FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarl Palmer as a drummer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 11:59
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

there's no problem for me when someone says that some musical hero of mine lacks technique. i do agree bonzo and moon were behind bruford, collins and palmer regarding technique. but as uroboros was wisely saying on another thread, technique is something basic (and mandatory, of course), needed for being able to express something (using his words, to get a personal "style"). it's just like learning the alphabet, the grammar system, extending vocabulary etc. for being able, in the end, to write a paragraph that can express some specific emotion/concept. but in order to do that, something more than technique is needed (some call it talent, i don't like this word very much). however, it is not the most important thing to keep perfecting the technique: life is short! sometimes it's much more effective to try to get your technical inabilities to work together with the skills, to try to turn them into an advantage. many great artists did that. the most obvious case is van gogh: he was a selftaught, bellow average craftsman but man did he do something with his gift! he felt he mustn't keep making nude studies and that by putting the colours on the canvas without mixing them, something strong will emerge. and it did. (cezanne or actually all impressionists had major gaps in technique). so did jimmy page and bonzo know that being noisy and powerful they'' achieve something; they did.

Of course you're right.. but still the difference is clear (I really like Steve Hackett's music, though I wouldn't call it "technical", despite his contributions in tapping... it was more emotion than technique and it moved me... same way I rather listen to Pink Floyd than Joe Satriani, but credit where credit is due).

@Atavachron: well of course I don't have the same experience at you when it comes to guitar playing... but I know a thing or 2 about legato, arpeggios, shredding and scales... I'd practically woke up with guitar in hand for the last 5 years, and for the last 3 my focus was on improvising and re-learning classical guitar... seemingly I couldn't improvise the way Holdsworth did (considering my electric guitar lacks strings so lately I've been using classical)... I usually sit at my computer like I'm doing right now.. put online radio and listen to the music; once I learned the chord progression I started improvising... most of the time I get to play in a more Gilmour style because I haven't develop that versatility to play legato in the way Holdsworth does... sometimes I practice shredding on different scales and I still need to develop to play the way Petrucci or Di Meola does... but when it comes to occasional hammer-ons and pull-offs or slides, my guitar sounds are more alike Gilmour's..... in the end it's not technically that difficult to improvise the way he does... but I admit the guy knows what he's playing... I'm not such a technical freak, because I don't like w**kery when a player doesn't know what to say... but Sasquamo said it correct... the wider your vocabulary is, the more apt you are at writting the paragraph

Jesus Gabriel
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 13:21
He is a great drummer i say im far from being a drummer expert my all time favorite is Keith moon, i say palmer is very good from what i have heard.
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 13:47
Carl is not only a great drummer, but he is a great percusionnist. He went to a music school in London during the seventies to improve his playing.He played the timpanis, the bongos and many more...). I also heard him playing on some reaggea music on rehearsal.

He was black belt in Karate. He is also not bad on sword. He won the bronze medal in the European Championship two or three years ago in the 50 years old category in swording. He was very proud of this prize and very enthousiast when he told me that story.

A nice man indeed...    
C'est la vie
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 13:56
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

Carl is not only a great drummer, but he is a great percusionnist. He went to a music school in London during the seventies to improve his playing.He played the timpanis, the bongos and many more...). I also heard him playing on some reaggea music on rehearsal.

He was black belt in Karate. He is also not bad on sword. He won the bronze medal in the European Championship two or three years ago in the 50 years old category in swording. He was very proud of this prize and very enthousiast when he told me that story.

A nice man indeed...    

you sound like Threefates (Linda)
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 14:52
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

A good rule is that if a player never does anything impressive, chances are he can't.  Sure, you can purposefully hold back, but I don't think anyone good can dumb themselves down enough to prevent any sign of their skill from showing.

I honestly disagree with this statement, of course in some cases it's truth but not a rule.

A good example is Steve Hackett, he was hired among several guitar players despite (In Peter's words on Genesis a History) he was the only candidate not trying to impress the band with complex flashing and impressive solos...Why?

Steve Hackett in the same Videography says he had heard the music of Genesis and the band didn't required a Carlos Santana, the music they were making required strong atmospheres and band playing, the result?....He got the job.

When people spoke about Genesis always mentioned Peter theatrics, Phil's solid drumming and specially Tony's special sensibility with the keys, mostly with the Mellotron but nobody cared about Steve, the only thing remotely impressive he did was Firth of Fifth solo, but he is co-responsible with Tony for the Genesis sound.

A good musician does what the band requires and Genesis never required a soloist but somebody who complemented Tony Banks, that's what Steve did.

