Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 star ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 06:47
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Give more weight to people who write reviews rather than just clicking on a rating.

Actually, perhaps ironically and based on what has already been said in this thread, an argument can be made that one should give less weight to people who write reviews and more weight to those who just clicked on a rating. This is because reviews are biased towards higher ratings due to the tendency to only write reviews for albums that are liked, in contrast to ratings only, which due to the ease of clicking on a rating, is more likely to produced a balanced average.

Which in reality is not quite the case I don't think ... if people did not give as much weight to the reviews, a lot of the "stars" in the music business would lose listeners left and right! But why would USA Today do a complete something or other on this "star", unless they did not have any INTEREST in doing so ... which they do, and it is a very large interest in the business.

It's likely that the ratings will send the "reviews" to the trash ... as it is very clear here in the poll sections when people will vote for one choice, the one they heard, and the other nine can not get a single vote ... it's the same problem we were facing in the 70's  with a lot of progressive music in the FM radio ... because Guy Guden (Space Pirate Radio -- and Guy should have got the gold record for GG, Supertramp and Golden Earring!) could write another Moby Dick about some of the bs surrounding playing a lot of these things ... up to and including some of the most inane and base comments ever ... from people who obviously did not even listen to music ... they only heard 5 songs! Their favorites!

That does NOT make them qualified to review, and neither does it make them qualified to rate! Which begs the question ... why are you into listening to "prog/progressive" music? Because it's another hit?

Edited by moshkito - October 30 2019 at 06:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 06:58
I still haven't written a 5-star review, but then again I only did ~25-30 reviews. I definitely agree with the premise, 5 star rating should be awarded sparingly... But I could see some bias when it comes to dearest bands, life-chaning stuff. For example, if I were to review King Crimson's catalogue, I'd have a hard time not to give a 5 star rating to all 1969-73 releases, especially for the fact how they resonated with me in the past. Even today, I find pretty much all these albums five star worthy...

All in all, I presume there would be 30+ albums I'd grant five stars without a question, not counting stuff that shouldn't really be on Progarchives (technical extreme metal, jazz, 70s hard rock etc.)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 07:30
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I still haven't written a 5-star review, but then again I only did ~25-30 reviews. I definitely agree with the premise, 5 star rating should be awarded sparingly... But I could see some bias when it comes to dearest bands, life-chaning stuff. For example, if I were to review King Crimson's catalogue, I'd have a hard time not to give a 5 star rating to all 1969-73 releases, especially for the fact how they resonated with me in the past. Even today, I find pretty much all these albums five star worthy...

All in all, I presume there would be 30+ albums I'd grant five stars without a question, not counting stuff that shouldn't really be on Progarchives (technical extreme metal, jazz, 70s hard rock etc.)

I've awarded about 18 albums with 5 stars and could easily double that amount but at least were not into the multiple 100s. Some albums do warrant it.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 07:40
Lets say a reviewers favorite band has been together 40 years and has put out 20 albums. Reviewer has all the albums. Now there is no way all 20 albums can be five stars. So will the reviewer only hand pick only what they want out of the bands entire output, so they all get five stars? I don't think this is fair to those reading the reviews. There is no benchmark of what the reviewer would rate less than stellar, and that makes me cautious to trust the reviewer's opinion. 

Other have mentioned they only review what they like. What about bands that send you material you are unfamiliar with? I'm sure the more active PA reviewers receive solicitations often. Do you not review it if you don't like it? 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 07:47

I've reviewed or rated every Fairport Convention album, about 40 studio albums, with about 3 being 5 star reviews but I must admit that it was difficult as I've had to listen to some of the clunkers more then a few times. At least it's done, but I wish a few others would review these albums in order to have a broader view of the albums that only I reviewed.

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2019 at 08:23
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I've reviewed or rated every Fairport Convention album, about 40 studio albums, with about 3 being 5 star reviews but I must admit that it was difficult as I've had to listen to some of the clunkers more then a few times. At least it's done, but I wish a few others would review these albums in order to have a broader view of the albums that only I reviewed.

I won't be reviewing any albums by Fairport Convention because they're too conventional. Tongue

Seriously though, if I were to review their albums, I'd give the first album with Judy Dyble a four star rating and all of Sandy Denny's albums with Fairport a four star rating too. After that classic period though, I wasn't keen on Fairport Convention's output without a female lead singer, so they'd rank as three star albums for me at best.

