Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 23:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!

I was merely poking fun at the "no Floyd without Barrett" remark, though I'm sure they're out there. LOL

I like Pros & Cons as well.
Versible big hug HugI dedicate this song to you Approve awww from 1.13min Clapton guitar tunes kills it awwww big wow amazing lead and response throughout between vocals and guitars  CryThumbs UpHeart another big hug to you !!! xxxxx
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 01:19
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

Down and Out is a great song. Genesis were one of the few prog bands who were able to condense the prog sound into shorter tracks. This album is very much in the vein of Wind and Wuthering, just condensed. I seriously wonder if people who say Genesis became a pop band after Wind and Wuthering even bothered to listen to this one.

the equation is short songs = not prog

in reality its short songs = not symphonic prog
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 01:26
I have no problem with the 3 member Genesis band, as long as they don't sing "I can't dance" arghhh in this case I much prefer to hear that frog song Paul McCartney "bum bum bum hurry up ;) " xxxx
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:47

I have no problem with the 3 member Genesis band, as long as they don't sing "I can't dance" arghhh in this case I much prefer to hear that frog song Paul McCartney "bum bum bum hurry up ;) " xxxx

How about George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set On You"? LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:49

Versible big hug HugI dedicate this song to you Approve awww from 1.13min Clapton guitar tunes kills it awwww big wow amazing lead and response throughout between vocals and guitars  CryThumbs UpHeart another big hug to you !!! xxxxx

Aww, thank you so much, Kati! Yeah, Clapton wails like a mutha on P&C. Too bad he didn't do the whole tour.

What do you think of Gilmour's solo albums?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:54

HAHAHAHA!!! I got mind set on you, hahaha VersibleLOL to do it, to do it, to it hahahaha I got my mind set on you hahaha!! I actually like that song and the gagum gagum guitar tune too and the sax hihihihi sorry but I do hahaha!! :) xxxx hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:58

Aww, thank you so much, Kati! Yeah, Clapton wails like a mutha on P&C. Too bad he didn't do the whole tour.

What do you think of Gilmour's solo albums?
Awww my pleasure really Versible, Hug both Clapton in Prons and Cons of Hitchhiking and Jeff Beck in Amused to Death are brilliant albums, to be honest Gilmour solo albums didn't effect or touch me as much as these two. Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 03:02
This is good tho' not fab tho' just nice Approve common blues guitar tune here.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 03:10

HAHAHAHA!!! I got mind set on you, hahaha VersibleLOL to do it, to do it, to it hahahaha I got my mind set on you hahaha!! I actually like that song and the gagum gagum guitar tune too and the sax hihihihi sorry but I do hahaha!! :) xxxx hugs Hug

It's going to take money
A whole lot of spending money

LOL
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 03:22

It's going to take money
A whole lot of spending money

LOL
hahaha if you don't bounce with this, your body is stone cold hahaha!!! xxxx now lets go dance on bar table, the closing your nose wiggling down diving equalizing gesture Big smile tops while knowing that no one knows us there while knowing that we will never turn back there hehehe hehehe LOL
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 03:30
hahahyaha! me again off topic, after George Harrison and bounce bits it reminded me of this another ahum bounce, bounce, ahum terireriretumtum ... nanahna nanana .... hihihi love this one too Big smile bounce! love the bass guitar break too! Thumbs Up happy bounce Hug
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 09:59
^^^Sounds a bit like Duke, doesn't it? WinkLOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 11:31
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Jebus YOU must have something better than that to spin SURELY!!! Im finding this quite hilarious - "Down & Out" one of the best songs that Genesis ever recorded.....I'll have to check the URL  surely I'm logged onto http://www.teenybopperworld.com or summat similar.....Stern Smile
It's always refreshing to get input from open minded members with a deep tolerance for other member's musical tastes and preferences.  Keep up the good work Barney, you're doing splendidly!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Relayer71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:46
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Ok, I'll be that guy. The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about.  It's easy for it to fall into the background and sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and the next begins. It's still undeniably a good album, but I haven't been able to enjoy more than a surface-level appreciation of it.

I sort of agree.  This album took me a while to get into and I now love it and think it's underrated but the sound quality is what irks me the most and keeps it from being better appreciated. 

Mushy is a good word, also murky and dull and it doesn't help that this is the sound I'm referring to but these adjectives can also apply to the actual content on a couple of tracks.  Same with Wind & Wuthering, though the 5.1 and stereo remasters really improve the sound.

There really is some great material on this album though, and I don't understand why some say it's not "proggy" enough or too pop.  I think Duke is when they started to sound more pop although that album still has plenty of prog elements.  

Down And Out, Ballad of Big, Deep In The Motherlode, and The Lady Lies are standout tracks.

I could have done without Say It's Alright Joe and Scenes From A Night's Dream.

The rest of the album is a bit dull and Phil singing, "Pretty Mama" on Many Too Many nearly ruins that track for me, lol    

Relayer71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:54
Oh, and I actually don't mind Follow You, Follow Me!  It was on the end of the album which was a great choice and doesn't ruin the general flow of it.  And over the years I've actually come to really like it. 
It's pop and a bit too cute but it's catchy and listenable in the way that Turn It On Again and Your Own Special Way were.   Nowhere as bad as Alone Tonight or Please Don't Ask from Duke.  Those were just terrible, cheesy, hokey.
Relayer71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Gotta love those Banksynths.

Phil comes to his own on this album, vocally, though Duke is really a much better example.  As much as I love Gabriel (and prefer him to Phil on vocals), he could not have done this song justice.  Phil's voice, timing, melodic sensibility really works on this track.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Jebus YOU must have something better than that to spin SURELY!!! Im finding this quite hilarious - "Down & Out" one of the best songs that Genesis ever recorded.....I'll have to check the URL  surely I'm logged onto http://www.teenybopperworld.com or summat similar.....Stern Smile
It's always refreshing to get input from open minded members with a deep tolerance for other member's musical tastes and preferences.  Keep up the good work Barney, you're doing splendidly!
Seriously? There is no-one more open-minded than me - I own (vinyl & CD) and have listened to ATTWT quite a few times , I daresay that some people probably think this is as good as Genesis gets - It's bound to be somebodies favourite Genesis Release. Anyway , this is a forum and I was just espousing the alternative take on "Wall of Sound" hyperbole that was opined.....You can listen to Celine Dion for all I care and think that her catastrophic caterwauling is the very best thing you can put in your ears......
I probably won't ever play ATTWT again (though I will occasionally spin FYFM to the wife to lubricate for lasciviousness so to speak!) LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:48
^Yes, referring to Celine Dion's singing as 'caterwalling' is quite open minded. My mistake.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 14:47
It's as good an adjective as anything else and since I used catastrophic , I decided that Alliteration was leading me to caterwauling.....Basically your childish assertion that if somebody sl*g. off one thing in a myriad of possible things...they are essentially closed minded.....How wonderfully homogenous your world must be! To like every single thing equally...... - how magnificently open minded you are sir....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:17

^I do not live in a world where everyone likes everything, that's why the concept of tolerance was created.

Edited by SteveG - November 20 2014 at 15:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>