FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModern prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 01:18
44 here.  Discovered prog in mid to late 80s, and love both classic and modern.  Listen more to modern at the moment, but to some degree that's because its easier to find than classic that I don't already know.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

44 here.  Discovered prog in mid to late 80s, and love both classic and modern.  Listen more to modern at the moment, but to some degree that's because its easier to find than classic that I don't already know.

Then you are like me.  I am also 44, discovered prog in the late 80s (though I had a brief encounter with ELP's Pictures earlier, but it really went off only in '87), love both classic and modern, though more modern than classic.

Edited by WeepingElf - December 05 2013 at 11:52
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 14:05
There's good and not so good Prog now (as always has) but the problem is that my tastes seem to differ more with other younger Progger's. In the 70's and 80's we all more or less agreed in what was great and what was OK and what was weak. Of course some preferred it harder, some preferred it folkier etc, but there was a wide consensus on what were real masterpieces.
Now I try some albums with tons of 5 stars ratings and I find them disappointing, it seems that the taste of many contemporary proggers is getting more and more differentiated from mine (which is not surprising given that I start to be an old fart, 47 now).

In this other post I mentioned some of the recent albums I have really liked and some of the ones which disappointed me

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 18:08
I'm 59 and I still don't know what prog is, but I like good music. I'm not picky about how old it is.  LOL
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 10:52
I'm another one who grew up in the middle of 70's and "modern" prog too (teen in late 80's), and I like both almost equally, but I give a slight edge to the 70's prog for several reasons: primarily because I have a sense of awe at the explosion of creativity as this new genre now know as "progressive" came into being. I think it would be difficult--perhaps impossible to recreate again. I'm still sensing it as I continue to collect 70's prog that I've never heard. 
On the other hand, as I collect modern prog, I appreciate new ideas, but I always have an awareness of the influences of the past.  I agree that there is another "golden age" of prog happening again and I'm glad to see it (or hear it).  But it is built upon the rock of the past (no pun intended)--it adds to but does not necessarily improve upon what has been.

Z
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 17:49
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Now I try some albums with tons of 5 stars ratings and I find them disappointing, it seems that the taste of many contemporary proggers is getting more and more differentiated from mine (which is not surprising given that I start to be an old fart, 47 now).

Sometimes I feel the same, I guess we have to consider that the elements of the Classical Music were very present in the classic prog generation. But as I dig into today's bands I realize they are more free to develop new ideas, and I'm having some good surprises since I began to listen these new bands, thanks firstly to ProgArchives.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Modern prog lacks melody, character and authenticity.

Dude, you miss out on so much amazing progressive music by outright dismissing modern stuff altogether.

So many inventive and exciting bands working in a variety of progressive genres to discover!

Don't simply hang on to a few albums from a small period of time and miss everything else.

I couldn't agree more. Dismissing 21st century Prog is a big no no....somebody operate on Dr. Prog!!

I wouldn't be much help, man, I always sucked at that....kept hitting the sides and setting the red light off!

You played operation too!! Cheeky bugger.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 10:27
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

I think to a large extent, it depends on when you started getting into prog.

As a teenager in the late seventies, I came to prog through Genesis, Yes etc. (admittedly slightly past their golden age, but soon picked up their back catalogues). I therefore have an emotional attachment to them that I don't have to modern prog.

While I have enjoyed discovering modern band like Big Big Train and Moon Safari, I don't have the same connection with them. I can enjoy listening to them and appreciate the music, but it doesn't "grab me" like the 70s bands I grew up with.

Probably younger listeners will have the same experience - what they got into as teenagers will have the emotional connection that earlier/later bands don't have. Not to say one is better or worse than the other, it's just the bond isn't quite there.

