Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 52>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 03:09
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Roger Waters is a jackass.

Wait...obscure?
Keep it nice please.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 04:10
Originally posted by popski3125 popski3125 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Carl Palmer on Jerusalem:

"We wanted to put it out as a single. We figured it was worthy of a single. In England, they have this format where four or five people have to veto it in before it gets played on the airwaves; it's a very old-fashioned way of doing it, but that's the way it was being done at the time. I think there was some apprehension to whether or not we should be playing a hymn and b*****dizing it, as they said, or whatever was being called at the time. I think it got rejected, I recall. We thought we'd done it spot-on, and I thought that was very sad because I've got a jukebox at home, and that's a piece of music that I've got on the jukebox, so I actually thought the recording and just the general performances from all of us were absolutely wonderful. I couldn't believe the small-mindedness of the English, sort of, whatever-they-are, committee to vote these things onto the radio or off the radio. They could even, really, they obviously didn't even listen to this. It got banned and there was sort of quite a big thing about it, these people just would not play it. They said no, it was a hymn, and we had taken it the wrong way."
Ah, so, it wasn't actually banned by the BBC, it just didn't make the playlist.

Wikipedia says it wasn't released as a single in the UK - it was, I own a copy and it's not an import.

At that time, not being on the playlist was the equivalent of being banned.  Carl Palmer is right in thinking that the committee did not listen to it - 10cc's Rubber Bullets was banned originally on the grounds that it must be about Northern Ireland (the ban was withdrawn after the BBC admitted they hadn't bothered to listen to it).

Not being on the playlist was not equivalent to being banned  - the playlist (in 1973) was for daytime programming - the single could have been played by any of the evening DJs on their programmes (John Peel, Pete Drumond, Annie Nightingale, Bob Harris, Tommy Vance etc.) - the "problem" with that for ELP and Manticore was daytime radio was necessary if you wanted to have a hit single.... and to be honest, it was never going to be a hit anyway (even in 1973).
What?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 04:34
The members of the classic Romanian prog-folk band Phoenix managed to run away from the country in 1976 being hidden inside their gear (bass drum, speakers, amplifiers, etc.)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 05:14
Originally posted by chefrobb chefrobb wrote:

Karn Evil 9 was the music for the local evening news in LA in the mid 70's.

Probably not that obscure for British TV viewers but KE9 was also used as the theme tune for The Generation Game when Jim Davidson (a big ELP fan) was the host. Strangely they used a live version where Lake's voice sounds a bit odd and for a while I thought it was a cover.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 05:26
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Probably not that obscure for British TV viewers but KE9 was also used as the theme tune for The Generation Game when Jim Davidson (a big ELP fan) was the host. Strangely they used a live version where Lake's voice sounds a bit odd and for a while I thought it was a cover.

I think its a redone version for the show.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 05:38
You could be right Ian, but it does sound like the live version from this

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 05:43

You could be right Ian, but it does sound like the live version from this

What is this^? I'll look later in the database
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 05:55

I seem to recall at some point in the '80s there was a short-lived newsmagazine show, hosted by Connie Chung I think, that used Rush's "Mystic Rhythms" as its theme music.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 10:16
Alan Parsons played the Jaws Harp on the track "Lady Loves" from Barclay James Harvest's "Once Again".
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lozlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 10:41
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Wait...obscure?
Keep it nice please.

K.

Roger Waters is a fine, upstanding gentleman who loves kittens and babies and infant Beluga whales.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinusW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 11:49

Wait...obscure?
Keep it nice please.

K.

Roger Waters is a fine, upstanding gentleman who loves kittens and babies and infant Beluga whales.

LOL
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ferush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 15:19
The employers, managers, promoters and the records-label they decide who is going or coming into a band. Money talks.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 16:49
Originally posted by ferush ferush wrote:

The employers, managers, promoters and the records-label they decide who is going or coming into a band. Money talks.
How is this applicable in this case?
What?
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ergaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 18:59

Wait...obscure?
Keep it nice please.

K.

*snrk*
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
Ahmadbarqawi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahmadbarqawi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 08:47
Joe Lynn Turner (of Rainbow fame); was the singer for a band called "Fandango" before joining Rainbow; and the guitarist for that band (Fandango) had a name that is oddly similar to Turner's future employer, the guitarist's name was: Ricky Blakemore Big smile
{Flashlights shade shrunken views
Of a red demon’s foxtrot in brews
Guns & flowers crown morning news
Panic-stricken guilt now ensues}
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 08:51
One of David Gilmour's sons have been arrested last week during the incidents between students and police in London following the increase of taxes for university approved by the parliament . Is he Gilmour's or Waters' son ?Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 08:58
Steven Wilson has stated emphatically that he hates ipods for a variety of reasons and on several occasions has publicly destroyed ipods, once smashing one with a hammer. Does anyone know his number one reason?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 09:00
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

One of David Gilmour's sons have been arrested last week during the incidents between students and police in London following the increase of taxes for university approved by the parliament . Is he Gilmour's or Waters' son ?Big smile
He's adopted. Pig

(His biological father is Heathcote Williams)

Edited by Dean - December 16 2010 at 09:05
What?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 15:27

On that note, the first couple bars of Vangelis' "Pulstar" from Albedo 0.39 was the theme music for a Spanish language news network based in Los Angeles in the '70s & '80s.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 16:49
May not be to obscure but my eyebrow was raised when I learned that Richard Palmer-James, one of King Crimsons lyricist, is a founding member of Supertramp. On a similar note, Ian McDonald, one of KC's founding members, also started Foreigner. These facts are probably already know but I did not see them mentioned...

The Snow Goose was not the original book Camel was using for inspiration, it actually started out being a novel titled Siddhartha.

Around the 48 minute mark in Amarok you can hear Morse code, the message is "F*** Off RB" RB standing for Richard Branson the owner of Virgin. Oldfield had stated that Amarok contained a secret message and that anyone who found would receive a cash prize paid by Oldfield himself.

Another lesser known one is that Max Bacon of GTR fame was on a show in the 80's called New Faces, something like an American Idol where contestants preformed and judges scored them. While on the show Max preformed songs from the GTR album along with a song he did with Mike Oldfield. None of this was mentioned on the show, for it was an attempt at relaunching his career after GTR disbanded... he was not successful and lost in the final stage of the show.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 52>