Can I rate an album without needing to write a review for it?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 09:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I won't be reviewing any albums by Fairport Convention because they're too conventional. Tongue

Seriously though, if I were to review their albums, I'd give the first album with Judy Dyble a four star rating and all of Sandy Denny's albums with Fairport a four star rating too. After that classic period though, I wasn't keen on Fairport Convention's output without a female lead singer, so they'd rank as three star albums for me at best.

You would rate Full House with Thompson and Swarb at the top of their game at 3 stars? That kinda figures.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 09:57

You would rate Full House with Thompson and Swarb at the top of their game at 3 stars? That kinda figures.

Yes, I've listened to the "Full House" album in full and I couldn't honestly give it better than a three star rating because I don't rank it nearly as highly as the three Sandy Denny Fairport albums that preceded it. Conversely, you may not like some of the albums I awarded the full five stars to in my recent reviews, but that's okay. Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 10:58

Yes, I've listened to the "Full House" album in full and I couldn't honestly give it better than a three star rating because I don't rank it nearly as highly as the three Sandy Denny Fairport albums that preceded it. Conversely, you may not like some of the albums I awarded the full five stars to in my recent reviews, but that's okay. Wink

Call me a Philistine if thou wilt, who would not know a top of the game if it hit me hard in the top of my head (or can't divorce my subjective experience from an objective analysis), but I both prefer and would rate the earlier albums higher myself. Liege & Lief and Unhalfbrickling have been my favourites.   They resonate more with me; therefore, I would rate those higher.

I like the debut a lot too, but it's quite different. I might argue too that Lief and Lief might be more likely to engage from a progressive folk perspective than Full House and therefore be more likely to appeal to a Prog audience (not that one is asked to follow prog expectations in the descriptions for the albums of acts included in Prog Related). I could be wrong as it's been a while since I last listened to Full House, but that was my impression, and I would have given it a three star rating myself.

Liege and Leaf has been top of Fairport Convention's game for me (ah, but I am a lowly gamin) based on the first five -- I don't know other FC albums as well --, but that is a subjective statement, and l'm not comfortable making such qualitative statements. Even L&L would only get a four from me, simply because I'm more into other folk of folky acts in PA such as Spiroyra, Comus, Perry Leopold, Catherine Ribeiro + 2 Bis as well as Alpes,, Linda Perhacs, Vashti Bunyan, Pentangle, The Incredible String Band, Trees, Forest, Jan Dukes de Grey, Sergius Golowin, Tim Buckley, These Trails, Third Ear Band, Pearls Before Swine, It's a Beautiful Day, Faun Fables.... And outside of PA, I'd rate Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Extradition's Hush, Mark Fry's Dreaming With Alice, The Wicker Man soundtrack, the first two Exuma albums, and various others higher too.

Fairport Convention does seem rather too conventional to me often. To each his or her own tastes and ratings.

Going off on some tangents to that: Some, I have too, have adjusted their ratings in accordance with what they see as the general consensus of an album's worth, but I don't find value in that. That just perpetuates a canon of seeming quality, even if not really deserved, or at least deserved according to your tastes. So, for instance, I don't much like Yes' Close to the Edge album -- I would not like to give it five stars despite an almost mythical status amongst many here. For my tastes it would be a two, but I probably would give it a three. Not being much of a fan of a lot of mainstream Prog, I also would rate those lower per my tastes. When one strives to be objective by basing one's ratings on how one finds other's perceive the quality of it, or how one thinks others will rate the merit, that can be a less than satisfactory strategy. Describing the qualities is better than making claims of quality if trying to be objective.

Just because one claims that Full House as the peak of FC, does not mean that I should not find (no need for a claim) Liege & Lief to be the peak and adjust my ratings to fit better with another's opinions (I'm not in the minority in that case). I like sincerity, and honestly rating it by how much you enjoy it seems preferable to me than trying to follow the herd and fit in.

On another note: I would rather avoid reading other's critiques before I write my own because I wouldn't want to be too influenced by others opinion (or risk being less original in my writing). If I'm working on, say, a research paper, I take a different approach.

Edited by Logan - October 30 2019 at 11:27
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 11:26
I didn't say that Fairport was at their peak with Full House, only that Swarbrick and Thompson were, as players actually, and particularly as a songwriting duo. They were stellar. What constitutes Fairport's peak is open depending on which of group musicians made up certain lineups. I prefer the Full House line up over the Liege and Leif line up but only Mondays and Wednesdays. I flip back to the L&L lineup when I hear the album. LOL 

But this is what differentiates you and Paul from me. I'm not a Fairport Convention fan and never was. I do appreciate folk rock and prog folk and that's why I reviewed their albums. Not really caring for the group, I still rated 3 of their albums with 5 stars. I may not have liked them but I know genius when I hear it. And when I don't.

