Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRank these bands according to influence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:24
I was grouping the bands together - and even though Tortoise have a unique sound they are still influential.

I'm not seeing the correspondence between rating numbers on PA and the group's actual influence. Obviously damn Kansas is going have more attention and fans than a niche (lack of a better word) genre like PR/MR. Symphonic Prog is more popular - congrats, but that makes 0 sense in an argument about the extent of the bands' influence today. 

I'm sorry but if you think Transatlantic's influence on todays bands is even measurable to Kraftwerk than i can no longer go on. You just don't understand. 

Also: Do you know how to actually quote? Or do you just dislike how the formatting is for it? It seems your just copying and pasting which is fine i suppose. Just making sure. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:37
[Symphonic Prog is more popular - congrats, but that makes 0 sense in an argument about the extent of the bands' influence today. ]

No it makes a lot of sense but then again it depends on what your parameters of prog are. Like it or not the classic seventies bands and symph prog in general are always going to be the ones that people get into prog through and the ones that get the most exposure and thus influence the most bands. End of discussion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:41
[I'm sorry but if you think Transatlantic's influence on todays bands is even measurable to Kraftwerk than i can no longer go on. You just don't understand. 

Also: Do you know how to actually quote? Or do you just dislike how the formatting is for it? It seems your just copying and pasting which is fine i suppose. Just making sure. ]

Yes I do but I find it annoying if I only want to respond to one thing or one at a time.

As for Transatlantic it's more about the members of the actual band and where they come from. Actually Spock's Beard is a better example but you seemed to have conveniently forgotten about them. Transatlantic is really more of a project so in that sense I admit they maybe aren't the best example. But yeah lets end this discussion. In fact you can go on and on if you want but I'm done.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:49
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

[Symphonic Prog is more popular - congrats, but that makes 0 sense in an argument about the extent of the bands' influence today. ]

No it makes a lot of sense but then again it depends on what your parameters of prog are. Like it or not the classic seventies bands and symph prog in general are always going to be the ones that people get into prog through and the ones that get the most exposure and thus influence the most bands. End of discussion.

Ok but the modern bands that have the retro sounds aren't the symphonic prog bands that todays bands are going to take influences from - it's the ones from the actual 70's. I can come to an understanding that symphonic is a big magnet to the prog scene, though there are certainly others. If i want to sound like symphonic band with epics and crazy over-the-top musicianship - i feel most bands will look at the giant prog names of the 70's, not the modern ones that emulate them so heavily. That's all i'm saying in this case. Bands in this case will look towards the original not the copies. 

Edit: Deal - nice chat. (No sarcasm)
Wink

Edited by Horizons - October 18 2014 at 20:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:57
Btw, Kansas are a 70's band. Oh and how do you know the newer symph bands aren't influenced by second and third wave symph bands? Why assume all of them only are inspired only by the older stuff. I know for a fact that many newer neo and symph bands are influenced by the Flower Kings. Heck there's even a double disc Flower Kings tribute cd out with newer prog bands paying tribute. Do any of your bands have a disc like that with prog bands paying tribute? Also, maybe I could say that the newer avant or left field bands are more influenced by the Residents, Captain Beefheart, Can, Neu, Faust, Henry Cow or whoever more than the newer "out there" bands. Unless you have gone around interviewing tons of bands you can't assume these things. Oh and yes I know Kraftwerk are an older band but I personally don't think they are all that influential in the prog scene(techno and synth rock yes but prog not so much). Let me know when we can just end this already. Wink

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 18 2014 at 21:05
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 22:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

King Crimson and then everyone else.

^this......

and even a broken watch is right twice a day.....
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:10
King Crimson more influential than PF, Yes and Genesis? Uh, no.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:20
Hey hey hey you can't edit your last response without letting me know! I let it end and you wanna bring it back to light?! How dare thee. 

In all seriousness i've said everything i've wanted to make a point of, so oh well. 

Here it is: I think that the bands you listed are less influential than the ones i've listed, in progressive music and its many incarnations. Oh well. 

Edited by Horizons - October 18 2014 at 23:33
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:46
Kraftwerk is one of the most influential bands in the entire history of recorded non classical/jazz music and not even bands like Nektar and Kansas can hope to approach their influence.  So to suggest that Translatlantic or Spock's Beard should be ranked higher in influence than Kraftwerk defies logic.  I would not claim, as Saperlipopette! did, that bands like Focus or Kansas had no influence of importance on other bands.  But it's a no brainer that Kraftwerk's influence exceeds those bands...easily.  Er, influencing people to rate bands on a prog website does not amount to influencing musicians to derive ideas from a particular band.  What's so groundbreaking about Kansas or Spock's Beard anyway vis-a-vis Kraftwerk?  And with orchestras getting too expensive even by the time they recorded their later albums, Renaissance was never going to be a major influence on other bands because that style demanded a climate in which labels were prepared to burn money on prog with scant returns.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:49

King Crimson more influential than PF, Yes and Genesis? Uh, no.

