Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:56
^^ That is the most unused vinyl I have seen. It makes you wonder if they considered the album complete and didn't want to throw in some filler track.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 15:10
^ Yeah, and the 4 sides are like that. The Blu ray version comes with 4 extra tracks that are quite good, it's a shame they didn't put it on the vinyl, they easily had space to do that Ermm
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 15:20
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I started listening to Spock's Beard and wondering why did I didn't listen before, it's so good. Just one album left to listen before V Wink

I started listening to Yessongs the other day and I noticed this:The music barely fitted the vinyl Tongue

Ur on da roll, bro

^ I think because some of the present day pressing plants do not have JVC-grade ("MFSL") equipment to press with good enough quality all the way to the label. I remember seeing one pressing plant advise their customers "to contact them" if one side was expected to be longer than 14' or something. 

TER is 53' I believe, so could have fit on 1 LP in theory. I have a Metheny and an a-ha albums that are 60' each, and I can't say they sound terrible nearer the label. Depends on what kind of music you stick there. 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 16:27
^ I don't have any from the Beard yet, I'm in the process of discovering their music, one of the advantages of streaming Tongue
I didn't notice anything bad about the quality of that side... I did notice the extra minutes though LOL

Some think that Sunday night is a sad time, but not to me: spinning a lot of records give me spiritual strength to face the week to come Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 04:22
Dear analog enthusiasts,

Does your room look anything like this?

Edited by Argonaught - February 09 2015 at 04:24
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 04:34
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^^I have the album but never noticed that.
In contrast, I'm listening to Mainhorse with Patrick Moraz right now and side B has over an inch of vinyl before the paper label. They could have easily put another song on that side.
Never gonna get it together.......... - gosh, it's been years since I've spun my copy..........reminds me a bit of Fuzzy Duck.........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 04:39
My parcel arrived 18 LP's and 2 DVD's. My head is fizzing......
Magma - Riah Sahiltaahk & Billy Sherwood's Fusion Syndicate down, 16 more to go......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 05:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Billy Sherwood's Fusion Syndicate down, 16 more to go......

Fusion Syndicate, what genre would you describe it as? 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 10:08

Magma - Riah Sahiltaahk & Billy Sherwood's Fusion Syndicate down, 16 more to go......

Happy head fizzing!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 17:20

Your patience has been rewarded Tongue Have fun Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:09
I regret.......at the store Saturday saw a Rush Hemispheres album, the red vinyl version for only $29.00. I looked at it briefly but at the time I thought this one also had the poster (which I have already) and a 2-page insert....Neither was included. I just looked it up and I was right....Would have offered the owner $20...I may go back soon and do that.

But part of me thinks I should have just bought it....
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:16
Ahhh vinyl.  I don't care if it doesn't sound as good as digital every time.  I just love it for the nostalgia and for the artistic value in it....oh and having something tangible.  I started collecting it after much debate, in 2005, before the mad rush for vinyl started.  Luckily, I got all of the classic rock albums I wanted for the most part, before it started to get hard to find...much of it for 50 cents a disc.  I ended up with some amazing and often rare items.  Now, you can't find anything good in 2nd hand stores anymore.  So most of what I get is newer albums, or those treasures you just got to have that you run into in the flea markets and etc. but you have to pay more for nowdays.

I will never forget when I hit the goldmine though, back in Colorado in 2008.  It was starting to get difficult to find cheap used vinyl and I found (on Craig's List) a guy who claimed he had boxes and boxes of records that a DJ friend of his had collected and was willed over to him.  He had no idea what he had.  He wanted 50 cents a piece.  So I had to go look.  Wow!  Yes they were DJ copies, so they were in amazing condition, so many rare DJ issues like Bob Dylan's EP with 4 songs from from Renaldo and Clara (extremely rare) and tons and tons of (drum roll please) Frank Zappa rarities.  I had $50 on me.  I had piled up all the ones I wanted and found out I had $80 worth of vinyl at 50 cents each and I couldn't decide what to put back.  He saw that I was having problems deciding and told me just to take all of them.

That day was heaven on earth.

I just had to share that experience Big smile.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:41

That should keep you busy for awhile. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:43
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Ahhh vinyl.  I don't care if it doesn't sound as good as digital every time.  I just love it for the nostalgia and for the artistic value in it....oh and having something tangible.  I started collecting it after much debate, in 2005, before the mad rush for vinyl started.  Luckily, I got all of the classic rock albums I wanted for the most part, before it started to get hard to find...much of it for 50 cents a disc.  I ended up with some amazing and often rare items.  Now, you can't find anything good in 2nd hand stores anymore.  So most of what I get is newer albums, or those treasures you just got to have that you run into in the flea markets and etc. but you have to pay more for nowdays.

I will never forget when I hit the goldmine though, back in Colorado in 2008.  It was starting to get difficult to find cheap used vinyl and I found (on Craig's List) a guy who claimed he had boxes and boxes of records that a DJ friend of his had collected and was willed over to him.  He had no idea what he had.  He wanted 50 cents a piece.  So I had to go look.  Wow!  Yes they were DJ copies, so they were in amazing condition, so many rare DJ issues like Bob Dylan's EP with 4 songs from from Renaldo and Clara (extremely rare) and tons and tons of (drum roll please) Frank Zappa rarities.  I had $50 on me.  I had piled up all the ones I wanted and found out I had $80 worth of vinyl at 50 cents each and I couldn't decide what to put back.  He saw that I was having problems deciding and told me just to take all of them.

Thanks for sharing TCat!! Great story, one that most of us here have experienced a few times probably. Welcome to our little vinyl thread.....Warm and inviting...come on in and we can spin a few together Clap
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:48
That's a good story, TCat. Deals like that don't come around any more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 21:02
So very glad to have this album back in my hands.......Great find as the surface noise is almost zero, must have not been played much or was owned by someone with a high end cart that did not do any groove damage.

Really nice for a whopping $5.00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 21:07
You all make me feel like paying an unscheduled visit to one of the indoor flea markets nearby and buying a whole crate of stuff w/o looking .. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 21:15
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

You all make me feel like paying an unscheduled visit to one of the indoor flea markets nearby and buying a whole crate of stuff w/o looking .. 

I vote yes.....Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 01:39
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Definitely had a similar experience when I came across this dude at a fair in the late-90's, Jack, as he was known, was selling off all his vinyl (unbeknown to me, he wasn't well) - anyway, he had all this rare Euro-Prog stuff, from Ash Ra Tempel to Magma, Hoelderlin to Banco DMS, Le Orme, Guru Guru, Kayak, Eela Craig, Kraan....... - complete discographies, and even really obscure things like Nyl, Vincent Crane/Arthur Brown, and all prices were anything from 15 bucks to the most expensive $38. Yeah, a bit pricey you say, but these LP's were/are worth lots more. I'd spend any between 300-600 bucks and then he'd give 10% discount. Over time, I acquired approx. 82 LP's from him. Next time I rang his place, his wife answered and said he'd passed away......
Still, happy times.
Now, Mr Greg Walker is THE ONE. Probably bought close to 500 vinyls off Greg over the last 10 years.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 01:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Happy head fizzing!!
Continuing the aural extravaganza - today so far :
TIM BOWNESS - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams - an absolute beauty of an album.
MAGMA - K.A. - stunning, as usual.
Currently half-way through ENCHANT - The Great Divide - great album, very similar to the Spock's Brief Nocturnes album........
........havin' a ball.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 312>