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2019 at 11:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 11:36
Logan, you have remarkably similar tastes in Acid/Psych-Folk to mine because I like all of those artists you mentioned in your third paragraph above. The only artist I hadn't previously heard of or listened to are  Faun Fables, although I'm sure I would like them too. Smile

I totally agree with your last point where it's better to write a review for an album first before reading what others have written, so as not to be unduly influenced by other opinions and ratings beforehand.

I'm glad you're in agreement with me on Fairport Convention's "Full House" album not being worthy of more than three stars on the grounds that it's too conventional. Wink
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 12:20
"As being responsible for the team I can't afford to see things subjectively. Generally I try to recognise whether the subjectively stated opinions of the players are subjective or objective. If they are subjective, I will stick to my objective ones. If they are objective, I will think and maybe will incorporate the objective subjectively stated opinions of the players in my objective ones."

(Former German national football coach Erich Ribbeck, translated from German by myself.)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 12:23
^^ It's too conventional for me, and yes, I had read your post and that was a deliberate reference to it. I appreciate parallelism and references when posting-- it helps to make a thread gel.

I didn't say that Fairport was at their peak with Full House, only that Swarbrick and Thompson were, as players actually, and particularly as a songwriting duo. They were stellar. What constitutes Fairport's peak is open depending on which of group musicians made up certain lineups. I prefer the Full House line up over the Liege and Leif line up but only Mondays and Wednesdays. I flip back to the L&L lineup when I hear the album. LOL 

But this is what differentiates you and Paul from me. I'm not a Fairport Convention fan and never was. I do appreciate folk rock and prog folk and that's why I reviewed their albums. Not really caring for the group, I still rated 3 of their albums with 5 stars. I may not have liked them but I know genius when I hear it. And when I don't.

Okay, all that writing and thought, and I misunderstood you.

Some have made the argument that one should only give 5 stars to one album of an act, actually I think it was me being contrarian at one time, which is the one the rater deemed to be the truest masterpiece. I wouldn't do it that way, especially since many bands take new directions from album to album. Album one by X might be a masterpiece of Baroque, album two might be a masterpiece of punk/ crunk, album three of death metal/ grindcore, album four country-western, album 4 Chinese opera, and album 5 consists of advertising jingles, and each is as worthy of praise in its own way.

There is no one right approach.

I respect Fairport Convention more than I like it, but I do like it. It's rather too conventional/ mainstream for me, and the act is not quite as eclectic as I might wish. I commonly prefer more "out-there" folk music, and also more pastoral folk music. I much prefer a huge amount of folk music (I'd take Donovan over it and a great many others). I recognise that the music is very well-made as well, and that would be reflected in my rating, but more importantly it would be reflected in my review if I wrote one.

I wouldn't write reviews of Fairport Convention (well, unless someone paid me in which case I would) as there are others of which I would rather bring attention. I might write a review for These Trails at some time as it has no reviews, or ratings in PA. I love it, but would give it only a four as I do see flaws, and it is more of a curiosity.

I love the famously bad, primitive as it is sometimes called, album The Shaggs' Philosophy of the World and don't know how I'd rate it. If it magically appears on April 1st, and I find the time, I may give it a glowing five star review extolling the excellence of the musicianship and composition, and try to make my review seem as erudite as possible.

I would much rather have my ratings and reviews separate. With film, I preferred review sources that did not rate the films in the reviews.

I'd rather my ratings purely reflect on my tastes. Looking at my reviewer page tells people about the kind of music I've been into, well mostly from a decade ago, and so if another has similar tastes, they might easily find a kindred spirit and use my ratings as some guide -- as I did with a member called Rocktopus; his ratings influenced my musical exploration. I also find such lists useful for forum activities, since I can better recommend music that fits someone's tastes if I have a list as a reference.

Looking at an individual's ratings is a little window into people's psychology, I might say. I'd rather the rating tell me about the individual's taste, and in a review they can be more objective by writing about specific qualities of the music, reference points etc. I like reviews best that describe the music well, and mention similar music, so I can more readily tell if it's going to be something of interest to me, and If I like that what other music I should look into. As for the ratings as recommendations, at least in PA, I want to see if their tastes seem to match mine, so if I, say, see a five star rating for an album I adore, I may look to the reviewer's page to see how well our tastes match by glancing through the ratings. If people don't rate according to their appreciation, then such lists of ratings are not as useful to me.