More than PF is doubtful indeed, but they are comfortably more influential than Yes or Genesis.  Even Genesis could not have made Trespass without faithfully emulating the ideas of ITCOTCK.  Unless, that is, you want to count the pop albums in which case Genesis was more influential than KC or Yes.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:43
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Hey hey hey you can't edit your last response without letting me know! I let it end and you wanna bring it back to light?! How dare thee. 

In all seriousness i've said everything i've wanted to make a point of, so oh well. 

Here it is: I think that the bands you listed are less influential than the ones i've listed, in progressive music and its many incarnations. Oh well. 

Well not really. Not my fault if you left you so soon. Wink

Yeah ok and I think the bands I listed are more influential so there. Like I said before agree to disagree on this. Can we put it to rest now? I might throw you a bone though if you agree to replace Tortoise with Sigur Ros. Tortoise doesn't even have any albums with over 70 ratings on here for crying out loud.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:46

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Kraftwerk is one of the most influential bands in the entire history of recorded non classical/jazz music and not even bands like Nektar and Kansas can hope to approach their influence.  So to suggest that Translatlantic or Spock's Beard should be ranked higher in influence than Kraftwerk defies logic.  I would not claim, as Saperlipopette! did, that bands like Focus or Kansas had no influence of importance on other bands.  But it's a no brainer that Kraftwerk's influence exceeds those bands...easily.  Er, influencing people to rate bands on a prog website does not amount to influencing musicians to derive ideas from a particular band.  What's so groundbreaking about Kansas or Spock's Beard anyway vis-a-vis Kraftwerk?  And with orchestras getting too expensive even by the time they recorded their later albums, Renaissance was never going to be a major influence on other bands because that style demanded a climate in which labels were prepared to burn money on prog with scant returns.

Well for one thing I was talking about prog circles but yeah ok Kraftwerk I get it but I still think there's a ton of bands more influential than them in prog circles including Kansas. To be honest I'd even put Tangerine Dream on the list before Kraftwerk. But no f-ing way is Tortoise more influential than SB, TFK or Kansas in PROG circles. That's just crazy talk.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 19 2014 at 00:51
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:59

After seeing Fripp's revised KC this year, I must agree.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 01:16

Regarding the influence only, and if we have to pick just one band, on the top of that misty and floating Prog mountain, may be the Pink Floyd only. I love all of KC studio albums, and just a couple of PF, but the fact is that the Pink Floyd is the most influential prog band ever. This is a band that everyone knows and that has made the genre great with Dark Side of the Moon, an album that I'm not a fan, but again - the facts...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:03

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Well for one thing I was talking about prog circles but yeah ok Kraftwerk I get it but I still think there's a ton of bands more influential than them in prog circles including Kansas. To be honest I'd even put Tangerine Dream on the list before Kraftwerk. But no f-ing way is Tortoise more influential than SB, TFK or Kansas in PROG circles. That's just crazy talk.

Never said Tortoise was more influential than TFK.  I haven't heard Tortoise so I would not like to comment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:18
^Sorry, I admit I was sort of mixing the two posters together(you and the other guy). You don't have to hear a band though to be aware of their influence. Hearing a band only tells you if you like them or not. ;)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:20
I disagree.  Especially in prog, where there is no consensus and people let favouritism cloud their opinions on something fairly objective like influence, I prefer to listen for myself and judge whether the band brought something to the table that was later imitated or used for other new ideas from later bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:22
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Regarding the influence only, and if we have to pick just one band, on the top of that misty and floating be the Pink Floyd only. I love all of KC studio albums, and just a couple of PF, but the fact is that the Pink Floyd is the most influential prog band ever. This is a band that everyone knows and that has made the genre great with Dark Side of the Moon, an album that I'm not a fan, but again - the facts...

Yep. I admit that there isn't always a direct correlation between influence and popularity but most of the time there is a pretty strong one. It's pretty difficult for a lesser known band to be more influential than a really well known band. It can happen but it depends on the band. For example, King Crimson is probably much more influential in prog than Styx, Supertramp or the Moody Blues but part of that is because the last three are only marginally prog. If I threw Rush, Yes or Genesis into the mix that changes things quite a bit and even KC is no match for those bands.
DreamInSong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 12:39
Can only speak toward personal influence...
  1. Pink Floyd
  2. IQ
  3. Porcupine Tree
  4. Van der Graaf Generator
  5. Marillion
  6. Dream Theater
  7. Moody Blues
  8. Anglagard
  9. King Crimson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 17:22
I guess I don't feel too bad if someone leaves out YES as long as they leave out either ELP or Genesis. :p
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>