last Time.
His choice of piano sound is not really to my liking though most of the time.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 05:28
^ wait... One Last Time is on SfaM, first album with Jordan on keys.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 06:44
Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, because I did know that and was indeed talking about Rudess.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 13:15
I haven't listened to many new music lately, so it's been a while for a post here now I got a little moment to rattle. I've tried some things, albums which I'm still not quite sure how to rate them, the Earth, Invisible debut which is an obscure post-rockish release, a genre which was I never have given a real try, but I quite like it when I'm in the right mood, a very emotive sound and of course very complex rhythmics. 
Also I tried some Jethro Tull, but found this band will probably not become one of my favourites, I gave the debut some listens and some songs are very nice and fun, but only a few I'd like listen lots of times, maybe some I can appreciate later albums more, but at first listen I didn't really like Aqualung.
What I do enjoy a lot currently is complex compositions, a lot of time in the day my thoughts wander in the area of composition. I really love listening very close to some GG favourites, but sometimes I find it lacks a bit of... Hmmm... Well the ambiences they could create in their early albums, fortunately those are full of great composition as well. I'd love to hear any recommendations of bands with such great composition and with also a lot of emotion.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 13:39
Try A Passion Play before giving up on Tull.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 16:30
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Try A Passion Play before giving up on Tull.

I'd rather recommend Thick as a Brick instead. A Passion Play is nothing more than a partially succeeded retraining exercise which might even give him some food to give up on JT.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 16:48
Total perfection don't exist - you have to love the imperfections, too.
Don't be shy - DARE !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>