Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 00:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have you tried the band Astra?  Not sure if they would appeal to you or not, but I believe that they use all authentic old equipment and recording technologies. 

Thanks much for the tip...I read your review of "The Weirding" yesterday and was intrigued...I'm giving the album a spin or two now - TGFYoutube Wink
Let us know what you think.  I am curious to hear your thoughts on them.

I decided I didn't want to just listen to this once and rave about how great it was (I'm a sucker for anything with mellotron) but love at first sight never really lasts between me and prog so I've been listening to The Weirding many times over the past 4 days.  Simply put, it's like this crazy blend of Meddle-era Pink Floyd and early 70's King Crimson with lots of ARP lead synth icing.  The mellotron stylings are much more Ian MacDonald/Fripp (mixes of single note melodies and chords) than Tony Banks (big chord washes).  There's also lots of ARP synth lead work but not at all in a Banks style...I can't really place who it reminds me of and that's a good thing!  The songs are multi-part with complex and heavy sections contrasted by quiet passages and vocal dominated bits.  The songwriting is outstanding.  The lead guitar work doesn't really remind me of anyone in particular, except maybe the excellent and obscure US prog bands of the late 70's, Cathedral & Netherworld.  It's not at all blues-based like Gilmour and not at all metal or shred like either...maybe a little Camel like in places but with more energy...melodic but sometimes complex...very enjoyable.  The guitar really steps out in the long instrumental Ouroboros and sounds great.

All that being said, I don't really feel The Weirding is a slavish copy of anything and I'm really enjoying it's uniqueness.  It's like a painter deciding to use Rembrandt's palette but choosing a different subject...the color/contrast seems familiar, but the work stands on it's own merit.  I'm more of a classic prog guy, but I've sampled some of the more PA-highly-regarded modern prog bands and this is the 1st post 2000 release I've heard that has me feeling like there's more to be found there if I just give it one more listen...and I haven't felt that way about a prog album for a very long time Wink
Astra is one of my favorite new bands and I like the new one ...Black Chord...just as much.
Oh..and I think you described them perfectly. They are not copy cats and yet have that classic retro sound with plenty of good melodies.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 00:53
Astra's probably the best new(er) prog band to emerge in the last several years. Great sonics, well-arranged music, and deliciously retro. They're doing something right.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 01:05
Have to say I find both Wobbler and Astra pretty boring based on what I've heard. I also didn't like Angalgards last album.Glass Hammer are my favourite retro prog band. I need some warmth in my symphonic prog which those other bands seem to lack. The icey Scadanvian approach probably not my thing.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 10:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Have to say I find both Wobbler and Astra pretty boring based on what I've heard. I also didn't like Angalgards last album.Glass Hammer are my favourite retro prog band. I need some warmth in my symphonic prog which those other bands seem to lack. The icey Scadanvian approach probably not my thing.
Wow...boring..? Are you kidding..? I think they are both inventive and highly melodic 'retro' prog rock with plenty of 'warmth'. 
I agree about the last Anglagard....I don't think it's as good as the earlier work.
I need to re-listen and then buy some Glass Hammer....been meaning to pick up one or two of their cd's.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 10:55

Funny, as I was listening to Astra I remember thinking they're so refreshing because they don't sound anything like the modern Scandinavian bands (Anglagard/Anekdoten/Landberk/Wobbler) LOL 
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 12:03
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Hey I also like Discipline and iamthemorning, two of my favorite bands right now.

Handshake You, my friend, have wonderful taste!

Unfolded Like Staircase is a real desert-island album for me Thumbs Up

Smile Yes Unfolded Like Staircase is a masterpiece it was the first album I heard by Discipline and that was a great introduction to their fantastic music. I like everything by Discipline also the first album Push & Profit that I think is a really good album. I also like Matthew Parmenter's lyrics a lot. I also read some of your reviews, I like them. Handshake

Edited by proggman - October 22 2013 at 12:24
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 12:39

While I disagree with regard to Astra, I understand when it comes to Wobbler. The first much-hyped album (Hinterland) is by-the-numbers 70s love fest. Nothing really sticks out. On that one, they emulate the "style" but they don't make it their own. I've still not heard Afterglow but the third one, Rites At Dawn, I like much, much better than the first.

