Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Most Influential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Who's the most influential artist here on PA?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
15 [21.13%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [9.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
17 [23.94%]
3 [4.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
5 [7.04%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 06:28
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

It's an old story. One can say that Beethoven started it all and Orff invented the Zeuhl. The first percussionist was likely a Neanderthal who may have invented the growling, too. It depends on when you put the starting point.
Yes and yawn, Captain Obvious
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 06:47
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

You, me, Wetton... we all have our blind spots and preferences. When I bought the second, third and fourth Nice album (found them all really cheap) I was (like many curious progfans) very dissapointed. I also felt like I was listening to a musical dead end. I wasn't around when all this happened so I can't really claim to know how it played out. But there's little doubt that KC's 1969-debut, containing two or perhaps even three or four songs that is echoed in literally countless compositions by progbands all over the world made a much bigger splash than anything from the albums by The Nice. On top of that Fripp reinvented KC into something darker, jazzier, dissonant and more experimental that young belgian/french folks coming out of conservatories transformed into Chamber Rock, Avant Prog (or R.I.O if you will. I know you know all about this).

I agree that Zappa kick started something that "everyone" was listening to and inspired by. But In the Court... is nevertheless a unique starting point and a guiding star to what came after labeled Progressive Rock.       

-sorry for a couple of not so elegant sentences and such. english is not my first language.

As obvious as this...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 06:49
Well it was in direct response to something and obviously not obvious to everyone.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 06:55
Miles Davis.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 06:56
This was your question, isn't it?

"who do you think has influenced the most artists and bands"

This is about numbers, not quality.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 07:01
? Numbers? Now I'm not sure what you mean. I made a poll with the question: Who's the most influentual artist here on PA?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 07:03
I think there is an obvious omission in the above list - The Beatles. Like them or not, they were hugely influential in the development of progressive rock as we know it, and their influence remains to this day.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 07:05
Ok, question of commas. I have interpreted "the most" as "the maximum number of". Your question was about "the main influencer".  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 07:21
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I think there is an obvious omission in the above list - The Beatles. Like them or not, they were hugely influential in the development of progressive rock as we know it, and their influence remains to this day.
I like them, but I left them out on purpose as I don't really agree that the belong here on PA. Or its not that I mind them being here so much. More correctly I only included bands/artists I consider to have released atleast one genuinely progressive album (which is why I left out Doors and Hendrix as well) Rather subjective I guess, but according to a kind of prog consensus Beatles doesn't have a progalbum. When discussing the most influential progressive band or artist I think of Beatles as belonging among those who paved the way rather than being a genuine part of Prog.   
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 07:51

I like them, but I left them out on purpose as I don't really agree that the belong here on PA. Or its not that I mind them being here so much. More correctly I only included bands/artists I consider to have released atleast one genuinely progressive album (which is why I left out Doors and Hendrix as well) Rather subjective I guess, but according to a kind of prog consensus Beatles doesn't have a progalbum. When discussing the most influential progressive band or artist I think of Beatles as belonging among those who paved the way rather than being a genuine part of Prog.   

I see your point, and agree that The Beatles did not release any album that can be considered fully progressive (at least in the way most people on this forum consider progressive to be). However, bear in mind that a lot of people (here and elsewhere) consider the likes of Radiohead not to be prog either. Having been an active PA member for over five years (my husband Micky and I founded the Art Rock Team), I could tell you a lot of entertaining (and some not so entertaining) stories about controversial additions.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:09
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Hey Micky it's very interesting what you are telling me, I believe too that some of the important facts of our lifes are truly tied to our fate, seeming to happen especially in crucial moments. By the way I'm married with an argentinian beauty of great character, well not from such an opposite end of the earth hahah, that's the power of love isn't it? Wink

I'll drink to that Rick!!! Fate is a funny thing. I often joke with friends, you couldn't make a sappy supermarket aisle romance novel that rivals what happened to the two of us.  Our chances to succeed were likely 1 in a 100, any number of things could have derailed everything and though this f**king government of ours made it hard for her to get here, almost as hard to stay here, we have persevered.  We celebrated 8 years together last week. Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:16

