Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Neo Prog Bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 14:17
It's also my list of favorite RIO bands. :P 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 14:47
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Here is the complete list of neo-prog bands I like:

Quite a list, eh?

Now, now, I know you like Twelfth Night (pre-Andy Sears)!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 15:35
There is a special reason why my list is like this. Let me tell you a little story my brother told me about the time he studied at the university of Cologne:

When he studied there he was approached by a member of a Burschenschaft or Studentenverbindung; both are names that refer to organizations that have some similarity with the fraternities at British or American colleges or universities. But there are certain differences. These Burschenschaften are extremely right wing. My brother had difficulties to keep a straight face and laugh inwardly only when the guy who approached him actually said: "At the Wartburg festival we were considered to be extremely progressive, but today we are considered to be reactionary, although today we still have the same ideals as back then. I just don't understand it". The Wartburg festival took place in 1817, by the way.

And that's exactly what is wrong with neo-prog bands: They are still at the Wartburg festival (metaphorically speaking). But what once was progressive no longer is today, and that's the problem I have with neo-prog.

My brother actually attended a meeting of this Verbindung and said it was the most stupid convention he ever attended. There was a kind of military drill, new members of the Bruderschaft were called "Fuchs" (German for "fox") and had to serve the older members, generally meaning they had to bring them beer, and it was all a mindless drinking orgy Of course there were no women around. My brother was repelled by this meeting and never contacted the Verbindung again.

The Studentenverbindung he attended actually was a "schlagende Verbindung", meaning the members fought duels (with rapiers) with members of other Verbindungen. How such a duel comes to pass and works can be seen in this scene from a movie adaption of the novel "Der Untertan" ("The Loyal Subject") by Heinrich Mann, brother of the more famous Thomas Mann.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 15:38

My brother was repelled by this meeting and never contacted the Verbindung again.

It too me a moment to realize the word was not spelled Vermindung. LOL.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 15:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

My brother was repelled by this meeting and never contacted the Verbindung again.

It too me a moment to realize the word was not spelled Vermindung. LOL.

And what is "Vermindung" supposed to mean? A kind of brainwashing?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 16:16
Rat poop.  Which is both my answer to what is Vermin Dung and my reaction to your "reasoning" for your unnecessary negative post to a thread which wasn't asking for negativity and also just your way of trying to justify being a prog snob.  (PS if you don't like Neo prog, it is in my opinion your loss, but also no skin off my nose).

Edited by rushfan4 - April 05 2018 at 16:22
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 16:41

Vermin = rat (rodent); dung = excrement (animal droppings).

Vermindung actually sounds cool, haha.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 16:56

Vermin = rat (rodent); dung = excrement (animal droppings).

Vermindung actually sounds cool, haha.

I know what "Vermin" and "Dung" means but I was unable to spot the "Vermin" in this word, simply for the reason that in the German language "Ver-" is a common prefix and "-ung" a common suffix, so I saw "Vermindung" as "Ver-mind-ung" and not as "Vermin-dung". I simply did not think of the English language when looking at "Vermindung" but of the German one since "Verbindung" is a German word (meaning "link, connection" but also "alliance"). Also there is the German word "Verminderung" meaning "reduction, decrease, diminishment". What I thought you tried to do was bring in the English word "mind" into the German language somehow, and then "Ver-mind-ung" would mean some kind of brainwashing.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 05 2018 at 17:16

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 17:20
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Rat poop.  Which is both my answer to what is Vermin Dung and my reaction to your "reasoning" for your unnecessary negative post to a thread which wasn't asking for negativity and also just your way of trying to justify being a prog snob.  (PS if you don't like Neo prog, it is in my opinion your loss, but also no skin off my nose).

It has nothing to do with snobbery; I explained my reason. I have heard a lot of neo-prog; the younger of my two brothers is a big fan of it. Not my cup of tea, but it has definitely nothing to do with snobbery. You don't like Krautrock - very much your loss.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 17:24
.... anyway, back to the original purpose of the thread. I probably consider Fish-era Marillion, IQ and Arena as my favourite neo-prog bands. I find Jadis, Pallas and Galahad pleasant enough listens and some Pendragon too (although not all their stuff). Never sure if Magenta, Frost* or It Bites fitted into the genre (does it really matter?) but I enjoy much of the output from those bands too. I think with so much uncertainty about where bands fit into a genre-centric view of prog, and bands regularly pushing to new styles and content themselves from album to album - I am loath to say I dislike any genre. Always thought prog rock was a broad church (or even a temple).