I do commonly prefer it when people rate according to their enjoyment as it has worked better with my strategies for discovering music and getting to know forum member's tastes more easily. To be honest, I rarely bother reading reviews (I generally would prefer brief descriptions of the music). The reviews I tend to dislike are those that seem to be telling me what to think and feel about the music, and some ridiculous ones that present their opinions mathematically to justify the rating, and make subjective statements as if they were objective (something I don't like in forum posts either).

Edited by Logan - October 30 2019 at 12:34
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 15:22
You don't like subjectivity? My Dear Chap, you might be in the wrong place. Wink

But seriously, I understand the unease of trusting someone eases subjective appraisal. Did said person's ex wife who loved Tull take him to the cleaners in their divorce? Don't laugh, it happened to a friend of mine. And for some strange reason he hates Tull now. LOL

I whole heartily agree that there is no one right way. But your basing ratings on what a reviewer likes seems like the epitome of subjectivity. At least a question of what should be essential helps bring people down to earth. To state so would be paramount to telling another individual to expend time, effort and most all, some money to obtain a particular album. I certainly wouldn't want that on my conscience. So I feel that the reigning in of rampant 5 star reviews would work better then to say "I adore it" and to let the next fellow take his chances with your fawning over the album. 

Now, that was a bit of objective thought for you. And that's why I think the "5 star = Essential/Masterpiece" rating, though just as valid as the "5 Star = I adore it" rating, it' just a bit better. It serves a better purpose or it might serve a better purpose. After all I can't swear to it. Humans are just too bloody subjective. 

Now let's go burn I our Fairport albums and get pissed.

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2019 at 15:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 15:35

You don't like subjectivity? My Dear Chap, you might be in the wrong place. Wink

On the contrary, as I understood it from reading Logan's thoughtful and well-considered post, he DOES prefer reviewers to be subjective and give their own personal opinion when reviewing an album. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 15:43
This is Logan's last statement of his post and I quote:

Logan Said: ".. I tend to dislike are those that seem to be telling me what to think and feel about the music, and some ridiculous ones that present their opinions mathematically to justify the rating, and make subjective statements as if they were objective (something I don't like in forum posts either)."

Paul, I'm legally blind and I didn't miss that. Have a good night. Smile
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 15:59
yeah I'm guessing that's one area where Pedro and I are in total agreement.  Basing a rating on the mathematical average of each song's ratings is as anti-art as you can get
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 16:52
^ I said that, although Pedro might have as well somewhere. When one sees long posts, it is easy to confuse us. And sorry Steve for writing in such a long fashion considering your vision issues.

I want people to recognise their subjectivity, instead of claiming objectivity where it exists very dubiously. I'm for explicit subjectivity and not confusing what is inherently subjective for objective truth.

I have argued for ratings to be a reflection of one's taste, which is subjective, and with reviews one can take a more balanced approach. That said, if others choose to try to be objective in their ratings, fine, but due to the subjective nature of the experience, and one's expectations of what is good, which is partially due to our inculcation, but doesn't make it truth writ large, I question how successful they will be. It becomes especially difficult when one is exposed to new forms of musical expression.

Musical enjoyment is subjective, {quoting myself from another recent topic}, we all bring our own cultural baggage and expectations, intellects, life experiences, associations and psychology to the music experience. No two people experience music in an identical way as it must be translated and interpreted by our brains..., and I think based on our limits, thinking we can we really objective about the quality of music is problematic. We can be more objective when it comes to the qualities of the music.

While I do care about how the music is described, and that needn't say anything of the perceived quality of the music, I like to hear what people think in reviews, and in posts. I'm not so keen if they come across as telling me what to think and feel about the music. Please don't expect me to feel the same, or project your biases on me, but do tell me how the music affects YOU. Some balance is a good thing. It would be boring to read a review where someone is trying not to share their opinion on the music but is just trying to describe it as best they can:

"On track one it starts with trumpet. It is a G note. Then comes in a string instrument. It is a G-string. Following those things that I mentioned, there is another sound, and then another. Then other instruments play a succession of notes. There are drums too. There is a hi-hat. Then enters electric guitar. It starts with an F minor chord. This is followed by a b minor. The singer starts singing as the guitarist plays a C chord. He sings, "I".   At this point the drumming gets faster. Right after singing "I", while the drumming is happening , he sings "Want". There is the sound of a trumpet, the guitar is still playing as are the drums, the drumming is still fast with many beats. Following "Want", at a higher pitch now, he sings "This", more bass, then he sings "Song", drums, guitar and bass play in sync, then "To", there is a farting noise before it finishes with the last line of the verse, "End". Then he sings "I want this song to end" again, but not for the last time".
Now that's a review I would want to end before it even started.

