Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:22
By the way, I am making Steve Miller's "Shu Ba Da Du Ma (x4)" the one eligible for voting purposes.  

Logan:  The vocals on the "Imagine" cover are a little reserved and somewhat dark.  The lead singer for A Perfect Circle is none other than Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer of Tool.  APC is his musical outlet for a more heavy-alternative sound.  

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:46
Most of the surprises I've had recently have been at festivals, particularly Big Ears & RIO where there are many bands I've never heard of. Here's two where I walked in with no idea who they were and immediately had to get as close to stage as possible and then buy everything they've released.

The Comet Is Coming

In Love With

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - July 23 2020 at 09:48
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:26

a couple more coming up Big smile

Edited by Cristi - July 23 2020 at 12:32
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:31
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

By the way, I am making Steve Miller's "Shu Ba Da Du Ma (x4)" the one eligible for voting purposes.  

Logan:  The vocals on the "Imagine" cover are a little reserved and somewhat dark.  The lead singer for A Perfect Circle is none other than Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer of Tool.  APC is his musical outlet for a more heavy-alternative sound.  

That’s interesting, thanks. They did sound familiar. His vocals are one reason why I didn’t care for what I heard of Tool (I liked at least one Tool song, but I never explored the band deeply). That and I’m not a metal fan aside from various classic heavy metal bands, and, well there are actually considerable post 70s exceptions (does post metal count or is it beyond metal) , but I won’t say that I could not acquire the taste for such vocals if I put the time into it even if it is sometimes said that familiarity breeds contempt. ;). Certain NuMetal styles of vocals I find off-putting.

Edited by Logan - July 23 2020 at 11:35
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:02
^^ Cristi, that first video is not working for me, shows the picture but says video unavailable, maybe this will take:

I like that, good stuff, and as an added bonus "Aha" is used as an expression of surprise.

- I really like that Tom Sawyer a lot -- I prefer it to Rush's Tom Sawyer.

The Toto is not quite to my taste. I do love Toto's Dune soundtrack.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:55
And continuing with a little more Ian and Cristi:  

Ian: The Comet Is Coming “Summon the Fire”  Really groovin’ sax playing, that guy is a star.  In Love With “les-flics-de-la-police” (and now for something completely different, but isn’t that just Ian for ya?  😉 ) Very percussive from all three players at once, despite the fact that there’s just one percussionist.  Also very intense, but in a completely different way than your other two. 

Cristi: A-ha “Halfway Through the Tour,” Never heard this, should have, just from being in the rock bus biz.  Catches the road tedium perfectly.  Sounds slightly Beatlesesque to me as well.  Toto “Dave’s Gone Skiing” Surprised me, too.  I have friends who love Toto, they just never hit my radar much, like many arena rock bands of that time.  That was very enjoyable. Alex Skolnick Trio “Tom Sawyer”  Really an interesting cover of an iconic piece.  Definitely made it this band’s own.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:48
Hi dear friends.... there are so many videos here...

Is there a list of the nominations?
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 19:13
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Ian: The Comet Is Coming “Summon the Fire”  Really groovin’ sax playing, that guy is a star.  In Love With “les-flics-de-la-police” (and now for something completely different, but isn’t that just Ian for ya?  😉 ) Very percussive from all three players at once, despite the fact that there’s just one percussionist.  Also very intense, but in a completely different way than your other two. 

Cristi: A-ha “Halfway Through the Tour,” Never heard this, should have, just from being in the rock bus biz.  Catches the road tedium perfectly.  Sounds slightly Beatlesesque to me as well.  Toto “Dave’s Gone Skiing” Surprised me, too.  I have friends who love Toto, they just never hit my radar much, like many arena rock bands of that time.  That was very enjoyable. Alex Skolnick Trio “Tom Sawyer”  Really an interesting cover of an iconic piece.  Definitely made it this band’s own.

Shabaka Hutchins is the sax player & he's the center on the nu jazz scene in London, seen him three time, he's an absolute monster.

In Love With are a French experimental avant jazz trio. I was sitting on the floor two feet in front of the drummer during that video, absolutely stunning.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 19:31
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Shabaka Hutchins is the sax player & he's the center on the nu jazz scene in London, seen him three time, he's an absolute monster.

In Love With are a French experimental avant jazz trio. I was sitting on the floor two feet in front of the drummer during that video, absolutely stunning.
  As you know, I don't always go for everything you bring forward, but you often stretch my ears and I esp liked The Comet Is Coming, will definitely seek them out further.  

Edited by Snicolette - July 23 2020 at 19:35
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:55
ok, one more song that really surprised me, from Europe's last album from 2017 (and btw, those who haven't checked their albums since they came back in the 2000s should, you'll have some surprises definitely LOL)

now choosing a nomination is even harder. LOL

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:38
Sorry to have been away from this thread for a couple of days, but I've spent some time on the polls that Scott (Rushfan) has been opening in the prog section. The site is being overwhelmed by threads on Seventies bands, and I believe in supporting the efforts of new bands/artists in these difficult times.

