Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 15:32
^ almost Wink
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 22:56
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Wow, you're so global!

I must confess I didn't go to see the Messerschmidt exhibition, I didn't seem that interesting to me. Must be because indeed I know nothing of the guy, for a long while I thought it's probably an exhibition about German aviation. :)

I'm looking forward to this spring, and I'll post these days a list of the exhibitions around. There's a huge Manet that just opened at the Grand Palais, one about Rome and idealized landscape in classical art also at the Grand Palais, a Cranach & his times exhibition at the Luxembourg Museum, Tony Cragg at the Louvre, some fairly interesting but not outstanding contemporary art and photography exhibitions and, most importantly, we're waiting for the opening of Anish Kapoor's instalation at the Grand Palais (this a thing similar to the annual installation at Tate's Tubine Hall).

Ha ha. Travel's one thing I cannot get away from.

I look forward to some reports!

Ah, the bold is exactly how I've felt about the slew of Independent galleries I've seen so far in Hong Kong (mainly featuring Chinese artist), tho' maybe change interesting to tepid and outstanding to lukewarm boarding on fuzzy. On many levels, what I seen, read and experience with Chinese art in the last ten of so years (since there has been a defined shift away from Mao influence commentaries, oh they've not gone away, but there been a shift, be it not paradigm) I've found more interesting on a conceptual level, which I feel is a crutch propping up the at time lacking visual aspect, which can often be the case with formative stages. But I indeed to keep digging deeper. 

Photography I've always been highly suspicious of ever since the photographer I was dating (there is nothing more sexy than a pretty girl pointing a camera) left me Wink Good photography is good but there are wealth of people lacking sincerity looking for cheap thrills, which is okay to, I guess, just doesn't turn me on. It is odd as I generally find such beauty in the ephemeral.   

Saw some works by Dorina Mocan, she's Romanian if I remember correctly.   
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 23:23
So I know a lot of people are getting mad about ponies, but does this count as high art now?

Edited by Henry Plainview - April 14 2011 at 23:27
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 23:31
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

So I know a lot of people are getting mad about ponies, but does this count as high art now?

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 03:58

Yes. This style/topical pony referencing is the zenith of High Art in its present form; there are few dissenters (for obvious reasons).
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 07:02

You mean you're not linking this from MOMA's website? Shocked
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 07:16
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

Ah, the bold is exactly how I've felt about the slew of Independent galleries I've seen so far in Hong Kong (mainly featuring Chinese artist), tho' maybe change interesting to tepid and outstanding to lukewarm boarding on fuzzy. On many levels, what I seen, read and experience with Chinese art in the last ten of so years (since there has been a defined shift away from Mao influence commentaries, oh they've not gone away, but there been a shift, be it not paradigm) I've found more interesting on a conceptual level, which I feel is a crutch propping up the at time lacking visual aspect, which can often be the case with formative stages. But I indeed to keep digging deeper. 

Photography I've always been highly suspicious of ever since the photographer I was dating (there is nothing more sexy than a pretty girl pointing a camera) left me Wink Good photography is good but there are wealth of people lacking sincerity looking for cheap thrills, which is okay to, I guess, just doesn't turn me on. It is odd as I generally find such beauty in the ephemeral.      

I completely agree with you but my remark was coming from a much more philistine perspecive. I'd like to see some "hits" (yes, I'm that shallow Embarrassed). We had Basquiat in autumn and it was absolutely mindblowing, now I'm yearning for something similar in scale and relevance at this level (museum level? not sure how to define it). Also, we had the FIAC in autumn (the international art fair), which was my first truly major art fair, one of the best cultural experiences I've had in my life; now it pains me to wait again until late autumn. LOL

Never heard of Dorina Mocan, but the name is Romanian indeed.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 03:12
^^^^ I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of. At the end of the day I'd much prefer seeing something historically significant (there is a reason most of these have been canonized - even if I dislike the word), which provokes awe,ecstasy, etcetera than arrive home drain from wandering around numerous contemporary galleries wondering if I like art at all (times yet to effect its sh*t shifting mechanizes). You should have seen me tittering like a school girl when I finally got to see some of the Dadaist and Bauhaus guys works in the flesh, at our Pathways to Abstraction exhibition which was f**king brilliant. Lets not even mention Caravaggio :P I think Australia (with it odd mash of cultures) in recent times is becoming to realize the importance of such exhibitions with a whole crop of well curated event popping up over the last couple of years.  Anyway I'm just going on...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:21
Adam, do you have a blog or a Facebook or something to keep track of you?