When he released VOTA people started to say "Hey, the guy really plays" and only when he left Genesis, the fans really noticed how important he was, the spine of the band was destroyed, Rutherford in studio and Stuermer on stage were never able to replace Steve, despite Stuermer is a great Jazz guitar player (Listen him with Ponty, simply impressive).

Now Genesis is a curiosity, they sell tickets for a gig but Steve is still among the most respected musicians in the Prog and Classical guitar scenario, he has recorded with Symphony Orchestras not being a keyboardist and Yehudi Menuhin has used his music for a program.

This is the same obscure guy sitting in a corner and never taking the head from the guitar who the audience almost ignored while in Genesis, now, he is not as rich as Genesis trio members but I'm sure he's wealthy enough and more important...respected.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 02 2007 at 16:15

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 14:55
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

[QUOTE=Sasquamo]
, the only thing remotely impressive he did was Firth of Fifth solo,

Iván

Disagree entirely. I think all of his solos were excellent.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

no, it's not that what he means, it's not quality he was discussing. what he says applies to me perfect - i'm not (yet) a fan and i can testify that, though i am more and more enjoying and understanding steve's work, his only solo i can remember is that certain solo. it's the only one which has had a profound impression on me and it's the only - up till now - recognizable for me.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 15:10

[QUOTE=Sasquamo]

Iván

Of course, but during his Genesis career Steve was more a SOLID GUITARIST than a spectacular one.

He did the things he had to do in the correct and precise time, but never tried to prove how good he was or start a competition trying to prove he was the best (I believe he's the most talented performer in the band and at least as good composer as Gabriel and Banks), he knew how good he was and that was enough for him.

Iván

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 15:12

[QUOTE=Sasquamo]

Iván

Of course, but during his Genesis career Steve was more a SOLID GUITARIST than a spectacular one.

He did the things he had to do in the correct and precise time, but never tried to prove how good he was or start a competition trying to prove he was the best (I believe he's the most talented performer in the band and at least as good composer as Gabriel and Banks), he knew how good he was and that was enough for him.

Iván

Well, Ivan, for me he was spectacular, and I was a Hackett fan from the very beginning. His guitar solo on The Knife..all his guitar work on the knife...used to leave me in paroxyms of delight!

No point arguing though, we all have our own opinions.Wink

Edited by Snow Dog - January 01 2007 at 15:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:13

Well, Ivan, for me he was spectacular, and I was a Hackett fan from the very beginning. His guitar solo on The Knife..all his guitar work on the knife...used to leave me in paroxyms of delight!

Well, the guitar solo in The Knife was Anthony Phillips,

Of course not, but I bet that if you had asked 100 Prog fans of Genesis and Yes about the best guitar player during the early/mid 70's, 90 would have mentioned Steve Howe and only a few Steve Hackett.

Iván

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:15

Well, the guitar solo in The Knife was Anthony Phillips,  Genesis LIve mate.....I know what I'm talking about!

Of course not, but I bet that if you had asked 100 Prog fans of Genesis and Yes about the best guitar player during the early/mid 70's, 90 would have mentioned Steve Howe and only a few Steve Hackett.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:16
LMAO I knew that only bugging, the Knife version in Live is much better than the one in Trespass.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 01 2007 at 16:17

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:18

LMAO I knew that only bugging, the Knife version in Live is much better than the one in Trespass.

Iván

You bad man!Angry

LOL
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:19
I much preferred Anthony Phillips' solo on the studio version of 'The Knife' than Steve's one on the live album, but other than that I have no hesitation in listing Steve as my fave player of any genre.

I do agree that Steve has respect more than any other members of the band amongst prog fans because he remained 'progressive' whereas Genesis simply did not, imo. I would personally have a hard job finding a CD's worth of great Genesis material after 'Duke' due to all the pop tunes. I have nothing against pop but it's not necessarily something I want from Genesis- I imagine some agree with me here. And while Genesis are no doubt better off financially, I'm reminded of something Steve said that having John Lennon single out his guitar work for praise after hearing 'Selling England...' meant more to him than all the trophies on the wall says something about his artistic integrity, imho.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:34

Iván

You bad man!Angry

LOL

I have better memory than you despite last night LOL, once we chatted we talked about the two Knife versions and since then I know how fond you are on Live.

