Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 161>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocktopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

Okay, I'm a big fan of Belgian RIO bands (Univers Zero, Present) and also enjoy Thinking Plague and Miriador.  But that's really as far as I've gotten with RIO stuff.

So, for someone who loves dark chamber type stuff, what else would you guys recommend?

thanks!

I don't see Art Zoyd listed there ...their first 3 albums are absolute masterworks of the genre Thumbs Up

Excellent.  I've certainly heard of them, but will check them out immediately, thanks!

My favorite RIO band (also, along with Magma and Can, my favorite band). I say atleast their first four first albums are essential.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 17:01
Pocket Orchestra
Cartoon
PFS

There's three more.

Plus more Belgian:

Cro Magnon
Julverne (although they're more prog-folk)
X-Legged Sally

And don't forget:

Far Corner
NeBeLNeST
5uu's
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 17:01
Okay, sorry about the 4 posts in a row, but I wanted to mention that I've always been primarily a sympho lover.  But I've always had a part of me that loves the dissonant, abstract, and dark crazy side of prog (does that describe this thread?  LOL ).  But not all of it appeals to me and so I've been trying lately to ease my way into more of this type of music (and by lately, I mean the past 10 years, Embarrassed LOL).  I actually have pretty broad interests when it comes to prog (and music in general), I even like some Neo Shocked LOL (and I think my first taste of avante type of music was Zappa, who's stuff I love mostly......with some I just can't listen to.....but such a brilliant composer and musican). 

So anyway, all your suggestions are very helpful and I appreciate it, thanks!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 17:05
Pocket Orchestra

I know I mentioned them previously but they have everything.

Chamber prog
Symphonic
Jazz rock/fusion

Plus lots of avant-prog too.

The only problem is that they're very difficult to find.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 17:07
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Pocket Orchestra
Cartoon
PFS

There's three more.

Plus more Belgian:

Cro Magnon
Julverne (although they're more prog-folk)
X-Legged Sally

And don't forget:

Far Corner
NeBeLNeST
5uu's

Oooo, stuff I've never heard of Big smile  Always exciting for me!  Actually, the last 3 I've heard of, and I have a Far Corner album, Endangered.   Some of it I really like, some not so much (another one I need to spin some more).  NeBeLNeST I saw at Nearfest, but they didn't so much for me.  I haven't heard 5uu's, but I have chatted with Dave Kerman several times Big smile  (and loved his performance with Presant at Nearfest).

But thanks for the new-to-me names!  I think I've heard of Julverne before, and I like prog-folk, so they are one I'll look into (actually, I've heard of X-Legged Sally too, but didn't know what genre they were or anything about them).

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 17:13
I forgot to mention Jono El Grande as well.

So add them to the list.

I'm not that keen on Far Corner.  NeBeLNeST are a little better though.

Oh, another Kerman band you should check out: U Totem

Addendum:

Oh and you need and mean, absolutely need:

Ahvak - Ahvak

I love that album.

I also fully endorse the recommendations for Sotos and Zaar as well.

Edited by James - July 16 2009 at 17:14
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 18:50
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

Okay, I'm a big fan of Belgian RIO bands (Univers Zero, Present) and also enjoy Thinking Plague and Miriador.  But that's really as far as I've gotten with RIO stuff.

So, for someone who loves dark chamber type stuff, what else would you guys recommend?

thanks!

I don't see Art Zoyd listed there ...their first 3 albums are absolute masterworks of the genre Thumbs Up

Excellent.  I've certainly heard of them, but will check them out immediately, thanks!

My favorite RIO band (also, along with Magma and Can, my favorite band). I say atleast their first four first albums are essential.

Listening to the songs on the site now...........excellent stuff.  I may have to get me some of their albums soon.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 21:13
Also, if you like the Japanese scene, try:

Lacrymosa
Zypressen
Salle Gaveau
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocktopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 05:08

Listening to the songs on the site now...........excellent stuff.  I may have to get me some of their albums soon.

Try this on as well.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 06:34
Just a couple more recommendations. Any Thinking Plague fan has no excuse not to check out the best Avant-Prog album of the year so far - Cheer-Accident's "Fear Draws Misfortune".

I'd also like to suggest that you explore the lighter, more tongue-in-cheek side of RIO by checking out "Maltid" Samla Mammas Manna and Aksak Maboul's "Un Peu De L'Ame Des Bandits". The latter also has a chamber-like focus, but also dips its toes into some other weird musical waters.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 06:59
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Just a couple more recommendations. Any Thinking Plague fan has no excuse not to check out the best Avant-Prog album of the year so far - Cheer-Accident's "Fear Draws Misfortune".