And in terms of the question framed, which was influence on music in general, they are numero uno.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:24

I see your point, and agree that The Beatles did not release any album that can be considered fully progressive (at least in the way most people on this forum consider progressive to be). However, bear in mind that a lot of people (here and elsewhere) consider the likes of Radiohead not to be prog either. Having been an active PA member for over five years (my husband Micky and I founded the Art Rock Team), I could tell you a lot of entertaining (and some not so entertaining) stories about controversial additions.

Sure. There's no absolutes. I don't think I'm 100% correct and anyone with another opinion than mine is 100% wrong. To an extent I guess different opinions can both be correct at once.

I wouldn't label Radiohead as "Prog" myself really, but its experimental rock and rather complex/forward thinking, progressive music (much more than people whose only heard a handful of their ageing radio hits are aware of) that has its natural place here in one or more of Prog's subgenres. You'll live and learn: Myself I found it ridiculous to discover Metallica here until relistening to my old copy of ...And Justice For All (and later even Master of Puppets) double vinyl with a different mindset.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - October 26 2014 at 08:25
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 08:24
the most interesting polls are those with the most obvious left out. Then again, I would think Floyd would be the most obvious of the options here, yet I forgot about the substantial Genesis bobble-head fanclub that resides here.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the most interesting polls are those with the most obvious left out. Then again, I would think Floyd would be the most obvious of the options here, yet I forgot about the substantial Genesis bobble-head fanclub that resides here.

Ha ha, PA needs a micky to take the mickey out of the Genesis fanboys.  LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 12:33
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I knew this was coming as I said that I've been at this for a while.

First off, like most people, you confuse influence with imitation. They are not the same thing. Silent Lucidity is a facsimile of a Pink Floyd song, and that is not influence. Michael Kaman's score should helped to give that away along with the myriad of Floyd recording tricks.

The rest of the album, btw, owes no 'influence' to Floyd. The following song's are Queensryche's alone: Best that I Can, The Thin Line, Jet City Woman, Della Brown, Another Rainy Night, Empire, Resistance and Hand On Heart. 

Are your starting to realize the difference between influence and imitation?

Confusion?  No, I don't think there is any confusion, neither from your side nor mine.  What I am quite sure of is you are pretty adept at shifting the goalposts as per your convenience.  If it's just influence you are interested in, I have already established that a few pages now.  I believe it was you who introduced the wrinkle that there are no Floyd-clones like Genesis-neo prog (I will come to this point a bit later).  And it was in this context I pointed out slabs of music that are very Floyd-like even in songs of bands that would not count Floyd as a dominant influence.  Er, I am afraid you first need to decide whether your original question was really one of sincere inquiry or are you just trying to manufacture arguments that 'help' you conclude that no influence is significant as long as the source is Floyd?

Anyhow, we'll start with Silent Lucidity.  First off, no, it's not a facsimile.  The song actually has metal riffs in the background during the spoken voice bit so that's not like Floyd at all.  And Tate's delivery is pure metal again, especially once he gets out of the low pitched intro.  A facsimile would have to be an exact or near exact facsimile.  You don’t have to take my word for it as far as the meaning of the word goes.  According to the Merriam Webster dictionary as well, facsimile is “an exact copy”.  You may shift goal posts if you wish (though that makes the discussion process much more difficult) but you cannot change the plain meaning of English words. 

