Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 09:43
Hinduism and Buddhism + Christaian and Eastern Philosophy of Art by Ananda Kentish Coomaraswamy.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 11:34
Well, I purchased Eon by Greg Bear over the weekend, so I'll probably get around to starting it over spring break.  
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glass house Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 11:58
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Recently finished Stephen Donaldson's Fatel Revenant, book 2 in the Last Chrinicles of Thomas Covonant. Absolutely brilliant, as good as any of the original trilogy.

Well, finally someone else who read that book and liking it. I just finished it and also think it is absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the last episode.

Edited by glass house - March 13 2008 at 11:59
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 12:02
Originally posted by glass house glass house wrote:

Recently finished Stephen Donaldson's Fatel Revenant, book 2 in the Last Chrinicles of Thomas Covonant. Absolutely brilliant, as good as any of the original trilogy.

Well, finally someone else who read that book and liking it. I just finished it and also think it is absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the last episode.

That's the next one on my list for reading - always been a fan of Tommy Covenant

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 09:15
I just reread all the novels of Gustav Meyrink, "The Golem", The Green Face", "Walpurgisnacht", "The White Dominican" and "The Angel of the West Window". I recommend them all, especially "The Golem", "Walpurgisnacht" and "The Angel of the West Window", his final masterpiece. All very spooky novels, occasionally with lots of humour too, especially "Walpurgisnacht", the first chapter of which is a masterpiece for the combination of comedy and horror in a way only Meyrink could do. And I am not speaking of the kind of "humour" of splatter movies, where a chopped-off head lands in a dog bowl or the likes. The way he depicts the senile noblemen and -women of Prague is timeless satire of the finest. Who else could think of sentences like "Konstantin Elsenwanger hatte sich wimmernd auf die Knie geworfen, das Gesicht in den Sitzpolstern seines Lehnstuhls vergraben, und betete, in den gefalteten Händen noch ein gebratenes Hühnerbein, das Vaterunser." ("Konstantin Elsenwanger had thrown himself whimpering on his knees, his face buried in the seat cushions of his armchair, and prayed "Our Father", in his folded hands still a fried chicken drumstick LOL").

Edited by BaldFriede - March 20 2008 at 09:17

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 10:47
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by glass house glass house wrote:

That's the next one on my list for reading - always been a fan of Tommy Covenant

Oh well - so much for that idea - same author though... just started to re-read Donaldson's 'Gap' series (5 book sci-fi epic based loosely on Wagner's Ring Cycle)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 11:58
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.  One of the most impressive, logical discussions of religious thought I've ever read.  I've known about the book for a long time but had no idea how intelligently persuasive an argument he was able to formulate in such a small book.  I am blown away.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpaceMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 16:04
Political Ponerology
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 16:14
Anthony Bourdain's  The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps and Bones

Thumbs%20Up

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 18:41
I'm reading three books at once, never a good idea.

Scott Ciencin - The Avatar Series, Book 1 - Waterdeep
Elaine Cunningham - Starlight & Shadows, Book 1 - Daughter of the Drow
Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

Edited by James - March 20 2008 at 18:41
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaeopteryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 19:04
The World Without Us -- Alan Weisman.
Christine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 19:27
I've just started reading Metamorphosis by Kafka. I can't wait!
catsfootironclaw
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 20:23
Excellent read, Christine.  I wish I could read German, because I'd love to read it in its original language.  Which translation have you got?
Novalis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 20:34
The Great Gatsby
Brave New World
Ralph Waldo Emerson: Essays and Lectures
Clap
Christine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Excellent read, Christine.  I wish I could read German, because I'd love to read it in its original language.  Which translation have you got?

Thanks. It's translation is by Stanley Corngold. I know what you mean. I remember, I was trying to translate the first chapter of a novel by Camus, & I compared it to the English translation by someone else.I realized that a lot got lost between translations. Have any suggestions?
catsfootironclaw
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 12:25
Read a bilingual edition. Even if you don't understand the original language it gives you a hint of what it was like before it was translated. I read a lot of books in a bilingual edition and always found it enhances the experience.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Christine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 15:59
Thanks. I'll look into it as soon as I'm done reading the edition I'm reading now because they don't have a bilingual version at my school. I love this thread!
catsfootironclaw
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 11:07
just finished "Tristan und Isolde" by Gottfried von Straßburg in a translation from ancient German to modern. a bit long winded in passages, but that was the style of the time

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Minizephyr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minizephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 11:27

Magic in Ancient Egypt by Christian Jacq...

Nice, though I think I need to start reading really good books... LOL
http://www.indabamusic.com/asset/show/1466419
Music by Robert Burns
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinusW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 11:30
Alternating between two books:

The Master and Margarita - Michail Bulgakov
Nausea - J.P Sartre
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 320>