Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 07:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Magma v. Hawkwind - this sucks ass, not a good match up for Hawkwind BIG TIME SUCK ASSAGE.. I cried out loud when the dice gods allowed this matchup in the 1st round. Think I'll go Hawkwind though not sure

I won't know how I'll vote until I step into the voting booth on that one.  Leaning Hawkwind, but then I start thinking about Stella and  the other Vander..  forgot his name LOL and start to tip back to Magma.

I might go scanners on that one.

and that whole Rome bracket is full of tough choices btw.  No a single 'no doubter' vote for me.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 07:10
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Wow, I know less than half of these. Gonna have to take some serious headphones time.

Thumbs Up  any excuse, even this silliness, is a good excuse.Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 11:37
Maybe this should be a round robin tournament with four groups competing for spots in the Final Four (or final eight)--like they do in the tennis year-end championships? That way we can really draw this sucker out!

BTW:  I'm glad you went to the 64 "team" format instead of the 32.

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 27 2014 at 12:10
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 12:38
I know I’m coming in late, here, folks, but I cannot help but react to some of the band choices based on Mickey and Raff’s initial criteria of “overall impact, influence and popularity.”

GLARING OVERSIGHTS:

Who has had more impact and influence than Tool, Miles Davis, Robert Wyatt, Peter Gabriel, Klaus Schulze or Peter Hammill?

Who is more popular than IQ, Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend, or Haken?

Have bands like Talk Talk, Traffic, Osanna, Ange, Atheist, Bo Hanssen and Diablo Swing Orchestra really had moreoverall impact, influence and popularity” than National Health, UK, Khan, Solaris, Eloy, Neurosis, Iona, Big Big Train, or Kayo Dot? than Tool, Miles Davis, Robert Wyatt, Peter Gabriel, Klaus Schulze or Peter Hammill? than IQ, Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend, or Haken? Really?!! I mean REALLY??!!!!!!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 13:07
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I know I’m coming in late, here, folks, but I cannot help but react to some of the band choices based on Mickey and Raff’s initial criteria of “overall impact, influence and popularity.”

GLARING OVERSIGHTS:

Who has had more impact and influence than Tool, Miles Davis, Robert Wyatt, Peter Gabriel, Klaus Schulze or Peter Hammill?

Have bands like Talk Talk, Traffic, Osanna, Ange, Atheist, Bo Hanssen and Diablo Swing Orchestra really had moreoverall impact, influence and popularity” than National Health, UK, Khan, Solaris, Eloy, Neurosis, Iona, Big Big Train, or Kayo Dot? than Tool, Miles Davis, Robert Wyatt, Peter Gabriel, Klaus Schulze or Peter Hammill? than IQ, Iron Maiden, Devin Townsend, or Haken? Really?!! I mean REALLY??!!!!!!

Ange and Bo Hanssen are definitely weaker choices, maybe Mickey would be open to swapping. IQ should be first up to be swapped in.

Atheist made really big ripples in most of the metal world in their heyday. Two fantastic albums right when Death went prog/tech. Popular and at the least opened to door to Cynic, really death jazz is their creation.

Miles was, unfortunately, disqualified due to being such a massive genre buster throughout jazz. He has three really big phases with cool, modal, and fusion, and then so much more, so he was thought of as so transcendental a jazz figure that he didn't fit in. Tough choice.

The Maiden is extraordinarily popular, of course, but they aren't too much into prog. Including them would certainly lead to complaints about them being included.

Gabriel is popular, but ended up with more influence in World music rather than prog, or even post-punk and industrial off of [Melt].

Schulze has no where near the visibility of Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk, so unfortunately he's at the back of the line. Larger groupings would and should include him.

National Health isn't even the most well known here on the Archives. Plus I don't see much influence beyond Canterbury revivalists. I love their self titled, but I would resist including them.

Khan is one of our hidden gems. And again, I don't see so much influence.

Big Big Train and Haken are well known and loved here, but haven't influenced much as of yet. Later brackets like this would probably include them as bands take after these modern giants.

Iona? I don't get it.

Just wanted to try and explain some things. And it is rather difficult to make these and inevitably they're incomplete.

Edited by Lear'sFool - November 27 2014 at 14:09
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 13:33
^^^
It's a game guys! It doesn't really matter who is included and who is not. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 13:35

GLARING OVERSIGHTS - BANDS I LIKE!!!

GET RID OF - BANDS I HATE!!!

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - November 27 2014 at 13:36
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 14:12

GLARING OVERSIGHTS - BANDS I LIKE!!!

GET RID OF - BANDS I HATE!!!

Clap

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. People who have no actual connection to real sports teams take that way too seriously as well.

Sure When Michigan gets knocked out of the tournament I feel bad for John Behlein and the guys but it has no direct effect on me.

Edited by bhikkhu - November 27 2014 at 14:14
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 14:44

I don't like Magma so i think we could get rid of them after all since when did they influence anyone or really, they're about as popular as a dose of the clap. 

