Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:27
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I didn't know you also had Fourth, awesome stuff.  
He had Fourth, but pleaded the Fifth .. sorry .. I am so full of **it .. time to go do something useful, like cleaning up the basement. 

Edited by Argonaught - January 11 2015 at 15:28
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:54
I took the lights off the house this morning......went to my local record store and paid myself for my hard work Big smile
I bought the debut by Boston, this one is the FridayMusic remaster by Joe Reagoso from original Epic analog tapes. Crazy good sound quality, the drums and cymbals are so alive and clean. This pressing is dead quiet.....The familiar soundscapes by Tom Scholz from his guitar are stunning...simply rival my CD version by leaps and bounds. My original copy now put away for safe keeping.

"No Computers, No Synthesizers"....love it.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 11 2015 at 15:55
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:26

Is that the original cover of Snow Goose? I have the one with "Music inspired by" written on the cover.

By the way, I read your Doors review: even though I agree with some points, I never compared their music with fully psychedelic stuff (or Prog, to me it's clever classic rock), after all they are in Proto-Prog here Ermm

Welcome to this warm thread Smile

Yes, I believe it is. I got it for three dollars, the best deal I've ever gotten. Smile

And as for the Doors, I suppose they aren't comparable in a concise sense, but I did make a generalization because I like to compare things to other things to make my point more clear to others. Sometimes some of my reviews are better/worse than others. Depends if I'm in a 'writing mood'. I also had to rush the end so it wasn't as good. Confused

http://fryingpanmedia.com
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:40
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I took the lights off the house this morning......went to my local record store and paid myself for my hard work Big smile
I bought the debut by Boston, this one is the FridayMusic remaster by Joe Reagoso from original Epic analog tapes. Crazy good sound quality, the drums and cymbals are so alive and clean. This pressing is dead quiet.....The familiar soundscapes by Tom Scholz from his guitar are stunning...simply rival my CD version by leaps and bounds. My original copy now put away for safe keeping.

Touché with the Boston. Big smile
My record is a little more fuzzy, but still sounds relatively great. Smile

http://fryingpanmedia.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:55
^ Based on the SQ and pressing of debut, I might get Don't Look Back...FridayMusic also redid that one from original analog tapes.

Somewhere in storage I have Don't Look Back on reel to reel, from my Columbia House Record club days.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 11 2015 at 16:56
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:56
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Yes, I believe it is. I got it for three dollars, the best deal I've ever gotten. Smile

And as for the Doors, I suppose they aren't comparable in a concise sense, but I did make a generalization because I like to compare things to other things to make my point more clear to others. Sometimes some of my reviews are better/worse than others. Depends if I'm in a 'writing mood'. I also had to rush the end so it wasn't as good. Confused
Cool Smile

I think they were considered very psychedelic because probably most people in the US didn't know Floyd or the psychedelic scene in 1967, it was quite recent if you think about it. I like their debut even though it has some annoying flaws, but I still prefer other albums from them even the very disliked 'Soft Parade', don't ask me why LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:58

That must be awesome. Did you play 'Foreplay/Long Time' at full volume? Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 17:00
^ How can you not.....Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 17:51
^ Instead of shopping for more vinyl, I decided to play the "Guess what is in that crate" game. And lo and behold, out came Bell Orchestre from the neighborly Canada .. must move this one into the "Stuff that I listen to" crate Thumbs Up 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:03
^ Interesting...never seen that before.

Right now for me......

What can you say about Porcupine Tree vinyl, simply some of the best sounding pressings of the past 10 years...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:05
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ Instead of shopping for more vinyl, I decided to play the "Guess what is in that crate" game. And lo and behold, out came Bell Orchestre from the neighborly Canada .. must move this one into the "Stuff that I listen to" crate Thumbs Up 

Wow, that's a cool cover, how's the music like? Smile

Another one of my recent purchases, Radio-Activity from Kraftwerk. The LP is not in very good condition, but I didn't mind since it's not one of their best albums. I really love all those Mellotron layers throughout the album and the very innovative use of electronic effects (like they always did) that seem to freely move around my head. Tongue There are some uninspired moments as well, especially when they start with vocal effects, but it was ok because my mind was already elsewhere Cool

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:07

Right now for me......

What can you say about Porcupine Tree vinyl, simply some of the best sounding pressings of the past 10 years...
I now what I'll buy after getting those KC albums I want Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:19
^ unless you already know: if you intend to play beat-up, or unknown quality records it may make sense to invest into a throw-away cartridge/needle. I always play my flea market loot first time with an AT92E (which sells for $20-something). 

Regarding the Bell Orchestre album: I would describe it something like a blend of nu jazz and folk(sy) post-rock Geek .. reminds me of more recent Jaga Jazzist. They don't use guitars, I don't believe, but have a violin and wind instruments. I suck at describing music and food 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUkz2P3C04
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:26
I was just thinking of this old Steve Martin bit and thought this would be the right thread to post it to. LOL

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:30
^^The vinyl is in better condition than the cover thankfuly, it's easily listenable. Well, my actual cartridge costed 15€. Better compatible cartridges cost 100, but I don't think the result will be much better, so I'm saving that money for a better TT Ermm

Great music, it sure seems like Jaga Jazzist Smile

Edited by Meltdowner - January 11 2015 at 18:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:33
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was just thinking of this old Steve Martin bit and thought this would be the right thread to post it to. LOL

It sounds like s**t LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:35

Right now for me......

I now what I'll buy after getting those KC albums I want Wink

Well the PT vinyl are almost no brainers, when Steven Wilson does most of the mixing its pretty amazing. I don't know who does the cutting and pressing, but it has to be someone very good with excellent QC dept. For example Lightbulb Sun is simply stunning as is In Absentia, matter of fact all of them... LOL 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:37
Big smileLOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:46

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It sounds like s**t LOL

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:55

Well, my actual cartridge costed 15€. Better compatible cartridges cost 100, but I don't think the result will be much better, so I'm saving that money for a better TT Ermm

Your table has a P-mount, correct? I used to have one of those, without factory speed adjustment or strobe; can't remember what the exact number was. Actually, it wasn't a bad table in its own genre. There was no adjustment for anything, but sometimes it can be a blessing if you just want to listen to the music and do not feel like fiddling with the alignment, counter weight and anti-skating. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 312>