Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Most Influential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Poll Question: Who's the most influential artist here on PA?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [15.49%]
4 [5.63%]
15 [21.13%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [9.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
17 [23.94%]
3 [4.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
5 [7.04%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 23:17
Genesis have the illusion of being more influential than other bands because they had a sound that was easier to imitate(easier to imitate than say Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson or VDGG for example).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 02:58
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Genesis have the illusion of being more influential than other bands because they had a sound that was easier to imitate(easier to imitate than say Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson or VDGG for example).

what makes it easier?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

what makes it easier?

I'll take a stab at that Richard

not everyone can be Squire, nor Emerson, nor Bruford. Musicians whose immense talent their bands revolved around.  Genesis had for lack of a better word, a bit of a generic, perhaps a better word for it is an understated sound that unlike many of their peers did not emphasize stellar chops and scream virtuosity.  They emphasized a group sound more than being built around talents that very few could really emulate.  It is one thing to learn to play one's music, to copy a group's sound, many keyboardists can Emerson's stuff. The first thing I learned on bass was something by Rush.  The brilliance with them and those musicians (thus the groups) is not the actual talent and how they played but what they played ..the ability to use that talent and create music to stand the test of time. That is why in particular Emerson and ELP is highly regarded and influential... so infrequently emulated as the singular lead of a group. You have to have MAJOR stones and talent to carry that off. Not everyone can do that. Genesis though..  much easier I suppose to emulate in sound. It is .. well... just there. Very non disinct.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 09:37
Genesis have paved the way for about the entire Neo-Prog scene and some bands in the Xover and Symphonic genres. Moreover, Peter Gabriel is an archetypical vocalist. King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator may be far more experimental, but their influence is only marginal compared to that of Genesis and Pink Floyd.

Edited by someone_else - October 28 2014 at 09:38
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 10:03
Roxy Music should be in the poll, as they are quite influencial, in the 80s, and also some prog and glam bands vere inspired by them, even David Bowie!

Edited by Icarium - October 28 2014 at 10:03
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 10:12
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Roxy Music should be in the poll, as they are quite influencial, in the 80s, and also some prog and glam bands vere inspired by them, even David Bowie!

This applies to Roxy Music and David Bowie as well:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I think there is an obvious omission in the above list - The Beatles. Like them or not, they were hugely influential in the development of progressive rock as we know it, and their influence remains to this day.
I like them, but I left them out on purpose as I don't really agree that the belong here on PA. Or its not that I mind them being here so much. More correctly I only included bands/artists I consider to have released atleast one genuinely progressive album (which is why I left out Doors and Hendrix as well) Rather subjective I guess, but according to a kind of prog consensus Beatles doesn't have a progalbum. When discussing the most influential progressive band or artist I think of Beatles as belonging among those who paved the way rather than being a genuine part of Prog.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 10:31
The soundscapes with those deep and heavy riffs often in combination with gloomy melancholic washes of mellotron that we hear in King Crimson 1973-74 (Red in particular) is one of the most distinctly recoginzable sounds or effects we hear in prog since the genre had its revival in the early 90's with Anglagard/Anekdoten and on. This can also be found in plenty of modern rockoriented jazz. 

I do however agree that an awful amount of bad progvocalists ruins plenty of potentially great albums doing their Peter Gabriel-with-a-serious-constipation-problem-soundalike singing (especially among the second tier RPI-groups).

Edited by Saperlipopette! - October 28 2014 at 14:30
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 14:02

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

And I'm a bit confused about Miles Davis as far as what specific prog rock bands he influenced. I can see jazz fusion of course but prog rock..?
Confused
Reading the poll question+opening post usually helps 

Thanks for pointing that out...you didn't limit it to prog bands only....I assumed since this was under 'prog polls' it was only about that area.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 14:06
^All the artists in the poll are on PA so it felt like the proper place for it. But I thought it more interesting to discuss those artists influence in general rather than who's to blame for Neo-Prog. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 14:09
*snicker*
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 15:21
I couldn't decide on what basis to judge influence. Zappa has always been influential on various musical levels, and in bringing forth and training a whole host of talented musicians. Few bands I can think of that try to capture an overall Zappa sound, though. King Crimson motivated a lot of bands to pursue Symphonic Prog in a very general sense, but in the end, the only thing that sounds like ITCOCK is In the Wake of Poseidon. Jethro Tull sparked the pairing of flute with crunchy guitar early on with Focus and Jade Warrior, but that influence continues to be felt nowadays only here at PA. I don't have any idea who Pink Floyd influenced. Maybe there's a good answer in one of the posts that I frankly haven't read (I've been short on time lately). I voted for Genesis based on it's influence on Marillion, TFK, Big Big Train, and so on. Also based on its large number of tribute bands. I don't know that this is the best answer.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 15:25

^All the artists in the poll are on PA so it felt like the proper place for it. But I thought it more interesting to discuss those artists influence in general rather than who's to blame for Neo-Prog. 

prog is actually to 'blame' for neo prog

Edited by richardh - October 28 2014 at 15:26
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 13:52
All artists here are influential, but I'll vote for King Crimson.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678