Here's #3 of Love Issue, dedicated to Romania. It's a completely DIY photo press project done by a friend of mine. Thumbs Up
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 22:24
Sorry, been a little pre-occupied the last couple of days. Unfortunately I lay pretty low regarding social media. Got rid of facebook about a year ago and have always felt uncomfortable about the idea of a blog.

The project looks nicely set out. I'm flying home today, so in half a week or so life will be back to some normality and I'll give it a proper look. While were loosely on the idea of art related magazines/publications, I quite like this: http://bombsite.com/ articles written by artist, about artist. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 23:24

I've always been fascinated by early Flemish and Netherlander painters, such as Jan Van Eyck:

Rogier Van der Weyden:

Pieter Bruegel:

And, of course, Hieronymous Bosch:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 08:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 18:08
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 03:39
^^^^ nice, wish i could draw so quickly (it says something like 8mins, maybe my memory fails?). Watching my drawing would a very laborious process (also dew to fact I pick up a pencil once every couple of years).

As I type this message I'm on my second round through Morton Feldman's For Philip Guston, and find myself drawn and strung out after nearly 7 hours listening with minimal breaks. Despite being 'for' Philip Guston felt and incessant need to stumble over to the bookshelf and pick up Agnes Martin's Writings of which I'm rather fond. It reminded me of the availability of the book online: http://www.scribd.com/doc/36073257/Agnes-Martin-Writings so I thought I share it here for anyone vaguely interested.

Her work for most parts can be considered Minimalist, which at face value is an understatement, tho' she herself thought differently. The general components (features) of her work are grids and very subtle shadings (washes) of colour. I don't see too much sense posting digitized images here as the work does not translate well. Our national gallery own three of her work which I visiting every couple of months or so.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 05:35
^ the work in the video is very decorative which makes me sure the artist is following a pattern he knows very well, hence the speed.

Out of the graphic artists I've actually seen exhibited, and not only by albums, my favourites are Durer (his engravings are one of art's highest moments, IMO, they always stand out in any context, I could recognize them even blindfolded Tongue) and Morandi (the most touching delicate kind of using watercolour, especially in the sketches of flowers). I haven't seen anything by Rembrandt yet, but judging by what an impact his patings had on me, I can't wait. An exhibition "Rembrandt and the face of Christ" just opened at the Louvre and I expect it contains a good dose of drawings and engravings).

Science "discoveres" something that we knew for how many centuries?
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 05:36
I created this topic quite awhile ago about an amazing pavement artist who does 3-D chalk drawings.It might not be considered "art" but this is some great stuff and I wanted to share it with some people who might not have seen it yet.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 20:57
Jody, they're great, I think I remember you posting them way back then.

Been on a bit of a degenerate binge myself (that's what living with Musicians will do to you :P) Particularly Hans Bellemr, both his sketches and sculptures, which have a strange beautiful fluidity and a slight naughtiness in the nubile : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Bellmer

The Second artist was Jean Tinguely, whose utterly useless sculpture (mechanism) added small hilarity to my long over due visit to the national gallery, For some reason a mechanism build for self destruction was highly amusing, tho' on the flipside, somewhat saddening to see its inevitable demise had been postponed (for God knows how long) to sit stagnant in a gallery. Odd how something designed for ephemeral will receive it 'right' place in historical canon... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Tinguely

Anyway, to the pointy end of the post, please post some of your favourite degenerate pieces, whatever period, quality or quantity.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 07:43
This is the best thing I've seen in a long while: http://vimeo.com/13085676
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:43