Glass Hammer is a band I used to like a lot. For whatever reason, their "flavour" of prog doesn't sit as well as it once did. Chronometree is my fave but I don't think it's as blatantly Yes-derivative as their later works. I respect those guys, though.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 12:51

Funny, as I was listening to Astra I remember thinking they're so refreshing because they don't sound anything like the modern Scandinavian bands (Anglagard/Anekdoten/Landberk/Wobbler) LOL 

I can't quite word it (I let my ears handle that part, haha), but I'm enjoying Astra a lot more than any of those bands! I know in some circles that may be considered heretical.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 12:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

While I disagree with regard to Astra, I understand when it comes to Wobbler. The first much-hyped album (Hinterland) is by-the-numbers 70s love fest. Nothing really sticks out. On that one, they emulate the "style" but they don't make it their own. I've still not heard Afterglow but the third one, Rites At Dawn, I like much, much better than the first.

Glass Hammer is a band I used to like a lot. For whatever reason, their "flavour" of prog doesn't sit as well as it once did. Chronometree is my fave but I don't think it's as blatantly Yes-derivative as their later works. I respect those guys, though.

I agree about Hinterland.  It's quite enjoyable and great fun but I don't think it's nearly as deep or rewarding as repeated listenings to Astra's "The Weirding".  Chronometree was one of those modern prog albums I loved at first hear...I thought I'd discovered a prog holy grail...and after the initial one week glow I never went back to it and traded the cd away.  Same as the first Magna Carta album.  For me they were all flash and no substance.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 13:44

Hey I also like Discipline and iamthemorning, two of my favorite bands right now.

Smile Yes Unfolded Like Staircase is a masterpiece it was the first album I heard by Discipline and that was a great introduction to their fantastic music. I like everything by Discipline also the first album Push & Profit that I think is a really good album. I also like Matthew Parmenter's lyrics a lot. I also read some of your reviews, I like them. Handshake

Why thank you! Smile I definitely appreciate that a whole lot. So glad to know you like them! Thumbs Up

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 13:49

Why thank you! Smile I definitely appreciate that a whole lot. So glad to know you like them! Thumbs Up

Glad to hear the love for Discipline.  They are a local band that I have been fortunate enough to see play live at the local clubs.  I actually got to see Matthew Parmenter play a live solo set with just him and his guitar where i was the only person there that didn't work for the bar or wasn't in the other bands that were setting up behind him.  I met him after his show and talked to him before the next bands came on. He was a really nice guy.  Big fan of VDGG and Magma.  My review of the gig if anyone is interested.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52932&KW=parmenter&PID=3017107#3017107

Edited by rushfan4 - October 22 2013 at 14:02
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 15:28

Glad to hear the love for Discipline.  They are a local band that I have been fortunate enough to see play live at the local clubs.  I actually got to see Matthew Parmenter play a live solo set with just him and his guitar where i was the only person there that didn't work for the bar or wasn't in the other bands that were setting up behind him.  I met him after his show and talked to him before the next bands came on. He was a really nice guy.  Big fan of VDGG and Magma.  My review of the gig if anyone is interested.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52932&KW=parmenter&PID=3017107#3017107

Awesome review! Man, that must have been an amazing experience! So cool that you got a chance to talk with them. I think it's really special when an artist is so willing to engage in a conversation like that with their fans and find that common ground of shared interests. Definitely wish I could've been there myself!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 15:54

I agree about Hinterland.  It's quite enjoyable and great fun but I don't think it's nearly as deep or rewarding as repeated listenings to Astra's "The Weirding".  Chronometree was one of those modern prog albums I loved at first hear...I thought I'd discovered a prog holy grail...and after the initial one week glow I never went back to it and traded the cd away.  Same as the first Magna Carta album.  For me they were all flash and no substance.