(This post has absolutely nothing to do with my irrational adoration of Hawkwind and anyone who insinuates otherwise is an internet bully).
Help me I'm falling!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 14:52
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

^^^
It's a game guys! It doesn't really matter who is included and who is not. 

Looking back, I have no idea why I decided to respond. Wacko  I do dumb things sometimes. Oh well.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 14:53
Magma created a whole genre!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:00
Just to clarify, I haven't had a lot to do with the selection of the 64 bands currently listed in this game. I do not have a lot of time these days, and when I am at home I generally have a lot of other things to do. In any case, the current list of bands has taken the suggestions of other posters into account, and - as I have stated on at least a couple of occasions - is not based on our personal tastes. I love Khan and National Health, but I don't see them as influential in any way.

As to Iron Maiden, they are one of my favourite bands, and I agree that they are both influential and popular - but many people don't agree with having them listed as Prog Related, let alone prog. Many of the bands and artists in PR are way more popular (even a commercial sense) and influential than most full-fledged prog bands: before including Iron Maiden, we should have included Queen, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple at the very least.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:01

GLARING OVERSIGHTS:

Smile  It is a game Drew.  I generally tried to consider some factors in picking groups, but once it went to 64 we didn't conisider that as much as fun bands and potential fun matchups.

Honestly once you get past the first 10-20 bands in terms of influence and importance.. the next 50 or 60 could be tossed into and drawn from a hat. Some will get left off unless we went to 128 LOLLOL

Edited by micky - November 27 2014 at 15:02
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:17
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

GLARING OVERSIGHTS:

Ange and Bo Hanssen are definitely weaker choices, maybe Mickey would be open to swapping. IQ should be first up to be swapped in.

Atheist made really big ripples in most of the metal world in their heyday. Two fantastic albums right when Death went prog/tech. Popular and at the least opened to door to Cynic, really death jazz is their creation.

Miles was, unfortunately, disqualified due to being such a massive genre buster throughout jazz. He has three really big phases with cool, modal, and fusion, and then so much more, so he was thought of as so transcendental a jazz figure that he didn't fit in. Tough choice.

The Maiden is extraordinarily popular, of course, but they aren't too much into prog. Including them would certainly lead to complaints about them being included.

Gabriel is popular, but ended up with more influence in World music rather than prog, or even post-punk and industrial off of [Melt].

Schulze has no where near the visibility of Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk, so unfortunately he's at the back of the line. Larger groupings would and should include him.

National Health isn't even the most well known here on the Archives. Plus I don't see much influence beyond Canterbury revivalists. I love their self titled, but I would resist including them.

Khan is one of our hidden gems. And again, I don't see so much influence.

Big Big Train and Haken are well known and loved here, but haven't influenced much as of yet. Later brackets like this would probably include them as bands take after these modern giants.

Iona? I don't get it.

Just wanted to try and explain some things. And it is rather difficult to make these and inevitably they're incomplete.

one note.

I think you may be underestimated Hansson's overall impact in prog.  Ask any Swedish band who are their prime influences and his name comes up. He was considered a living legend there. He is the father of the progressive music scene there and no country today has a more vibrant progressive rock scene.  Not to mention being very popular in his own right back in  the day in England and the states.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:21

one note.

I think you may be underestimated Hansson's overall impact in prog.  Ask any Swedish band who are their prime influences and his name comes up. He was considered a living legend there. He is the father of the progressive music scene there and no country today has a more vibrant progressive rock scene.  Not to mention being very popular in his own right back in  the day in England and the states.

Ah, that would be why there was Anglagard and the other Swedish prog revivalists of the early nineties. My mistake. You learn something new everyday here on PA.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:30
no mistake.  The onus is on the fun aspect, but just a note that the list wasn't done totally pulled from my ass. If they are on the list they fit the criteria, my point being, once you got past the real movers and shakers (say the first 10 or 15 bands that had SIGNIFICANT impact) you could flip coins for the next big bunch of 60 or 70 important bands.  I sort of went all encompassing. Lots of choices for lots of tastes. That is why .. what.. 10% of the list are prog metal bands.  It is supposed to be fun, and inclusive.  One could have easily left it at DT and Opeth or even ignored prog metal entirely as some are prone to do haha.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:33
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

one note.

Ah, that would be why there was Anglagard and the other Swedish prog revivalists of the early nineties. My mistake. You learn something new everyday here on PA.

Indeed. When I interviewed Alexander Skepp and Gabriel Tapper of Gosta Berlings Saga at NEARfest 2012, they told me that Bo Hansson had been one of the biggest influences on their music (and they are not exactly a retro-prog band).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:38
^ where is that interview.  I was going to ask you about that. On your blog or done for someone else? That was a really interesting interview, especially about the scene there.  I learned a bit myself listening to you interview them. Quite  the interesting scene they have there.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:42
Here: http://progmistress.com/2012/07/06/interview-gosta-berlings-saga/  I apologize for the less than stellar quality of the recording (I used my digital camera to record the interview), but it was definitely a very nice experience.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 15:48
my god your voice is so freakin hot...  you should have listened to me and done the 1-900 number thing instead of teaching self entitiled government employees foreign languages hahahah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>