Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarless and Bible Black: King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starless and Bible Black: King Crimson
    Posted: October 27 2014 at 09:10
One of my favs from KC that's more accessible when I'm not in the mood for the complexity of LTIA (as great as it is) and is a perfect set up for Red. What's your take on SaBB?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 09:14
My take is it's a 4 star album for sure but then I'm a KC fan. Great Deceiver and Nightwatch  are 2 of my favorite tracks by them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:02
Its perfect to my ears. I prefer it to LTIA it seems (as I too spin it more often) + its got Fracture. 
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:12
im actually trying to get into this album alot on Youtube, though right now it's mainly The Great Deceiver, Lament*, The Night Watch, and Fracture* that are getting me for now ("*" represents my faves at the moment). the main reason for this is that alot of the studio material is getting brought down by Youtube, which sucks. the only way to listen is to actually buy them, mainly through online (which my parents are not big fans of which makes sense). awwwww, man...... Cry if you can't already tell, i've now become a KC fan for a few months now, but only for their 70's stuff (FOR NOW!!!! IM GOING BY ERA EVEN THOUGH I KNOW OTHER TRACKS FROM THEIR LATER PERIODS!!!!!!!)
Progrockdude
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:14
A lesser album from their 70's output. Does not really click with me anyway. If I should rate it, I may round it up to 3 stars when I'm in a good mood.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

im actually trying to get into this album alot on Youtube, though right now it's mainly The Great Deceiver, Lament*, The Night Watch, and Fracture* that are getting me for now ("*" represents my faves at the moment). the main reason for this is that alot of the studio material is getting brought down by Youtube, which sucks. the only way to listen is to actually buy them, mainly through online (which my parents are not big fans of which makes sense). awwwww, man...... Cry if you can't already tell, i've now become a KC fan for a few months now, but only for their 70's stuff (FOR NOW!!!! IM GOING BY ERA EVEN THOUGH I KNOW OTHER TRACKS FROM THEIR LATER PERIODS!!!!!!!)

For what it's worth, KC albums on cd are among the easiest prog rock records you're ever going to come across, maybe except for Floyd. This usually means that they often wind up in the discount bin (at least where i live). 
Anyways, it'll be Christmas in no time and KC just might be the only sort of prog your family is likely to findWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:42
I've always had trouble getting into it.  Always vastly preferred LTiA.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:52
A great Crimson album with so many great songs: Great Deceiver, Night Watch, Trio, Fracture, Lament. Most of the material work better live than studio in my ears.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:00
I enjoy it almost as much as lark's tongues and more than Red
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Pretty much this.
I recently bought a vinyl copy of it, which made me reinvestigate and I honestly haven't looked back since. I even love the title track with all of it's meandering improvisation. Took me a little while to get there, but now it's one of my faves on the album.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 13:39
4/5 stars for me.

I find the improvs to be hit and miss, but I can't condemn King Crimson for going that route if they can get some good stuff out of it. It's amazing that they formed "Trio" out of thin air like that. In fact, I think I'll try to find the Great Deceiver sets to see if they had any other neat improvs.

There's also some little stuff I like. I like the call and response between Cross' violin and Fripp's guitar in the first half of "Lament" and Bruford's destructo-march in the second half, the proto-80's-era sound of "The Great Deceiver" and the sheer beauty of "The Night Watch". "Fracture" is probably the one I have the most fond memories of, reminding me of the Pomeranian that my family used to own barking her little head off to Bruford's chime section. Don't get me wrong, "Fracture" itself holds up very well on its hold and is a tour-de-force of Fripp's guitar work, plus the rest of the band does a fantastic job complementing the piece.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Fearabsentia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 14:25
It's my personal favorite KC album along with 'The Power to Believe'.

I find it complex, yet easily enjoyable. It has a good balance of catchy heavy rock songs like 'The Great Deceiver' and 'Lament', and more complex compositions like 'We'll Let You Know' and 'Fracture'.

I think it's their most underrated album. 
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 16:04
S&BB felt like being inside of a building where theres's a dark cavern, some abandoned labos with spineless, slow enormous insects with human skin inside.

Red = less nervous and playful, but "assured". Thanks to Providence, without which Red would lack of substance, we can enjoy a last surge of thrilling tension before the dusky Starless, intense also but with less tension.

LTIA-S&BB-Red :

I could judge each album from the technical stance, the overall balance or structures at every level, or the general mood, but instead I prefer to consider them like three parts of one same "story".

As for the live albums that came later, some great improvs, but no other improv sound better than the edited improvs on S&BB and Red, Fripp talks being the bonus

Edited by jayem - August 07 2018 at 14:24
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:16
It's got "The Great Deceiver", "Lament" and "Fracture" so it can only be a hit! Star
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:22
You can't go wrong with this era of Crimson!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Pretty much this.
I recently bought a vinyl copy of it, which made me reinvestigate and I honestly haven't looked back since. I even love the title track with all of it's meandering improvisation. Took me a little while to get there, but now it's one of my faves on the album.

+1

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:30
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Dude really?? Buy the music Big smile......at minimum go to Amazon or other and buy the mp3 download files. Don't use your parents credit cards, get a prepaid Visa/MC...do chores for cash and reload the card. Smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:36
There are no mp3s of KC for sale anywhere.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:53
Straless & Bible Black is certainly not the finest KC album but on its own merits, it remains the one I am most fond of. I remember the day I got it (it was my bday and my lovely French girlfriend at the time put it in my hands ) and the same impression I had then in 1974 is still effervescing today.    
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:59
Hated it the first time I listened and really liked it the second time. I'm curious to know what's my opinion the next time I listen Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>