Good point.  I'm definitely a classic prog guy...perhaps because that was the music I grew up on?  Maybe?  I don't know and I really don't care.  I have very few "modern prog" bands in my collection but not because I turn my nose up at anything released after September 24, 1974  LOL  It's simply a function that the sound I enjoy the most is rooted in classic prog so when a band like Anglagard showed up with mellotrons, analog gear, and a writing style that explored the classic prog vocabulary at the forefront, it spoke to me in a way that modern prog bands with digital instruments never did.  I have tried out some modern prog that my PA brothers and sisters rave about on youtube - but it get's a very lukewarm "it's good" reception and nothing like the obsessive insanity that I have for classic prog (or more recent bands that worship/emulate that era).  
So while it's not a prejudice against modern prog, probability theory tells me I'm better served spending my precious time exploring the classic prog goldmine.  <span style="line-height: 1.2;">I get way more excited about the prospect of hearing an unknown French prog band from '75 for the first time than I ever get about a pending 2013 release </span>Wink

Have you tried the band Astra?  Not sure if they would appeal to you or not, but I believe that they use all authentic old equipment and recording technologies. 

Thanks much for the tip...I read your review of "The Weirding" yesterday and was intrigued...I'm giving the album a spin or two now - TGFYoutube Wink

Having an open mind leads to great old and new discoveries. Well played.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 16:43
I really have no time to search for the small amount of good stuff today when there is so much more quality and quality from the 1969-82 period. Thumbs Up

Edited by dr prog - December 14 2013 at 16:44
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 17:03
The videos pasted in here are mediocre ar best. Blande melodies, no vocal character, plain instrumental sound. If you think modern music is 1/10th as good as 70s you're losing it Tongue I really don't get the ratings in here either. Usually its the better albums which get the lower ratings and the less melodically brilliant ones which get the high ratings. Most people in here are don't have their prog hats on. They would rather listen to technical playing which is 1/10th as hard as clever complex melodies. They put Genesis, Crimson and Floyd on pedestals when there are many better bands from that era

Edited by dr prog - December 14 2013 at 17:04
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 17:15
In the great words sung by UFO " Doctor Doctor please!!!!!''
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 17:32

Hit me with something great then I'll shuddup Smile

Edited by dr prog - December 14 2013 at 17:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 21:36

Maybe you will change a little bit the concept you have from Modern prog, when you attempt to listen more that bands, for instance I have just known the bands Autumn Whispers and Unreal City (with the only album La Crudelta Di Aprile) and some tracks hit me with a more melodic prog for this era. But I've got to agree with you - just before that RPI album, I had first got to know Autumn(UK)'s only album "Oceanworld", and this one entirely sounded SUPERB to my ears at the first listening! I'm sure I'm going to listen it much more times...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 23:19

Why don't you hit us with your great bands from that era so we can critique your choices.
Got game?
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 23:56

What modern genre would you prefer to hear then? I've got resources. I'm not shy. I love my Prog young and old....can't say the same for my women. yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 05:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Why don't you hit us with your great bands from that era so we can critique your choices.
Got game?
Wink
That's what I forgot to ask him, by the way. and let us think that all "genius era" will have it's coming back, it's a matter of life, eras always change, in this case from "bad" to "good"... and form "good" to "bad".. and so on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 01:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Got game?

Wink

I wonder if TOWER OF SILENCE by ANUBIS would knock him out or as he said 'shut him up?'
They are from Australia. A song like THE HOLY INNOCENT is pretty incredible. Epic, beautiful and powerful.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 16:12
I just wanna say one thing. Music doesn't progress. Only
Songs progress. New bands rarely ever can make a really strong composition. They have too many crappy post 1980 influences. They lack character and composition. They resort to inventing new styles of music or copying old compositions to get somewhere

Edited by dr prog - December 17 2013 at 16:18
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 16:42
Must suck having to retype that every time it could fit ;[
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 21:30

I just wanna say one thing. Music doesn't progress. Only
Songs progress. New bands rarely ever can make a really strong composition. They have too many crappy post 1980 influences. They lack character and composition. They resort to inventing new styles of music or copying old compositions to get somewhere

Well then let's just do away with the whole concept of 'influence' and have every musician out there start from absolute scratch. . By scratch, no outside successful and creative Prog band influences at all for the aspiring Prog artist.
Yeah. I bet he/she is gonna sound just amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>