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 17:39

I have heard a lot of neo-prog; the younger of my two brothers is a big fan of it. Not my cup of tea, but it has definitely nothing to do with snobbery. You don't like Krautrock - very much your loss.

What do you think of the all-instrumental Live At The Target and Fact And Fiction by Twelfth Night? With Geoff Mann at the helm, TN was far and away better than most other neo bands. Target isn't even neo. They sound like a space rock band on that.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 17:44
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

.... anyway, back to the original purpose of the thread. I probably consider Fish-era Marillion, IQ and Arena as my favourite neo-prog bands. I find Jadis, Pallas and Galahad pleasant enough listens and some Pendragon too (although not all their stuff). Never sure if Magenta, Frost* or It Bites fitted into the genre (does it really matter?) but I enjoy much of the output from those bands too. I think with so much uncertainty about where bands fit into a genre-centric view of prog, and bands regularly pushing to new styles and content themselves from album to album - I am loath to say I dislike any genre. Always thought prog rock was a broad church (or even a temple).

That paragraph is missing two words: Twelfth Night! Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 17:58

It has nothing to do with snobbery; I explained my reason. I have heard a lot of neo-prog; the younger of my two brothers is a big fan of it. Not my cup of tea, but it has definitely nothing to do with snobbery. You don't like Krautrock - very much your loss.
The snobbery part is taking the time to bash Neo prog every chance that you can when the subject comes up.  That you don't like it isn't an issue.  It is the feeling the need to put it down which makes you a prog snob.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 18:19

The snobbery part is taking the time to bash Neo prog every chance that you can when the subject comes up.  That you don't like it isn't an issue.  It is the feeling the need to put it down which makes you a prog snob.

You appear to be a victim of subjective perception. There are so many neo-prog discussions going on; I usually just ignore them. I said a few words about Steve Hogarth (I consider his voice to be soulless; he might as well be reciting the phone book), but that's about it. I only threw in my five pennies worth here because I simply can't think of any really good neo-prog (Marillion's "Fugazi" has its moments, but that's about it).

But maybe your perception is warped because I definitely made a few negative remarks about Rush.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 18:30

I have heard a lot of neo-prog; the younger of my two brothers is a big fan of it. Not my cup of tea, but it has definitely nothing to do with snobbery. You don't like Krautrock - very much your loss.

What do you think of the all-instrumental Live At The Target and Fact And Fiction by Twelfth Night? With Geoff Mann at the helm, TN was far and away better than most other neo bands. Target isn't even neo. They sound like a space rock band on that.

I think Twelfth Night sit uneasily in neo-prog, though I don't really know where to place them (maybe eclectic). What I dislike about them is their drum sound (I am a drummer myself); it is in my opinion absolutely horrible. I wouldn't want my drums to sound like this at all.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 05 2018 at 18:31

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 19:03
Do you mean the sound of Devoil's kit on the recordings? Or his playing? He's not the most adventurous player (kind of rigid, honestly).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 19:12

Do you mean the sound of Devoil's kit on the recordings? Or his playing? He's not the most adventurous player (kind of rigid, honestly).

I mean the sound of his kit.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 19:26

I mean the sound of his kit.

Yeah, not the best. It sounds better on the live records.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 19:58

You appear to be a victim of subjective perception. There are so many neo-prog discussions going on; I usually just ignore them. I said a few words about Steve Hogarth (I consider his voice to be soulless; he might as well be reciting the phone book), but that's about it. I only threw in my five pennies worth here because I simply can't think of any really good neo-prog (Marillion's "Fugazi" has its moments, but that's about it).

But maybe your perception is warped because I definitely made a few negative remarks about Rush.

Your negative attitude is not the problem, Friede: It's your often borderline insulting remarks that bugs many here. Nobody's perfect, me first, but I sometimes wonder what is the reason for your heavy hand?

My two cents.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 01:43

That paragraph is missing two words: Twelfth Night! Wink

Actually....in all seriousness....Twelfth Night were a band who largely passed me by in the past. Never really took the time to hear them fully beyond the odd track here and there (I've got gaps everywhere in my awareness of prog bands, which is why this forum is so good). Any pointers album-wise? What are their best three, perhaps?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>