Anyway, I'll nominate the Deee-Lite song for this poll.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:08
OK, today I'll put together the nominations. Let's see what we have up to now. Please tell me if I missed anything. Obviously you can still add and change!

micky: Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk (?)
Raff: Dee-Lite - Groove is in the Heart
Snicolette : Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song
The Anders: Dvar - Gyandarvaal
TCat: Steve Miller - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma
jamesbaldwin: A Filetta, Paolo Fresu, Daniele di Bonaventura - I vostri sguardi
Moshkito: Carmen - Bulerias
Logan: Air - Radian
mathman0806: Beautiful People - If 60s were 90s (?)
Meltdowner: Bruno Pernadas - Spaceway 70
Nogbad_The_Bad: Leonard Cohen - Is this what you wanted (?)
suitkees: King Missile - Detachable Penis
rushfan4: Neil Diamond - Be
Lewian: Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait
Cristi : A-ha - Half Way Through the Tour

Gave some preliminary listens to some more of these... Lorenzo is once more on the money for me!

Edited by Lewian - July 24 2020 at 16:57
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:13
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Sorry to have been away from this thread for a couple of days,

No need to say sorry... some post just their nomination and that's it. A perfectly good and legitimate way to take part, if you ask me. (And everyone still wanting to come in is very welcome!)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:28
Quick listen to some others: In Love With sounds great, gotta check them out. They're probably on PA!? (And as you're not Pedro... Wink)
Cristi: The A-Ha one surprised me most, and in a good way, didn't know they did 7 minutes songs (although I knew they have some cool stuff). Quality-wise I also like Toto Tambu and Alex Skolnick, Europe less so.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:03
Yes, my choice to use is the Mahk Jchi Drum song.  I agree with Raff, may take a look at the regular polls as well and see if I have opinions.  I know everyone is laughing now.  LOL  It is nice to see the lesser-knowns get some listens.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:09
And one more for the road:

Cristi:  Europe “Walk the Earth” This surprised me, also.  I actually don’t usually listen to rock per se, this is pretty proggy for not being a prog band, again, unfamiliar, so not sure if this is typical of them.  In my day, much of rock was prog, and wasn’t initially designated so, it was just how it evolved.  Anyway, pretty darned good stuff, this.  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:34
I'm on page 4 and so far two songs really surprised:
Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait : Fusion with Flamenco and actually tasteful 80's sounds. I will have to check out the full album later.
Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma : I only knew "The Joker" (song) and never appealed to me but this was much different. It has such a fantastic build-up. Micky's suggestion was great too, very Mellotronic Big smile

I already knew Air but it's been a while, I forgot how good it is. By the way, I noticed Brian Reitzell played drums on it. Greg, do you know Reitzell's "Auto-Music"? I took a chance on that CD and it's a great modern Krautrock album.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:48
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Quick listen to some others: In Love With sounds great, gotta check them out. They're probably on PA!? (And as you're not Pedro... Wink)
Cristi: The A-Ha one surprised me most, and in a good way, didn't know they did 7 minutes songs (although I knew they have some cool stuff). Quality-wise I also like Toto Tambu and Alex Skolnick, Europe less so.

Not currently on, I should probably suggest them to my avant colleagues.
Ian

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:04

And one more for the road:

Cristi:  Europe “Walk the Earth” This surprised me, also.  I actually don’t usually listen to rock per se, this is pretty proggy for not being a prog band, again, unfamiliar, so not sure if this is typical of them.  In my day, much of rock was prog, and wasn’t initially designated so, it was just how it evolved.  Anyway, pretty darned good stuff, this.  

not the typical Europe song, hence the surprise. 
But these days Europe plays a hard rock sound influenced by 70s hard rock (Purple, UFO, blues-rock). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:05
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I'm on page 4 and so far two songs really surprised:
Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait : Fusion with Flamenco and actually tasteful 80's sounds. I will have to check out the full album later.
Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma : I only knew "The Joker" (song) and never appealed to me but this was much different. It has such a fantastic build-up. Micky's suggestion was great too, very Mellotronic Big smile

I already knew Air but it's been a while, I forgot how good it is. By the way, I noticed Brian Reitzell played drums on it. Greg, do you know Reitzell's "Auto-Music"? I took a chance on that CD and it's a great modern Krautrock album.

Even though I very actively search for anything Krautrocky in both modern and past music, I didn't know it, Samuel. The name rings a bell, but that might just be thinking of Kraftwerk's Autbahn or even the Italian Automat. By the way, you might have caught my embarrassingly gushy reaction, but I absolutely loved Spaceway 70. Wow! That made my day. It's my most enjoyed of the series, and believe me, I have enjoyed a huge amount that has been posted.

-----------------------------------

Lorenzo's is one which I find truly remarkable. It also wowed me.

Dvar's Gyandarvaal was another favourite, and I found Lewian's remarkable, but there was lots of really strong stuff here. It's going to be tough just choosing three.

-----------------------------

As for Cristi's Europe song, they of the "Final Countdown" (a cheesy song that I've always liked), that recent one was surprising. I really like that a lot and was not expecting to like it so much. Impressive for a band going so long, well, it would be impressive for any band. You've had various favourites of mine in the series of different styles, which might seem rather interesting since our Prog tastes commonly follow different avenues. My tastes are very diverse -- more diverse than sometimes it might seem.

This has been a fantastic round for my ears. So have all of the ones been that I've participated in, but I've really enjoyed listening through all of the music that has been posted in this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>