Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 16:10
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Although I prefer vinyl I've got a hell of a lot of CD's and am still buying them about 50/50 Cd/Vinyl. I can't see them going away anytime soon despite the drop in sales.

I've just bought a new CD player this week - had too as my old Arcam finally gave up but I was glad of the excuse to get a new one to be honest. My new Roksan K3 only came out this year so Hi-Fi manufacurer's are still investing in Cd technology despite what many might tell you.

Nice Nightfly! I have only read great things about this Roksan K3. The balanced XLR digital output sounds really interesting....Would like to read your impressions once you have some hours on it.

Have fun!

Yes, sounds really great though haven't had chance to put it through its paces yet. I choose it for its tight and powerful bass and detailed overall sound having compared it back to back with players from Naim, Audio Analogue, Rega and Unico (Unison Research). The interesting thing about the Unico which I almost went for was it uses valves which gave it a really warm almost vinyl like sound. The sound wasn't as tight though overall which is why I went for the Roksan though it was a lovely sounding player.

I have never been a Rega CDP fan, they seem to have a lot of issues with their drives and optical pickups, plus I think Rega products in general are over priced.
Naim is excellent gear......The trick with valve CDP is you need to probably roll in different vales to find the best sound, so there is some tweaking you can do to improve the SQ. I know cables can be considered snake oil, but you might try that tweak once you find the Roksan has settled in. Looks like the DAC supports up to 24bit/192kHz resolution....main reason I chose the player I have.

Congrats
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Anyways, I'd have to imagine that the disc-spinning/reading mechanism inside hi-fi CD player are probably available in two or three different models and quality (either from Phillips or Sony design)
That was the case ten years ago because those two companies jointly owned the patents for optical discs and transport mechanisms, not sure what the situation is now as the patents expired back in 2009. I suspect that most brand-named manufacturers (Aiwa, Akai, NAD, Onkyo, Technics, etc.) continue to use either Philips or Sony products because neither of those companies are stupid enough to lose a main revenue stream just because a patent expired. If a player manufacturer doesn't mention the design of the transport specifically in their promotional literature then it's likely that they would have bought-in the mechanism rather than designed and manufactured it themselves - if you are going to the expense of manufacturing your own mechanism then you're going to make a big song and dance about it.

As the market dwindles there is little incentive for other manufacturers to get into the game. With all products like this (DAC chips, TFT screens, Hard-drives, etc.) the market is dominated by one or two prime manufacturers

That was more or less my train of thought....Smile

Even Blue-Rays were somewhat of a disappointtment in terms of sales (both discs and readers), so who'd risk starting a manufacturing plants of a more or less dying technology that has seen its better days over a decade ago.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:48

since quality has never been a deciding factor in any format-war.

Say no more Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 24 2015 at 20:49
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

since quality has never been a deciding factor in any format-war.

Say no more Tongue

Wait...shouldn't they be playing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards on the turntable?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 21:01
problemI think you have hit on the crux of the problem.  Just remember...only an expert can deal with the problem...

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123