Secondly, it has nothing to do with Kamen’s arrangements or Floyd’s recording tricks.  I cited the VOCAL MELODY of the opening verse, which is very similar in places to Mother.  As far as I know, note-similarity in vocal melodies cannot be attributed to arrangements or recording tricks.  I am also aware that the band as such is not strongly influenced by Floyd and, though Empire is a pretty boring album, I too do not recall any Floyd like moments in say Jet City Woman.  Here’s the thing.  Nearly everybody has heard a Floyd album at one point or the other.  With the result that there is a deeply embedded Floyd influence that creeps in at some point or the other in the work of many, many bands.  My friend is a prog rock musician and not a particularly big fan of Floyd though he does respect them and he has, by self admission, been influenced by Floyd in writing some guitar parts.  Prog rockers, I find, think influence is just structure or arrangements.  That is a very prog, and narrow, point of view.  There’s also the meat: the vocal melodies, the riffs, the chords, that is, the parts.  While Floyd may not have stuck to definite patterns in the way they develop music owing to their flexibility, there are definite patterns in their melodies, riffs and chords that Floyd fans can certainly recognise immediately as the signature of their band.  Some such Floyd fans, serious or casual, go on to become musicians and traces of Floyd can be found in their music.  To argue that such influence is insignificant would be disingenuous in the extreme because that would tantamount to saying that significant influence of Beatles is measured only by those bands that cloned them and not by those who were inspired by them to make music.  And by the way, to reiterate, Silent Lucidity is not a one off.  I can go on with many, many such examples of various bands from a variety of genres.  You may pretend that is not influence if it suits you, but I shall recognise it quickly for what it is: a pretence and no more.

Moving on to the question of what genres Floyd spawned, I think it would take a strong case of musical blindness to deny their role in the development of pyschedelic and space rock and, through their Barrett albums, on Krautrock as well.  Sure, they share that honour with Doors, Jefferson Airplane and to a lesser extent Beatles (Revolver), Hawkwind following a bit later.  It is not exclusive, but they are one of the most significant influences on a vast majority of bands in these genres.  And this is where I return to neo prog and Genesis.  I am quite familiar with Marillion, IQ and Twelfth Night, three of the most important neo prog bands.  None of these bands would count only Genesis as their source material.  Twelfth Night actually have a bit of NWOBHM (which can also be heard in Marillion’s Garden Party track) going on.  Marillion and IQ are both also influenced by Rush.  Pink Floyd also rears its ugly head again when it comes to Marillion and not just in the form of Gilmour leads.  The riffs of Brick in the Wall are evoked when guitar takes over in Assassing.  So the claim that each and every neo prog band is just a Genesis clone is mostly a figment of the fertile imagination of Genesis fanatics and little more. One Grendel does not a Genesis clone make.

Again, that was just one example with respect to Marillion. So don’t rush to pretend you’ve got to just refute that to negate the argument.  I cannot and will not spend time enumerating each and every such instance, so do not insult my intelligence.  As it is you who wish to claim that Floyd ‘s influence is not so significant, going against conventional wisdom which holds that Floyd is one of the most influential rock bands of all times, it is really up to you to explain why.  And if you don’t have any interest in doing so, that is your choice.  But in that case do remember that when you point fingers at people saying they only hear what they want to hear, three of your own point right back at you.  Such claims are neither very convincing nor very pleasant.  As far as I am concerned, Floyd's influence on music as a whole is far deeper than that of any prog rock band save Kraftwerk.  Um, Miles Davis isn't really a prog ROCK artist but yeah, him too.  And I would go so far as to state that only prog rock fans could possibly believe that is not the case.

Now who's shifting goal posts?

Let's get get back to influence vs imitation, because without understanding the difference all of your above exposition is useless. There are many cliched explanations of influence but I'll give you a real life one that's easier to understand.

When I was working as a second engineer recording for an American metal band that had 'ghoulish' overtones to their music I was given the task of recording a piano intro for one song. Their keyboardist tried to record a creepy piano intro to one song that kept coming out sounding cliched or cartoonish. It just didn't have any gravitas. We knocked off for the night and would try again the next day.

The following day's sessions produced any almost similar intro but was slightly different at points and really had the gravitas that the music called for. The keyboard player said that he was listening to Floyd records the night before and decided to incorporate Rick Wright's use of D minor with a major 7th as well G major 7th suspended second to his verse chords.

The resulting creepy intro sounded nothing like Pink Floyd, or Rick Wright for that matter.

