Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 00:21
I have a few minutes before I put on another album so I will elaborate on my earlier comment regarding Robert Fripp.
I have nine albums by King Crimson as well as two by Fripp & Eno but there are other guitarists that I prefer.
Jeff Beck is high on my list for many reasons.
When it comes to vision and innovation his guitar work with The Yardbirds was considered at the time to be years ahead of what anyone else was doing. This was the early/mid sixties.
In The Jeff Beck Group he proved that he could play the blues as well as any of the other British blues guitarists at the time but also that he could play harder and heavier than anyone around. I Ain't Superstitious probably caused some guitarists to throw away their wah wahs and the three part instrumental Rice Pudding from Beck-Ola is one of the heaviest guitar songs I have ever heard.
Then there is the variety of styles on the instrumental album Blow By Blow. It's hard to believe that Cause We've Ended As Lovers was played by the same guitarist that played Rice Pudding.
After that he crossed over to Jazz Rock/Fusion and played on some of my favorite albums from that time.
Please do not think that I am putting down Robert Fripp or any of his accomplishments.
I just happen to prefer a different style of guitar and Jeff Beck meets (or exceeds) that preference.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:24
Vangelis - SpiralThumbs Up
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:49
^ Amazing music and cover Approve
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 09:14
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I have a few minutes before I put on another album so I will elaborate on my earlier comment regarding Robert Fripp.
I have nine albums by King Crimson as well as two by Fripp & Eno but there are other guitarists that I prefer.
Jeff Beck is high on my list for many reasons.
When it comes to vision and innovation his guitar work with The Yardbirds was considered at the time to be years ahead of what anyone else was doing. This was the early/mid sixties.
In The Jeff Beck Group he proved that he could play the blues as well as any of the other British blues guitarists at the time but also that he could play harder and heavier than anyone around. I Ain't Superstitious probably caused some guitarists to throw away their wah wahs and the three part instrumental Rice Pudding from Beck-Ola is one of the heaviest guitar songs I have ever heard.
Then there is the variety of styles on the instrumental album Blow By Blow. It's hard to believe that Cause We've Ended As Lovers was played by the same guitarist that played Rice Pudding.
After that he crossed over to Jazz Rock/Fusion and played on some of my favorite albums from that time.
Please do not think that I am putting down Robert Fripp or any of his accomplishments.
I just happen to prefer a different style of guitar and Jeff Beck meets (or exceeds) that preference.

I am in this boat too.......Fripp has a great creative mind, what he has done is wonderful, but he just does not blow me away with the 6-string, never has.

Beck is brilliance.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 10:14
^^^He is at the top of my list along with Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore, Ulrich Roth, Al Di Meola and on and on.
I've been into these guitarists since the 60s and 70s but someone more recent would be Vinnie Moore.
Defying Gravity is a great collection of songs from mellow to hot.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 13:10
I love Uli Roth........I am a huge Scorps fan, love his playing....his singing though.....Dead
LOL
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 13:30
I agree 100%. I bought one of his solo CDs expecting one thing but getting another.
I'm a long time Scorpions fan and his guitar work is incredible.
The double album Tokyo Tapes shows how good he was live.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 14:53
I predict my wallet will get lighter, I just saw a great promotion on the website of my usual store: a very good selection of brand new 180g classic jazz albums for 10€ each Shocked I'm looking at albums from Monk, Brubeck, Ellington, Davis, Rollins and Coltrane Smile
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I predict my wallet will get lighter, I just saw a great promotion on the website of my usual store: a very good selection of brand new 180g classic jazz albums for 10€ each Shocked I'm looking at albums from Monk, Brubeck, Ellington, Davis, Rollins and Coltrane Smile
I feel sorry for your wallet, but I can't tell you how glad I am that you are steering galeão espacial 
 "Meltdowner" into the jazz universe. May I, at some point, make some recommendations? 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 15:34

I agree 100%. I bought one of his solo CDs expecting one thing but getting another.

Speaking of Uli Jon Roth.....just saw this

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 16:32
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I feel sorry for your wallet, but I can't tell you how glad I am that you are steering galeão espacial 
 "Meltdowner" into the jazz universe. May I, at some point, make some recommendations? 
The caravel steers to wherever the good music is Wink
I listen to Jazz sometimes, mostly at night, although I don't have any in my collection. I listened to Grant Green the other day Smile I appreciate your recommendations: do you know Jazz Samba from Stan Getz? It's one of the albums from the selection and it seems interesting.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:02
I grew uo on it.  Nothing positive to say about it unless you like needle noise...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:11
^^ ^ unfortunately, I do not have that one, but I do have the Big Band Bossa Nova; not sure if it counts for anything :)

And, this coisa bonita, of course. A bunch of dudes with acoustic mikes playing acoustic music

Pelos passaros is just a pun on the guitarist's name :)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Speaking of Uli Jon Roth.....just saw this

Now that really is interesting and worth checking out. 
The Sails Of Charon has a great intro riff. Glad to see him include that track.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:44
^ According to JMA it was released in the same year as Big Band, it's probably similar. Jazz Samba has two songs from Jobim (Desafinado and Samba de Uma Nota Só Thumbs Up) and a nice 5 star review on the site.

Nice pun indeed Smile

Edited by Meltdowner - February 02 2015 at 17:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 20:18
Have you heard Dizzy Gillespie's version of Samba Di Uma Nota? Fully instrumental, and pretty long, and somewhat de-sambaed, but fantastic otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d67rQYPNPw

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 20:45
Just got this in the mail today, 2015 remastered version part of the 12 months of Rush Christmas Big smile. Produced using the DMM process, remastered at Abbey Road Mastering Studios London. Impeccable pressing, to say the least, very black background between songs, simply a clean pressing very similar to the King Crimson pressings.

The sound quality is fantastic, really brings back that 70's analog sound of this album, the CD/digital version is now rubbish in my collection. My original vinyl copy has just been played to death, very happy to get a new one.
The delicate details of songs like Making Memories and Rivendell with the 12-string is sublime, and Geddy's vocals are so soft and clean. Neil's cymbal hits/ride have a nice long decay, the low end is nice and deep but not flabby at all, super tight and clean.
I cannot wait for more to be released!

Clap

Edited by Catcher10 - February 02 2015 at 20:49
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 23:17

I predict my wallet will get lighter
That's a good thing, it can affect your posture......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:26
Naturally, I'm trying to track my parcel from Greg, the USPS tracking site is now asking me for a friggin' password..........
..............like get f**ked........................................
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 07:32
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Have you heard Dizzy Gillespie's version of Samba Di Uma Nota? Fully instrumental, and pretty long, and somewhat de-sambaed, but fantastic otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d67rQYPNPw
Great cover Clap

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Just got this in the mail today, 2015 remastered version part of the 12 months of Rush Christmas Big smile. Produced using the DMM process, remastered at Abbey Road Mastering Studios London. Impeccable pressing, to say the least, very black background between songs, simply a clean pressing very similar to the King Crimson pressings.

The sound quality is fantastic, really brings back that 70's analog sound of this album, the CD/digital version is now rubbish in my collection. My original vinyl copy has just been played to death, very happy to get a new one.
The delicate details of songs like Making Memories and Rivendell with the 12-string is sublime, and Geddy's vocals are so soft and clean. Neil's cymbal hits/ride have a nice long decay, the low end is nice and deep but not flabby at all, super tight and clean.
I cannot wait for more to be released!

Clap 
Awesome! I can't wait to get mine Big smile

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

That's a good thing, it can affect your posture......
Is that an empirical statement? 
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 312>