Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Oh, that's a double LP collection of San Francisco tribal house music from 20 years ago Star 
Nice, anywhere where I can check it out?

Yes drive down to Virginia to argo's house and listen to it......LOL
No thanks. LOL
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogmoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 11:55
I can't really vouch for vinyl being better than digital or not. I think the equipment we were playing the vinyl on had a lot to do with it. One thing I do know though - I sure as hell miss going through all those vinyl albums at the record store - I practically lived in that store as a kid. And the artwork used to make me wonder what sort of music those albums held. Curiosity did indeed kill the cat. And my bank account along with it.
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:13
Originally posted by Moogmoods Moogmoods wrote:

I can't really vouch for vinyl being better than digital or not. I think the equipment we were playing the vinyl on had a lot to do with it. One thing I do know though - I sure as hell miss going through all those vinyl albums at the record store - I practically lived in that store as a kid. And the artwork used to make me wonder what sort of music those albums held. Curiosity did indeed kill the cat. And my bank account along with it.

We don't want to go there on this thread.....That is not why it was created or why we come here. That could be left for another area. Smile

We are a warm and inviting group and are glad you are here Big smile...We all come here to discuss our wants, collections and discoveries with this media.

You are like me, I spent countless hours in record stores while growing up in the 70's, spending all my lawn mowing money, birthday and Christmas money on records......It is still a lot of fun to flip thru the used bins as well as all the new records being released....Clap

Welcome!
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogmoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:18
Thx for the welcome - and I wasn't trying to start a war over the merits of vinyl versus digital. To be quite honest half the time I can't tell the difference. Interesting forum so far!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:28
Originally posted by Roxbrough Roxbrough wrote:

Can anyone tell me how LP records justify costing £30?

Not sure about the UK......but prices today are in line with inflation and the cost of money as compared to the mid-late 70's when I was buying tons of vinyl here in the US.

I looked up (and there are many) inflation calculators to see what I spent back then for a LP compared to today. I remember paying US$7-9 for a single LP, sometimes store sales were at $6.99 per LP, in the mid to late 70's.....based on that, today that money is about US$26.00

I am averaging about US$25-$30 for an LP today, keep in mind that also is for normally a 180g weight version, I have no problem with the cost of vinyl today.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:32

Thx for the welcome - and I wasn't trying to start a war over the merits of vinyl versus digital. To be quite honest half the time I can't tell the difference. Interesting forum so far!

Sorry my bad........I am having a piece of sh*t day at work today and came off a tad harsh Wink. Hang out here we are a good bunch of lads and love our analog, vinyl media for many reasons...Prog on vinyl is amazing IMO, just the artwork on a 12"x12" gatefold is brilliant to look at.

Cheers!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:39

I'm looking for In A Glass House, and the cheapest one I've seen is $20.00, though it looks pretty beaten up. Even though I don't care that much about the sleeve, it is still pretty cool and it says it's a UK original. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROG-ROCK-LP-GENTLE-GIANT-IN-A-GLASS-HOUSE-WWA-002-/371154985715?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item566a8fa2f3

Hmm...seems pricey, look it up on Discogs and see what the price ranges have been.....A lot of used record stores use Discogs to set prices.
That cover is in bad shape....
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogmoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 13:14

Sorry my bad........I am having a piece of sh*t day at work today and came off a tad harsh Wink. Hang out here we are a good bunch of lads and love our analog, vinyl media for many reasons...Prog on vinyl is amazing IMO, just the artwork on a 12"x12" gatefold is brilliant to look at.

Cheers!

No sweat my friend - no offence taken since none was intended.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 14:27

I can't really vouch for vinyl being better than digital or not.
That would depend on what "better" means in your book. People listen to the music for pleasure; it's an aesthetic experience. I do not think you can quantify and rate your enjoyment in microsiemens, nanofarads or kilohertz. I like vinyl because listening to it makes me feel better than listening to e.g. MP3 - which is a reasonable enough justification for me to accept extra costs, associated with that. 

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:04
In the early to mid seventies I bought most of my albums at Music Plus or Licorice Pizza (two record store chains) and at a couple of independent record stores.

I regularly paid $4.98 for single albums.
But, gas was less than fifty cents per gallon and a McDonald's hamburger cost fifteen cents.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:17
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

In the early to mid seventies I bought most of my albums at Music Plus or Licorice Pizza (two record store chains) and at a couple of independent record stores.

I regularly paid $4.98 for single albums.
But, gas was less than fifty cents per gallon and a McDonald's hamburger cost fifteen cents.

I remember both those stores, I also shopped at Warehouse Records and late 70's was Tower Records, they had the best import section. Most of my Scorpions albums are Japanese pressed RCA issues with original issue covers....so you will not see me post a picture of my Virgin Killers album Shocked. Those I know I paid more for, but well worth it....
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:32
I am a big fan of Scorpions, especially when Ulrich Roth was in the band.
I have a copy of Love Drive with the banned 'tit and bubblegum' cover. The label took the copies they had and put them in colored shrink wrap with a sticker that had the title and the band name.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:37
^ Yup, I have both the cover versions......also have both versions of Animal Magnetism

Found this sales ad from 1981 Warehouse Records & Tapes, Seattle area stores.

photo 1981-04-10SeattleTimes.jpg
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:44
That is very cool. 
Those were the days for record shopping.
I remember CBS Records used to have a parking lot sale which had a swap meet type set up with rows of individual sellers. I think it happened once a month.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 18:06
Examples Of Twelves .. The Way Things Were

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 18:56

I'm looking for In A Glass House, and the cheapest one I've seen is $20.00, though it looks pretty beaten up. Even though I don't care that much about the sleeve, it is still pretty cool and it says it's a UK original. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROG-ROCK-LP-GENTLE-GIANT-IN-A-GLASS-HOUSE-WWA-002-/371154985715?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item566a8fa2f3

Hmm...seems pricey, look it up on Discogs and see what the price ranges have been.....A lot of used record stores use Discogs to set prices.
That cover is in bad shape....

Again, I don't care very much about the cover. I will go check out discogs to see, thanks. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 18:59
Quick Update:
Even more pricey, yikes Shocked
I think the beaten up one is a better deal for me. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 20:12
^ go for it, then. You may find it very liberating to own beat up stuff Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 22:41

Quick Update:
Even more pricey, yikes Shocked
I think the beaten up one is a better deal for me. 

I say buy it then.......
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 04:31
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Roxbrough Roxbrough wrote:

Can anyone tell me how LP records justify costing £30?
It depends on the LP Tongue

Your favourite LP then?
Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 312>