The Weirding is the one I have by Astra but only managed one listen but will give it another go. Chronomotree is very ELP like at times. Amazing keyboard runs by Fred Schendel that are hard to ignore if you like that sort of thing (obviously I do!!). Vocally it misses the mark and Glass Hammer took a massive step forward when they employed a full time drummer from The Inconsolable Secret onwards. It would be a bit dangerous to dismiss them on the basis of an album made 14 years ago (they have made several since) but you are of course fully entitled to your opinionSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 16:45

The Weirding is the one I have by Astra but only managed one listen but will give it another go. Chronomotree is very ELP like at times. Amazing keyboard runs by Fred Schendel that are hard to ignore if you like that sort of thing (obviously I do!!). Vocally it misses the mark and Glass Hammer took a massive step forward when they employed a full time drummer from The Inconsolable Secret onwards. It would be a bit dangerous to dismiss them on the basis of an album made 14 years ago (they have made several since) but you are of course fully entitled to your opinionSmile

I hear you, but I have so much more new music and bands to explore than I have time, so no 2nd chances.  Glass Hammer had their shot - even though it was 14 yrs ago LOL
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 18:37

Awesome review! Man, that must have been an amazing experience! So cool that you got a chance to talk with them. I think it's really special when an artist is so willing to engage in a conversation like that with their fans and find that common ground of shared interests. Definitely wish I could've been there myself!

Great review. This makes me so jealous I've always wanted to see Discipline and Matthew Parmenter live, but since I live in Sweden I can't do that. Unhappy I will buy the live dvd. Smile I also like Van Der Graaf Generator and Magma, two really fantastic bands. Yes I also like the artists that are willing to take some time to talk with their fans and admirers, it makes you respect them on a personal level and not just from a musical point of view. I've chatted with a few artists online but not in real life.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 01:58

I hear you, but I have so much more new music and bands to explore than I have time, so no 2nd chances.  Glass Hammer had their shot - even though it was 14 yrs ago LOL

I understand although their last 3 albums with a new settled line up have attracted a lot of praise from hardy prog fans like yourself and are different enough to those early albums.to warrant checking out. They have gone through a couple of different line ups since Chronomotree if you ignore Three Cheers altogether (probably best to although I like it). I won't hammer my point any more thoughWink 
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 03:28
Building up a nice quote pyramid here...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 04:29
Maybe we can raise it to a "Quote Tower of Babel"!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 14:21
They are a bit of a thread killer admittedly , sorryEmbarrassed
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 19:29

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Modern prog lacks melody, character and authenticity.

Dude, you miss out on so much amazing progressive music by outright dismissing modern stuff altogether.

So many inventive and exciting bands working in a variety of progressive genres to discover!

Don't simply hang on to a few albums from a small period of time and miss everything else.

I couldn't agree more. Dismissing 21st century Prog is a big no no....somebody operate on Dr. Prog!!

Ageism in the prog community is the very antithesis of what prog represents. The word "prog" should imply "progress". How can music move forward if we keep looking backward as though we've already left behind our potential to create new masterpieces? That, my friends, is regressive, not progressive.

Don't throw away the classics by any means, but don't put them on an inflated pedestal. You miss out on the amazing things going on in today's music scene. And there is some truly amazing stuff going on today. Some of it better than the classic stuff by miles in my opinion.

After stating that observation that I hope was communicated as a humble thought, I'm going to start a fight by interjecting my opinion of such examples, because that's the proper social convention for posting on the internet. The new Haken album, Riverside's last two, the new Anglagard album, and Discipline's most recent album are examples that have come out within the past 5 years that I like better than the ENTIRE YES DISCOGRAPHY. There, I said it. Not trolling either. And I'm not sorry. Commence bashing Tongue

Entire YES catalog?? Well...actually I would say most of it, especially Close To The Edge...not all of it. Also, you don't sound trolling at all. My opinion is that you bring up a fair point that I am in partial agreement with, but be careful by not contradicting yourself because you brought up a great point about 'not dismissing' the classics or discriminating against them. Saying that 'All Yes' is inferior to the likes of your modern hero's in music may be discriminatory. Lol.
Otherwise. I've enjoyed your point. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>