That was influence without being imitative. The keyboard player and his composition still sounded and was original.

Please think on this for a while, RT, before you shoot back another post to me.

Edited by SteveG - October 26 2014 at 13:41
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 13:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ha ha, PA needs a micky to take the mickey out of the Genesis fanboys.  LOL

remember the extinct species known as the PA's DT fanclub.. good times! LOL  You used to not be able to take a step here without tripping over a DT thread.  I'm not sure if it was us.. or the group itself that killed them off. Genesis would be a tougher task to erradicate.. at least Genesis could do a good pop song.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 14:23

remember the extinct species known as the PA's DT fanclub.. good times! LOL  You used to not be able to take a step here without tripping over a DT thread.  I'm not sure if it was us.. or the group itself that killed them off. Genesis would be a tougher task to erradicate.. at least Genesis could do a good pop song.

Just like the Osmonds, New Kids on The Block, Spice Girls, and Justin Bieber-fangirls most DT-fanboys simply grow out of that phase. The latter group discovered better prog through the PA-board while the former groups just grew older. There's no hope for the Genesís fanboys who's generally far too old to change (I love Genesis myself btw. I just don't consider them to be among the ten most influential bands in prog)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 14:37

Just like the Osmonds, New Kids on The Block, Spice Girls, and Justin Bieber-fangirls most DT-fanboys simply grow out of that phase. The latter group discovered better prog through the PA-board while the former groups just grew older. There's no hope for the Genesís fanboys who's generally far too old to change (I love Genesis myself btw. I just don't consider them to be among the ten most influential bands in prog)

I do think DT likely ran off a bunch of their own fans, I'd like to think those fans have grown up are sitting around diggin' RPI  and all the cool modern (crossover) groups that have been the leading edge of progressive rock in this second decade of the 21st century.

However I think it was metal not the prog  that was the base appeal to those fans,  I'm sure they are digging whatever flavor of the month prog-metal band is popular now or just left the prog out and gone full metal.

Funny. I have  the exact opposite view of Genesis.  I think they were FAR superior as pop musicians than they ever were as prog musicians and I think history and public tastes bear that out. Sure prog fan will sit in their ivory towers and scoff at the inferior tastes of the unwashed masses but it is what it is.  Being a complete progressive and complex monster did not stop ELP from being one of the world's top bands, nor Yes.  Genesis did not have IT whatever it was, and didn't find it till they turned to pop music.  I love their pop stuff always have, but find very very little of interest in their prog attempts.

However disregarding personal tastes and opinions on their actual music..  I can't with a straight face not say they were not extremely influential. Not to the 1st generation but to later generation. Face it, most groups do not have the skill to pull off what KC did, nor YES, nor ESPECIALLY ELP which needs a complete master like Emerson to work which is why there are so few ELP knock-offs. HOwever Genesis is an easy band for the less skilled to enjoy and emulate, thus giving rise to easy-listening pub prog that was neo. IMO they have to be in the  top 5 of any prog infuence list, but definitely a step below the real innovators and influential groups.

all my two cents of course. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:58
Perhaps you're right, Micky. But whether the bands in question are able to pull it off or not, KC (most often in combination with electric Miles and selected Krautrock) are being namedropped everywhere and all the time as an influence where I live. And KC's influence goes way beyond the prog clique. Really. While prog era Genesis (and Yes) seemingly influenced (or influences) more of a closed circuit of bands operating in a spesific "prog-preservation society".

Regarding ELP I don't think they've had much influence on other artists after the mid-70's at all. And I must admit that I suspect the reason a band once as obscure as VdGG are now a much bigger influence than ELP, has less to do with skills and all the more to do with how the listening experience resonates with the younger generations of prognerds. Dark, gloomy, existential stuff (although sometimes just as cringeworthy lyricwise) usually wins over showmanship and show offy virtuosity in the long run.

BTW: If prog was a complexity contest I would think it would be more of a challenge to pull off or replicate some of the stuff Gentle Giant did than ELP.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>