Now back to the issue, another group of musixcians who didn't liked showmanship or long solos but still were able to do anything:

1. John Entwistle: Roger Daltrey was the frontman, Pete was a dynamo on stage and Keith Moon was from another galaxy but the true strenght of the rhythm sectiomn was in hands of John, he was always calmed at the right side of the scenario (Audience perspective) and cleaning all the timing messes Keith made (Keith was strong and fast but very clumsy sometimes). Entwistle barely tuched the strings with a unique and absolutely clean style, always accurate, always perfect but hardly worried about proving how good he was.
  2. Gary Thain: Never saw a better bass player than him, again he had a strong drummer as Lee Kerslake but hardly technicall, while David Byron made his own show and Mick Box made his famous runs, Lee hardly moved with the cigarette in his lips but was so incredibly good that not even John Wetton (Who is a great bass player) could fill the space left by Gary.
  3. Phil Ehart: IMO at least in the same level of Bill Bruford, Kansas drumming is extremely complex, the guy is a human metronome and one of the most talented drummers ever but you hardly notice him, the guy never looks at his drums he only looks the rest of the band and the audience to know when to add something extra, at the end of the concerts he salutes the audience with a small towell in the neck and lo0oks as if he almost hadn't swept he makes drumming easy.

So not necesarilly those who make longer and most complex solos are the best musicians, the real virtuoso knows when to do everything.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 01 2007 at 17:01

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 16:42
^ A good point about Gary Thain. There's a discussion on the Uriah Heep forum at the moment about how the band lost something when he left. I tended to agree, as the band seem to go through the motions a bit on some songs of the immediate post Thain albums, even though I go right through their career and could find something to like on all their albums- a real rarity amongst bands I like!!

Another one that springs to mind in this category is Kerry Minnear. He's a name that seems to be omitted from some people's lists because there are less flashy solos than from, say, Wakeman or Emerson yet when he does cut loose it's obvious he's their equal and, imo, provides better accompaniment than those two players who tend to like to take center stage a bit more than Minnear (nothing wrong with that of course- to a budding keyboardist, it's a joy to hear musicians in complete command of the instrument).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 20:11
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Chus is right, technique is totally separate from emotion.  You can't say Gilmour was a technically skilled guitarist because he played emotionally.  The correct thing to say would be "He didn't have much physical ability, but he could play very emotionally."  And by the way, Satriani could play Gilmour's stuff perfectly, and could also play very emotional stuff, I'll bet.  The thing is, though, most musicians like to play to the extent of their ability, because it's more fun for them.   And one more thing.  Can you imagine how much more emotional Gilmour's playing could be if he had more ability but still approached his playing the same way?  Referring to andu's writing example, the more vocabulary you have command of, the better you can make the paragraph.

I say Gilmour was a technically skilled guitarist because he *is*, it's just not a skill you value. Satriani could not play Gilmour's stuff perfectly, though it might be quite cool to hear his version of Dave's playing. I love Joe and welcome any good new stuff from him. But he's no Dave Gilmour in terms of the full width of possibilities on the guitar. Satriani is a master of modern rock guitar playing, but Dave is a master, period. Same with Jeff Beck, easily one of the top five living electric axe men. Seen him live several times-- no one better. Does it mean he lacks technical skill because he plays more like Miles Davis than he does John McLaughlin? No, Jeff Beck can rip as well as any player of his generation including Hendrix. And what *about* Jimi, hmm? You going to tell me Hendrix lacked technical skill? I double-dare you. He was *past* all the glitter and flash that seems so important but had the skills if he needed them. Same with Miles.

Edited by Atavachron - January 02 2007 at 01:34
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 21:22
Atavachron: I agree about Jeff; Hendrix just happens to be one of the most influential guitar players in rock history... he practically started the "guitar hero" trend... he was self-taught and he has a more "innate" skill, which others would polish later on... he was but you can't simply put him in the same paragraph as Gilmour, and the MASTER tag you put to him simply overrates him... As for Satch, I haven't heard him play Gilmour's licks but I'd bet he could do it (perhaps not with the same effect, but he surely would)... Satch has been a guitar teacher and has taught people like Steve Vai.... Gilmour is good but not as much a legend as people put him to be. I don't think technical skill necessarily means playing like Miles Davis only... Holdsworth has a totally different approach to the guitar from Di Meola, and I admire both equally.. same with McLaughin.... but your comparison is like saying that Hackett is as good as Paco De Lucia in classical because Hackett plays classical guitar in another manner (which is, still, some levels below De Lucia)... but skill is not all in music, and I support that; just trying to give some credit
Jesus Gabriel
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 21:44
The difference between Miles Davis and David Gilmour is that Miles Davis was and Improviser and an Innovator.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 21:50
Seven pages and still not even one laugh over the "Better than "Carl Palmer as Obi wan Kenobi" joke. I'm hopeless...

Edited by cuncuna - January 01 2007 at 21:50
¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>