EDIT: Micky once tried to make the most objective review and rating ever for an album he hated by simply copying what others said, as I recall, but in doing so I would say that he merely duplicated others subjectivity. I'd rather a sincere, and explicitly subjective rating and review -- a review that tells me something about the reviewer. In part I'm saying let's bare our subjectivity explicitly, even if it gets rated R for, um, I'm usually good with finding the right synonym for the right letter, um, I'll cheat with eccentRic.

If I write a review I will share my perspective on the album, I just won't claim that my perspective is absolute truth, even if it is a sort of subjective truth. And if I get rated X for eXentric by those who feel differently, so be it. To each his or her own tastes, one man's trash is another man's treasure, one man's fish is another man's poisson, to err is human; to purr feline, to bark; canine, my old man's a mushroom etc.

Edited by Logan - October 30 2019 at 17:40
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 17:32
^ oh I knew it was you, Greg.  Your mentioning of the mathematical formula for rating reminded me how much I abhor even seeing it in a review.   I suppose there is nothing specifically wrong with rating each song but the idea that the album rating can be inferred from the average of the individual song ratings is something only an entirely left brained person could accept, and I would surmise that the quality of the review itself might reflect that  Confused
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 17:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I said that, although Pedro might have as well somewhere. When one sees long posts, it is easy to confuse us. And sorry Steve for writing in such a long fashion considering your vision issues.

I want people to recognise their subjectivity, instead of claiming objectivity where it exists very dubiously. I'm for explicit subjectivity and not confusing what is inherently subjective for objective truth.

I have argued for ratings to be a reflection of one's taste, which is subjective, and with reviews one can take a more balanced approach. That said, if others choose to try to be objective in their ratings, fine, but due to the subjective nature of the experience, and one's expectations of what is good, which is partially due to our inculcation, but doesn't make it truth writ large, I question how successful they will be. It becomes especially difficult when one is exposed to new forms of musical expression.

Musical enjoyment is subjective, {quoting myself from another recent topic}, we all bring our own cultural baggage and expectations, intellects, life experiences, associations and psychology to the music experience. No two people experience music in an identical way as it must be translated and interpreted by our brains..., and I think based on our limits, thinking we can we really objective about the quality of music is problematic. We can be more objective when it comes to the qualities of the music.

While I do care about how the music is described, and that needn't say anything of the perceived quality of the music, I like to hear what people think in reviews, and in posts. I'm not so keen if they come across as telling me what to think and feel about the music. Please don't expect me to feel the same, or project your biases on me, but do tell me how the music affects YOU. Some balance is a good thing. It would be boring to read a review where someone is trying not to share their opinion on the music but is just trying to describe it as best they can:

"On track one it starts with trumpet. It is a G note. Then comes in a string instrument. It is a G-string. Following those things that I mentioned, there is another sound, and then another. Then other instruments play a succession of notes. There are drums too. There is a hi-hat. Then enters electric guitar. It starts with an F minor chord. This is followed by a b minor. The singer starts singing as the guitarist plays a C chord. He sings, "I".   At this point the drumming gets faster. Right after singing "I", while the drumming is happening , he sings "Want". There is the sound of a trumpet, the guitar is still playing as are the drums, the drumming is still fast with many beats. Following "Want", at a higher pitch now, he sings "This", more bass, then he sings "Song", drums guitar and bass play in sync, then "To", there is a farting noise before it finishes with the last line of the verse, "End". Then he sings "I want this song to end" again, but not for the last time".
Now that's a review I would want to end before it even started.

EDIT: Micky once tried to make the most objective review and rating ever for an album he hated by simply copying what others said, as I recall, but in doing so I would say that he merely duplicated others subjectivity. I'd rather a sincere, and explicitly subjective rating and review -- a review that tells me something about the reviewer. In part I'm saying let's bare our subjectivity explicitly, even if it gets rated R for, um, I'm usually good with finding the right synonym for the right letter, um, I'll cheat with eccentRic.

If I write a review I will share my perspective on the album, I just won't claim that my perspective is absolute truth, even if it is a sort of subjective truth. And if I get rated X for eXentric by those who feel differently, so be it. To each his or her own tastes, one man's trash is another man's treasure, one man's fish is another man's poisson, to err is human; to purr canine, to bark; canine, my old man's a mushroom etc.

About objective and subjective evaluation, and mathematically judgement:

"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>