I'd also like to suggest that you explore the lighter, more tongue-in-cheek side of RIO by checking out "Maltid" Samla Mammas Manna and Aksak Maboul's "Un Peu De L'Ame Des Bandits". The latter also has a chamber-like focus, but also dips its toes into some other weird musical waters.

Ahh, yes, I do have "Maltid" (and one other).  Great stuff.  Another one I forgot I had (this is a problem with huge CD collections, lol).

I will check out the other you mention.  Cheer Accident has had a couple recommendations so far, so I'll have to give that a listen as well.  Thanks!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 09:00

I'd also like to suggest that you explore the lighter, more tongue-in-cheek side of RIO

And in that spirit, we would be remiss not to mention Etron Fou Leloublan.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 09:26
AHVAK is an incredible band who have Dave kerman on drums.Angular guitar,piano lots of acoustic chamber music along with electric instruments.They mix it up well.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 15:30
Originally posted by <font size=3>sinkadotentree</font> sinkadotentree wrote:

AHVAK is an incredible band who have Dave kerman on drums.Angular guitar,piano lots of acoustic chamber music along with electric instruments.They mix it up well.

Seconded.

And great review you wrote by the way, I'll copy it here for you:

Ahvak
Ahvak RIO/Avant-Prog

Review by sinkadotentree
Prog Reviewer

5 stars It just doesn't get much better than this.Electric chamber music with some acoustic moments all under the control of engineer Udi Koomran and his computer.This makes it difficult to know what i'm hearing at times.Udi has worked with a lot of bands over the years including PRESENT.Dave Kerman adds his drumming and percussion skills,he also helped Udi produce it. AHVAK means "Dust" in Hebrew.UNIVERS ZERO is the band i kept thinking of the most while listening to this incredible album over this past week. "Vivisektzia" sounds so amazing a minute in with the percussion,angular guitar and flute that follows.So much going on here.Drums join in before 2 1/2 minutes and more angular guitar.Incredible! An eerie calm follows as spoken words come in.It kicks back in before 6 minutes with piano leading the way.Pounding drums and what sounds like mellotron before 8 minutes.What a track! "Bherta" kicks in before a minute with a great sound.The tempo starts to shift back and forth wildly. "Regaim" is very acoustic like early UNIVERS ZERO.Lots of piano and flute. "Ahvak" is a monster.Heavy drums pound slowly to open as strange sounds come and go.It kicks in before 3 minutes with some really good bass.Just a fantastic sound! Frequent tempo shifts follow.Spoken processed words 4 1/2 minutes in.Check out the sounds rising and falling inside the soundscape a minute later.Brilliant.Here we go again after 7 minutes as the mood and tempo continue to change.Spoken words 11 minutes in.Killer sound after 14 minutes. "Melet" features some beautiful and intricate guitar to open as other sounds start to come and go,Cool song. "Hamef Ahakim" kicks in quickly then settles just as fast.Drums,angular guitar and flute follow as it picks back up.It turns dark before 3 minutes.It's like the sound is going in circles after 6 minutes.A calm a minute later.It's building to an uptempo sound with drums leading the way,more guitar too."Pirzool" is a short track with samples and strange sounds. This is the best album that i've heard that's come out of the country of Isreal.I am so impressed,i wish everyone could hear this album.

Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Capricorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I'd also like to suggest that you explore the lighter, more tongue-in-cheek side of RIO

And in that spirit, we would be remiss not to mention Etron Fou Leloublan.

seconded Approve
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 10:08
The new miRthkon is awesome.
David/Trouserpress
, you should get it!!
Whacky, dynamic, humouristic, weird, crazy, jazzy, relentless....

www.myspace.com/mirthkon

www.mirthkon.com

Review is underway, and once they're added here in PA, I'll post it.

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 11:26
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

David/Trouserpress
, you should get it!!

www.myspace.com/mirthkon

www.mirthkon.com

Noice! I'll be sure to pick this up when I've the pounds to spare. Is anyone handling their PA addition yet?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 11:32
I was, as Bart Simpson said, going to "try to try".  I'd certainly welcome any input for a bio.

I believe they have an EP and now this full album, and that's it?
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Capricorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 11:43
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

David/Trouserpress
, you should get it!!

www.myspace.com/mirthkon

www.mirthkon.com

superb! ...the clarinet is intoxicating Approve
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 12:04
Cheer to Cheer-Accident latestClap
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 161>